Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing (20328 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Again; As Filling Stations Shut Down / Enugu Residents Cannot Bath Due To Water Scarcity: Pictures / Water Scarcity In Enugu: Long Queues Sighted In Most Parts Of The State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by ryloy: 2:44pm On Dec 29, 2021
Chukwuma Oji, a resident of Ogui New Layout and teacher in one of the schools in the Enugu metropolis now goes to big hotels and banks every day to answer nature’s call because of unavailability of water in his neighbourhood to clean toilets in his apartment.

Oji now takes his bath once in three days because he could no longer afford N400 everyday to buy two bags of sachet water at N200 per bag for his daily bathing.

Indeed, water scarcity has been a major social problem in Enugu State, especially the Enugu metropolis, over the years.

According to Orji, for the past two months or thereabouts, the state water corporation has not supplied water to the area, adding that wells which he and other residents of the area rely on for alternative water supply have dried up because of the dry season the state is witnessing currently

In two weeks, we have had no water and since then I have been hoping that the tap will rush. Before, if there was no tap water, I used to buy water from a well for N15 to bathe and flush the toilet but wells have dried up and wells that have water, before it gets to your turn, you will spend about two to three hours to fetch a gallon or two. Now since last week, that well has not been opened for the public. It is now restricted to the owners because the water in the well has gone down drastically.”

Narrating how excruciating to source water for his domestic use, he said, “Now, other people that have well have increased the price of a gallon to N50 and the queue there equally is troubling, and before you know it after about 50 gallons have been fetched, it will finish and you won’t get water from it until the following day and if you didn’t get there before 5:30 am, you wouldn’t get water. Now I didn’t have a big tank that I could buy water from.

https://punchng.com/enugu-residents-battle-water-scarcity-again-buy-sachet-water-for-bathing/

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by BeingCamping: 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2021
And so what?

99% of the people living in Enugu are billionaires so they can afford to use pure water to bathe.

All these useless Afonja media that will be carrying news al around. Who send you?

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by majamajic(m): 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2021
Enugu , few city in nigeria that still use water from water authority ,pipe bore water . U pay water bill

Many nigerians never see water bills from state government

44 Likes

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by smartasuen(m): 2:50pm On Dec 29, 2021
Can't the very affluent men and women there team up to do boreholes on every street?
I mean, how much will it cost them........

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Ezewuzie01: 2:53pm On Dec 29, 2021
It is a big shame on Enugu the capital of eastern region for a long time and designated capital of Biafra that it doesn't have ordinary water that many towns and villages in other states take for granted. A friend told me that people in Enugu hardly take their baths, they just spray perfume to cover up.

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Reality3080: 3:03pm On Dec 29, 2021
This is pure propaganda from amala ewedu media,everyone in enugu is a billionaire n each house have a minimum of 2 borehole so it's impossible

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Golan007: 3:12pm On Dec 29, 2021
I thought Enugu was in God's hands.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by BigSarah(f): 3:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Too bad
Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by ryloy: 3:20pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ezewuzie01:
It is a big shame on Enugu the capital of eastern region for a long time and designated capital of Biafra that it doesn't have ordinary water that many towns and villages in other states take for granted. A friend told me that people in Enugu hardly take their baths, they just spray perfume to cover up.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Figger(m): 3:33pm On Dec 29, 2021
smartasuen:
Can't the very affluent men and women there team up to do boreholes on every street?
the thing tire me oh, I've lived in Enugu before and I can categorically tell u that water is thier biggest challenge there. I kept wondering if it's impossible to dig borehole there.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2021
smartasuen:

Figger:
the thing tire me oh, I've lived in Enugu before and I can categorically tell u that water is thier biggest challenge there. I kept wondering if it's impossible to dig borehole there.

Topography of the area determines the accessibility of water via borehole.

A former Head of Geology Department, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Professor Smart Obioara, also aligned with both Udeogu and Ndukwe’s position. He confirmed that the geology of a particular area must be considered before a borehole drilling process commences. According to him, Enugu generally is a very bad place to drill for water and you can hardly find the rocks that can store water, although people have been making efforts and drilling wells.

“If you don’t have the necessary rock, what is called an aquifer, which can contain and also be able to release water in abundance, it will be hard. If you are not within the water table, the hope of getting water is slim and even if you do, it will dry up easily,” he explained.

Aquifer refers to when a water-bearing rock readily transmits water to wells and springs. The rate of recharge is not the same for all aquifers, and that must be considered when pumping water from a well.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Sunday2021: 3:47pm On Dec 29, 2021
Tomorrow this people will start blaming Buhari as if they don't have a governor.
Ordinary water, you cannot provide and you have the guts to be sponsoring a terrorist organization (ipob) to distabilize the country.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Sunday2021: 3:49pm On Dec 29, 2021
In nairaland they will be claiming billionaires, but in reality they are as poor as church rat.

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by cool318(m): 3:53pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

Topography of the area determines the accessibility of water via borehole.

“If you don’t have the necessary rock, what is called an aquifer, which can contain and also be able to release water in abundance, it will be hard. If you are not within the water table, the hope of getting water is slim and even if you do, it will dry up easily,” he explained.

You summarized it all. In addition, even when the water table is found, to drill a borehole in that location is almost up to 2-3 million .
Cost of drill bits ( tens of it will be used), lengths of pipes etc.

