Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,322 members, 7,829,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. (2398 Views)

Nigeria Elections: A South African Nairalander Perspective / Zabarmari Massacre: A Student, Babangida Among Farmers Killed By Boko Haram / The Word "Massacre" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by greatiyk4u(m): 6:22pm On Dec 04, 2021
So any accident that claim 5 lives na massacre?

Suddenly, you created on your own imagination 5 as a benchmark for many.

Smart by half

1 Like

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 10:15pm On Dec 04, 2021
greatiyk4u:
So any accident that claim 5 lives na massacre?

Suddenly, you created on your own imagination 5 as a benchmark for many.

Smart by half
Abeg no vex o...

But does your post even make sense to you?

Equating killing to accident?

I'm beginning to get scared of the future of this country with the type of posts I see on this thread.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 11:26am On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

If i had concluded there was no massacre i guess you will be happy cos it suits your narrative.

People with a closed mind will never read and comprehend but they read to respond with what they have in their closed mind.

No doubt that at least 5 people died from the lekki tollgate shooting and if your governor can confirm two and a mother confirmed 3 i believe that is more than enough.

If you can't see this point then believe whatever you want.

Even the one the claimed mother had iron bar sticking out if his eye is also a killing by military assault rifle?
Adding this to your tally shows the story is not reliable neither is your count.

1 Like

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 11:38am On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

Now it is confirmed that you guys don't ever read to comprehend. Please calm down and read the definition of massacre and killing in that context.

As long as the death happened whether as a result of direct shooting or as a result of the ripple effect,it is still attributed to the action that led to it.

This where you miss the road.
The investigation of incident at Lekki toll gate was trying to establish is soldiers shot live bullets as claimed by protester or blanks as the army claimed.

There was a subsisting govt order of curfew and anyone remaining outside was a threat to public peace. If no laws prevents soldiers from being deployed to restore order you can't hold them responsible for injuries sustained while fleeing such as vehicle accident, fall from height, being trampled by crowd or shooting by armed gangs who displayed guns during the protest.

When law and order breaks down, any adult should know your safest place should be in your home not on the streets
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

What evidence again?

The governor confirmed two. Adesola who is the mother of a diseased confirmed 3, the judicial panel confirmed 11.

What crazy evidence do people want again? at this point even if people come out to claim they lost someone as Adesola did you lot will still tell them to prove it.

Only a narrow minded fellow will discredit the fcat that at least 5 people died and that is enough to call it a massacre

Wisdom, Tola, Uche are they names of human or pets? I know every human at least in Nigeria have a surname, family or orphanage where they were raised. Only dogs and cats have no surname.

What type of injury did this wisdom and Tola have? Which type of gun fired the bullets if they had such injury? How do we know they didn't get killed when they were storming police station at Orile or Ajangbadi when they went to kill policemen, steal police uniforms and guns?

Who killed the 35 policemen who lost their lives in Lagos? The panel report did not list a single policeman who was injured or killed and deserved compensation. Is that not part of their terms of reference? What of the looting and arson of homes that has altered some lives permanently? Is that panel report really reliable? I think not, it was a dishonest attempt to assert what it cant prove

1 Like

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by HappyPagan: 12:31pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

No doubt that at least 5 people died from the lekki tollgate shooting and if your governor can confirm two and a mother confirmed 3 i believe that is more than enough.
Who are these five people? Can you name them?

The governor confirmed one death and if was as a result of a 'blow to the head's, not a bullet wound.

Who is this mom of three? Do you know her, or the children she lost? Did they live in isolation, far away from humans such that no one else speaks on their behalf?

2 Likes

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:49pm On Dec 05, 2021
Ovamboland:

Even the one the claimed mother had iron bar sticking out if his eye is also a killing by military assault rifle?
Adding this to your tally shows the story is not reliable neither is your count.

Do you know that as long as we want to believe what we believe, there is a great tendency to be narrow minded and that I have seen with lots of comments on this thread.

I guess it will come as a shock to many that it takes the killing of just 5 people for a massacre to be established which runs contrary to the mindset of many who see massacre as the killing of hundreds of people.

