Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,706 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? (21556 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Mechanics Decry Low Patronage As Motorists Abandon Vehicles / Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Teaser4(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2021
taylormed2:

America
Finland
Israel
Denmark
Norway
Italy
France
Hong Kong
The list goes on. Price of fuel in Nigeria is amongst the cheapest in the world rn.
may thunder fire your hairy balls

2 Likes

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by smd837(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2021
Nobody tells mad man to leave sunlight, untill when his head is steaming he will finds where is comfortable to stay.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by colestephan86: 7:41am On Dec 09, 2021
Gaddafi1:
Obviously fuel subsidy will be removed in 2022 and PMS is expected to be sold at N350 per litter. Nairalanders, how do you plan to cope with this increase considering the fact that income is not going up.
On my side, I had to take a painful decision of trading off my beloved 6 cylinder engine Sienna and got a corolla which consumes less fuel. I can't come and go and kii myself. undecided
in my opinion, it the diesel that should be subsidized and not petrol, all heavy goods are moved with diesel engines, companies run on diesel generators , today many companies bare laying off staffs cos of diesel consumption.
The petrol isn't doing much in the economy, it's only used by cars and small gen sets.
Anyways , I drive a diesel car and I have accepted my fate with ,340 nairle per liter of diesel

2 Likes

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 09, 2021
HopeAlive21:
Hope you also remember that we have oil on our land, these neighbours you are talking about don't have.

For a country which this resources at her disposal and fail to do the right thing, it is hypocrisy to support such move.

They should prioritise fixing power supply first, we won't complain.

Benin, Ghana, Cote d'ivoire has steady power supply as far as I know, so buying fuel at a higher price won't be an headache because they don't need to fuel their generators and the likes.... Only cars and big engines for companies.

And to cap it up, their electricity tariff is reasonably cheap based on how steady the power supply is.

I'm just passing by....

Ghana pays higher tarrifs for power than Nigeria. Also,many of these countries don't try to give everyone power like we do. They concentrate on the main urban areas which get light 24/7 while rirual areas don't get much.

Map below shows access to power by country. Only Ghana has more access to power than we do.

Niger and Chad and Cameroon all produce crude oil and all have prices higher than Nigeria at the pump.

Lots of cheap fuel from Nigeria gets smuggled to these countries which increases our subsidy costs .

1 Like

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by MVLOX(m): 7:43am On Dec 09, 2021
I don get my bicycle ready because e no go funny....
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by freshkpomo(m): 7:43am On Dec 09, 2021
backbencher:

You are right...

Venezuela N10
Iran : n21
Syria :N88
Angola: n116
Algeria N135
Kuwait: N142
Nigeria: N165 (SIXTH cheapest)

Nigerian neighbors prices of fuel
Benin :N366
Chad : N365
Cameroon: N448
Niger: N370
Ghana: N473.

sauce

Did you compare our minimum wages with those countries?

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2021
HopeAlive21:

Hope you also remember that we have oil on our land, these neighbours you are talking about don't have.

For a country which this resources at her disposal and fail to do the right thing, it is hypocrisy to support such move.

They should prioritise fixing power supply first, we won't complain.

Benin, Ghana, Cote d'ivoire has steady power supply as far as I know, so buying fuel at a higher price won't be an headache because they don't need to fuel their generators and the likes.... Only cars and big engines for companies.

And to cap it up, their electricity tariff is reasonably cheap based on how steady the power supply is.

I'm just passing by....

Niger,Chad ,Cameroon all have oil

Benin has discovered oil recently

I'm just passing by too
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2021
freshkpomo:

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 09, 2021
taylormed2:

America
Finland
Israel
Denmark
Norway
Italy
France
Hong Kong
The list goes on. Price of fuel in Nigeria is amongst the cheapest in the world rn.
Op, I don't know why you compared all this countries with NIGERIA, these countries you mention have 24hours light, good medical facilities, good road, if your Buhari dare remove it.. let watch

3 Likes

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Crystalom3(m): 7:48am On Dec 09, 2021
Look at Nigerians adapting as usual. How do we get a better country if all we do is adapt to suffering.

No one talked about protesting the policy.

We have all resigned. Nigerians are lazy not hardworking. We would rather flow with the tides than fight it.

That's laziness.

4 Likes

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by freshkpomo(m): 7:51am On Dec 09, 2021
backbencher:

Ghana pays higher tarrifs for power than Nigeria. Also,many of these countries don't try to give everyone power like we do. They concentrate on the main urban areas which get light 24/7 while rirual areas don't get much.

Map below shows access to power by country. Only Ghana has more access to power than we do.

Niger and Chad and Cameroon all produce crude oil and all have prices higher than Nigeria at the pump.

