Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34468 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Codeye(m): 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2022
Emmerlee:
The safest thing to do next time is to block the stolen card completely. It is both careless and unwise not to do so. For instance there are actually a lot of sites where you can shop with your card successfully without token. Let's take these little safety measures serious.
I'm sorry I don't believe that, if it's true list some of those websites let confirm because truth be told I don't believe that it possible
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Reference(m): 1:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
I may be entirely wrong.
But why do I have this feeling that this post is just a fishing expedition for information about loopholes in various systems.
Sometimes the knowledge and experiences shared in some conversations will end up hurting more people than intended.
Its a double edged sword.
The best way to respond will be to omit specific brand names and institutions and just be generic with information.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Codeye(m): 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
mosaicafrique:
It was used to shop online, cards have Security and Date of birth on them. Once you input, shopping is successful. Don’t even blame the bank because it’s simply your fault. You should have reported to the bank on behalf of your brother.
List some of those websites if it's true
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by TruthUntold: 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2022
WickedPisa:
Polaris na bank?
No, na warehouse where people go to stash their money. Hm!
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Codeye(m): 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2022
aminusodiq:
yes... Buying goods online dosent require otp or atm pin... Just the card details and you have your goods
Which websites ?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Codeye(m): 1:23pm On Jan 15, 2022
Dragunz:

Oga shutup, gimme your card details if I no empty am without any fucking otp.

You better wise up, OTP my ass.

Bro can you list some of those websites?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Oyolohi24: 1:25pm On Jan 15, 2022
Such reversal has never happened in any bank. Ask. He made it even worse for not reporting early or at all. That cash is gone. Very painful dear
Desammyst:

Hmm... This is another angle. I will ask him if he used his email address when filling out the form.
But is there a way the money can be retrieved?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 1:28pm On Jan 15, 2022
Reference:
I may be entirely wrong.
But why do I have this feeling that this post is just a fishing expedition for information about loopholes in various systems.
Sometimes the knowledge and experiences shared in some conversations will end up hurting more people than intended.
Its a double edged sword.
The best way to respond will be to omit specific brand names and institutions and just be generic with information.
You are perfectly right as i can already see some people are asking for specific websites. Truly a double-edged sword!
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Integrafamoo: 1:33pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry
They might check his year of birth on Facebook and used it to guess his pin. It could be used to shop online without otp. Etc
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by ufotunang: 1:33pm On Jan 15, 2022
When the ATM card was lost ...why did you not blocked the account ...
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by BigYash: 1:36pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii
That kind police catch yahoo boy. D yahoo boy own don finish be that grin
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by engrzico(m): 1:38pm On Jan 15, 2022
OP According to your statement, your brother lost his ATM when he was at home, and the unauthorized transaction occured when he came back home. The perpetrator ofthis act is likely within.

Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Ooe33: 1:41pm On Jan 15, 2022
U are my number one suspect.
The fact that I waited till ur brother came back was the telling factor
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 1:44pm On Jan 15, 2022
engrzico:
OP According to your statement, your brother lost his ATM when he was at home, and the unauthorized transaction occured when he came back home. The perpetrator ofthis act is likely within.

Most likely scenario. Someone very close had access to that phone and retrieved the otp to complete the transactions, which explains why there was no transaction while he was far away on duty. Someone who knows the atm card pin
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by aminusodiq(m): 1:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
Codeye:

Which websites ?
DYR.

I WON'T TELL YOU COS I'D BE AIDING FRAUD

Clue- it's a very popular website

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Rhectz(m): 1:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.

International online payment platforms like the ones used by Alli Express and WordPress does not require OTP. Just your debit card details

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Rhectz(m): 1:47pm On Jan 15, 2022
Codeye:

Bro can you list some of those websites?

WordPress, Ali Express, Julingo etc

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by CELEBRITIZ(m): 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
RichDad1:

No. Most banks do send otp to emails anymore.

Don't say what you ain't sure. J receive otp via email tool. The scenario is Simple . International transaction Don't require otp
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by engrzico(m): 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
Fraud can be carried out on your account through your debit card once you compromise your details which may not include your PIN.

My advice is to have an account that is not linked to online Banking and ATM card strictly for savings.

