Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,084 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

#DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? (18042 Views)

Good or bad parenting: Young Boy Steals Meat And Blames Devil For It / Is My Mom To Blame For The Irresponsibility Of A 26 Year Old lady? / Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence Among Our Youths: Parents Or Teachers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Masterito(m): 2:26pm On Dec 05, 2021
No matter the kind of training you receive, who go join cult go join cult.
ModelLook:

But if the Parents had trained their children well from the start, don't you think there won't be anything like CULTISM being practised by them in the first place.

After all, charity begins at home.

A well brought up child shouldn't even think of anything related to Cultism at that age.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by brain54(m): 2:27pm On Dec 05, 2021
Magnoliaa:

And God consequently pushed them out. Pronounced judgment on them and made them faced the consequences of their disobedience. Hey, you mentioned God's warning and discipline (telling them the right thing to do), and it's only balanced to highlight what God did after. When the 'adult kids' did what they'll still do laslas sha.

Well, investigation is still going on, so, okay.

Yes. I agree. Without an investigation into this particular case, everyone would just be speculating...Oh, keep in mind as well, there are people sharing personal accounts of similar trends and experiences of their wards or friends' wards with the school. And even people that attended it themselves.

Still, yeah. Nobody knows. Maybe they are lying, maybe it's for clout, maybe subjective experiences are valid and can be more convincing, or maybe it's just human emotions and quirks at place, for bias -- nobody will know. Okay, too.

But justice for the boy would involve those kids coming out - do you agree? I don't think justice can be served without the accused being present. Would you shield your own 14,15, or 16 y/o if they were the one involved?

Sure, there are 'due processes' to (doing) things. And ideally, there should be no hindrance to that. Which was I said that from all that can be gleaned or seen, the parents in question do not seem to be aiding that process. We're talking about justice here even, because we believe a wrong has been done.

And there might have been series of actions leading to the boy's death, which the investigation should shed light on. All I'm just saying is, the investigating should have all parties present. We'll only know what is released out sha, but thus far, from everything in public, nothing's been said about the accused boys.

If I was the one, and if I can, I would make my child available. To the public? Maybe not. But I would not be trying to cover anything up or shield any child or circumvent anything - in a case of accusation of murder. If I had known my child prior to have criminality tendences inspite of my good parenting, I would be offering them to the law. And this is not about coldness or me giving them out as a slaughter lamb. I would do that out of parental duty, and I would be there with them all through the juvenile court hearings, or rehabs or whatever. I would be setting up myself for a risk too if I kept that child to me.

And if on the other hand, my child is none of those, nothing still spoil. I still won't hide them to prove their innocence.
Well I like the objectivity in your comments. I also admire that you tried to put your self in the situation and answer my questions as sincerely as you could. But fact remains you would never truelly know what your actions will be unless faced with the exact situation. Alot said... I might not respond to all. But not that I am not against those kids facing the consequences of their actions-according to what the law states. But no one- the school... students involved or parents should be vitimised especially before thorough investigation is concluded.
It's never enough to just come here and pick anybody to blame. Let's look at the facts... separate fiction and decide the next step to be taken. This is the only way Justice can truly be served to the kid.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by generalwo(m): 2:30pm On Dec 05, 2021
olatuns2017:

If you like pay 20biillion

If your child is brat from home
School can do little because school doesn't want to loose customers...

It's parent/ Guidance 70% social correction
School 30% social moulding
.... Wrong sir....you should first study the reasons why parents take their kids to boarding schools before u blame them.... Alot of parents don't have the luxury of time to properly take care of their kids and that's why they trust them into the full time care of the school..... Because they believe that while they try and work to put food on the table, the school ought to be responsible for the well-being of their kids..... If the parents of Sylvester were not responsible or didn't bring up their kids well, how come he refused to join the cult group even with all the beatings? The other kids may have joined because they were not able to refuse for long........ Or u want to tell me that before the kids joined the school at jss1, they were already cultists from home?? Common.... The substance they gave Sylvester to drink, how did they get it into the school?? If the school had lived up to its responsibilities, we won't be having this conversation....... If the school cannot stop vices such as cultism at the secondary level, why then are parents paying so much when their kids can't he protected??
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Sterope(f): 2:35pm On Dec 05, 2021
In the category of bad parenting, I am also blaming the parent of that boy. How do you keep sending your child to a school with mad people? They can't say they haven't heard of other rumours from their other two kids in senior classes. This is not abroad where school is determined by location.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by pocohantas(f): 2:38pm On Dec 05, 2021
Sterope:
In the category of bad parenting, I am also blaming the parent of that boy. How do you keep sending your child to a school with mad people? They can't say they haven't heard of other rumours from their other two kids in senior classes. This is not abroad where school is determined by location.