Lots of cheap fuel from Nigeria gets smuggled to these countries which increases our subsidy costs .

Unemployment rate.
Currency value.
Minimum wage.
Average number of people living below poverty line.

Did you put these into consideration?

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 09, 2021
taylormed2:

America
Finland
Israel
Denmark
Norway
Italy
France
Hong Kong

I don't need to say anything again because those guys above have already finished you.

Next time if I hear this rubbish from your mouth I'll find you wherever you are and I go use sword pursue you.....

3 Likes

Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by ogawisdom(m): 7:54am On Dec 09, 2021
Gaddafi1:
Obviously fuel subsidy will be removed in 2022 and PMS is expected to be sold at N350 per litter. Nairalanders, how do you plan to cope with this increase considering the fact that income is not going up.
On my side, I had to take a painful decision of trading off my beloved 6 cylinder engine Sienna and got a corolla which consumes less fuel. I can't come and go and kii myself. undecided

I already have a Toyota Corolla.

The problem is that it will increase the price of all goods and services
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 09, 2021
freshkpomo:

Benin : 28000 naira
Niger : 21,047 naira
Chad :42,505 naira
Cameroon: 25,695 naira
Nigeria 30000 NAIRA.

Venezuela: 500 naira (I don't believe this, but fuel there is N10, so...)
Iran: 87,915 naira
Angola: 10, 876 naira
Algeria: 80,908 naira
Kuwait: 81,000 naira.

SAUCE: GOOGLE SEARCH
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by 77up(m): 8:03am On Dec 09, 2021
oluwaseaun:
Well it's simple. Get yourself a Toyota Corolla or Toyota Camry (pencil light) and for your home, get a solar inverter system.
Get yourself this ,get yourself that , easier said....may God ease our affairs in this country.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by ogawisdom(m): 8:03am On Dec 09, 2021
taylormed2:

America
Finland
Israel
Denmark
Norway
Italy
France
Hong Kong

How much is minimum wage in Nigeria compared to the other countries?
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by franchasng: 8:05am On Dec 09, 2021
liverpudian9:
I am getting a horse and two donkeys as a means of transportation ,if d government is harsh we will go back to d Old ways
We go thief your horse and donkey, kill them and eat wink grin
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Reference(m): 8:06am On Dec 09, 2021
Gaddafi1:

Except an individual is not living in a metropolis, with the hike I cannot see an average automobile consuming less than N100,000 worth of gasoline every month. Now, what is the minimum wage again.

For those living in heavily congested cities such as Lagos and Portharcourt where traffic accounts for up to 20 percent of fuel consumption I see even worse driving habits as a result of the proposed hike and of course this will just become a vicious cycle of suffering.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 09, 2021
freshkpomo:

Unemployment rate.
Currency value.
Minimum wage.
Average number of people living below poverty line.

Did you put these into consideration?

Moving the posts are we?

1.Minimum wages
GHANA: 213000
Benin : 28000
Ivory Coast: 43,000 naira approx
Nigeria 30000 naira

2.vALUE OF CURRENCY

cfa (IVORY COAST, BENIN)
1 DOLLAR =578 cfa (cfa is heavily subsided by France, mind).

Cedi (Ghana)
1 dollar = 6.14 cedis.

Nigeria
1 dollar=408 naira.

3.Number of people living below the poverty line

Benin:38.5%
Ghana: 11.2%( if poverty is defined as living below 1.90 dollars a day) 55.0% (IF POVERTY is defined as living below 5.50 dollars a day)
Ivory Coast: 39.5 %
Nigeria: 43%
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by freeman67: 8:12am On Dec 09, 2021
taylormed2:

Why show your stupidity, I simply answered a question and you progress into insults. You think Nigeria as a whole can move forward when
majority have this your mentality??

You actually did answer any question there .. you only re-echoed what that person said and added that Nigeria is about the cheapest price of petrol. The person you quoted (In trying to explain why subsidy may not be removed) asked any one to name any country where petrol can be imported from with the landing cost of or less than N400 and you ended up listing countries that sells higher when converted
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 09, 2021
freeman67:

You actually did answer any question there .. you only re-echoed what that person said and added that Nigeria is about the cheapest price of petrol. The person you quoted (In trying to explain why subsidy may not be removed) asked any one to name any country where petrol can be imported from with the landing cost of or less than N400 and you ended up listing countries that sells higher when converted

Landing cost is less than N400 here because we send our crude to shoestring refineries in Belgium and Holland to be refined into cheap (but very dirty) PMS at a much lower cost, so that government can keep its subsidy costs as low as possible.

