Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. (9039 Views)

Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song / John Nnanyerem Aguiyi Is Dead: General Aguiyi Ironsi's Son Dies / Danjuma: After We Arrested Aguiyi Ironsi, I Lost Control (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by christistruth01: 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2021
Deadlytruth:

I dey tell you. A people who could tie an elderly man to a tree and torture him with naked flame just for the "offence" of holding a contrary political view to theirs. A people who cut a man's dick and sat him on bare ground making him declare for Biafra under duress. They don't believe in using sound arguement to win people to their side. It is insults and name calling always. See how they were first to use abusive language on this thread. Very uncivilized and savage people. Disgusting!

It is IPOB types that are Savages

Look how they were dragging their own Traditional Rulers in the Sand before killing them. People who were not their fathers mates

There are very respectful and responsible Igbos the problem is the Ipob types that try to Kill and Cannibalise the Sensible ones the Moment they open their mouths to advise them to be Wise

The moment that the Sensible ones do or say anything reasonable the IPOB killer types Butcher them and use them to make Egusi Soup

What offence did Dora Akunyili's husband commit for them to Slaughter him like that in the Middle of the Road ?

1 Like

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by joeyfire(m): 5:47pm On Dec 29, 2021
Deadlytruth:

You are lacking in brain. Those who actually complained about the first census were Southerner so how could they have complained about a census that gave them the upper hand? Go and get your facts right.
If the first census favoured the South, then why did Southerners allege rigging?
You obviously have no use for logical reasoning. In both censuses the figures allocated to the North beat those of the South combined.

Confusion grin

Deadlytruth:

So you never heard that the final results of a census can only come after all the disputes and court cases about it have been addressed? In the 2006 census you never heard Lagos State go to court over the abandonment of some enumeration units, won in court and INEC ordered to go and recount those enumeration units and add them to the preliminary results? What Balewa and Ahmadu Bello rejected were preliminary results. The final results that came after verification put the North ahead of the South and Michael Okpara and other Southerns rejected it and Balewa still allowed for a cancellation and then ordered a rerun in 1963. You are an ignoramus proud of your bold ignorance.

This is the cure for the gaping hole in your knowledge base on this particular topic cool-

https://nationalpopulation.gov.ng/about-us/history-of-population-censuses-in-nigeria/

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Deadlytruth(m): 6:09pm On Dec 29, 2021
joeyfire:

Balewa rejected it because it didnt favour the north and he ordered the disputed recount that the south rejected in 1963. Stop trying to twist this simple fact. It's as if lying is a reflex for you

Okay. Tell us about your migration from Israel to the present SE.

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Deadlytruth(m): 6:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
joeyfire:

Confusion grin

This is the cure for the gaping hole in your knowledge base on this particular topic cool-

https://nationalpopulation.gov.ng/about-us/history-of-population-censuses-in-nigeria/
You think I am still interested in engaging a person who entered into a debate with abusive language, dismissed a link as beer parlour gists but now posting links (i.e. similar beer parlour jists) to substantiate her own conjectures and couldn't explain why Nzeogwu had to put in his hit list the Zik who was pupurtedly a 100% powerless figurehead president who had no hands in the misrule of his coalition partner Balewa? You must have assumed you are engaging a fellow Biafran who would tolerate your hypocrisy.
That link you posted there is crap from a peppersoup and isiewu joint discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by gidgiddy: 6:23pm On Dec 29, 2021
These people are just plain ignorant. They say Ironsi removed Regionalism with one single decree in the 6 months he was in office. But Gowon was there for 9 years and could not use decree to return the so called Regionalism.

Gowon made Ironsi's Decree 34 look like childs play. Decree 34 was never a problem, the problem was that Ironsi was an Igbo man. Had Ironsi been a Northerner, nobody would have said anything, he would even still be alive today

With one single decree (Decree 14), Gowon destroyed Nigeria for good. From 4 Regions that had resource control under Ironsi, we went to 12 unitary states that had no power to control their resources. Resource control is the piller of true federalism because it is when you control your resources that you are your own master. When the federal government controls the resources, they become the master, and the Regions or states become mere 'units', or unitary rule. The fact that Ironsi never touched resource control and fiscal federalism means that nobody will ever be able to win the argument that he removed true federalism. He didnt even remove Regionalism as the 4 Regions were there until his death

Subsequent Military rulers from the North continued the state creation started by Gowon and today we have 36 states, all created by the military! Most of those states are not even viable

Even Ironsi would have been shocked at what those who came after him did to Nigeria. The same people who complained about decree 34. Not even Ironsi would have believed that Nigeria can go from 4 Regions to 36 states

Gowons decree 14 was a well calculated plan to make the North masters of Nigeria. The decree gave the Northern Region half the 12 states created, and guaranteed them political and economic control of Nigeria with the removal of resource control.