My dear, I am very shocked at this news. You see that Dowen college? I used to use that school as a landmark to direct people to my place. “Once you get to Dowen College, call me”. If you see that school, the pupils and teachers, you would find it very hard to believe this can happen inside there. When they are going to the day section, the kind of security ehn, I used to wonder if the kids are witnesses for one FBI case. I wonder why they didn’t extend the security to inside the school.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by yemi1504: 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2021
Spherical77:
You are right. No school teaches and encourage students to join cultism, bully and assault themselves, beat up teachers et al. Some of these children are spoilt from home. Which could be either bad parenting or total disobedience from them. These bad children will go out and influence the upright ones. Especially in boarding school. You know the school staffs can't be with the students 24/7. They could be doing all these cultists of a thing at mid night. They'd always find a way to hid their dirty shit. The school is definitely culpable for not being responsible and trying to sweep everything under the carpet. Heard this isn't the first iccident of students being bullied. Infact, this particular iccident the school attempted to hid it away from the public as usual by shutting up other students who witnessed the iccident as they tried to explain to them. The school is just after making money. The school management knows the parents of those killers. But because their parents are rich and well connected they couldn't speak out

Boarding schools cannot stop existing. However, a reform should be made. How can they mixed junior and senior students together in the same hostel? Parents should have access to their wards on phone at least 3 times weekly. Senior school should be demarcated away from junior school. They shouldn't access same cafeteria, rest rooms, lecture halls, sport facilities amongst many others. There should be a counselling department in the school that'd be counselling the students. Through that, they could easily deduce what individuals might be passing through (psychologist come into play) There should be mandatory monthly visitation by parents and all nooks and cranny of the school should have CCTV camera

This would also go along way in curbing all sorts of crime in boarding school

I also heard the same that the school had been sweeping issues like this under the carpet SMH thanks to a witness who was there. I think the Police should widen the investigation to the remaining students to see who can come out and say they experienced the same too. If they do come out, that will be the nail in the coffin of the school, owners and their associates and a veritable lesson for other schools like this where humongous fees are paid to nip issues like this in the bud by expelling the students involved regardless of the financial status and past charitable deeds of the parents. I am told issues like this happen in these schools and they handle it with kid gloves due to the parents' status. Well, Dowen did and they potentially could be closed forever. And yes to all your suggestions to making boarding schools a safe environment for the students. However, for me, I am done entertaining the thought of enrolling my future children in boarding school. It is day for me and I will be very close to my children to notice things like this! First warning on coming to the school, no changes, second incident, withdrawing my child to another school where they are safe and demanding for a refund of the remaining fees I paid.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Abeyjide: 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2021
ModelLook:
Looking at this Dowen College Saga.

How these evil young secondary school boys run a CULT group in the school and killed an innocent JSS1 boy.

How the parents quickly hide them from persecution.

How the school are covering the story up and hiding the identity of the boys and parents.

I am beginning to wonder, who is to blame for this whole situation.

Is it THE PARENTS OR THE SCHOOL?

Some people say Bad Parenting is the genesis of it all because if the parents are training their children well, small secondary school kids of ages 11 to 16 shouldn't know anything that has to do with CULTISM at that age.

Some say Bad School training is the genesis. That the school is meant to train the students well and eradicate anything unlawfull in it. After all, the parents are paying huge sums of money for that.

Some say none are to blame?

After all, Train up a Child in the way he should go.

To you, who is to blame in this case. Is it Bad Parenting or Bad School Training

What are your thoughts?

