Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" (5044 Views)

Husband Said He Is No Longer Gonna Make Out With His Wife Cos The Vagina Is Lax / She Doesn't Wear Her Wedding Ring Cos Her Husband Removed His Own / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2011
I have a friend going through this now. She was dating a guy who promised to marry her. Along the line she got pregnant. The parent though surprised went ahead with marriage plans only to discover that the lady's mom had cancer and was dying of it. The man's family swore that the woman won't enter their family again as they are scared that the lady or her unborn kids may suffer from the disease. The guy said he is confused and doesn't want to disobey his parents

The lady feels rejected. My dear nairalanders pls advise,
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2011
its called IGNORANCE!!!!!
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2011
Buhahahaha cheesy cheesy (this is a joke right? undecided)
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 13, 2011
Well, some cancers are hereditary, so I understand.

I wouldnt marry a dude with family history of hair baldness either.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2011
Its not a joke. This is very real. My friend is crying everyday. Wondering where true love flew to. I wonder too
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 5:17pm On Jun 13, 2011
Ileke-idi from my research less than 10% of the particular type of cancer is hereditary,
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by debosky(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2011
Unfair without a doubt, but its a tough decision to make.

If the man is genuinely afraid of losing his wife to the same illness, his decision can be understood - better to refuse to take the risk than to abandon her if she gets the disease in future.

No one would knowingly expose his/her unborn children to any risks so I can appreciate the reluctance to proceed. However, if the cancer was more lifestyle related (e.g lung cancer from smoking)  and not hereditary (like breast cancer) then such a decision shouldn't be taken.

Some people would not proceed, while some would. That's why we all can make choices.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2011
They already hv a child in the picture
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 13, 2011
queend:

Its not a joke. This is very real. My friend is crying everyday. Wondering where true love flew to. I wonder too

Ouch! embarassed embarassed
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by no1madman(m): 5:55pm On Jun 13, 2011
queend:

who d hell is ur fuckin friend?
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Outstrip(f): 8:16pm On Jun 13, 2011
I feel bad for her especially as she is already pregnant. The boy is a dunce sha. When a man is ready for marriage it is not his mother and father that will pick the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Lesson from this story is that you either close your legs or use birth control until you are married
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 8:59pm On Jun 13, 2011
Majority of her friends have advised her to abort the baby.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 13, 2011
queend:

Ileke-idi from my research less than 10% of the particular type of cancer is hereditary,

Well, is hers amongst the "less than 100 particular type of cancer"?
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by debosky(m): 9:36pm On Jun 13, 2011
Outstrip:

I feel bad for her especially as she is already pregnant. The boy is a dunce sha. When a man is ready for marriage it is not his mother and father that will pick the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Lesson from this story is that you either close your legs or use birth control until you are married

Agree 100% - the child introduces more problems into the mix.

However, if the man's family do not want him to marry this lady, that is not something that should be swept under the carpet. For those calling him names, when you have an entire family against you, love soon appears to be a burden. Ask those whose in-laws are firmly against their marriages - it's not a walk in the park.

This is not some simply some minor issue, the family deem it as a life and death issue. I suspect they had their reservations before hand and now took advantage of this new issue to cut off ties.

Ileke-IdI:

Well, is hers amongst the "less than 100 particular type of cancer"?

You wouldn't know that in Nigeria - there isn't sufficient screening to identify people who are predisposed to certain types of cancer.

Sadly, the family is taking the 'better safe than sorry' approach. It's not fair on the girl (as it is no fault of hers) but they do have fears which can't be waved away.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Jenifa1: 10:33pm On Jun 13, 2011
queend:

Majority of her friends have advised her to abort the baby.

that is what I would also advice her to do.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by xxcarolxx(f): 11:47pm On Jun 13, 2011
This guy is heartless, My heart goes out to the girl, She herself may never have cancer, and i also believe every one has cancer it just takes something to trigger it off, I have seen people who never smoked or drank in their life end up with lung cancer, But lets hope the same faith will not fall on the so called bf or one of his family, Selfish git,
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 4:03am On Jun 14, 2011
One reason why I don't support pregnancy before marriage.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Odunnu: 4:25am On Jun 14, 2011
So so sad!
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by dayokanu(m): 4:52am On Jun 14, 2011
I dont blame the guy or hi parents one bit.

When genuine health issues are involved

Dont make your future and that of your kids terrible

Let her abort the baby and move on
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by OAM4J: 5:16am On Jun 14, 2011
Quite unfortunate!

I dont support her aborting the pregnancy. Let her have her child and forget about the marriage. She will find someone who will love her for her in the future.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nekai(f): 7:59am On Jun 14, 2011
Let the girl walk away. If she marries him she will live a life of agony. Everytime she gets a cold or flu, the doltish guy and his ignorant family will be right there to say she is dying like her mother. This anxiety will eat her up worse than cancer, and can even cause her immune system to break down.

And if she actually gets a life threatening illness, her husband would abandon her in her moment of need.

OAM4J:

Quite unfortunate!

I dont support her aborting the pregnancy. Let her have her child and forget about the marriage. She will find someone who will love her for her in the future.

cool
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by ifyalways(f): 8:44am On Jun 14, 2011
It hurts when u finaly realize that just "love" is not "enough".lol.If it's possible,she shld abort, get herself screened for cancer and move on else,she can move on with the pregnancy intact,i hope she is strong enough to be a single mother.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 8:51am On Jun 14, 2011
Move on as a single mother and get cursed by d whole world for wanting to trap a man
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 14, 2011
@Op
Tell your friend to contact ''OKO OLOYUN'' for treatment.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by evamathis: 10:41am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Well, some cancers are heredity, so I understand.

thats so shallow
so if your man meets 86.45% of your requirement you wont marry him because of hair baldness?
wo whatever floats your boat girl
nothing do you!

jennykadry:

One reason why I don't support pregnancy before marriage.
but do you support sex before marriage? undecided
because if you do then pregnancy before marriage MIGHT happen

@ OP
its a very dicey situation
should she abort the baby and maybe loose her life in the process(depending on how old the pregnancy is?)
should she risk being judged  and ostracized as a single mom for maybe the rest of her life  by keeping the baby?
If she has the heart to give her baby up for adoption ,maybe she should at least give the baby a chance to life.
her fiance is a big "malu"

women always learn when push comes to shove 90% of the time we are the ones that will always make GREAT sacrifices so ALWAYS use your heads and not your heart SHIKENA!
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Well, some cancers are heredity, so I understand.

And who wants to marry ugly Baboon for a wife? undecided
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by queend: 10:57am On Jun 14, 2011
I will tell her to consider the adoption part. That sounds more humane.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by otokx(m): 10:58am On Jun 14, 2011
you see why its good to refrain from sex till after marriage?
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by tellwisdom: 11:00am On Jun 14, 2011
Anyone who can write airline ticket

grin grin grin, but bro, u sounded like she was referring to you
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by babyme1(f): 11:03am On Jun 14, 2011
Sad! cry
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by pereze: 11:04am On Jun 14, 2011
Why didn't the girl tell the young man about the health condition of her mum.
I am not siding the man's family based on the disease but for not disclosing such an info, I think the girl will be hiding some more stuffs from the guy in question.
Re: I won't marry you cos your mother has "Cancer" by Ekpoma1: 11:07am On Jun 14, 2011
I thot this only happened in nollyhood.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Four Children Not Mine / Please Give Me Another Chance To Live Again / Ladies, Can You Marry A Guy Who Can't Cook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.