Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Japan Or Singapore - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japan Or Singapore (22870 Views)

Japan Or South Korea / Singapore And Japan Have World's Most Powerful Passports,See Where Nigeria Is / New Advise On How To Travel To Hong Kong Or Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japan Or Singapore by kishimi8(m): 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:

Thanks but i do not agree with your assertions, and as such i will speak for Japan.
1. Japan is relatively affordable. tuition in National universities is 600,000 yen annually. and masters programs are 2 years research program.
2. Japan offers competitive international education. do not take my word for it, simply google and check the QS world university rankings.
3. All schools in the world will take your money. The issue is what would you learn. Masters programs in Japan are research based not course work.
4. everyone is racist. English and factory work becomes the only job option available to you if you refuse to even learn basic japanese. in the IT field in which i suppose robotics belongs to , you don't need to be fluent to get jobs in that field. Infact with a college degree and experience , it is far more easier for you to get a job in IT field and in Factory. I know some many foreigners working for micro pressor and semi conductor companies in Saitama and Hiroshima, with basic japanese language ability. if also in doubt check LinkedIn Japanese job page.

In summary, would it be tough, hell YES,
Would it be worth it, SUPER HELL YES.
Would you look back and say i am glad i chose Japan to study... HELL YES with all the struggles japan will throw at you.

Bro side question , PLS, at 32yrs is it possible to get a MSC in Japan?
Re: Japan Or Singapore by grandstar(m): 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2021
wealthgoddess:
.you should tell us the cities you might be heading to in either of Singapore or Japan. But all in all, Singapore has a very high standard of living.

Singapore is a city state.

This one weak me

2 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Psalmistproject: 1:35pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:

Thanks but i do not agree with your assertions, and as such i will speak for Japan.
1. Japan is relatively affordable. tuition in National universities is 600,000 yen annually. and masters programs are 2 years research program.
2. Japan offers competitive international education. do not take my word for it, simply google and check the QS world university rankings.
3. All schools in the world will take your money. The issue is what would you learn. Masters programs in Japan are research based not course work.
4. everyone is racist. English and factory work becomes the only job option available to you if you refuse to even learn basic japanese. in the IT field in which i suppose robotics belongs to , you don't need to be fluent to get jobs in that field. Infact with a college degree and experience , it is far more easier for you to get a job in IT field and in Factory. I know some many foreigners working for micro pressor and semi conductor companies in Saitama and Hiroshima, with basic japanese language ability. if also in doubt check LinkedIn Japanese job page.

Would you look back and say i am glad i chose Japan to study... HELL YES with all the struggles japan will throw at you.
So how do you know all these? By hearsay? Google? Or have actually lived there?
Don't fking say hearsay or Google!!
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nairalando: 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2021
mmsen:

Explain how you will get experience in a racist society?

Sorry I had to reply, though you didn't ask me.
There is racism everywhere and sometimes we conclude it's racism even when it's not.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by mmsen: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2021
Nairalando:

Sorry I had to reply, though you didn't ask me.
There is racism everywhere and sometimes we conclude it's racism even when it's not.

There are degrees of racism but the level of racism in Japan (and Asian nations in general) is extreme.

Other Asians will tell you horror stories of how they have been treated in nations outside of their own.

3 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Szilard: 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2021
Elsueno:
The day I chose to ditch Nigeria. I will relocate to Japan.....I just find thier historical stuff awesome....

Screw that..

I just fuvking LOVE ANImE. SAMURAI & NIanjAs grin , plus thier language is just soo cool, Arigato guzaimasu grin

Bro, no be only you oo

I find those guys fascinating...their culture and belief system is so crazy

Although they are extreme in certain areas, but overall...they intrigue me

I'll surely tour Japan soon!

3 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Bigkoko: 1:51pm On Dec 28, 2021
Simvan:
Please try and ignore my punctuation errors.

I have plans to study robotics after getting my bsc degree in Nigeria, and I am here to find out from those that have idea on how things go in both countries(Japan and Singapore), with regards to;
1. Cost of living.
2. Where can I get a better degree.
3. My chance of being accepted in their university.
4. My chance of getting a job after graduating.

Please if you have a better suggestions aside the two countries I gave, I am open to learning from you.

