Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34499 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2022
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by slimjohn2k5: 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2022
His email address, remember otp goes to the email address too

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Idrisab(m): 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2022
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe

130 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by snoopy(m): 5:52am On Jan 15, 2022
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.

138 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 7:59am On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.
This is serious embarassed, but then he received it 5times. What could have gone wrong?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 8:01am On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
Hmm... This is another angle. I will ask him if he used his email address when filling out the form.
But is there a way the money can be retrieved?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe
According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.

3 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by slimjohn2k5: 9:43am On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

Hmm... This is another angle. I will ask him if he used his email address when filling out the form.
But is there a way the money can be retrieved?

Money cannot be retrieved unless traced to the recipient. Lonnnnngggggg thing

Ask him to sign out of all devices in his email address

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by SportsHD: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
I'm glad I use union bank. Shit has more than 4fa auth. You need to add a website to your list of authorized websites for online purchases before that card can be used on the website.
The only good thing about buhari though.

I'm sorry about your brother, I think he should be careful next time. And, when you lose your sim or your debit card, you should try and block the money transfer channels or retrieve them as soon as possible so you won't fall bait to these scammers.

Bvn and ATM scammers should be castrated.

Person go serve his fatherland, all the standing in the sun, dodging pantami boys bullets, standing guard overnight, not knowing if an sniper would take their head off in an instant, beating and oppressing innocent civilians, only to have your money wiped from your account.

Tragic, just tragic.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by goodlistener: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
This is scary
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Felabrity: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
You lost your brother card since last month and he didn't block the card.

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Omniman(m): 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by LaIabobo: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
Not sorry to say but your brother is unserious.
He lost his ATM card, didn't bother going to the bank to block it, he also didn't think it's important to call the bank to block the card.

I won't be surprised if you lot begin pushing the blame on the bank or crying in the bank asking them to reverse the lost money for you.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Authoreety: 11:58am On Jan 15, 2022
Who
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Perfecttouchade: 11:58am On Jan 15, 2022
Not cool
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by bigdammyj: 11:58am On Jan 15, 2022
Noted
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Aidejay(m): 11:58am On Jan 15, 2022
@OP sorry for your loss, to answer your question.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP? - Your money can't be wiped off without OTP it's either the thief's found a way to get the otp by rerouting the destination of the otp message or someone gained access to your brothers phone and copied the otp when it was sent. (Apparently some sites don't require OTP, point noted)

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe. - You can't blame the bank. you guys were meant to block the card immediately. infact a call to customer care line would have done that.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother.
- Yes but it will require patience and you will have to be comfortable with the idea that the money is forever gone.

once again sowwie!!!

for people who like history check this out - https://www.nairaland.com/6940016/these-unexplored-historical-photos-remarkable

5 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by htdot: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
[center]op, if your brother is a yahoo yahoo sfan, then the money will be gone forever but if he is not a supporter of yahoo, the perpetrator will be caught and his money will be refunded.[/center]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Jay5mie: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
angry

I REMEMBER TRYING TO PAY MY ADMISSION FEE TO A COLLEGE IN CANADA, IMMEDIATELY I FILLED MY DETAILS, I RECEIVED AN ALERT. NO OTP REQUEST OR ANY MEANS TO CONFIRM IF I WAS THE ONE WHO AUTHORIZED THE TRANSACTION.

NA THAT DAY I GET SENSE.

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by PrinceMajestic: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
Sorry about your situation
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by flexyrule(m): 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
More like an insider job.

Not accusing any of your family members though... But card withdrawal will require at least 1 form of authentication (either OTP, PIN or any secure code)

8 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Jh0wsef(m): 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
Nigerian banks as whole have less security, talk more of common Polaris. OYO

3 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by slawormiir: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

It looks like a foreign/internataional online transaction

slimjohn2k5:

Otp does not go to email address

motionarena:
some do my GT goes to both phone and email

chubarubah:

You can as well receive otp through your email address
Maybe you guys are right...but I can bet my balls that zenith bank don't send otp through email

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by RichDad1(m): 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
No. Most banks do send otp to emails anymore.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by MrCover: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
@poster, how much was stolen from your brother Polaris Bank Account

4 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by chyzoo4u(m): 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:

This doesn't make sense. He said he lost ATM card only, not ATM card with phone or email login details.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by ShenTeh(m): 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
Ah when we all praise fraudsters and serial killers and go ahead to badge them as smarties or Yahoo boys, we forget that we are all susceptible to the venom of this vice.

Stay safe.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by UselessBuharist: 12:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Wetin don loss don loss

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Blake755: 12:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.
Yeah visa nah nonsense

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by doggedfighter(f): 12:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
So anyone can easily lay hands on another

person's ATM and withdraw without knowing the pin?

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by seanwilliam(m): 12:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

visa and master security is the same .. depends on where I want to use it

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Emmerlee(m): 12:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
The safest thing to do next time is to block the stolen card completely. It is both reckless and unwise not to do so. For instance there are actually a lot of sites where you can shop with your card successfully without token. Let's take these little safety measures serious.

15 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Differences Between BN And RC Number / Efe Ejere, Chief Operating Officer, Grand Cubana Hotel Celebrates Birthday / Naira Plunges To N575 To A Dollar Two Days After Aboki FX Update Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.