Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,412 members, 7,830,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 (11823 Views)

Atiku Is Not Considering Igbos After 22 Years Servitude / 2023: Don’t Repeat What Rivers Did To Igbos After Biafra War – HURIWA Warns Good / Thieves Break Into Crowther Seth, Adamawa Deputy Governor's Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 4:25pm On Dec 03, 2021
Igboid:

Do you have evidence that Crowther could speak Igbo?
Nope!
Do you have evidence that Crowther preached to Igbos in Igboland? Nope.

All you are interested in is your foolish ego and stupidity to claim superiority over a people who you are no match to in any aspect of human development in the past present or future.

Get away you.

The Igbo Books Bishop Ajayi Crowther wrote are evidence

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 03, 2021
GBOKASINCHA:
mumu colonize where? When igbos don colonize 80percent of lagos I wonder how the future of the next generation of lagosians will be.....most will be igbos or half igbos.... ofe mmanu wey no get sense

Like how Nigerians colonize London now, right? Has it ever occurred to you clowns that people flock from less developed regions to more developed regions?

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 4:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
seanwilliam:
wetin be this for Christ sake . grin

Foolishness

It was Divine Providence that Gen Gowon was President when the War ended and not Muritala Mohammed

God Truely loves the Igbo Nation
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
christistruth01:

Bishop Ajayi Crowther was as indigene of Osogun near Iseyin in Oyo State

Cassava came to Nigeria from South America and Lagos had an entire Brazilian Quarters with thousands of returnee slaves

Don't waste your time enlightening a Igbo. He'll drop the knowledge in the next minute and wail on with what his grandpa told him after a palwine binge.

5 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
christistruth01:

Christians Brought to Nigeria

Cassava
Cocoa
Maize
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes

Can Nigeria do without these today ?

You can't compare that with the great things Islam brought to Nigeria:

ISWAP
Boko Haram
IEDs
Child marriage
Stoning
Economic backwardness etc.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Don't waste your time enlightening a Igbo. He'll drop the knowledge in the next minute and wail on with what his grandpa told him after a palwine binge.

Grandpa probably told the truth. Uncle Chukwudiebele is the problem. He didn't go to school when his mates were going. His only education was the one he got from his master as a second hand clothes seller. His is loud and a heavy drinker and he is an "expert " in the history of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

The Funniest thing is it is the Akpu and Garri that God used the same Bishop Ajayi Crowther to give them that gives them the energy they use to Wail and deny it all day long

If you remove Cassava from their diet

Let us not even think about what Could happen

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 03, 2021
Guestlander:

Grandpa probably told the truth. Uncle Chukwudiebele is the problem. He didn't go to school when his mates were going. His only education was the one he got from his master as a second hand clothes seller. His is loud and a heavy drinker and he is an "expert " in the history of Nigeria.

Lol!!!

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Kennyking1234: 5:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
dazzlingd:

He is a blessing to fools.

But the few intelligent ones know he was a curse.

I'm sure his ancestors would reject him in the afterlife and he won't rest well.

He was taken captive and sold as a slave, embraced his slave masters and converted to their religion, then went ahead to translate the book used to enslave him to his local language to enslave more of his people.

That's why I love ancient war movies like 300, Troy etc...men that rather die for their heritage than live as slaves, those are true heroes not a mockery of slavery
nice ideology
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

The funniest thing is that he will first Finnish eating 2 Wraps of Akpu made from the same Cassava so he has enough energy to start another round of Wailing

It is Igbo not Igbo
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by bullabong(m): 6:05pm On Dec 03, 2021
1Sharon:

Was it the Christian God?
It was a belief in a supreme deity (God) reached through carved images just like the Catholic Church. Africans discovered God before the missionaries no wonder why they took away our images.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Putindbutt: 7:05pm On Dec 03, 2021
Igboid:
And nope.
Bishop Ajayi crowther was never an Igbo speaker.
I'm yet to see any journal to suggest that Crowther could speak Igbo.