Use this Strategy. Register a Company in Kigali Rwanda. Get their PR. Apply to any school in Singapore, it's a straight forward Visa for you. Make sure your Company business is in the IT related sector.

Singapore is Visa free for Rwandans. A Rwandan PR on your passport opens an avalanche of opportunities for you.

Don't wait till then start now.
Contact us on how to register a Company in Kigali Rwanda for you!

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nairalando: 1:51pm On Dec 28, 2021
mmsen:

There are degrees of racism but the level of racism in Japan (and Asian nations in general) is extreme.

Other Asians will tell you horror stories of how they have been treated in nations outside of their own.

Yes. I agree with you about the degree of racism.

I was in The Philippines in 2018-2019. Before I left for the country, my team and I were given 3 days cultural orientation by a Filipino. We had stories of how Filipinos are very welcoming and friendly.

When we got there, yes.. everyone was friendly and nice till a westerner among us addressed the leader of the group we went to visit by her first name.. ofcourse, there was a change of reaction and atmosphere but because of her experience she got it under control.

What am I trying to say? Most people don't know how to deal with cultural shock and embrace new culture..

I know how I would feel if some foreigner comes to live in my neighborhood and keep addressing my father by his first name or doing all sort of things that we consider insulting.

Asian culture is somehow similar to Africans'.

5 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by olas24u(f): 2:02pm On Dec 28, 2021
iLegendd:

He's not going there for drugs or scam. I know what you're thinking. Also, racism doesn't exist. People with low self-esteem are the ones that complain about racism.

Racism exist every where ,nothing like low self esteem, they will show you ,they will stand up and not seat near you in the train,is that low self esteem also?The arabs are the worst

3 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Blazadenise(m): 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2021
Una won leave us here for naija.. Nawa ooooh

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by BJanta: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:

You're well-rounded.

2 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by EdoBoy90(m): 2:07pm On Dec 28, 2021
As a professional in robotics, US is your best option. Standard of education and many opportunities for robotic Experts.

University of Michigan just created its Robotic Department this December, 2021.

Texas A&M University has controls with rovotics and mechatronics as an application area.

Florida State Univertsity and University of Notre Dame too

All as research areas in Mechanical Engineering for PhD.

Good Luck!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japan Or Singapore by schoolboymatt(m): 2:08pm On Dec 28, 2021
Cousin9999:

1. Neither is affordable.
2. Neither offers an especially competitive international education.
3. Both will gladly accept you to any uni and take your money while telling you the education is competitive.
4. Singapore is racist. There's no jobs there for you unless you're already working for a foreign firm that sends you there. Even if there were, you would be treated terribly. Japan is also racist. The only jobs available to you are English teaching and factory work. In both jobs, you likely won't be paid (or paid barely anything), will be abused, and will be in unsafe conditions. Japan also has no laws against racism. And any labor laws in Asia mean nothing. Ask any well-educated Asian in a real profession how much those labor laws mean, and watch them laugh. Asia is not Europe. It just looks the part. Don't be fooled.

Focus on west Europe and North America.
thank you.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by mmsen: 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2021
Nairalando:

Yes. I agree with you about the degree of racism.

I was in The Philippines in 2018-2019. Before I left for the country, my team and I were given 3 days cultural orientation by a Filipino. We had stories of how Filipinos are very welcoming and friendly.

When we got there, yes.. everyone was friendly and nice till a westerner among us addressed the leader of the group we went to visit by her first name.. ofcourse, there was a change of reaction and atmosphere but because of her experience she got it under control.

What am I trying to say? Most people don't know how to deal with cultural shock and embrace new culture..

I know how I would feel if some foreigner comes to live in my neighborhood and keep addressing my father by his first name or doing all sort of things that we consider insulting.

Asian culture is somehow similar to Africans'.

I get very disturbed when people compare African to Asian culture, that is not necessarily true nor is it something to be proud of. Africans, in my experience, are a lot more welcoming and tolerant than Asians. Even the Islamic areas of west Africa (outside of the Sharia states in northern Nigeria and maybe Sudan) are more tolerant than Asian societies.

4 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by BJanta: 2:13pm On Dec 28, 2021
Cousin9999:

^ People like this promote Japan because they're paid to do it. Why?
- They're an agent.
- They work for universities.
- They're a scammer.

