Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,834 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34477 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Remman(m): 2:29pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry
it was done by someone with access to his phone. Or someone is using a SPY app to monitor all his SMS, FB, Whatsapp, etc. messages. So, it's someone close that did it.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by chyzoo4u(m): 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
2kurupt:

Email what? Someone else said OTP was maybe sent to his email, not me.

Then you first quoted me out of context.

2kurupt:

There's no need for arguments, these are general knowledge for tech savvy folks. Most international e-commerce websites only need your ATM number, DOB & the CV.V to conclude a transaction. End of story

I never argued this. I make purchase every now and then and I'm aware some websites don't request for OTP.

The guy that I quoted initially made wrong assertion, before I corrected him. You actually quoted me wrongly.

Enjoy your weekend
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sucrewrld: 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
Bros give your brother him money back na you comot am.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by YellowMayor(m): 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii

Are you serious? A whole DPO?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by bizhop01: 2:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
His email address, remember otp goes to the email address too
NO
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Jayslyder: 2:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
The OTP serves as an authentication and thwre by authorises transactions...ask him if he gave anyone the code ...that's the only explanation.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by TroubleMaker47(m): 2:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe
Or scrap out your Security the moment you get your atm card.
No hacker no matter how good can remove money from your account tru atm without your Security
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Pofgrace(m): 2:52pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.
Mastercard no get any security I tell you I've been a victim of ATM fraud before and mine is Mastercard the person use my money buy recharge card from MTN platform
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by lereinter(m): 2:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:

Which email, I'm not sure you are correct
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by lereinter(m): 2:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

This is serious embarassed, but then he received it 5times. What could have gone wrong?

Maybe they finally guessed right
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by lereinter(m): 2:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Felabrity:
You lost your brother card since last month and he didn't block the card.

According to the article the bro is a soldier, serving in Borno and they don't give them pass easily
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by alizma: 3:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Yes. With the card number and the CCV, which is the 3digit on the other side of the card, someone's money can be wiped out successfully. Maybe th y initially tried it on a website that request for otp but when they didn't get the needed response, they tried it on another website that accept only the card number and CCV for successful transaction.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by dingbang(m): 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
With firstmobile, you can lock your atm card and unlock it anytime you want to use it

Na ignorance dey make customers lose their money sometimes.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by LaSenior: 3:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
OTP doesn't go to email address
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by LOVEGINO(m): 3:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

This is serious embarassed, but then he received it 5times. What could have gone wrong?
u re d number 1 suspect.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by TheMostComplex1: 3:25pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii

Your DPO Uncle's money easy come easy go
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by xamiel4(m): 3:30pm On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.
Very true. Aliexpress don't use it
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by bepositive11: 3:38pm On Jan 15, 2022
slimjohn2k5:

Money cannot be retrieved unless traced to the recipient. Lonnnnngggggg thing

Ask him to sign out of all devices in his email address

I disagree. If the theif has access to his email address, he'll lose access forever.

He's better off signing off in all other devices apart from a particular one then change the log in
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by bepositive11: 3:42pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

The best thing to do is to have a separate account for your atm card where you transfer money only when you're going to use it - only transfer the amount that you need
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Oyerinde16(m): 3:51pm On Jan 15, 2022
The day I tried to buy something on an international site/platform, after entering my details, I was waiting for OTP, Na alert of #104k I get, that is the day I knew OTP na scam to some extent, they will withdraw your money on some payment gateways without OTP and your bank will only tell you they made online purchase...
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by emsco91(m): 3:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
most times issue of money theft arises from how your bank account was opened.
I used to tell people to stop patronizing road side bank agents and opening an account without a valid i.d. It is very dangerous.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.

I don't think this is still application because I tried purchasing something online of late it didn't go through because the foreign site won't sent otp.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Codeye(m): 3:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sandralight:
you have been asking different people for websites where they dont need OTP, Mr Man you are a suspect.

Why the curiosity kiss
Yes I'm might be a suspect be this is just curiosity
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nothingserious: 3:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

Error 1:
You should have informed your bank to block the debit card immediately you suspected it missing. Your bank isn’t liable here. But thou can lodge a complaint for an investigation.

Possibility 1: it’s possible this is not a random misplacement of the card. You didn’t say the circumstances sorrounding the misplacement.
What if someone close to you guys did this?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Keemie(f): 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2022
Some Foreign websites only need 3 things your card number, Security and expiry date. A good example is Aliexpress. Maybe the person that found the card used it to buy something on a foreign website.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by rezzy: 4:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
flexyrule:
More like an insider job.

Not accusing any of your family members though... But card withdrawal will require at least 1 form of authentication (either OTP, PIN or any secure code)

Not true. Aliexpress sometimes don't use otp ó, other times, it requires otp

Keemie:
Some Foreign websites only need 3 things your card number, Security and expiry date. A good example is Aliexpress. Maybe the person that found the card used it to buy something on a foreign website.

Correct
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
TruthUntold:

No, na warehouse where people go to stash their money. Hm!
timu, I was being sarcastic
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Hiq0: 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2022
How
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by yemi1504: 5:06pm On Jan 15, 2022
nelszx:
Yes it can now be wiped without an OTP, dunno how but someone initiated a debit on my Access bank Visa debit card and certain amounts was debited. Immediately I got the debits, I called the bank to block my ATM as it has boe been compromised.

I think they can now withdraw from your account without needing an OTP or your pin.

Wahala for those wey get banks like UBA wey horrible customer service dey on all their channels and no dey reply on time SMH.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe

Na wetin I dey do be this. I have one atm that doesn't have too much money inside. That's what I carry around so that even if they Rob me and get the pin, the money inside won't pain me too much..

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Felabrity: 5:27pm On Jan 15, 2022
lereinter:

According to the article the bro is a soldier, serving in Borno and they don't give them pass easily
bro you can easily block your card from your mobile phone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Efe Ejere, Chief Operating Officer, Grand Cubana Hotel Celebrates Birthday / Naira Plunges To N575 To A Dollar Two Days After Aboki FX Update Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.