Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34485 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
Aidejay:
@OP sorry for your loss, to answer your question.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP? - Your money can't be wiped off without OTP it's either the thief's found a way to get the otp by rerouting the destination of the otp message or someone gained access to your brothers phone and copied the otp when it was sent.

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe. - You can't blame the bank. you guys were meant to block the card immediately. infact a call to customer care line would have done that.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother.
- Yes but it will require patience and you will have to be comfortable with the idea that the money is forever gone.

once again sowwie!!!

for people who like history check this out - https://www.nairaland.com/6940016/these-unexplored-historical-photos-remarkable
not all online payment platforms require OTP. EBay for example and most international online stores do not require OTP.
They can simply use it to shop on such sites and sell the items.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by faste: 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii
Dpo..Hmn!!
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by dictbennie(m): 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry

Tell your brother to go to his bank to log a fraud chargeback. He could get his money back.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
What about GTB that will debit 10 to 50naira from my account balance without sending SMS?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by OlujobaSamuel: 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
don4real18:

Actually, in Nigeria, every transaction needs an OTP if you are not making use of token.
Me too dey surprised ooo, I'm aware that all Nigerian issued cards require otp for online transaction, except probably you have registered the card once on that site before which can make the transaction more like an auto renewal.
I once misplaced my zenith card, i was getting otp on it and I wasn't bothered till I needed the fund in the account and I transferred to my other account.
I guess the otp was reroute to another line or email through the help of an insider (bank). Except for the bank that you register your bvn, no other bank can alter your information.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by micflo28(m): 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
That card was stolen by someone who knows you. He may have taken it to a pos agent that you used the card to retrieve your pin and details to wipe out your account.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by ford101: 12:20pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii
of recent I noticed that I can't do more than 100,000naira on my account in a day outside the banking hall.be it ATM or pos or anything.i can't do more than 100k.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by higgs: 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2022
You lost your brother's ATM card? You are the prime suspect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by faste: 12:22pm On Jan 15, 2022
flexyrule:
More like an insider job.

Not accusing any of your family members though... But card withdrawal will require at least 1 form of authentication (either OTP, PIN or any secure code)
Fraudsters use his card details to shop online from sites that don't require Otp..there are many of them online..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by faste: 12:25pm On Jan 15, 2022
doggedfighter:
So anyone can easily lay hands on another

person's ATM and withdraw without knowing the pin?

Exactly ,know this and have peace,spread the message, many out there don't know.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Calibrator: 12:25pm On Jan 15, 2022
"Beating and oppressing innocent civilians"

You just have to add that cheesy
SportsHD:
I'm glad I use union bank. Shit has more than 4fa auth. You need to add a website to your list of authorized websites for online purchases before that card can be used on the website.
The only good thing about buhari though.

I'm sorry about your brother, I think he should be careful next time. And, when you lose your sim or your debit card, you should try and block the money transfer channels or retrieve them as soon as possible so you won't fall bait to these scammers.

Bvn and ATM scammers should be castrated.

Person go serve his fatherland, all the standing in the sun, standing guard overnight, beating and oppressing innocent civilians, only to have your money wiped from your account.

Tragic, just tragic.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Calicoe: 12:25pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
His email address, remember otp goes to the email address too

Are you saying the person has his email address and password? This mata don dey fear me I swear
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Bigfish121(m): 12:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
You can link a bank card to your PayPal account and use it to make a purchase without OTP.just be very careful with your bank cards.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by 2kurupt(m): 12:26pm On Jan 15, 2022
See laxity, both of you were careless. No need to be dumbfounded, they likely used the lost card to make purchases in an e-commerce site.

Check the alerts very well, if you can trace the online store they shopped on then send them an email to stop the shipping of the items, that's it's a stolen card. If you act fast enough, the store will do so & reverse the transaction

@Desammyst

7 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by 2kurupt(m): 12:36pm On Jan 15, 2022
chyzoo4u:

This doesn't make sense. He said he lost ATM card only, not ATM card with phone or email login details.

You obviously don't know how these stuff work, and this mindset is what make these so-called yahoo boys feel they're smart.

Here's my advise for you, never expose the numbers on your ATM to anybody for your own good. With those 3 set of numbers on the card, not all transactions will demand for OTP.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobleou(m): 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2022
[quote author=SportsHD post=109388021]I'm glad I use union bank. Shit has more than 4fa auth. You need to add a website to your list of authorized websites for online purchases before that card can be used on the website.
The only good thing about buhari though.