It was Simon Jonas who interpreted everything in Igbo to Obi Ossai of Aboh.
Ajayi crowther was a mere figure head in CMS gospel to Igboland.
You could easily have replaced him with someone from Kuvikiland and there wouldn't be a difference, because he never spoke the native Igbo language, and like the white missionaries, depended on Igbo slaves of Sierra Leone origin for interpretation of Igbo and all ground works involved in bringing gospel to Igbo speaking people.

It's madness and foolishness to suggest that Crowther produced written Igbo language.
He was a mere supervisor appointed by the church.

Taylor and Simon both of who were Igbo slaves of Sierra Leone origin brought the gospel to Igboland. Not one non Igbo speaking Crowther.
LOL. "Crowther was a mere figure head in CMS gospel to igboland"?

If you give an ibo man a pen, he would change a straight line to a curve. Why are you so much darkhearted to the extent that you belabour yourself way too to erase any external imprints on the ibo race.
I can imagine how hurtful it is that your "imaginary enemy" can't have an influence on ibo history.
Quite unfortunately for you, history predates you and there's absolutely nothing you can do to erase the past. Time and events was kind and gracious to Crowther to have played a major role in the history of ibo nation.

Calling the first African Bishop a mere figure head shows you're diametrically opposed to reasoning.
At the time Crowther was ordained a Bishop, there was no African missionary that wasn't under the leadership of Crowther. There was no expedition or mission assignment under CMS that were done without his approval, although he himself was answerable to the highest body of authority.

Taylor was far more learned and a junior missionary than Simons who was an house boy to Crowther. Simon served Crowther as an house boy in Sierra Leone. In my earlier comment, I stated that Crowther worked with missionaries of ibo descent on his expedition to Eastern region. To achieve a measure of success, Crowther worked closely with natives of different places of destination as he laid the foundation of Christianity from Onitsha, Bonny, Abeokuta to Lokoja.

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Igboid: 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2021
Putindbutt:

If you give an ibo man a pen, he would change a straight line to a curve. Why are you so much darkhearted to the extent that you belabour yourself way too to erase any external imprints on the ibo race.
I can imagine how hurtful it is that your "imaginary enemy" can't have an influence on ibo history.
Quite unfortunately for you, history predates you and there's absolutely nothing you can do to erase the past. Time and events was kind and gracious to Crowther to have played a major role in the history of ibo nation.

Calling the first African Bishop a mere figure head shows you're diametrically opposed to reasoning.
At the time Crowther was ordained a Bishop, there was no African missionary that wasn't under the leadership of Crowther. There was no expedition or mission assignment under CMS that were done without his approval, although he himself was answerable to the highest body of authority.

Taylor was far more learned and a junior missionary than Simons who was an house boy to Crowther. Simon served Crowther as an house boy in Sierra Leone. In my earlier comment, I stated that Crowther worked with missionaries of ibo descent on his expedition to Eastern region. To achieve a measure of success, Crowther worked closely with natives of different places of destination as he laid the foundation of Christianity from Onitsha, Bonny, Abeokuta to Lokoja.

Crowther was an administrative figure head as far as gospel in Igboland was concerned.
He couldn't interact with Igbo natives, he spoke no Igbo, the small Igbo he tried to learn in Sierra Leone from the slaves there ended up being Useless when he got to Igboland as he found out he couldn't use it to interact with real Igbos on ground.

So yeah, he was a mere figure head. An administrative dinosaur, as far as gospel of CMS is concerned in Igboland.

Simon and Taylor did the real work and reported to him as their oga.

It's madness and foolishness to suggest that Crowther wrote Igbo Bible or brought the gospel to Igboland.

Quit the stupidity.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Putindbutt: 7:15pm On Dec 03, 2021
1Sharon:

An agent of colonization
I don't think it would be fair to refer to a victim of slavery as an agent of colonization. Africa herself was a victim while there was too little we could do.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Ikinternational: 7:22pm On Dec 03, 2021
IgbosDestroynSA:
Na Yoruba man even give this people Christianity! Damn.
Yoruba go far o.
Why we con de drag with this people.
Well we go soon colonize them. Na aid we go take colonize igboland

You might want to start successfully colonizing your precious Lagos first.