All of the individuals above are trying to sell you a dream, and hoping your ignorance and/or desperation is stronger than your common sense.

I know it's hard to judge what's true if you just don't have accurate information, experience, or know anyone you trust. I also recognize that the west heavily promotes Japan as a good place. But that's just not true. Even foreigners who go there under the best circumstances (foreign firm, high paying jobs) don't see it that way.

All of you are right. But I know one for sure , human rights have no meaning in most Asian countries, at least not in the way we know it in Nigeria here. Another downthumb against Singapore is that it is a Muslim country. Any silly mistake, you find the hangman's noose dangling before your face. Move to the West.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nairalando: 2:13pm On Dec 28, 2021
EdoBoy90:
As a professional in robotics, US is your best option. Standard of education and many opportunities for robotic Experts.

University of Michigan just created its Robotic Department this December, 2021.

Texas A&M University has controls with rovotics and mechatronics as an application area.

Florida State Univertsity and University of Notre Dame too

All as research areas in Mechanical Engineering for PhD.

Good Luck!!!

I love your perspective on this.

Did a quick search on google
https://news.umich.edu/u-m-founds-first-robotics-department-among-top-10-engineering-schools/
Re: Japan Or Singapore by BJanta: 2:17pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:

Okay now no be scam again.
it is na wether i be chinko?
I don laff tire.
Mehn naija, once person no gree with you , the person automatically becomes scammer.
Weldon.c

You've made your point, move on and leave them behind.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Moikiitos: 2:24pm On Dec 28, 2021
Racism is everywhere...even among ourselves as Nigerians. Have you seen us talked among ourselves. Japan is better options for me except for the language. I did an exchange program there and loved it.

Cousin9999:

3. Both will gladly accept you to any uni and take your money while telling you the education is competitive.
4. Singapore is racist. There's no jobs there for you unless you're already working for a foreign firm that sends you there. Even if there were, you would be treated terribly. Japan is also racist. The only jobs available to you are English teaching and factory work. In both jobs, you likely won't be paid (or paid barely anything), will be abused, and will be in unsafe conditions. Japan also has no laws against racism. And any labor laws in Asia mean nothing. Ask any well-educated Asian in a real profession how much those labor laws mean, and watch them laugh. Asia is not Europe. It just looks the part. Don't be fooled.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by blackbriar: 2:35pm On Dec 28, 2021
kishimi8:

Bro side question , PLS, at 32yrs is it possible to get a MSC in Japan?

it is very possible.
Yes Japanese students will be shocked becasue they finish school early ;averagely at 23years with masters.
But you can get admission , age is not an issue.

2 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2021
mmsen:

There is little or no racism in Japan. Blacks especially are welcome and treated without any discrimination in Japan and they get good paying jobs as well.

Based on their culture Japanese are very friendly people. Forget all this media nonsense.

If you are a black and you live in Japan you will realize it's safer, more peaceful for you than your own country. Even black Americans find it much safer for them than America.

4 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by blackbriar: 2:48pm On Dec 28, 2021
Cousin9999:

^ People like this promote Japan because they're paid to do it. Why?
- They're an agent.
- They work for universities.
- They're a scammer.

All of the individuals above are trying to sell you a dream, and hoping your ignorance and/or desperation is stronger than your common sense.

I know it's hard to judge what's true if you just don't have accurate information, experience, or know anyone you trust. I also recognize that the west heavily promotes Japan as a good place. But that's just not true. Even foreigners who go there under the best circumstances (foreign firm, high paying jobs) don't see it that way.

I did not see this statement earlier.
are you sure , sir?
Japan has basic health insurance for all its populace and foreign residents.
That is you can go to hospital 5 times a week, if you are bored. The Japanese government pays 70 percent of the bill why you foot the remaining 30 percent. USA does not have this. Americans living in Japan are super grateful o japan for this

Japan has a marvelous train network connecting all areas and cities of the nation. it is safe , you can work 2 am at night without worry. Thats why you see beautiful pictures of japan on the internet mostly uploaded by the same foreigners

3 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by clothingonline(m): 2:50pm On Dec 28, 2021
Japan has technology
Singapore is beautiful

Affordable men clothing payment on delivery

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by kwasoly(m): 2:58pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:

So you Sabi all this one you come dey ask.
Mtcheew
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2021
Cousin9999:

1. Japan is way more affordable than Singapore. In fact, considering the size of the economy and status in the world, Japan is a better option for middle class/hustlers' Nigerians who aspire to acquire foreign education over countries in Europe and North America. Singapore is exorbitant.