If you must use online banking, ensure you go to your bank and make sure you are guided through the onboarding process from start to finish, including transfer limit enhancement.

Never disclose sensitive details like PIN, C-V-V, card PAN numbers, OTP, your BVN, phone number or account number to anyone, physically over the phone or chat's etc. Only shop from credible websites. If possible link and pay with your cards through Google pay or PayPal.

For the debit cards, keep your card safe, if you have no business shopping online, I'll advice you to wipe out the C-V-V numbers behind your card and some PAN numbers in front of the card. Note this will give you protection against fraudsters that copy card details only.

If you really want to be safe while using your card, get debit cards from bank's that give you options of blocking and unblocking your card like UNION BANK and others. That way you only unblock your card from your mobile app when you want to withdraw or do online shopping after which you block your card. Note, this feature is different from destroying the card. It's like an on and of switch for card security.

Finally pray that people close to you or people you trust don't sabotage your finances cos that's the highest number of culprits responsible for these crime's. Husbands, wives, sons, daughters, house helps, relations boyfriends and girlfriends etc. Na dem ohh.

Please be safe out there. Oluwa go protect us as we dey try protect ourselves.

Peace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
aminusodiq:
DYR.

I WON'T TELL YOU COS I'D BE AIDING FRAUD

Clue- it's a very popular website
The way the fellow has been asking for websites sounds like someone who's money heist is being frustrated by OTP
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by seagulsntrawler: 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
Integrafamoo:

They might check his year of birth on Facebook and used it to guess his pin. It could be used to shop online without otp. Etc
Very true! Most people use their date of birth as their PIN code, making it easy for the ATM card thieves to access their account. With the ATM card in their custody for that lengthy period of time, all they need do is try it on an ATM machine twice everyday without the machine seizing it. And it won't take long for them to access his account. People should avoid using their DOB as ATM PIN code! Random numbers that can be remembered easily should suffice in this case.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by phemmyfour: 1:49pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

We dey bypass otp these days
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sandralight(f): 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
There are actually some sites that dont bother with OTP, like netflix just put your card details and voila you have paid, they dont send otp to the person.

I have done some transactions in some foreign site that dont require OTP.
So if your atm get lost or stolen, call the bank to block it because if you dont your money is gone
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Indispensable85(m): 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

Na u Bleep up na.
How u go loss ATM and u nor block am.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Tpharell: 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sandralight:
There are actually some sites that dont bother with OTP, like netflix just put your card details and voila you have paid, they dont send otp to the person.

I have done some transactions in some foreign site that dont require OTP.
So if your atm get lost or stolen, call the bank to block it because if you dont your money is gone
What about the four digit sacret pin of the atm card?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sandralight(f): 2:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Tpharell:

What about the four digit sacret pin of the atm card?
when I subscribe to Netflix, I didn't put my Atm pin, just the details in the card.

At first I was expecting an otp to be sent to my phone but I didn't see anything, I even thought it didn't work until I saw an alert.

Some foreign sites dont require OTP or your atm pin, it's scary

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by emmykk(m): 2:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
Felabrity:
You lost your brother card since last month and he didn't block the card.

Bros your intelligent is more than that of that guy
He refused to block or do anything about the ATM card when it was missing yet got gut to come Nairaland and complain of money been wipe.

Foreign e-commerce don't need otp just that number back and front and they can use your card to buy hosting and domain names,shop online etc. Even mere swiping of the cards in some powerful POS you money don move.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by AFONJAPIG(m): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe
please my Atm has expired and my account is heavy, am I safe with expired ATM because I no won hear story
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sandralight(f): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Codeye:

I'm sorry I don't believe that, if it's true list some of those websites let confirm because truth be told I don't believe that it possible
you have been asking different people for websites where they dont need OTP, Mr Man you are a suspect.

Why the curiosity kiss
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by okosodo: 2:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
Your other brother or neighbour did it, whichever way, the person is lurking around
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Pharaoh4rin(m): 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
His email address, remember otp goes to the email address too

Wow! I didn't know this. This is encouraging
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by funshow21: 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2022
they dont need OTP to run money from your account... they must have conducted the transaction using online shopping site..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Customers Queue For Bank Verification Number (BVN) In Dutse (Photo) / About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.