How so much I love argumentative essay. Gone are the days
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by brain54(m): 2:45pm On Dec 05, 2021
generalwo:
.... Wrong sir....you should first study the reasons why parents take their kids to boarding schools before u blame them.... Alot of parents don't have the luxury of time to properly take care of their kids and that's why they trust them into the full time care of the school..... Because they believe that while they try and work to put food on the table, the school ought to be responsible for the well-being of their kids..... If the parents of Sylvester were not responsible or didn't bring up their kids well, how come he refused to join the cult group even with all the beatings? The other kids may have joined because they were not able to refuse for long........ Or u want to tell me that before the kids joined the school at jss1, they were already cultists from home?? Common.... The substance they gave Sylvester to drink, how did they get it into the school?? If the school had lived up to its responsibilities, we won't be having this conversation....... If the school cannot stop vices such as cultism at the secondary level, why then are parents paying so much when their kids can't he protected??
From your argument it is safe to deduce that every cultist comes from a bad home...or lacks proper parental training. Do you have any idea about the level of cultism in Nigeria? Cultism in the streets... our higher institutions. Politics...every where? Do you know how rampant.
It's called a secret cult and not a social group were things are done in the open. Meaning you have to pay very close attention to notice their activities. Especially if you aren't used to their methods or have no clue as to their methods of operation.
Lastly not every parent dumps their wayward children or try to shift responsibility to boarding school. Boarding schools over the years are renowned for alot of positives
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Prenonjebose: 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2021
Both have equal responsibilities to the child. Giving your child all the niceties in life doesn't equate to good upbringing. The parents owe it a duty to themselves and the society to ensure no social vices are noticeable in their wards, through quality bonding time with their children.
The schools also play the role of parents to children the moment they are within their confines. Private schools usually bask in the euphoria of quality education and monitoring. This seems not to be the case any longer for many of them. It's more of patronage and profit
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by irunoko(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2021
Iyaebe:
89% of the blame goes to the school while 11% goes to the parents for not acting fast.
when I saw buruji kashamus son among the attackers I was not surprised.

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.we all know where his deliquent behaviour came from
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2021
irunoko:

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.we all know where his deliquent behaviour came from
Exactly, just simply stepping into his father's shoes

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Magnoliaa(f): 2:59pm On Dec 05, 2021
JaskanFactor:
the culture of the world including Nigeria is this, lets all shit where we eat, so that eventually the children too come out covered in shit.

Everybody who went to school knows what wend down is nothing new, and far more serious is the fact that they can see all those bad boys in school, have grown up to be be doing far worse things than they did in school to society at large, with thier parents taking a hit along the way.

And my estimate is that this will continue to get worse, until people decide its to dangerous to be around other people, and everybody flees into to jungle to escape people and seek shelter amongst wild animals.

Cause too many people acting like enemy inside the common wealth of society, and nobody in their right mind will remain inside society that's harbouring too many people acting like enemy, both infant, young and old alike, cause a lot more people are saying this days that now the younger they are the more dangerous.

At this point, Society is overrated , cause too many people taking advantage, so that by now the stranger has no alibi , its no longer safe to help the stranger on a dark road at night, or even the helpless crying baby that could be a trap.

We are nearly there, cause even as we can all see civil servants genociding Nigerians in the north, people are still posting about davido rolls Roys car.
What a slippery slope. LOL.

irunoko:

I saw a Kashamu. And my mind immediately went to that man. But do you know for a fact that that is his son? Does he not have one daughter or what? How do you know they are the same Kashamus? I can't even find any striking resemblance or link.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by olu77(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2021
Mrviktor:
All things things have been happening in boarding schools.. And most of we 90's kids know this..

I think going back 6 to 7 years ago..
Boarding houses were worse than this..

I remember how they used to beat one boy in empty classes anytime dey want to make a point..

We remember how school vs school fights used to be back in the days..

Saying bowen is the problem is very far from it..

They kids that were raised back then in the early 2000's are the parents of now..

The monster of old have given birth to new monsters..

It will only get worse

Bullying, raping and all manners of evil have been happening in schools for as long as schools have existed. If this boy did not die and if it wasn't a popular private school, nobody will be talking about it.

We did not go to schools to learn only positive things, it's 50/50 we learn negative things from peers who themselves have been abused and conditioned to act in certain way. Everything negative I struggled with I learnt in school

All through my primary schooling in the 80s through my secondary schooling in the early 90s I can't remember a time when I was not bullied. I was never able to focus on my education andI only began to develop some resistance in SS3. I remember verbally bullying a bully that everybody was scared of until he started crying in SS3. Since that time I realised that the weak will find it difficult to survive in certain school environment. Mind you, my school was a private school starting from Jss3 but the students even slap the principals bald head from time to time and abused the proprietress.