Please believe whatever you want of it will make you sleep well at night.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:51pm On Dec 05, 2021
HappyPagan:

Who are these five people? Can you name them?

The governor confirmed one death and if was as a result of a 'blow to the head's, not a bullet wound.

Who is this mom of three? Do you know her, or the children she lost? Did they live in isolation, far away from humans such that no one else speaks on their behalf?

Your narrow mindedness is your problem.

If you are too closed minded to read what I wrote you will kno wthe governor confirmed 2 not one and the other story corroborates the fact that over 5 people died
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by HappyPagan: 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

Thanks for knowing my problem. Please answer my questions.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lalasticlala let's have people's input nah abi una dey fear lol?

Happy Sunday.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:56pm On Dec 05, 2021
HappyPagan:

Thanks for knowing my problem. Please answer my questions.

What stupid and lame questions?

Did you even read the write up before making your lame comments.

Go back and read again, comprehend then ask reasonable questions in line with what I wrote and I will respond accordingly.

You are so closed minded and I don't waste my time with closed minded people. They are toxic to themselves because they will never be objective and open minded to see the truth even if they are faced with undisputed evidences..
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by HappyPagan: 2:00pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

What stupid and lame questions?

May the family of the deceased reward and bless you for the amazing work you have done on this thread. There is no doubt now in my mind that a massacre happened. God bless you.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 2:21pm On Dec 05, 2021
HappyPagan:

May the family of the deceased reward and bless you for the amazing work you have done on this thread. There is no doubt now in my mind that a massacre happened. God bless you.

If this is sarcasm or real I care less.

I have made it clear, I defined what a massacre is and I went further to explain the word "many" and killing.

I further made it clear with links to back up the stories that proved beyond doubt that not less than 5 died directly or indirectly as a result of the shooting by security operatives..

What else is there to prove? That because people were not killed in their hundreds so it is not a massacre but just minor deaths.. Come of it.

Have a great day.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 3:59pm On Dec 05, 2021
Great2017:

Your antagonizing stance and one sidedness do not portray you as someone that is looking for facts.

For example, you tend to believe the Nigerian Army that has contradicted herself over and over. First, they claimed they were never at the scene. Later, they agreed they were there but never used live bullets. Now, they claimed they shot into the air.

The position of someone looking for facts cannot be this lopsided.

You think you're not one sided when you belive people who claim there was a massacre and shared drama footages, movie pictures and claimed the locations were at Lekki toll gate. They shared traffic accident picture with mutilated bodies and claimed they were shot by soldiers. Tens of protesters claimed a body wrapped in bloody Nigerian flag is their cousin, reality is it was a drama.
Did they all prepare the drama pictures before the military arrived the scene? Or they got it after they were cleared from the toll gate. How do you trust such eye witnesses?

You have not expressed any concern about all these inconsistencies

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 7:25pm On Dec 05, 2021
helinues:

Anyone with contrary opinion from you guys must be paid agents.

Laughing in Mandarin

That's what should tell you the person you responded to lacks the depth to discuss the subject matter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Great2017: 7:26pm On Dec 05, 2021
Ovamboland:

You think you're not one sided when you belive people who claim there was a massacre and shared drama footages, movie pictures and claimed the locations were at Lekki toll gate. They shared traffic accident picture with mutilated bodies and claimed they were shot by soldiers. Tens of protesters claimed a body wrapped in bloody Nigerian flag is their cousin, reality is it was a drama.
Did they all prepare the drama pictures before the military arrived the scene? Or they got it after they were cleared from the toll gate. How do you trust such eye witnesses?

You have not expressed any concern about all these inconsistencies

Can you show me where I believed or accepted those claims?

Anyway, I cannot help if you are hurt by those observation of mine.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 7:45pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

I go call you olodo if you keep ranting about this. You defined a massacre to be the killing of MANY

Many means at least 5. it could be 1000000000 but as little as 5 is considered as man.

Please dont let your parents money be a waste and stop arguing this matter.