The uppercut landed. Abi na lie?

lol
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Putindbutt: 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2021
Igboid:

Crowther was an [b][/b]administrative figure head as far as gospel in Igboland was concerned.
He couldn't interact with Igbo natives, he spoke no Igbo, the small Igbo he tried to learn in Sierra Leone from the slaves there ended up being Useless when he got to Igboland as he found out he couldn't use it to interact with real Igbos on ground.

So yeah, he was a mere figure head. An administrative dinosaur, as far as gospel of CMS is concerned in Igboland.

Simon and Taylor did the real work and [b]reported to him as their oga.

It's madness and foolishness to suggest that Crowther wrote Igbo Bible or brought the gospel to Igboland.

Quite the stupidity.

Very obvious you are talking from a place of pain, throwing tantrums like a typical loser.

That book you called "useless" was the beginning of formal Education in iboland. Other works that came after improved on it with a more general dialect among the locals. Knowledge is never static, books are revised.

Crowther, with his works, laid every blocks of foundation from Education to Christianity, not only in iboland but the old Eastern region.

Like I said, history predates you, centuries before you were formed in your mother's womb, history had been made that a certain Bishop Ajayi Crowther gave you a reason to be proud of your tribe.

"Administrative figurehead"...Lol. There's always something up the sleeves of ibos to flip their self esteem just for the charade.

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Igboid: 7:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
Putindbutt:

Very obvious you are talking from a place of pain, throwing tantrums like a typical loser.

That book you called "useless" was the beginning of formal Education in iboland. Other works that came after improved on it with a more general dialect among the locals. Knowledge is never static, books are revised.

Crowther, with his works, laid every blocks of foundation from Education to Christianity, not only in iboland but the old Eastern region.

Like I said, history predates you, centuries before you were formed in your mother's womb, history had been made that a certain Bishop Ajayi Crowther gave you a reason to be proud of your tribe.

"Administrative figurehead"...Lol. There's always something up the sleeves of ibos to flip their self esteem just for the charade.

Someone who couldn't speak laid down foundation of Igbo language.
No be juju be that?

You speak from a position of inferiority complex.
Crowther life work was translation and production of his native Yoruba language.
Why can't you be happy and contented with that?

Why do you have the insatiable need to claim that a man who couldn't speak Igbo language laid down the foundation of Modern Igbo language?
Are you okay at all?

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Putindbutt: 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2021
Igboid:

Someone who couldn't speak laid down foundation of Igbo language.
No be juju be that?

You speak from a position of inferiority complex.
Crowther life work was translation and production of his native Yoruba language.
Why can't you be happy and contented with that?

Why do you have the insatiable need to claim that a man who couldn't speak Igbo language laid down the foundation of Modern Igbo language?
Are you okay at all?
I saw you and your ilks pasting several documents from earlier centuries. Have you ever thought about how the Europeans who couldn't understand a word of your language were able to write your history despite your ancestors unable to read and write.
Don't be slow.
Language is hardly a barrier to a linguist . One of such renowned linguist of his time was Crowther.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by wealthtrak: 8:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
aribisala0:

Yams did not come to Africa from South America.

Not true
Dioscorea cayenensis
Dioscorea cayenensis

Are NATIVE TO AFRICA

Were you a chef on a slave Ship?

How do you know they were fed yam?

Was it pounded yam or fried Yam?

Please do not say things that you just made up as if you saw a video

I know for a fact they were fed Indomie with Suya
@aribisala0

Ogbeni, I'm NOT making anything
up here! I have a vast knowledge
of world history and I've been a collector of a broad range of major historical books since the early 1980s.

"Chef" on a slave Schooner
ke? Lol grin

Okay, one of the older history books in my collection clearly states some
of the foods (such as boiled yams) that captives were occasionally fed with on the slave Ships.

Another book I read under the
Asanti Empire made reference to the NEW YAM festival that took
place in Asantiland in the 1800s which was recorded by some European visitors.

New Yam festivals are also
celebrated from time immemorial
in Yorubaland and by other ethnicities! This clearly shows
the importance of yams in the
cultural ascendancy of some
West African groups.