We are all products of what our society permits and its continuous, those who have been abused will pass on the abuse to others unless there is a system put in place to help unlearn and relearn the right values. The parents are not doing enough, the schools are not doing enough, the churches are not doing enough (many prostitutes and homosexuals are products of abuse in religious environments) the government is not doing enough. It's almost a hopeless situation. Many parents did not even know that their little ones were raped in school and threatened not to talk about it, these kids will grow up struggling with life.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by chichimezie(f): 3:14pm On Dec 05, 2021
Charity begins at home….but doesn’t end there

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by femi4: 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2021
ModelLook:

But if the Parents had trained their children well from the start, don't you think there won't be anything like CULTISM being practised by them in the first place.

After all, charity begins at home.

A well brought up child shouldn't even think of anything related to Cultism at that age.
You ve not heard of peer pressure or influence

Training them isn't enough, you need to monitor them so that they don't fall into temptations

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by NoToPile: 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2021
NairaMaster1:

Bad parenting. If you fear your parents you won't misbehave. There are many who are not in school but are well cultured.

Simple.

I know a 24 year old male who says he always hears his mother's voice at the back of his head anytime he intends misbehaving.

As old as some married men are they won't drink alcohol at their parents home they respect them that much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Sterope(f): 3:27pm On Dec 05, 2021
They want them bullied by other rich kids not kidnapped. They took the definition of profit making to a whole new low.

pocohantas:

My dear, I am very shocked at this news. You see that Dowen college? I used to use that school as a landmark to direct people to my place. “Once you get to Dowen College, call me”. If you see that school, the pupils and teachers, you would find it very hard to believe this can happen inside there. When they are going to the day section, the kind of security ehn, I used to wonder if the kids are witnesses for one FBI case. I wonder why they didn’t extend the security to inside the school.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by pocohantas(f): 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2021
Sterope:
They want them bullied by other rich kids not kidnapped. They took the definition of profit making to a whole new low.

Lmao. You sef!!!
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Sterope(f): 3:39pm On Dec 05, 2021
There is another developing story about Olashore. There is no way there haven't been rumours. People will still take their kids there next year
pocohantas:

Lmao. You sef!!!

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by kingbybirth: 3:52pm On Dec 05, 2021
MMotimo:
“School training “ should not be a thing. This is where a lot of people get it wrong, especially with Naija boarding schools. Training a child is first and foremost a parental responsibility. It is not the duty of the school, neighbours, society, other family members, etc.

The same people that are not ready to train their kids are the same ones that want to birth 4,5,6. . . . . If you are not ready to train your kids in the ways of right and wrong, do society a favour and don’t have them.

Training kids takes time and effort, not just money. If pursuing money means you can’t raise your kids right, then don’t have them! If you’re not pursuing money but you just don’t have the inclination/ability to train your children, don’t have them just so that you can unleash them on society. Only God knows how Nairaland’s child rape convict, Oyinbogoju/Powerhouse5050 was raised.

I just saw a thread, someone was asking whether to do food business or yahoo. That tells you that there is something fundamentally wrong with his upbringing. This is someone who seriously thinks criminal activity is a valid money making business, to the extent of seeking public opinion about choosing between a legitimate and illegitimate venture.
Yes parents of the boy's killers share a portion of the blame but majority of it should go to the school for outright negligence and failure to protect wards kept in their care. Trust me most of these kids left their home as innocent children. Schools, especially boarding school can mess with a child and turn them into monsters. Even the most moraled child can be corrupted by peer pressure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 05, 2021
treatise:

Boarding school is never a better option especially those below 15 years of age. My son was beaten black and blue for resisting initiation and he didn't inform any of us. Whilst on break (first term of jss1) we saw old and fresh bruises on his back, we questioned with aggression and he opened up : "they wanted me to join" Gucci gang" but I refused. To my astonishment, the person in charge of his dormitory witnessed one of the sessions of the beating but walked past. We reported the case to the school authorities but all involved were in denial. From that moment my son started schooling from home. One of the students that was involved in the beating was later expelled for other crimes/offences.