If we refined our fuel in standard refineries, the cost price would be much much higher.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by liverpudian9(m): 8:16am On Dec 09, 2021
franchasng:
We go thief your horse and donkey, kill them and eat wink grin

Ah oley
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Firstandonly(m): 8:16am On Dec 09, 2021
backbencher:

Maybe, knowing what this government has done in the past.

But this time, the government is running out of money big time. Rumors are afoot that there may be salary delays next month, and so forth.

Removing the subsidy completely may be the only way to free money up.
no money and they are paying billion into npower
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by nedekid: 8:26am On Dec 09, 2021
Gaddafi1:

We don't have subsidy in 2022 budget so its illegal for government to continue subsidizing the product. Better to prepare for the worse situation. Who ever thought that the price of fuel will increase to N165/liter.
I think Untill our refinaries start working, we will pay subsidy.
Shebi fuel is 165 now. Remove subsidy and make it 350. In another 6months when inflation hits and naira looses value, this same government will say they are paying subsidy and have to increase fuel price again by removing it. Afterall did fgn not say they were removing subsidy when fuel price was increased to 165?
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by freeman67: 8:26am On Dec 09, 2021
backbencher:

All these were already discussed in 2011 and we were on our as a country to getting used to the removal and move on before you guy rejected and staged a national protest saying you don't trust the process. Now after increasing pump price twice you are coming to say the same thing. How do we trust this process as a country now? We rejected when it has not even been tested, now we have tested twice and it didn't work. What will make us believe that it will work this time...?

Go and look for the then CBN governors (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) and the then Minister of finance ( Ngozi Okonjo Iweala's) discussions in several fora on this issue. You will discover that you did not say anything new.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Dindondin(m): 8:28am On Dec 09, 2021
735i:
No government will remove subsidy less than one year to elections.
APC knows they will lose if they try it because the hardship that will come with it will make people ask them to leave even before 2023.
Forget subsidy removal next year.
Jonathan did it in 2012 and the masses were against him from that time. Let Buhari remove it too so that APC can be doomed from that time.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by henriologistics(m): 8:30am On Dec 09, 2021
Do we earn wages and salaries as the the listed countries?
taylormed2:

America
Finland
Israel
Denmark
Norway
Italy
France
Hong Kong
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Gaddafi1: 8:31am On Dec 09, 2021
toyeoye:

I will swap my V8 engine to a 1.4 and also sell my enemies kidney to get solar inverters cry

grin grin grin
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 09, 2021
freeman67:

All these were already discussed in 2011 and we were on our as a country to getting used to the removal and move on before you guy rejected and staged a national protest saying you don't trust the process. Now after increasing pump price twice you are coming to say the same thing. How do we trust this process as a country now? We rejected when it has not even been tested, now we have tested twice and it didn't work. What will make us believe that it will work this time...?

Go and look for the then CBN governors (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) and the then Minister of finance ( Ngozi Okonjo Iweala's) discussions in several fora on this issue. You will discover that you did not say anything new.

I know all that, infact it was SLS and NOI that made me see the light then, and stop supporting fuel subsidy back in 2011...and support its removal...which I have done since then

The problem is MOST Nigerians refused to support subsidy removal then, and now, and even back when it was proposed in 1993, and many times in subsequent years, before 2011.(Buhari just took advantage of the anger in 2012 to cunningly find his way back to power)
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Gaddafi1: 8:34am On Dec 09, 2021
TinubuGoQuench:

SHAMELESS PAID AGENT
That's too harsh ma, thanks anyway.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 09, 2021
Firstandonly:
no money and they are paying billion into npower

Because programmes like npower are loved by Nigerians, and by their government (easy way of saying that 'we did something"wink.

The previous government did something similar like SURE-P and YOUWIN, and even Obasanjo did something similar (eg funds for poor Nigerians to buy stocks in companies in 2003)

Even though such programmes are useless long term.
Re: How Are Preparing For Subsidy Removal? by Cognitivereason: 8:38am On Dec 09, 2021
Fuel sells for .0.89 USD=N368 in Benin republic.. Their minimum wage is 40,000 CFA = N28,000
Fuel sells for 1.1 USD= N376 in Ghana...their minimum wage is 12.53 cedis per day ...that 375.9 cedis per month= 61 USD = N25,254

Nigeria on the other hand buys fuel for N165 and has a minimum wage of N30,000
Queenslander:
What a dipstick!

What's Nigeria's minimum wage compared to those other countries you listed? Mad man, like someone said up there, these fools are paid agents looking to sample opinions online,. In anticipation for next year.. lunatics!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Converting Right Hand Drive Vehicles To Left: Any Issues? / Tips To Prevent Snakes From Entering Your Car / Craziest Thing You Have Ever Done With While Driving On Highway?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.