It is those who want to divert attention from all the evil machinations of Northern military rulers, starting with Gowon, that still talk about Ironsi and decree 34

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Deadlytruth(m): 6:44pm On Dec 29, 2021
gidgiddy:
These people are just plain ignorant. They say Ironsi removed Regionalism with one single decree in the 6 months he was in office. But Gowon was there for 9 years and could not use decree to return the so called Regionalism.

Gowon made Ironsi's Decree 34 look like childs play. Decree 34 was never a problem, the problem was that Ironsi was an Igbo man. Had Ironsi been a Northerner, nobody would have said anything, he would even still be alive today

With one single decree (Decree 14), Gowon destroyed Nigeria for good. From 4 Regions that had resource control under Ironsi, we went to 12 unitary states that had no power to control their resources. Resource control is the piller of true federalism because it is when you control your resources that you are your own master. When the federal government controls the resources, they become the master, and the Regions or states become mere 'units', or unitary rule. The fact that Ironsi never touched resource control and fiscal federalism means that nobody will ever be able to win the argument that he removed true federalism. He didnt even remove Regionalism as the 4 Regions were there until his death

Subsequent Military rulers from the North continued the state creation started by Gowon and today we have 36 states, all created by the military! Most of those states are not even viable

Even Ironsi would have been shocked at what those who came after him did to Nigeria. The same people who complained about decree 34. Not even Ironsi would have believed that Nigeria can go from 4 Regions to 36 states

Gowons decree 14 was a well calculated plan to make the North masters of Nigeria. The decree gave the Northern Region half the 12 states created, and guaranteed them political and economic control of Nigeria with the removal of resource control.

It is those who want to divert attention from all the evil machinations of Northern military rulers, starting with Gowon, that still talk about Ironsi and decree 34

The two questions you have always dodged are:

1. Did Gowon take any oath of office to protect and defend any constitution unlike Ironsi who took such oath but failed to fulfill it when the need arose?

2. Why should we blame Awolowo alone for the prevalence of tribalistic politics in Nigeria now on the assumption that he introduced it but have to blame the structural denaturation of Nigeria not on Ironsi who introduced it but on others who came after him and purportedly did worse in that regard?

I will begin to take you seriously the day you satisfactorily answer these two questions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Deadlytruth(m): 6:52pm On Dec 29, 2021
christistruth01:

It is IPOB types that are Savages

Look how they were dragging their own Traditional Rulers in the Sand before killing them. People who were not their fathers mates

There are very respectful and responsible Igbos the problem is the Ipob types that try to Kill and Cannibalise the Sensible ones the Moment they open their mouths to advise them to be Wise

The moment that the Sensible ones do or say anything reasonable the IPOB killer types Butcher them and use them to make Egusi Soup

What offence did Dora Akunyili's husband commit for them to Slaughter him like that in the Middle of the Road ?
Honestly speaking, I have been suffering depression ever since I watched the video clip on how they murdered Dora's husband by ripping his head apart with bullets for no known offence or crime. My depression worsened when I later read about how many mountains the man had moved in medical philanthropy all over Anambra and Imo States. I am still in that depression now and I don't see me getting over it anytime soon. I will never forgive Ipob for that wickedness. This is one of the reasons I will personally relocate from the SS and take up a new ethnicity either in the North or SW the day any SS state agrees to join Biafra.

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by ebufa: 7:52pm On Dec 29, 2021
Igbokid:

Mazi Osu pig.
This thread epitomises the trachearous tendencies of the Igbo.
How Igbos killed the leaders of other groups while sparing theirs . The so called corrupt government was a coalition of the Igbo and Fulanis but Igbos in their usual hypocrisy and back stabbing nature murdered others in cold blood while shielding theirs.