Nigerian parents don't know there is an option for home-schooling.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Tzar(m): 3:55pm On Dec 05, 2021
The truth is that there was a complex mix of faults. Each fault worked together to contribute to the tragedy. Parents MUST learn from this and listen to their kids when they complain. They must make an effort to address their kids complaints.
The blame goes to:
1. The bullies for being vessels of evil. Those kids need to face the full extent of the law. They will likely grow up to be worse than this as adults.
2. The parents of the bullies for raising menaces to society. I even heard they are taking action to protect their evil kids from the consequences of their action.
3. The school for negligence in their duty on training their students in learning and character. There was poor management in the care of the kids in their custody.
4. The parents of the poor child who died for ignoring the early signs and dismissing the child's subtle but desperate call for help. He emaciated and withdew to himself significantly. He also begged the mother not to allow him to return to the school. What else did they need to take action for their child?!
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Electroweb(m): 4:11pm On Dec 05, 2021
The school is to blame for not having effective structures in place to check the excesses of bad children.

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by InvertedHammer: 4:15pm On Dec 05, 2021
/
The blame is on the parents.

They ship their kids off to boarding school at the formative(11-16) part of their years. If the boy is in a day school, the problem would have been noticed before it got worse. At home, parents have some level of control over their children including access control to the house. If a parent cannot train a child, they shouldn't expect more from a few teachers to train their mistakes.

In a normal society, kids stay with the parents until adulthood when they go off to universities. But in Nigeria, a kid is shipped off to boarding schools at tender age, then on graduation, they move back home with their parents and become liabilities.

/

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by MartinsD12(m): 4:35pm On Dec 05, 2021
ModelLook:
Looking at this Dowen College Saga.

How these evil young secondary school boys run a CULT group in the school and killed an innocent JSS1 boy.

How the parents quickly hide them from persecution.

How the school are covering the story up and hiding the identity of the boys and parents.

I am beginning to wonder, who is to blame for this whole situation.

Is it THE PARENTS OR THE SCHOOL?

Some people say Bad Parenting is the genesis of it all because if the parents are training their children well, small secondary school kids of ages 11 to 16 shouldn't know anything that has to do with CULTISM at that age.

Some say Bad School training is the genesis. That the school is meant to train the students well and eradicate anything unlawfull in it. After all, the parents are paying huge sums of money for that.

Some say none are to blame?

After all, Train up a Child in the way he should go.

To you, who is to blame in this case. Is it Bad Parenting or Bad School Training

What are your thoughts?
Bad parenting is to be blamed , even Sylvester parents are bad parent's am saying it here ,how do they put a child in a boarding school without checking up on him regularly infact when the boy was beaten to point of death the parents contacted the boys cousin to go pick him up from the school meaning the parents are not living in Lagos , this is bad parenting you left your child in Lagos for who to care for and you are chasing money , to me personally I see parents that send their children to boarding school as bad parent's such parents are irresponsible and are shying away from taking care of their children shifting the responsibility of parenting to schools is wrong , schools can't train a child , care for a child , know when a child is been bullied that's what parent's don't know, they think money is everything, had it been that Sylvester is a Day student nothing like this would happen, listen I Will never allow my children both male or female to attend boarding school, I know what am saying, these boarding school are evil themselves , whatever they know to learn let them get it from me and my wife , I will personally teach my kids to the extent of at least school certificate level ,then when they come of university level I must have instir in them the basics of life, bad parenting is the reason the boy Sylvester couldn't fully open up to his parents about those bullying him , on one school vacation time he was said to have told his mom he wants to change school but the nonchalant mum could not closely monitor and talk to this child heart to heart , drag him closer to know why he made such a statement,. Kids needs care and love before they can open up on their challenges in school. Sylvester couldn't get enough of attention from his parents.

2 Likes

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by JBRichard(m): 4:49pm On Dec 05, 2021
Peebaby93:
I blame both the school and the parent.
Firstly the parent..how will your child school call you to come pick up your child that he broke his leg,on getting to the school you were met with how sylvester was looking and you kept quiet? Until the child died you now came out to speak up.all through the term,did you not go to check up on the child welfare? As a prayerful parent God must have shown you that something is wrong but you ignored cos of chasing money for big fees.

Secondly the school....how can a school tell me that they didn't know that students practices cultism inside it premises.how can the school say they don't know this kids? where the hostel keepers, cleaners,teachers etc not hearing the shout and cry of that child when they tortured him?....the school needs proper investigation

And as for those erring kids whom their parents are shielding..the table will turn and they will be the next victims since they couldn't correct their kids.