2. That's untrue. Both countries have highly ranked universities and work experience from companies in both countries are well regarded.

3. Entirely untrue. I need to see OP's profile but it's tough to get admitted into Singaporean universities as a black African with less than a 2.1. It's way easier to be admitted into Japanese universities even with a 2.2 compared to Singapore with exception of Imperial Universities. Education in both countries is highly competitive as Indians and Chinese compete with local Singaporeans for spaces while language differences make it easier for a foreigner to be admitted into Japanese universities.

4. Partly true in Singapore but entirely untrue in Japan. I still get job ads even while I left a top rated Japanese universities. In fact, I pity Nigerian youths because there are plentiful of jobs in Japan that no one gets to fill as there are more jobs than applicants. Prior to Covid-19, that was the reality - there were more jobs than applicants in Japan. In Singapore's case, it's understable as the country is small - economy and geographical area. With proximity to China and India and due to historical migration, an open market will negatively affect local Singaporeans. Thus, it's extremely hard but not impossible for a black African to be employed by a local firm. Preferably, black Africans should apply to MNCs or finish from a Japanese university, get into a Japanese company and get posted to Singapore.

Stop peddling fake news, you're noted for this in this section.

4 Likes

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2021
blackbriar:
[/b]

I did not see this statement earlier.
are you sure , sir?
Japan has basic health insurance for all its populace and foreign residents.
That is you can go to hospital 5 times a week, if you are bored. The Japanese government pays 70 percent of the bill why you foot the remaining 30 percent. USA does not have this. Americans living in Japan are super grateful o japan for this

Japan has a marvelous train network connecting all areas and cities of the nation. it is safe , you can work 2 am at night without worry. Thats why you see beautiful pictures of japan on the internet mostly uploaded by the same foreigners

That dude is noted for posting absurd and inane comments in this section. Thank goodness I opened Nairaland today.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2021
I was privileged to travel to Singapore about 15 years ago and that time it was visa FREE but you know Nigerians and their waywardness, they cancelled it. Sorry for digression, but Asian countries don't like n***s

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Nairalando: 3:12pm On Dec 28, 2021
kwasoly:

So you Sabi all this one you come dey ask.
Mtcheew
No be him be Op now
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 3:14pm On Dec 28, 2021
Simvan:

I have plans to study robotics after getting my bsc degree in Nigeria, and I am here to find out from those that have idea on how things go in both countries(Japan and Singapore), with regards to;
1. Cost of living.

Please if you have a better suggestions aside the two countries I gave, I am open to learning from you.

1. Japan is cheaper especially outside of the Kanto and Kansai region. If you get admitted into Kyushu or Hokkaido University, you will reside in prefectures that way affordable than Tokyo or Osaka but limited jobs though. Singapore is ridiculously expensive for a student relying on self sponsorship if you're not from a rich family.

https://www.nairaland.com/4321723/6-countries-study-top-universities

See that thread? I posted it few years ago even before graduation as I had researched everything. Did you see Singapore? Did you see Japan? I even broke it down to the naira, which has devalued yet the fees remain the same in Yen till date. Also, I don't think the Japanese government will increase the fee any time soon.

2. Since it's robotics, Japan is better. Some Singaporeans travel to Japan for certain degrees such as robotics if they don't get into American or Canadian universities. Also, although Singapore's universities (NUS and NTU) are well ranked, Japanese universities are highly ranked overall across all trio higher education ranking agencies (QS, ARWU and TheTimesHigherEducation).

3. Japan. If you don't have a high 2.1 as minimum, I really doubt you will get admitted into a university in Singapore. You can omit the Imperial Universities in Japan (Japan's equivalent of the ivy league) and still get into good schools - Kobe University, Chiba University, Yokohoma University, Nagasaki University etc. I had good grades and publications, so I got admitted into an Imperial University.