Azikwe cowardly ran to the carribean for an endless health cruise.
The cowardly and trachearous Igbo tribe derailed Nigeria's progress till this moment.

You backstabbing cowards east of the niger river would continue reaping the fruits of your generational treachery till the end of time in our political space .

You'd continue wailing endlessly for the elusive Biafra for betraying the whole of Nigeria .
Backstabbing bastards!!

e pain am o! anago skull mining exponent! ndi uchu ! blubber lipped fiends from the wastelands! that is why you ppl conspired in 2015 to bring in sahelian savages to destroy what is left of the zoo, see the number of indigent people and xtians that have been massacred by your Assyrian cousins from futa Djallon............all because of your fear and envy of the children of light from the east, come rain come shine,we will continue to dominate you guys on any level playing field............the civil war afonja/Fulani conspiracy that led to the starvation of millions of our children is well and truly alive but God pass una...................every conspiracy get expiry date..........we will soon get you lice off our hair! ugly both in soul and face!

By the way, the so-called January 66 coup was masterminded by British intelligence Mi5 but dumbos like you will never know....hate and jealousy will not allow you to see road! that coup was a classic false flag operation,planned and executed to ultimately remove all igbo influence from the oil fields located in the eastern region.......

e

3 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by christistruth01: 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Honestly speaking, I have been suffering depression ever since I watched the video clip on how they murdered Dora's husband by ripping his head apart with bullets for no known offence or crime. My depression worsened when I later read about how many mountains the man had moved in medical philanthropy all over Anambra and Imo States. I am still in that depression now and I don't see me getting over it anytime soon. I will never forgive Ipob for that wickedness. This is one of the reasons I will personally relocate from the SS and take up a new ethnicity either in the North or SW the day any SS state agrees to join Biafra.

Dora Akunyili's was a fantastic Woman
but how did these thugs treat her were they not trying to kill her when all she wanted was the best for her People

Don't you remember when they shot Dora through the Gele Head Tie on her head just Missing her Skull by.less than an inch

And what was Aunty Dora's offence O!

She wanted to save lives by eliminating fake Drugs

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Deadlytruth(m): 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2021
joeyfire:

If I tell you to bring proof that southerners contested the first census and give you auhoritative sources you will type long, empty epistles that you are more "impeccable" than Nigerian Population Commission website grin
Look, go and sleep. You have nothing to say. If you could bring up a link which contradicted your own claim, then what proof are you boasting of and beating your empty chest about again?
If you see a person always complaining of the legth of a write ups, just know that such a person has no use for details. Didn't you read voluminous Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Government, etc textbooks some of which were up to 500 pages? Don't you attend symposia where the keynote address typed and distributed runs into at least 5 pages? Don't you read 200 page Fiscal year end reports of companies you have investments in?
Look you don't talk like an intellect at all. You bore me please. I am not learning anything new thing from your presentations here. There are people one debates with and one gains new knowledge from the engagement even if one disagrees with the opponent. Yours is nothing near that.
Can't you see Christistruth001 furnishing us here with classified documents from the national archives and not what one individual blogger wrote on Wikipedia? Please free me joor.

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by DMerciful(m): 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2021
It was a foolish thing, it has to be scrapped. Do we have the Scottish, Wales, Northern Ireland embassies in Nigeria?
christistruth01:

The British Colonial Government Permitted the Western Region to have its own UK Embassy it was part of the Regional autonomy Awolowo negotiated at Independence so what is the Problem

It was Ironsi's Unification decree that closed that Embassy down
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Pakute: 11:33pm On Dec 29, 2021
DMerciful:
It was a foolish thing, it has to be scrapped. Do we have the Scottish, Wales, Northern Ireland embassies in Nigeria?
You're even more foolish and dumb. Every region was liberty to develop at its own pace with the resources at her disposal. It was for the fact that your forefathers had no foresight to facilitate the development of her people and the prospects of her people abroad which is your bane in every human developmental index.
But you believed the embassy had to be scrapped because your head is scrapped off its brain box. Do we have Scottish, Wales & Northern Ireland embassies in Nigerian yet Nigeria has an embassy in the UK?
Swear down, you guys are a pile of scum.
I wished Gowon had finished you off completely.