We will give account one day
As simple as that. I strongly believe the fault came from the parents. They saw the symptoms of their child's behavior (I have completed analysed the woman's speech and testimonials and she has admitted her fault) and did nothing. One thing about Nigerians is that they don't take correction until it happens to them.
As I said before boarding house is not advisable looking at the situation of the country and the world. The parents should do better next time. Nonetheless, those devilish culprits won't surface themselves, therefore, the only way is to settle this issue amicably between parents as due fit. And appropriate discipline should be met on the gang.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Miner13: 4:52pm On Dec 05, 2021
Hathor5:

Some people turn bad even though they grew up in good homes.

Some parents have several children and one of them decides to be useless even tough the others are good. How do you explain that?

if out of 4 or 5 children only one is coming out with a strange bad character, simply ask the mother where the fraud is coming from
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by Rree: 5:08pm On Dec 05, 2021
Bad parenting
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by generalwo(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2021
brain54:

From your argument it is safe to deduce that every cultist comes from a bad home...or lacks proper parental training. Do you have any idea about the level of cultism in Nigeria? Cultism in the streets... our higher institutions. Politics...every where? Do you know how rampant.
It's called a secret cult and not a social group were things are done in the open. Meaning you have to pay very close attention to notice their activities. Especially if you aren't used to their methods or have no clue as to their methods of operation.
Lastly not every parent dumps their wayward children or try to shift responsibility to boarding school. Boarding schools over the years are renowned for alot of positives
..... Sir the focus here is on the school and parents not the society.... We know that in every society, there are bad people..... Now look at this from this angle, do you know if these kids have weapons in their hostels A school that have a fee of 1m per student, why is there no cctv to monitor the activities of the children on ground The substance they gave Sylvester to drink, how did it make its way past the school security? How do these cultists meet or hold their meetings within the school premises without the school's knowledge This is boarding school we are talking about, not regular day school..... A boarding school should have all the activities of kids monitored and that's why it's more expensive than the regular day school...... Carrying out a hit on students in a bid to initiate them is a big failure on behalf of the school..... For the school to claim that the victim died a result of the injury sustained while playing football means that they failed in their duties..... That kids under their watch became cultists who have murdered one of the students they are supposed to be protecting....... If my child can't be safe in an environment where I pay 3m yearly, then what is the use of boarding schools Boarding schools these days have become a breeding ground for all sorts of vices... I remember counseling a female student some years back who told me in confidence that she's a lesbian and that she was lured into the act by 2 of her seniors...... Now tell me, how is that the fault of the parents who are at home thinking that their daughter is getting educated not knowing she is being lured into the vicious world of lesbianism

1 Like

Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by FWESHVEIN(m): 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
I personally believe it's both. As the saying goes charity begins at home, a child isn't supposed to be ignored to care for his feelings or welfare, they ought to be monitored 24-7. I watched a clip of Sylvester's dad narrative, imagine him saying he doesn't know how a 50k provision is spent by Sylvester, this shows how the child is being neglected to care for its need. Boarding or no boarding, he shouldn't be separated to that extent, we're talking 11. Unfortunately, he fell into the wrong hands in which the school authorities are unaware due to their self absorbed nature and their belly! Hence both are guilty.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by ello29(m): 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
All those parents kids should be brought to book you are not trained to kill someone else. Even if you are trained to fight back by your parents be sure that the effect of your actions will be your responsibility.
Re: #DowenCollege: Bad Parenting Vs Bad School Training. Which Is To Blame? by abimic(m): 5:17pm On Dec 05, 2021
For me, it's bad parenting, some parents use to give these teachers stern warning on what not to do to their wards, in turn making the kids become wayward. School has a share of the blame but not as much as the culprits' parents. School has many kids under their care, some are spoilt brat, that even the teachers are helpless in handling them because of who their parents are. The Sylvester was raised well by his parents, so I'm not going to blame his parents at all, but for the school not to take immediate thorough measure in extremely following up with the boy's health while in their care, shows they place priority on some kids than the others. My friend use to tell me, I've trained my kids well, she's not going to allow any child of bad parenting dare come near.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Mother's Friend Advised My Mother To Disown Me / When He Becomes Emotionally Unavailable / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.