And your proof of 5 is one woman said I saw 3 dead? Sanwo said 2 died. What killed them is of no importance. Whether they fell while jumping a fence is immaterial too you.

You made your magical number 5 and poof, there's a massacre

You're a good indication we truly have a serious problem on our hands, a ticking time bomb
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2021
yorubarere:

Fallacy of authority. That line is lame. I am sure you are aware that your san Mr Ebun already admitted there is an error. He called it minor error cheesy

Do we have a pathologist report on Wisdom , Tola and what killed them? Are they make, female or pets?

Who identified them as Wisdom, Tola?

We should even ignore those names listed as presumed dead. It's not worth talking about beyond saying it's a shame on the reporters
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 8:22pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

Do you know that as long as we want to believe what we believe, there is a great tendency to be narrow minded and that I have seen with lots of comments on this thread.

I guess it will come as a shock to many that it takes the killing of just 5 people for a massacre to be established which runs contrary to the mindset of many who see massacre as the killing of hundreds of people.

Please believe whatever you want of it will make you sleep well at night.

I'm not even contesting your number 5 magical number. It's your threshold of evidence to arrive at 5 deaths im still questioning. Who drove iron bar through the eyes of the victim that mother claimed? Soldiers?
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 8:25pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:

If you are too closed minded to read what I wrote you will kno wthe governor confirmed 2 not one and the other story corroborates the fact that over 5 people died

What killed those 2 the governor confirmed dead? You're avoiding to address this deliberately. The governor said it was blunt force trauma, do military bullets cause blunt force? What did the autopsy report on these 2 say? Do care what it says?
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 8:33pm On Dec 05, 2021
Ovamboland:

What killed those 2 the governor confirmed dead? You're avoiding to address this deliberately. The governor said it was blunt force trauma, do military bullets cause blunt force? What did the autopsy report on these 2 say? Do care what it says?

I asked you not to force me to call you olodo but now I can see you are worse than that.

Your problem is your closed mindedness else you would have comprehended that what ever death occurred directly or indirectly as a result of shooting of balnk or live ammunition is attributed to the primary action.

So whether people died as a result of stampede, blunt trauma or even those who died at the carnal while fleeing from the shooting were all attributed to the shooting

I have chosen not to respond to any satanic stance made by anyone as regards the fact that at least 5 people died.

One thing I only feel like doing is laying a curse on them that if indeed nit less than 5 people died, that the fate of these people will visit their families so that they will realize that the dead one one child to a parent is worse than a massacre to them.

I rest my case
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by yorubarere: 8:37pm On Dec 05, 2021
Ovamboland:

Do we have a pathologist report on Wisdom , Tola and what killed them? Are they make, female or pets?

Who identified them as Wisdom, Tola?

We should even ignore those names listed as presumed dead. It's not worth talking about beyond saying it's a shame on the reporters
The panel did a very bad job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by asanausana91: 9:23pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toks2008:
Many people always ascribe the word Massacre to mean the killing of hundreds of people or more but the fact is that you only need to kill at least 5 people for a massacre to occur and that is the essence of this thread...To study the word MASSACRE in order to ascertain if indeed it took place at the Lekki Tollgate.

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, Massacre means the killing of many people in a short period of time:

Lets take a closer look at the word ''Many'' as well as ''kill'' in the definitions above.

The Word Many usually refers to a large number of something countable but as a general rule, two is a couple, three is a few, four is several. However, It is generally accepted that “many,” while having no precise number attached to it, is the greatest in quantity in this list. You might have many choices, and that suggests far more than choosing between solely A, B, C or perhaps D. So the word many is generally believed to mean any number greater than four.

The word kill can be defined as an action that directly causes death or that indirectly leads to death.

So before we can conclude if there was indeed a massacre at the Lekki tollgate we need to ask these questions..

Did at least 5 people die at Lekki tollgate directly or indirectly as a result of the shootings by security operatives of either life Bullets or blanks ?