3 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by DMerciful(m): 11:40pm On Dec 29, 2021
Run along, you ain't making sense!
Pakute:

You're even more foolish and dumb. Every region was liberty to develop at its own pace with the resources at her disposal. It was for the fact that your forefathers had no foresight to facilitate the development of her people and the prospects of her people abroad which is your bane in every human developmental index.
But you believed the embassy had to be scrapped because your head is scrapped off its brain box. Do we have Scottish, Wales & Northern Ireland embassies in Nigerian yet Nigeria has an embassy in the UK?
Swear down, you guys are a pile of scum.
I wished Gowon had finished you off completely.

1 Like

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Igboid: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2021
WhizdomXX:
The past is the past Igbos played their role albeit wrongly, Yorubas played their role, albeit tribally.
Northerners played their role, albeit too politically
The main thing is that we forget the Past nd work together to make a United Developed Nigeria. Yh.

There is no working together between light and darkness.

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Pakute: 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2021
DMerciful:
Run along, you ain't making sense!
You're dumb dumb. If your braindead forebears had made the slightest of an effort to have had an embassy at the time, you wouldn't conveniently talk down the essence of having one, much less scrapping it off. Goat.
People like you end up being miserable in life.

3 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Pakute: 12:05am On Dec 30, 2021
gidgiddy:

See this idiot blaming the Northerners but conveniently absorbing his self-seeking ibo forebears as much guilt. I want to believe something is generally wrong with you guys. Every other person is/was wrong except you, despite your greed being the major culprit of everything fundamentally gone wrong in Nigeria.

A demon called Ironsi woke up one tipsy morning and destroyed the vestiges of regionalism, thus becoming provinces with no executive power. From being a federation to a republic. Yet you have the guts to justify the sheer insanity perpetrated by Ironsi who is currently burning in hell.
Ironsi killed regionalism while Gowon simply burried it .. simple.

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by gidgiddy: 2:13am On Dec 30, 2021
Pakute:

See this idiot blaming the Northerners but conveniently absorbing his self-seeking ibo forebears as much guilt. I want to believe something is generally wrong with you guys. Every other person is/was wrong except you, despite your greed being the major culprit of everything fundamentally gone wrong in Nigeria.

A demon called Ironsi woke up one tipsy morning and destroyed the vestiges of regionalism, thus becoming provinces with no executive power. From being a federation to a republic. Yet you have the guts to justify the sheer insanity perpetrated by Ironsi who is currently burning in hell.

And what did those who said Ironsi was evil do after killing him m, and bringing in Gowon? They subdivided the 4 Regions that existed under Ironsi into 12 states, took away resource control and fiscal federalism, and made Nigeria as unitary as possible by placing all resources in the hands of the federal government.

The same people who complained about Ironsi are the same people who took us from 4 Regions with resource control under Ironsi, to 36 states with little or no resource control

The funny part of it all is that the same Northerners who were complaining about Ironsi, his decree 34, only kicked him out of power so they could do far much worse.

Well, when Ironsi was still alive, we still had 4 Regions, every Region had resource control, and Ironsi respected fiscal federalism and the revenue sharing formular agreed at independence

Gowon who came in, abolished all four Regions, created 12 states, removed resource control, fiscal federalism and the revenue sharing agreement of independence. Subsequent Northern military rulers continued from Gowon and kept Sub-dividing Nigeria until we got our present 36 states

If Ironsi were alive today to see how Northerners took the 4 Regions under him, that had resource control and were maintaining them, to 36 states begging federal government for subvention every month, he probably would have probably wished he was dead

3 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Pakute: 5:59am On Dec 30, 2021
gidgiddy:

And what did those who said Ironsi was evil do after killing him m, and bringing in Gowon? They subdivided the 4 Regions that existed under Ironsi into 12 states, took away resource control and fiscal federalism, and made Nigeria as unitary as possible by placing all resources in the hands of the federal government.

The same people who complained about Ironsi are the same people who took us from 4 Regions with resource control under Ironsi, to 36 states with little or no resource control

The funny part of it all is that the same Northerners who were complaining about Ironsi, his decree 34, only kicked him out of power so they could do far much worse.