NOTE:
I was already correcting the unintended error in my post (which an NL poster had kindly pointed out to me) when your NL mention also appeared. I didn't proofread that yam origin part of my post properly before posting because I was in a rush. Lessons learned.

You are absolutely correct that
yams are native to Africa.

Yam species are also NATIVE to
Asia, South America and the
Caribbean.

Gracias.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:40pm On Dec 03, 2021
Putindbutt:

Add Bida and Idah
There are many Christians in Niger State at Least 40%

Bishop Ajayi Crowther did his Job there and God blessed it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by adekolaelect(m): 8:57pm On Dec 03, 2021
GBOKASINCHA:
mumu colonize where? When igbos don colonize 80percent of lagos I wonder how the future of the next generation of lagosians will be.....most will be igbos or half igbos.... ofe mmanu wey no get sense
shut up .the history is telling you that Yorubas are your mentor and slave master to you Igbos .you dominated Lagos means tolerance Yorubas give to thire old days slaves.

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Christistruth00: 9:11pm On Dec 03, 2021
Kennyking1234:
nice ideology

Meanwhile Kanu and IPOB have enslaved him with a Fake Biafran El Dorado Ideology which allows beheading of Virgins for Charms

In the land of Ipobnistan even the two eyed man is blind
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Donmobi(m): 10:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
Putindbutt:

I saw you and your ilks pasting several documents from earlier centuries. Have you ever thought about how the Europeans who couldn't understand a word of your language were able to write your history despite your ancestors unable to read and write.
Don't be slow.
Language is hardly a barrier to a linguist . One of such renowned linguist of his time was Crowther.
Can u even hear your self ?
Ridiculous!
Urgh!
So Crowther brought Christianity to the igbos?
When a more preferential people were readily available to achieve that feat?

P.s: Catholicism isn't generally termed Christianity.
Slow....
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Donmobi(m): 11:18pm On Dec 03, 2021
aribisala0:
Nna grin
I understand the need to make yourself feel good.
It is what it is

Umunna politics
Nothing more

You never evolved beyond the village level

There was NOT A SINGLE recorded town in your history. In fact your history is largely forgettable and that s why you are now claiming to be Jews
You know next to nothing about igbos or their history
It's easy for you to just say things.
Ignorance once more disgraces mankind
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 11:24pm On Dec 03, 2021
Donmobi:

You know next to nothing about igbos or their history
It's easy for you to just say things.
Ignorance once more disgraces mankind
You are correct .
What can one know about nothing ............

One thing that it a fact though is the "Igbos" as a people is a creation of Nigeria
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by heyhey2016: 11:41pm On Dec 03, 2021
another saviour holy holy holy nnamdi kanu is another saviour....
Christistruth00:

Meanwhile Kanu and IPOB have enslaved him with a Fake Biafran El Dorado Ideology which allows beheading of Virgins for Charms

In the land of Ipobnistan even the two eyed man is blind
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Lionnation: 11:59pm On Dec 03, 2021
IgbosDestroynSA:
Na Yoruba man even give this people Christianity! Damn.
Yoruba go far o.
Why we con de drag with this people.
Well we go soon colonize them. Na aid we go take colonize igboland
and same Yoruba could not give himself Christianity

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Okpueze1(m): 12:24am On Dec 04, 2021
Ajayi Crowder couldn't have written in such a modern English. Someone just concocted this and put Ajayi Crowder to it.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Donmobi(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2021
Lionnation:
and same Yoruba could not give himself Christianity

Funny folks
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Igboid: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2021
christistruth01:

The Igbo Books Bishop Ajayi Crowther wrote are evidence

He wrote nothing. He couldn't speak Igbo.
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by nku5: 2:53pm On Dec 04, 2021
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Cosbyrich: 5:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
Igboid:

He wrote nothing. He couldn't speak Igbo.

He had an Igbo slave..

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Train Attack: Chinelo Caused Her Own Death / EFCC Detains Akeredolu’s Finance Commissioner, Wale Akinterinwa / Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.