Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Japan Or Singapore - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japan Or Singapore (22879 Views)

Japan Or South Korea / Singapore And Japan Have World's Most Powerful Passports,See Where Nigeria Is / New Advise On How To Travel To Hong Kong Or Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japan Or Singapore by grandstar(m): 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2021
Gerrard59:

It's extremely hard for a black person regardless of nationality to be a permanent resident or citizen in Singapore. Singapore nationality is tied to race and since blacks have no historical relations with Singapore, we are poorly regarded when it comes to citizenship/permanent residency in Singapore. Also, Singapore citizenship comes with letting go of the previous citizenship and this is strictly adhered to. Japan has same but there's a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. When entering Japan, use the Japanese passport and when travelling to say Nigeria, use the Nigerian passport. That way, a Nigerian can hold both passports.

Regarding being a citizen, just as I outlined in obtaining a visa as a Nigerian in Nigeria, being a naturalised citizen of Japan is way easier and straightforward than any other developed country. Any skilled person who resides and works in Japan for five consecutive years is eligible to apply to be a naturalised citizen without going through the permanent residency route. Yes, Japan is the only developed country that allows applicants to side-step permanent residency enroute naturalisation. Five consecutive years and citizenship is sure without being a permanent resident.

https://www.moj.go.jp/EN/MINJI/minji78.html#:~:text=The%20general%20conditions%20for%20naturalization,of%20the%20Japanese%20Nationality%20Act).&text=The%20person%20must%20have%20been,the%20prescribed%20period%20of%20time.

Thanks for this info. You're well informed.

I thought that because 36% of Singaporeans were permanent residents meant getting that status was easy.

I, however, acknowledge it is tied like a rock to keeping Singapore's racial balance and as you noted, Blacks aren't part of that balance.

I'm surprised at the Japanese policy. For a people who by nature are so closed could have such a liberal immigration policy.

During the American occupation of Japan after World War 2,they gave all Koreans living in Japan citizenship. The day after the Americans departed, it was revoked.

Japan's richest man, Mayasoshi Son is of Korean descent.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by udomas(m): 6:27pm On Dec 28, 2021
Cousin9999:

1. Neither is affordable.
2. Neither offers an especially competitive international education.
3. Both will gladly accept you to any uni and take your money while telling you the education is competitive.
4. Singapore is racist. There's no jobs there for you unless you're already working for a foreign firm that sends you there. Even if there were, you would be treated terribly. Japan is also racist. The only jobs available to you are English teaching and factory work. In both jobs, you likely won't be paid (or paid barely anything), will be abused, and will be in unsafe conditions. Japan also has no laws against racism. And any labor laws in Asia mean nothing. Ask any well-educated Asian in a real profession how much those labor laws mean, and watch them laugh. Asia is not Europe. It just looks the part. Don't be fooled.

� Legit points!

Focus on west Europe and North America.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Kingnonny(m): 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2021
For robotics Engineering Go to South Africa.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by prof2007: 6:54pm On Dec 28, 2021
@OP:

This is excellent advice from Cousin9999.

Take it from someone who has had first-hand experience. For quality of teaching, the best post-graduation opportunities, the most wholesome social interactions, and the greatest likelihood of eventual self-actualization, follow this order of priority:

1. Canada
2. USA
3. UK
4. France
5. Germany
6. Other Western European countries
7. Australia
8. Asian countries.

Best wishes for good success in achieving your goals.

Cousin9999:

1. Neither is affordable.
2. Neither offers an especially competitive international education.
3. Both will gladly accept you to any uni and take your money while telling you the education is competitive.
4. Singapore is racist. There's no jobs there for you unless you're already working for a foreign firm that sends you there. Even if there were, you would be treated terribly. Japan is also racist. The only jobs available to you are English teaching and factory work. In both jobs, you likely won't be paid (or paid barely anything), will be abused, and will be in unsafe conditions. Japan also has no laws against racism. And any labor laws in Asia mean nothing. Ask any well-educated Asian in a real profession how much those labor laws mean, and watch them laugh. Asia is not Europe. It just looks the part. Don't be fooled.