1. According to Premium times https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/422446-endsars-sanwo-olu-confirms-two-deaths-from-lekki-shooting.html.. The governor of Lagos state Sanwo Olu Confirmed two deaths at the Lekki tollgate

2. Many people have argued that if indeed there was a massacre, the families of the dead would have come out to speak and while some people agreed with this position, some strongly believe that fear could be the reason why many have not come out to speak but this is not the case with Adesola who painfully recounted how she went in search of her child at the lekki tollgate and saw a dead body of a small boy lying dead and holding the Nigerian flag and with a bullet wound on the side of his body and also saw someone in the gutter who had an iron bar in his eye. The person was already dead," she recalled.

According to her story "When I saw my son, I shouted and held him... The blood was too much, there was a bullet wound on his chest. His clothes were torn and the bullet had come out of his back," she said, weeping as she recounted the painful moment. Despite his injuries, she discovered her son was still alive. I saw other people carrying their relatives, so I tried to carry him because he was still breathing at that moment. I called for help and people came to help me put him in a vehicle, He was looking at us while we were carrying him. He was just screaming 'ah, ah,' in pain. They tried desperately to revive him in the car, but he didn't make it, she told CNN. "He died in my arms," Adesola said. "I was shouting and I couldn't keep calm." https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/19/africa/lekki-toll-gate-shooting-one-year-intl-cmd/index.html

3. There were other witnesses like Olamilekan Sanusi who came to the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry and recounted his harrowing experience. Appearing before Rabiat Fawehinmi-Morakinyo, C.O. Ngoka and others, Sanusi had said in his testimony, “About eleven (11) people died that they took away.

“I could hear a woman saying ‘you must not die, my son’. I was lying beside her wearing blue, she was holding her son’s hand saying you must not die. I was hearing a sound like the wind. I tried to open my eyes but I could not. I later found myself in a hospital with a drip.” http://saharareporters.com/2021/11/28/endsars-how-testimony-survivor-lekki-tollgate-massacre-rubbishes-claim-lagos-lawyer

4. The Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry concluded that the Nigerian Army shot and killed at least 11 unarmed, peaceful protesters and wounded dozens of others during a demonstration last year, in an incident that can be labelled a massacre, a government panel has found.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/16/world/africa/nigeria-protest-report-massacare.html

The question is... From the 11 Names released, even if according to the FG, there were one or two errors in names, shall we say the entire 11 names were made up?

CONLUSION.
Considering the 2 confirmed deaths by Governor Sanwo Olu, the eye witness account of Adeola, as well as that of Olamilekan Sanusi and the report of the Lagos judicial Panel, we can confirmed that at least 5 people died as a result of the Lekki tollgate shooting of unarmed protesters and this is more than enough to call it a Massacre.

My Candid opinion. Which does not represent the view of nairaland or any other body or individual.
massacre occurred in your house not in my country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Akanbiedu(m): 9:47pm On Dec 05, 2021
rayvelez:
Thr was indeed a massacred at Lekki toll gate. The army know, Sanwo-olu know, Tinubu and lastly Buhari know.

America knows
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 7:18pm On Dec 06, 2021
Toks2008:

I asked you not to force me to call you olodo but now I can see you are worse than that.

Your problem is your closed mindedness else you would have comprehended that what ever death occurred directly or indirectly as a result of shooting of balnk or live ammunition is attributed to the primary action.

So whether people died as a result of stampede, blunt trauma or even those who died at the carnal while fleeing from the shooting were all attributed to the shooting

I have chosen not to respond to any satanic stance made by anyone as regards the fact that at least 5 people died.

One thing I only feel like doing is laying a curse on them that if indeed nit less than 5 people died, that the fate of these people will visit their families so that they will realize that the dead one one child to a parent is worse than a massacre to them.

I rest my case

You're obviously ret.arded and this is a pointless thread. So even if it was siren that made some protesters jump in the river and drown or they fell while fleeing
on Okada on sighting soldiers then we should hold the Army responsible.