You find out that an average person can't spend that much for erecting a borehole In Enugu.
A soil that doesn't have sand, natural chippings all through grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by In4matic: 4:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Reminds me of the day I drove through Enugu and encountered engine overheating.

I took a keg intending to fetch water from nearby houses/shops/filling stations.

Omo, the way they were looking at me like I was asking for some precious stone baffled me!

Like play, I couldn't get water anywhere, i had to drive it like that till I got to a supermarket and bought bottles of water to fill the radiator.

I got to appreciate my Niger Delta where water can never be a commodity hoarded by anyone...

And they come online to chest beat all the time .

75 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by helinues: 4:19pm On Dec 29, 2021
Na tradition in Enugu.

Enugu is indeed in God's hand

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by helinues: 4:21pm On Dec 29, 2021
cool318:

You summarized it all. In addition, even when the water table is found, to drill a borehole in that location is almost up to 2-3 million .

You find out that an average person can't spend that much for erecting a borehole In Enugu.

You guys like giving excuse Sha.

Dubai is a desert yet they don't have water problem.

Water is essential, no matter how much it might cost, if the political leaders are really ready to fix it, they can

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by blamingthedevil: 4:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
cool318:

You are making excuses for government. If 1000 public boreholes are done every year since Independence, will that not have aleviated the sufferings of the masses?

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 4:25pm On Dec 29, 2021
helinues:

You guys like giving excuse Sha.

Dubai is a desert yet they don't have water problem.

Water is essential, no matter how much it might cost, if the political leaders are really ready to fix it, they can

blamingthedevil:

You are making excuses for government. If 1000 public boreholes are done every year since Independence, will that not have aleviated the sufferings of the masses?

He said 'the average person'. Where did you see government in his comment? He only said the average man can't solve such problem

Comprehension 101.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by blamingthedevil: 4:29pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

He said 'the average person'. Where did you see government in his comment? He only said the average man can't solve such problem

Comprehension 101.
You are still making excuses. Water supply anywhere in the world is a public good that is provided, protected and provisioned by government. It is never a private matter .

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by helinues: 4:33pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

Comprehension 101.

Good water provision should be sole responsible of government or?

Why can't he talk about the government that have failed instead of using individual as an excuse?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2021
blamingthedevil:

You are still making excuses. Water supply anywhere in the world is a public good that is provided, protected and provisioned by government. It is never a private matter .
Either comprehension is hard for you or you are deliberately ignorant.

Where did I say government should not provide water?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 29, 2021
See billionaires Street cheesy Common water e no dey. Emeka make we run away to Lagos o grin

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 4:37pm On Dec 29, 2021
helinues:

Good water provision should be sole responsible of government or?

Why can't he talk about the government that have failed instead of using individual as excuse?

Why can't you talk yours and leave his? He is not responsible for your lack of comprehension. Do you know the meaning of excuse?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by helinues: 4:41pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

Why can't you talk yours and leave his? He is not responsible for your lack of comprehension. Do you know the meaning of excuse?

If you like, carry the goal post from Umu Eri junction to Izebala drive, bottom line, water no dey Enugu.. Which have been like that for decades

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by blamingthedevil: 4:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

Either comprehension is hard for you or you are deliberately ignorant.

Where did I say government should not provide water?

So , where did I mention that private individuals cannot provide water for themselves, which they have been doing for centuries?

Why are you contradicting yourself?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by CannibalTorment: 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2021
Na today

13 Likes

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 4:49pm On Dec 29, 2021
blamingthedevil:

So , where did I mention that private individuals cannot provide water for themselves, which they have been doing for centuries?

Why are you contradicting yourself?

1- Upgrade your comprehension skills!!!

2. Memory loss is also a problem!!!

Screenshot attached where you said ' It is never a private matter'

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by jmoore(m): 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2021
helinues:

If you like, carry the goal post from Umu Eri junction to Izebala drive, bottom line, water no dey Enugu.. Which have been like that for decades

Subtle way of admitting that you dey misyarn. You and blamingthedevil should attend comprehension lessons.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by helinues: 4:54pm On Dec 29, 2021
jmoore:

Subtle way of admitting that you dey misyarn. You and blamingthedevil should attend comprehension lessons.

I heard you just got an admission into Goal Shifting Academy

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 29, 2021
Enugu metropolis is underlain by shale which is an aquitard, and borehole instability might be another issue due to the shaly nature of the subsurface. Running a geophysical survey before drilling, will definitely yield a good outcome on where to drill and depth to drill to. But the problem with the people is that they don't believe in spending money. I know a hotel worth millions, but there's no borehole, they buy water to refill. Drill borehole..mba.

Unlike Northern politicians that commission water projects for their people in cities, towns and villages..an average Eastern politician would prefer to carry some big booty bitch than do such.

Igbos ain't really smart.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Enugu Residents Battle Water Scarcity Again, Buy Sachet Water For Bathing by dasparrow: 5:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
Too much needless suffering in Nigeria. What an unfortunate and poorly run country!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kaduna: Gridlock As Crowd Awaits Atiku’s Arrival (Video/Pictures) / Omisore - I Lost Osun Election To Partisan Acts Of Ex-REC Commissioner / Why Were Saraki, Oyegun, Dogara Absent At Tinubu's Colloquium?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.