Focus on west Europe and North America.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by KAM3KAZI: 6:58pm On Dec 28, 2021
Elsueno:
The day I chose to ditch Nigeria. I will relocate to Japan.....I just find thier historical stuff awesome....

Screw that..

I just fuvking LOVE ANImE. SAMURAI & NIanjAs grin , plus thier language is just soo cool, Arigato guzaimasu grin

Arigato guzaimasu
Lol, I just read this in Asta's voice

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by Limassol(m): 7:09pm On Dec 28, 2021
grandstar:

Thanks for this info. You're well informed.

I thought that because 36% of Singaporeans were permanent residents meant getting that status was easy.

I, however, acknowledge it is tied like a rock to keeping Singapore's racial balancte and as you noted, Blacks aren't part of that balance.

I'm surprised at the Japanese policy. For a people who by nature are so closed could have such a liberal immigration policy.

During the American occupation of Japan after World War 2,they gave all Koreans living in Japan citizenship. The day after the Americans departed, it was revoked.

Japan's richest man, Mayasoshi Son is of Korean descent.
The notion blacks are at a disadvantage in terms of obtaining singaporean citizenship is barely true, and lacks evidence. It's all about meeting the requirements - skin colour has little, if any, to do with that. Prove me wrong with facts please.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by wealthgoddess: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2021
grandstar:

Singapore is a city state.

This one weak me
Bros...go back to school.
Besides Japan is a country with many cities and I was referring to that too

Re: Japan Or Singapore by bretsteve: 7:38pm On Dec 28, 2021
Elsueno:
The day I chose to ditch Nigeria. I will relocate to Japan.....I just find thier historical stuff awesome....

Screw that..

I just fuvking LOVE ANImE. SAMURAI & NIanjAs grin , plus thier language is just soo cool, Arigato guzaimasu grin
Anime filler is my favorite. I watch all episodes and I'm reading this on https://animefillerlist.net/, which is an entertainment platform.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Cousin9999: 7:46pm On Dec 28, 2021
Another reason these people like to feed you lies about Asia is because they want a fresh supply of people to exploit. When people find themselves in those countries with limited options, it plays out in a number of ways that benefits bottom feeders:

- Person has no money to return.
- Person thinks they "made it" just by staying abroad regardless of the circumstances.
- Person can't find any work, or any decent work.
- Person is ashamed of the bad situation and doesn't want to go back.
- Person sold off everything to travel, and they don't think they can return and do much of anything.

This is one of the reasons you keep seeing stories about drūg mules.

Asia is not Europe.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by rimijoshua(m): 7:46pm On Dec 28, 2021
South Korea is better.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:47pm On Dec 28, 2021
prof2007:
@OP:

This is excellent advice from Cousin9999.

Take it from someone who has had first-hand experience. For quality of teaching, the best post-graduation opportunities, the most wholesome social interactions, and the greatest likelihood of eventual self-actualization, follow this order of priority:

1. Canada
2. USA
3. UK
4. France
5. Germany
6. Other Western European countries
7. Australia
8. Asian countries.

Best wishes for good success in achieving your goals.

Could you help with Germany advantages. Canada seem like it’s the hottest now for us… how visible
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Cousin9999: 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2021
rimijoshua:
South Korea is better.

No. No it's not.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by grandstar(m): 9:20pm On Dec 28, 2021
Limassol:
The notion blacks are at a disadvantage in terms of obtaining singaporean citizenship is barely true, and lacks evidence. It's all about meeting the requirements - skin colour has little, if any, to do with that. Prove me wrong with facts please.