Well, when Ironsi was still alive, we still had 4 Regions, every Region had resource control, and Ironsi respected fiscal federalism and the revenue sharing formular agreed at independence

Gowon who came in, abolished all four Regions, created 12 states, removed resource control, fiscal federalism and the revenue sharing agreement of independence. Subsequent Northern military rulers continued from Gowon and kept Sub-dividing Nigeria until we got our present 36 states

If Ironsi were alive today to see how Northerners took the 4 Regions under him, that had resource control and were maintaining them, to 36 states begging federal government for subvention every month, he probably would have probably wished he was dead
Stop talking like a goat. There was nothing regional about the regions anylonger. Regions that could no longer make laws for theirselves and civil service were no longer exclusive to their respective regions but had become national and subservient to the control at the center and whatever was generated by each region was also no longer exclusive within the purview of the region but to the center.
EVERYTHING had become NATIONAL with the CENTER being STRONGER while the REGIONS being WEAKER which was a complete opposite previously before Aguiyi took over.
Regions no longer had their former structures after Ironsi's decree, they were broken into PROVINCES, you dimwit. We had a group of weaker pronvinces under a military Governor who lacked executive power but under the control of a stronger center. That was exactly what Ironsi did.
In comparison, what Gowon did was far better than Ironsi's foolish decree. It's better to have a group of states each with its own Governor than Ironsi's foolish decree of a group of provinces all under one Governor. It's better a state to administer itself than a group of provinces that can't administer themselves.
It was only a matter of time before the regions lost their resource control. A stronger and newly more expansive center needed more financial powers to cater to the weaker federating units who now rely on it. If Aguiyi could shed the regions off their political and administrative powers, why wouldn't his successor also shed them off their financial or fiscal powers?.. don't be dumb.
Only fools with a brain of a lizard would keep covering up the grave foolishness of a greedy old fool called Ironsi for the purpose of consolation.
When you stripped powers off the regions and took it to the center, you've killed federalism, that's a fact. Why would I blame Gowon who met a very powerful center. Would I expect him to weaken his power that he had on a platter?.. Only fools would expect anything different. Till date, I'm still waiting for a President that will reverse the structure, reduce his power at Abuja and strengthen the States.
Why would anyone reduces his political power?. Has any of your state Governor in the SE been able to shed more powers to the local governments under them?. Don't you ever again blame Gowon for the foolishness of Ironsi.
Ironsi killed the structures and foundation our forefathers fought for and laid down for us pre independence.

I'm done with you. I'm no longer interested in your stupid back & forth.

4 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by bomb24: 9:56am On Dec 30, 2021
Deadlytruth:

You are lacking in brain. Those who actually complained about the first census were Southerner so how could they have complained about a census that gave them the upper hand? Go and get your facts right.
If the first census favoured the South, then why did Southerners allege rigging?
You obviously have no use for logical reasoning. In both censuses the figures allocated to the North beat those of the South combined.

Afonja sophisticated slowpoke, joeyfire really did a good work in flogging your oblong skull back to proportional shape....

U opened a stupid thread to spite the Igbo only to be sent to the cleaners.

1 Like

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by WhizdomXX(m): 10:41am On Dec 30, 2021
Igboid:

There is no working together between light and darkness.
When will you guys realize that even in the 1999 constitution, there's no provision for secession.

1 Like

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by gidgiddy: 12:41pm On Dec 30, 2021
Pakute:

Yeah and Northerners killed Ironsi only to come in subdivide Nigeria into 36 states from the 4 Regions Ironsi had

The people who did far worse than Ironsi ever did are the ones criticising Ironsi
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by gidgiddy: 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2021
Pakute:

Stop talking like a goat. There was nothing regional about the regions anylonger. Regions that could no longer make laws for theirselves and civil service were no longer exclusive to their respective regions but had become national and subservient to the control at the center and whatever was generated by each region was also no longer exclusive within the purview of the region but to the center.
EVERYTHING had become NATIONAL with the CENTER being STRONGER while the REGIONS being WEAKER which was a complete opposite previously before Aguiyi took over.
Regions no longer had their former structures after Ironsi's decree, they were broken into PROVINCES, you dimwit. We had a group of weaker pronvinces under a military Governor who lacked executive power but under the control of a stronger center. That was exactly what Ironsi did.
In comparison, what Gowon did was far better than Ironsi's foolish decree. It's better to have a group of states each with its own Governor than Ironsi's foolish decree of a group of provinces all under one Governor. It's better a state to administer itself than a group of provinces that can't administer themselves.
It was only a matter of time before the regions lost their resource control. A stronger and newly more expansive center needed more financial powers to cater to the weaker federating units who now rely on it. If Aguiyi could shed the regions off their political and administrative powers, why wouldn't his successor also shed them off their financial or fiscal powers?.. don't be dumb.
Only fools with a brain of a lizard would keep covering up the grave foolishness of a greedy old fool called Ironsi for the purpose of consolation.
When you stripped powers off the regions and took it to the center, you've killed federalism, that's a fact. Why would I blame Gowon who met a very powerful center. Would I expect him to weaken his power that he had on a platter?.. Only fools would expect anything different. Till date, I'm still waiting for a President that will reverse the structure, reduce his power at Abuja and strengthen the States.
Why would anyone reduces his political power?. Has any of your state Governor in the SE been able to shed more powers to the local governments under them?. Don't you ever again blame Gowon for the foolishness of Ironsi.
Ironsi killed the structures and foundation our forefathers fought for and laid down for us pre independence.

I'm done with you. I'm no longer interested in your stupid back & forth.

Thats why the should teach more of Nigerian history. The Regions maintained resource control throughout the 6 months of Ironsi. Ironsi was the only military ruler who maintained the boundaries of the 4 Regions and respected the revenue sharing formular agreed at independence. Anyone saying that Ironsi broke the Regions up into provinces does not know what the arr talking about, the Regions were made up of provinces any way same as states are made up of local governments. Can any state be broken up into local governments when it is already made up of local governments?

Ironso was the only military ruler who respected the boundaries of the 4 Regions he inherited

Ironsi was the only military ruler who kept resource control

Ironsi was the only military ruler who kept the revenue sharing formular and fiscal federalism agreed at independence

What did those military rulers from North who came after Ironsi, like Gowon, do?

They subdivided the 4 Regions into 36 states we have today

They took away resource control and fiscal federalism and made Nigeria federal in name only.

All those who came after Ironsi did far worse than Ironsi

1 Like

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Idiko1: 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Only among Igbos do you find people dismiss hard facts backed up with documental evidence without providing superior contrary facts. This national broadcast is documented in a gazzete in the national archives. They are not conjectures or opinions at all. If you want a link to the original copy of Ironsi's national broadcast as reproduced below, you will gladly be furnished with it except you are just one of the lazy ipobians who hate to read.

The same moronic gazette and national archives which could not determine that Duke Bassey who was commissioned 2Lt into Bristish West African Front Force the same year with Ironsi, Ademulegun and Seyi, Ghanian, resigned his commission in 1953 the year Umoh Bassey was commissioned 2Lt.
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Idiko1: 2:18pm On Dec 30, 2021
gidgiddy:
The issue of Regionalism and who removed it is one of the reasons why they dont teach Nigerian history in schools, they dont want people to know the truth.

Ironsi was in power for 6 months. When Ironsi came to power, there 4 Regions

1. Eastern Region

2. Midwest Region

3. Western Region

4. Northern Region

These 4 Regions existed throughout the 6 months of the Ironsi regime right up to the 29th July 1966, the day Ironsi was killed

So how could Ironsi have removed Regionalism?

After the death of Ironsi, Gowon took over and the 4 Regions kept existing for another 10 months until May 1967 when Gowon issued Decree 14 of 1967, which abolished the 4 Regions and replaced them with 12 new states which were:

1. Northwestern State

2. kaduna State

3. kano Sate

4. Northeastern State

5. Kwara State

6. Benue-Plateau State

7. Western State

8. Bendel State

9. East Central State

10. Cross Rivers State

11. Lagos State

12. Rivers State

So it is clear to even a blind man that it was Gowon who removed Regionalism when he created 12 states. So why people are still arguing this after all these years is what I dont know

It was even Gowons removal of the Regions that made Ojukwu declare Biafra

Nigeria is not called basket of idiots for nothing. The people from US say, "A person cannot fix stupidity". Please do not waste your time educating the stones in Nigeria.
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Idiko1: 2:24pm On Dec 30, 2021
Christistruth00:

Gen Ironsi’s name was on the list to deceive Ademoyega and Nzeogwu into thinking it was a National Coup otherwise they would not have taken part

When Ademoyega asked to be responsible for dealing with Ironsi because he wanted to make sure Gen Ironsi would not be able to. escape he was not allowed b

Instead Capt Oji who was from the same Hometown of Umuahia as Ironsi was given the Job of Eliminating Ironsi

Imagine !