I'm sorry about your brother, I think he should be careful next time. And, when you lose your sim or your debit card, you should try and block the money transfer channels or retrieve them as soon as possible so you won't fall bait to these scammers.

Bvn and ATM scammers should be castrated.

Person go serve his fatherland, all the standing in the sun, standing guard overnight, beating and oppressing innocent civilians, only to have your money wiped from your account.

Union bank is d worst in terms of defrauding. I operate Union bank too
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Femeto: 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

They probably guessed the OTP for the transaction or used AI to generate the code. The money is gone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 15, 2022
Scratch a number each from you debit card ccv,and dob.
Even in a developed country whether you are careless with you debit card or not,if your money is stolen the police will track the suspect and get him arrested.e.g hushpuppy.Why do we put our money in the bank when it is not safe?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by 2kurupt(m): 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2022
doggedfighter:
So anyone can easily lay hands on another

person's ATM and withdraw without knowing the pin?
Surprised right? This is why you shouldn't patronise just any POS guys you see. Stick to just 1or 2 so when kasala burst you'll know where to look.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2022
Going through the comments, no one has said anything about the 4 digit secret pin that will be needed for transactions on the card. Am I missing something please?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by kayusely70(m): 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2022
don4real18:

Actually, in Nigeria, every transaction needs an OTP if you are not making use of token.
What is token and what does it do?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Kobicove(m): 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

Hmm... This is another angle. I will ask him if he used his email address when filling out the form.
But is there a way the money can be retrieved?

I'm sure the fraud was done with the connivance of a corrupt bank official
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by funshint(m): 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe
Some foreign websites don't request for OTP. Experienced this with Universal music website.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by aminusodiq(m): 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
baralatie:

Huh?
yes... No otp or atm pin needed on most international online shopping sites
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 12:47pm On Jan 15, 2022
Femeto:
They probably guessed the OTP for the transaction or used AI to generate the code. The money is gone.
Guessing the six or eight digits OTP successfully is highly improbable, if not impossible. But what about the four digit secret pin required for transactions on that card? Can that be bypassed?

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by chubarubah(m): 12:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

It looks like a foreign/internataional online transaction

Otp does not go to email address
You can as well receive otp through your email address
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 12:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
Every ATM card has a secret four digit pin required for transactions, and not inscribed on the card as the other details (except the card owner foolishly choses to do so themselves). Is it possible to bypass that?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by chyzoo4u(m): 12:57pm On Jan 15, 2022
2kurupt:

You obviously don't know how these stuff work, and this mindset is what make these so-called yahoo boys feel they're smart.

Here's my advise for you, never expose the numbers on your ATM to anybody for your own good. With those 3 set of numbers on the card, not all transactions will demand for OTP.

Good to know that you obviously know how these things works...

Can you elaborate more what concerns CV.V and email?

You said the tokens may have been gotten from his email. Now, you've jumped to the 3 numbers at the back of the card. Can you tell me how one can have access to another person's email just by having his ATM card?

You've already started attacking mindset, as if you know 0.001% of what I know in IT.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tecno66: 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

This is serious embarassed, but then he received it 5times. What could have gone wrong?
Each attempt they make, an otp was requested. So, for 5 failed attempts, 5 otps was requested. These are the same guys accusing government of corruption.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by motionarena: 1:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

It looks like a foreign/internataional online transaction

Otp does not go to email address
some do my GT goes to both phone and email
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Comedian2019: 1:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

Sue the bank. You'll get your money back.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by 2kurupt(m): 1:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
chyzoo4u:

Good to know that you obviously know how these things works...

Can you elaborate more what concerns CV.V and email?

You said the tokens may have been gotten from his email. Now, you've jumped to the 3 numbers at the back of the card. Can you tell me how one can have access to another person's email just by having his ATM card?

You've already started attacking mindset, as if you know 0.001% of what I know in IT.

Email what? Someone else said OTP was maybe sent to his email, not me.

There's no need for arguments, these are general knowledge for tech savvy folks. Most international e-commerce websites only need your ATM number, DOB & the CV.V to conclude a transaction. End of story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Efe Ejere, Chief Operating Officer, Grand Cubana Hotel Celebrates Birthday / Naira Plunges To N575 To A Dollar Two Days After Aboki FX Update Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.