Tell me more. I am open to learning.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Limassol(m): 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2021
grandstar:

Tell me more. I am open to learning.
My Brother, whatever information you seek, the internet is there for you. By the way, i just feel to debunk some half-truths, so others won't be misinformed.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by sulaak(m): 10:37pm On Dec 28, 2021
Simvan:
Please try and ignore my punctuation errors.

I have plans to study robotics after getting my bsc degree in Nigeria, and I am here to find out from those that have idea on how things go in both countries(Japan and Singapore), with regards to;
1. Cost of living.
2. Where can I get a better degree.
3. My chance of being accepted in their university.
4. My chance of getting a job after graduating.

Please if you have a better suggestions aside the two countries I gave, I am open to learning from you.

I will go to Japan to get a good robotic degree and learn the language a second language will improve your career prospect in Europe and USA
Re: Japan Or Singapore by ocelot2006(m): 10:43pm On Dec 28, 2021
In my opinion, I think your best bet is Japan. The country's dwindling population MAY work to your advantage compared to Singapore.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 10:59pm On Dec 28, 2021
segtech68:
i have lived server years in both , tell me one asian country that gives citizenship to a black man even when you marry one of them , you are still on your own, lets start from their, this is not arguement

For goodness sake, there are MANY Nigerians in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Hokkaido who married Japanese women and are naturalised citizens. Same in Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand etc. In Japan, as a foreign man regardless of your race or nationality, you get a spousal visa when married to a Japanese woman. Three years after, you become a permanent resident and two more years, a naturalised citizen. Besides, I don't know why you are entitled as a black African esp as a Nigerian to another country's citizenship simply because you married a native.

When I keep preaching that you people should mind the route of migration to your desired country, e get why.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2021
moonraker:

Incorrect!!!

You need a minimum of 10 years to get PR, unless ofcourse you go the married to a Japanese national route and that is debatable.

If he finishes his MSc and opts for the Highly Skilled Visa route, he gets it shortened to 3 years with 70 points and a year with 80 points. It is not a black or white situation.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 12:48am On Dec 29, 2021
Limassol:

Please list the percentage of blacks who are naturalised citizens of Singapore.

I find the bold funny. While it is a straightforward process, it cannot be compared to Japan's as the Singaporean government considers many factors before assigning citizenship to a foreigner - race, religion, income status, present country of origin, intellectual achievements etc. Again, I reiterate it is extremely hard for a black person to be a naturalised Singaporean.

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/entertainment/africans-in-singapore-being-black-ayer-hitam-fringe-festival-221831
https://www.gov.sg/article/what-are-the-racial-proportions-among-singapore-citizens (This is a place you think blacks can just get issued citizenship anyhow?)
https://www.ricemedia.co/culture-people-african-singaporeans-prs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/iwcepm/is_it_easy_to_get_citizenship_in_singapore/
https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/k74lw4/citizenship/ (A South Korean, fellow Asian, who has difficulties being a naturalised Singaporean but you believe it is way easier for a black person?)
Re: Japan Or Singapore by unclemaths(m): 2:12am On Dec 29, 2021
Simvan:
Please try and ignore my punctuation errors.

I have plans to study robotics after getting my bsc degree in Nigeria, and I am here to find out from those that have idea on how things go in both countries(Japan and Singapore).

Have you also considered Malaysia? They are coming up in many areas..
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Winner074488: 3:15am On Dec 29, 2021
Bruv,
If you have the means, why not consider Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US.
It is the best school for courses like Robotics.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by TolaniLuv: 3:20am On Dec 29, 2021
mmsen:

Japan might be safer but it is certainly very racist.

Japan is also incredibly sexist to the point where sexual assault of women on public transport is tolerated (chikan).

Both of you guys are right! Japan is safe to a point that if you lost your wallet or phone there is 99% sure you will get it back unlike Nigeria 99% you won’t get it back see the difference.

Most of them are Buddhist and they strongly believe in Karma.