Who does that

Is it any wonder that Ironsi was unscathed and ended up taking Power ?

Would the Coup plotters have asked Muritala Mohammed to Eliminate Sardauna or Balewa except because they deliberately wanted to Sabotage the Elimination of the target ?

You are either intellectually lazy or expertly copyist. The duty to arrest Ironsi fell in the hands of Major Don Okafor.
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Idiko1: 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2021
christistruth01:

Don't you find it annoying how Wellington Duke Umoh Bassey Of Calabar And his Army Career were almost destroyed to make way for his junior Officer Gen Ironsi to Emerge as the Head of Army

Azikiwe was supposed to have been fighting for all of Bassey's delayed Promotions since Bassey was from Calabar in Azikiwe's Eastern Region
To add insult to injury they tried to eliminate Bassey during the Jan 1966 Coup

Ironsi Got to Power again only to make Ojukwu who was 11 years Basseys Junior Officer the Governor of the Eastern Region

But to be honest Azikiwe complained to Ironsi about that one

Just look at what Azikiwe wrote in his book
" Origins of the Nigerian Civil War " on pages 1 and 2 admitting that Gen Ironsi had played the Tribalism Card on Wellington Bassey to make Ojukwu who was 11 years his Junior Officer the Governor of the Eastern Region

Cc gidgiddy,nku5

When Duke Bassey and Aguiyi Ironsi were members of British West African Frontier Force, Azikwe has no say in what the British did with the unit. Ugboma and Duke Bassey resigned their commission in 1953 before Nigeria became an independent country.
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by Pakute: 2:39pm On Dec 30, 2021
gidgiddy:

[s]Thats why the should teach more of Nigerian history. The Regions maintained resource control throughout the 6 months of Ironsi. Ironsi was the only military ruler who maintained the boundaries of the 4 Regions and respected the revenue sharing formular agreed at independence. Anyone saying that Ironsi broke the Regions up into provinces does not know what the arr talking about, the Regions were made up of provinces any way same as states are made up of local governments. Can any state be broken up into local governments when it is already made up of local governments?

Ironso was the only military ruler who respected the boundaries of the 4 Regions he inherited

Ironsi was the only military ruler who kept resource control

Ironsi was the only military ruler who kept the revenue sharing formular and fiscal federalism agreed at independence

What did those military rulers from North who came after Ironsi, like Gowon, do?

They subdivided the 4 Regions into 36 states we have today

They took away resource control and fiscal federalism and made Nigeria federal in name only.

All those who came after Ironsi did far worse than Ironsi[/s]
Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by christistruth01: 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2021
Idiko1:

When Duke Bassey and Aguiyi Ironsi were members of British West African Frontier Force, Azikwe has no say in what the British did with the unit. Ugboma and Duke Bassey resigned their commission in 1953 before Nigeria became an independent country.

Wellington Umoh Bassey never re-signed until after Gowon was President

Bassey served in Gowons Government until 1975

Can you believe that it was Gowon who finally Promoted the long-suffering and loyal Wellington Bassey to Brigadier in 1967 3 years after his Junior Gen Ironsi had become a Brigadier

What did Azikiwe do to fight this great injustice against Wellington Bassey of Calabar when his was Premier of the Eastern Region

Nothing!!!
Because Azikiwe was the Architect of Wellington Bassey's ordeal

Wellington Bassey was the most Senior Army Officer at Independence and he was the one who Commanded the Independence day Parade

The British at the Time had been grooming Wellington Bassey to take over the leadership of the Nigerian Army because he was it's most Senior Officer

They had only wanted Bassey to gain more Promotions before handing over the leadership of the Nigerian Army to him

But Azikiwe and his allies had started decimating Bassey's Career the moment that the British stepped on the Boat back to England. and by 1962 Wellington Umoh Bassey Of Calabar who had been Awarded an MBE in 1957 by the Queen of England for his Army Service had been abandoned in a Captains Post at Zaria depot by those who were determined to frustrate his destiny

Meanwhile Azikiwe and his allies made sure Wellington Bassey's Junior Gen Ironsi was busy leading the Nigerian UN Contingent in the Congo so as to make Ironsi look more eligible for the leadership of the Nigerian Army than Wellington Bassey whom the British had been Preparing for that leadership role

What was Wellington Bassey's offence that Azikiwe was determined to frustrate his Army Career at all costs ?