Kindergarten kids have risen above your level of thinking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 8:54pm On Dec 06, 2021
Ovamboland:

You're obviously ret.arded and this is a pointless thread. So even if it was siren that made some protesters jump in the river and drown or they fell while fleeing
on Okada on sighting soldiers then we should hold the Army responsible.

I will make the same prayer for you.

It truly at least 5 people died as a result of the shooting either of live or blank bullets... The same fate will befall you and your entire household.

If you can not say AMEN to this then your case is settled.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 9:01pm On Dec 06, 2021
Toks2008:

I will make the same prayer for you.

It truly at least 5 people died as a result of the shooting either of live or blank bullets... The same fate will befall you and your entire household.

If you can not say AMEN to this then your case is settled.

Did I not say it that you're not developed to the intellect level of a kindergarten?
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Oceemo(m): 12:14am On Dec 07, 2021
Toks2008:

I rest my case
I have been reading comments and I see you are the one who is the the foolish one here and you have resort to only insults which peeps like you knows how to do to drive home your lies I have seen so many diplomatic questions they asked & u dodging it with foul words and insult, my conclusion is that u should be the one to hide your head in between your smelling thighs instead of insulting learned peeps here

And for my learned comrades here it's enough u can't force a pig out of mud so let the myopic op be please.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:36am On Dec 07, 2021
Oceemo:
I have been reading comments and I see you are the one who is the the foolish one here and you have resort to only insults which peeps like you knows how to do to drive home your lies I have seen so many diplomatic questions they asked & u dodging it with foul words and insult, my conclusion is that u should be the one to hide your head in between your smelling thighs instead of insulting learned peeps here

And for my learned comrades here it's enough u can't force a pig out of mud so let the myopic op be please.

Guy se i am an intellectually sound mind and check everyone i lashed out at and go back to read their initial post that elicited my response. I have zero tolerance for people who just attack a writer and not the subject and that you have also done so i don't see you as well as your ''learned'' colleagues as reasonable.

When you lot learn how to discuss issues like ''learned'' people then i will be more than willing to have a logical discussion.

If you are as learned as you claim to be, you would have taken time out to read the post i created, comprehend and then give your submission but just like your ''learned'' colleagues, you are closed minded and a closed minded person is the worst type of person to have an objective discussion with.

II think you should go back and study the meaning of the word ''LEARNED'' cos the only thing you have showcased with your lame post is Foolishness of epic proportion.

If your so-called learned colleagues are indeed learned, they wont be asking me any ''diplomatic'' questions cos the answer is in the write up which they have chosen not to read and comprehend.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Toks2008(m): 1:44am On Dec 07, 2021
Ovamboland:

You're obviously ret.arded and this is a pointless thread. So even if it was siren that made some protesters jump in the river and drown or they fell while fleeing on Okada on sighting soldiers then we should hold the Army responsible.

Now look at this comment from one of the assumed ''learned colleagues' is the embolden even worth responding to? Who asks such a lame question?

If this ''Learned' comrade took time to read my post he would have come across the definition of the word KILL which can be defined as an action that directly causes death or that indirectly leads to death of a living thing.

And there wont be any need for him to write that very lame post equating shooting to sighting of soldiers. This goes to show how closed minded people can be so much that they will write just anything no matter how lame it sounds to justify their position.
Re: A deeper look at the word ''Massacre''. A Nairalander's Perspective. by Ovamboland(m): 2:53pm On Dec 07, 2021
Toks2008:

Now look at this comment from one of the assumed ''learned colleagues' is the embolden even worth responding to? Who asks such a lame question?

If this ''Learned' comrade took time to read my post he would have come across the definition of the word KILL which can be defined as an action that directly causes death or that indirectly leads to death of a living thing.

And there wont be any need for him to write that very lame post equating shooting to sighting of soldiers. This goes to show how closed minded people can be so much that they will write just anything no matter how lame it sounds to justify their position.

This is not you?

Why is it that lies and deceit comes easily to this generation?

Toks2008:

I rest my case

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Malami Caught Attending APC Convention / Modified: Unconfirmed / Gov. Wike To Commission Rumuokwurusi Fly Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.