Living in japan has it own claws too! Racism in japan is far more better than the western countries. Even it’s better than the hate we have for each other in Nigerian wishing your brother evil or bad.

OPs. I will suggest you pick Japan because Indonesia are here studying same thing you are goin there to do. Never been there , but, I lived in Japan and I can tell you . Japan is not an individual country! They treat people base on your nationality. Very expensive also, you can get job easily if you can speak somewhat Japanese!

You will learn a lot from here than in Singapore.

Bad point of japan is they are friendly but not really welcoming.

They are racist but not to blacks! They won’t even confront you or stop u from taking bus or taxi or anything like that.

Our culture is totally different from theirs only that will give someone new depression in the first month.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by segtech68: 6:17am On Dec 29, 2021
I'm not proud to accept and learn new things. thanks, but to be sincere i've never been to Japan, but after visiting many other asian countries, i just couldn't help but conclude that every asian are racist.
Gerrard59:

For goodness sake, there are MANY Nigerians in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Hokkaido who married Japanese women and are naturalised citizens. Same in Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand etc. In Japan, as a foreign man regardless of your race or nationality, you get a spousal visa when married to a Japanese woman. Three years after, you become a permanent resident and two more years, a naturalised citizen. Besides, I don't know why you are entitled as a black African esp as a Nigerian to another country's citizenship simply because you married a native.

When I keep preaching that you people should mind the route of migration to your desired country, e get why.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Savagecontents: 6:47am On Dec 29, 2021
shawante:

Have you crossed the border in your town before.. And it's border not boarder
Olodo..
So why do you bother ?
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Limassol(m): 8:12am On Dec 29, 2021
Panderning to random half-truths does no one no good. OP do not listen to people here spreading misinformation about Singapore. In truth it's a decent country, and as a black person you are unlikely to be discriminated, whether by the goverment or it's people(sure you may come across few a*holes, but they don't represent Singapore as a country) . There are thousands of black expatriates(scientists,academics etc), long-term residents and citizens. Even a black lawmaker (mak pee she) and a prolific footballer( Itimi Dickson) who is of Nigerian descent. However, due to the relatively low numbers of blacks in the country, many Singaporeans are not used to blacks, thus you may be starred in the street, bus or at supermarket. Some may even go as far as touching your hair or taking your picture without your consent, yet that dosen't mean they are racists, far from that, that's curiousity if you ask me. Again, like i stated earlier, you can become a citizen of the country so long as you fulfill the requirements.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Cousin9999: 8:18am On Dec 29, 2021
It's messed up when people suggest learning the language will somehow transform a racist country into a welcoming one. The only thing you'll get from that is more racism. Just about everyone who bothers to learn their languages regrets it. The only thing it does is give them a window into just how racist, sexist, and backwards those people are. It's not even just the racism. People are appalled by how they talk about their women and children.

And knowing their language won't grant you any new rights in their country. It won't even get you much elsewhere. If they want a translator or interpreter, they want native speakers, and there's no shortage of that.

The one benefit you get is in setting up a trading business. Even then, these racists are not about to let you stroll in and set up a lucrative business. Unless you really know what you're doing and have the resources, it won't be sweet. And even large companies are put in bad situations trying to operate in the region.

The difference in results in Asia versus learning the languages of business in north America and west Europe are night and day. It's a joke to even compare.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Cousin9999: 8:32am On Dec 29, 2021
There's also another layer to why some people rave about a place like Japan: self-hate and people who cannot recognize racism.