4. Japan. Ridiculously low unemployment rate (although lower salaries compared to western countries but hey, lower cost of living too. Tokyo is cheaper than New York or London yet more safer than both combined). There are jobs, just know the language as it offers more job opportunities. Please get into a national university as it is cheaper, you will be offered free Japanese language classes (tied to your graduation sef) and more job opportunities especially if it's an Imperial University.

When I'm chanced, I'll outline the entire process in getting admitted into a Japanese university and the visa application process at the Japanese embassy in Abuja (in the Japan thread on Nairaland). I'll give you a mention.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japan Or Singapore by mmsen: 3:16pm On Dec 28, 2021
Tetehjewels:

There is little or no racism in Japan. Blacks especially are welcome and treated without any discrimination in Japan and they get good paying jobs as well.

Based on their culture Japanese are very friendly people. Forget all this media nonsense.

If you are a black and you live in Japan you will realize it's safer, more peaceful for you than your own country. Even black Americans find it much safer for them than America.

Japan might be safer but it is certainly very racist.

Japan is also incredibly sexist to the point where sexual assault of women on public transport is tolerated (chikan).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 3:17pm On Dec 28, 2021
dettolgel:

If you like no listen to advice and follow person wey sabi road. Dey there dey argue e go clear you for eye.

Have you applied to a Japanese university before?
Have you been taught Japanese?
Have you obtained visa from any Japanese embassy?
Have you gotten admitted into a top Japanese university?
Do you speak Japanese?
Have you written examinations supervised by Japanese and be graded by Japanese?
Have you written Japanese before?

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by optimusprime2(m): 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2021
Simvan:

1. Cost of living.

Hi there!
Responding to your questions in order of the numbering...

1: The costs of Living in both countries are very affordable, both countries have reasonable overall costs combined with the ease of Living, but it's easier to measure these costs, when viewing the general ease of living, especially accessibility to basic public services in either bigger or smaller cities. What I basically mean, is the value of what you are paying for... Japan gets the nudge on this one because everything in Japan has outright practicality, functionality and has been simplified right down to the smallest things you wouldn't even think about.(imagine getting a built in butt massager running you good, while sitting on a public toilet, I mean who thinks of that?). The system in Japan is literally 105% functional regardless of how much you are paying for in the location or size of the city you are in. #Till today, I am not sure which country has the fastest Internet, because although tech gurus say its South Korea, however the Internet speeds in Japan are outright mental.(Those who have been to Japan can attest to this fact) So spending your money on this sort of Internet service in Japan, to me, is a different kind of investment on its own grin

2: Getting a better degree depends on the University not the country, however Japan has more higher ranked universities as compared to Singapore. To give you context, Japan has 780 National Universities while Singapore has less than 36 (when you take out Polytechnics and advanced colleges from Singapore's mix, the number drops even lower) with this massive difference, what do you think??... so once again, Japan gets the nudge on this one.

3: In Terms of acceptance, well that has to do with your overall Merit, as prestigious Universities and programs get naturally competitive especially when scholarships are involved, however if your focus is on acceptance rates, you might want to stick to a region that has more universities offering the same discipline, so that competition is spread out evenly, which will sort of increase the acceptance rate... in this situation, because Japan has more prestigious Universities, basically more universities overall and more scholarship opportunities, Japan gets the nudge on this one.

4: Now as for getting a job, that's a different ball game. Language becomes a very big deal especially in Japan. If you can't speak Japanese, then you can as well forget about working there after your degree (However the advantage of schooling in Japan is you get Japanese Language training simultaneously). But please note, according to various language institutes, Japanese is the hardest language in the world, due to the writing system, speaking logic and accents. The case is different in Singapore though, because English is spoken to a larger extent. So Singapore gets the Nudge on this one, due to the fact that English can be spoken in formal environments.

So from your questions, Japan wins on 3.

#PLEASE TAKE NOTE
when it comes to actually travelling to Singapore, please and please endeavour to find out if as a Nigerian, you are eligible to enter Singapore on certain Visas, because I recall from previous information they have something going on with allowing Nigerian passport holders in the country on certain visa's. Please do your research and findout the situation on that regard, especially if you choose Singapore eventually.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasarawa Groom Crushed To Death On His Wedding Day / Car Dives Into A Building Window After Ghastly Accident In Lagos. Photos/video / Passenger’s Bags Stolen At Lagos Airport (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.