Wellington Bassey was from Calabar !!!!!

Wellington Bassey's case Should be made a Compulsory History Study for all Nigerians there is so much to learn from it

Do you know that Wellington Bassey whom Gen Ironsi again passed over to make his Kinsman Ojukwu (11 years Ojukwu's junior Officer) Governor of the Eastern Region was completely Anti War and served in Gowons Government through out the War ?

That tells you that if Wellington Bassey had been given his rightful Position there would have likely been no need to fight any War in the first place

Wise Old Warhorse Wellington Bassey had no problem serving under Gowon whom Bassey had helped to recruit into the. Army when he was a Major in 1954 !!!

Wellington Bassey was not Ironsi and Ojukwu's mate in the Army

He was their Father !!!

Did Ironsi even enjoy the Head of Army Position that Azikiwe delivered to him by oppressing and cheating Bassey

No!!

It didn't even take up to 2 years before the Head of Army Position killed Gen Ironsi

At least Wellington Bassey could afterwards look up to God , Give Thanks and accept that his ordeal at the hands of Azikiwe and his boys was the Price Bassey had to pay for living a long and fulfilled life on Earth

3 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by T9ksy(m): 4:37pm On Dec 30, 2021
Idiko1:

You are either intellectually lazy or expertly copyist. The duty to arrest Ironsi fell in the hands of Major Don Okafor.

So why did Major Don Okafor failed to arrest Ironsi?

Probably because this same Okafor, who happens to be one of the trio coupists (the other two being Major Ifeajunna and Capt Oji) , was busy chasing after Brigadier Mai-malari hide after his botched attempt at the latter's residence at 11 Thompson Ave, ikoyi.

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by christistruth01: 5:12pm On Dec 30, 2021
T9ksy:

So why did Major Don Okafor failed to arrest Ironsi?

Probably because this same Okafor, who happens to be one of the trio coupists (the other two being Major Ifeajunna and Capt Oji) , was busy chasing after Brigadier Mai-malari hide after his botched attempt at the latter's residence at 11 Thompson Ave, ikoyi.

Did you know that Capt Oji was from the same Hometown of Umuahia as Gen Ironsi and yet was supposed to be one of those arresting Gen Ironsi
Ademoyega had asked to deal with Ironsi to make sure he would not escape but Ifeajuna had flatly refused assigning Ademoyega to disconnect the phone lines instead

Is it any wonder that Gen Ironsi ended up in Power

Ademoyega had a fist fight in Prison with Ifeajuna after he discovered that he had been scammed into what he thought was a National Coup

2 Likes

Re: Unanswered Questions On Ironsi And The Regional System. by T9ksy(m): 8:33pm On Dec 30, 2021
christistruth01:

Did you know that Capt Oji was from the same Hometown of Umuahia as Gen Ironsi and yet was supposed to be one of those arresting Gen Ironsi
Ademoyega had asked to deal with Ironsi to make sure he would not escape but Ifeajuna had flatly refused assigning Ademoyega to disconnect the phone lines instead

Is it any wonder that Gen Ironsi ended up in Power

Ademoyega had a fist fight in Prison with Ifeajuna after he discovered that he had been scammed into what he thought was a National Coup

Meanwhile, Major Donatius Okafor
was a month before the coup, found guilty of stealing his subordinates fund in a military trial, however Brigadier Mai-malari, okafor's Brigade commander was lenient with him and left him off the hook.

Barely 3weeks later, okafor was leading troops to go and kill his benefactor on charges of corruption!.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Why The Word ‘’peacebuilding’’ Must Get Into Dictionary Before September 21st / Federal High Court With 75 Judges Has 128,000 Pending Cases - Chief Judge / World’s Longest-serving President Wins Re-election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.