1 Like

Re: Japan Or Singapore by gboyetade: 8:38am On Dec 29, 2021
I disagree

peppermint7:

Anybody wer support hitler for this life na evil person
Tueh
Re: Japan Or Singapore by peppermint7(m): 8:57am On Dec 29, 2021
gboyetade:
I disagree

You are evil
Case closed
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Gerrard59(m): 2:31pm On Dec 29, 2021
Limassol:
Panderning to random half-truths does no one no good. OP do not listen to people here spreading misinformation about Singapore. In truth it's a decent country, and as a black person you are unlikely to be discriminated, whether by the goverment or it's people(sure you may come across few a*holes, but they don't represent Singapore as a country) . There are thousands of black expatriates(scientists,academics etc), long-term residents and citizens. Even a black lawmaker (mak pee she) and a prolific footballer( Itimi Dickson) who is of Nigerian descent. However, due to the relatively low numbers of blacks in the country, many Singaporeans are not used to blacks, thus you may be starred in the street, bus or at supermarket. Some may even go as far as touching your hair or taking your picture without your consent, yet that dosen't mean they are racists, far from that, that's curiousity if you ask me. Again, like i stated earlier, you can become a citizen of the country so long as you fulfill the requirements.

Quote me directly, I'll not beat you.

Tell me what misinformation I've posted about Singapore vis-a-vis Japan?

Yes, there are a few thousands of black professionals, students, long term residents and very very few citizens in Singapore but compared to Japan? There are so few. There are over 3000 Nigerians alone in Japan, this excludes other black Africans, blacks with European citizenship and African Americans.

Stop posting fake news! There's no lawmaker with that name in Singapore (the name does not bring up anything useful on Google sef) and no black Singaporean is a lawmaker whatsoever! It has never happened in the history of Singapore. Any black person who is a lawmaker in Singapore will make worldwide news and acclaim. Even the Malian president (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/world/asia/japan-african-university-president-sacko.html) who is a university's president made lighter global acclaim, it's you saying there's a black lawmaker in Singapore?! Fake news!!!!

As for Itimi Dickson, he was given Singaporean citizenship because the government then wanted to win laurels in global sporting competitions. Other nationals were given regardless of race but that changed after local Singaporeans got pissed off with an increased population, rising cost of living, competing with foreigners for good jobs, train breakdown etc. What broke the camel's back was the White Paper by the Singaporean government to increase the population to 10M (Google it, useful information will come out compared to your nonexistent lawmaker) which got citizens angry and a protest happened at Hong Lim's Park (first time in a long time protest happened in modern day Singapore). Ever since, becoming a permanent resident and/or citizen has been extremely hard especially for people whose racial groups aren't included in Singapore (check the links I posted earlier). You're writing false information to someone who has followed Singaporean news for close to a decade, written and published about her politics, comments on the Facebook pages of Singaporean news outlets, follows Singaporean politicians across social media channels, bought books written by Lee Kuan Yew, applied to universities in Singapore etc. In fact, if there is an exam to be written by foreigners about issues in Singapore, I will ace it effortlessly!

Again, I didn't state that it's impossible for a black person regardless of nationality to be a naturalised citizen of Singapore but it's extremely hard for such to happen. I've posted links including a government website to buttress my stance. On the other hand, you have posted mendacious information about blacks in Singapore and put up a false hope of blacks being citizens in Singapore. Also, like OP stated, he wants clear and accurate information about schooling in either country and as a black African especially Nigerian, I'll forever die on the hill that says Japan is way better than Singapore for a self sponsored black African.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Exceed15: 5:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
Gerrard59:

He mis-educated you, trust me.

I learnt something. Na me know. Thanks all the same.
Re: Japan Or Singapore by Limassol(m): 5:45pm On Dec 29, 2021
Gerrard59 thanks for the details. By the way, i'm not sure i care about your academic endeavours, not in the slightest, so give it a rest. However, Mak Pak Shee was a leader of the Singaporean-based labour party, after his resigning, he became a junior minister in the cabinet. There is a reason Lee Kwan Yew once called him "fixer". Show some humility, read and educate your little self man! Have a nice day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasarawa Groom Crushed To Death On His Wedding Day / Car Dives Into A Building Window After Ghastly Accident In Lagos. Photos/video / Passenger’s Bags Stolen At Lagos Airport (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.