Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34483 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by blahc007: 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2022
One of my young friends started a banking job with one of the Nigerian banks,located in my village, that was 2019 I guess..
I hear say de guy don de build upstairs for em papa house....
I come de ask weda de guy get anoda job with shell wey I no hear?....dem say em still dey de bank..
OP na ur broda case mek me remember this mata now....cos this young bloods working in bank these days.....hmmmm....mek I talk less sha
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by OlujobaSamuel: 5:29pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sandralight:
when I subscribe to Netflix, I didn't put my Atm pin, just the details in the card.

At first I was expecting an otp to be sent to my phone but I didn't see anything, I even thought it didn't work until I saw an alert.

Some foreign sites dont require OTP or your atm pin, it's scary
The likely event in your case is that you used the Netflix app on your phone, you have granted it permission to access your contact and sms, it reads the message immediately it comes in and fill it to the portal where it's needed.
For those saying PayPal, i still used my card on it in November and there was otp.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sandralight(f): 5:33pm On Jan 15, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

The likely event in your case is that you used the Netflix app on your phone, you have granted it permission to access your contact and sms, it reads the message immediately it comes in and fill it to the portal where it's needed.
For those saying PayPal, i still used my card on it in November and there was otp.
There was no message with any OTP code. I gave my sister my Netflix account to sub for me and it was the same thing.
They didn't send her otp too and she did it 2x thinking it didn't go but they refunded her money back sha
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Idrisab(m): 5:50pm On Jan 15, 2022
og2711:

Na wetin I dey do be this. I have one atm that doesn't have too much money inside. That's what I carry around so that even if they Rob me and get the pin, the money inside won't pain me too much..
Smart!
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by OlujobaSamuel: 5:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
Those saying AliExpress, this is a screenshot of an intended transaction. Except probably your bank do not send otp for all transactions, the two banks i use will definitely send an otp

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by OlujobaSamuel: 5:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sandralight:
There was no message with any OTP code. I gave my sister my Netflix account to sub for me and it was the same thing.
They didn't send her otp too and she did it 2x thinking it didn't go but they refunded her money back sha
Guess na bank specific, because mine will always send one
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by kachistone: 5:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii

Na wa o. Your uncle for still track them na. After all na policeman he be. A whole DPO for that matter o.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Hassanmaye(m): 6:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii
Hahahhahahaha
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Iamsalis: 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
Bigfish121:
You can link a bank card to your PayPal account and use it to make a purchase without OTP.just be very careful with your bank cards.
Does paypal allow Nigerian cards? I didn't think so.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by OlujobaSamuel: 6:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
Iamsalis:
Yes, it is allowed, but I used otp for mine.
NB; seems some are seeking for info on this subject not just to secure their cards but to defraud people using stolen cards.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Bigfish121(m): 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
Yes they do.i even used it last week to buy some courses in udemy.

Iamsalis:
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by caesymore(m): 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.

Even around 2013 qucikteller was still at their onset they never request otp or card pin.

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Omniman(m): 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
kachistone:

Na wa o. Your uncle for still track them na. After all na policeman he be. A whole DPO for that matter o.

The power to track lies with the bank
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by charlsecy(m): 7:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
LaSenior:
OTP doesn't go to email address
When I use Access Bank card on JumiaPay, I get OTP both on email and on phone.

OlujobaSamuel:
Except probably your bank do not send otp for all transactions,
I think some banks won't send an OTP if it is a small-value transaction, but do if the transaction is above a specified value.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by kachistone: 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:

The power to track lies with the bank

I understand but na DPO we dey talk about here o. Your uncle suppose fit pull stunt na.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by ayusco85(m): 8:52pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.

OTP is only sent for local transactions. If the card is used on a foreign site OTP is not sent. The 5 attempts that showed OTP message was for a local transaction. Without OTP u can't complete the transaction. But it's not same for foreign sites
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 9:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
flexyrule:
More like an insider job.

Not accusing any of your family members though... But card withdrawal will require at least 1 form of authentication (either OTP, PIN or any secure code)
That's what everyone in my family is thinking too. Because he later received a credit alert that same night. Meanwhile he was expecting anything from anyone or anywhere.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 9:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
blahc007:
One of my young friends started a banking job with one of the Nigerian banks,located in my village, that was 2019 I guess..
I hear say de guy don de build upstairs for em papa house....
I come de ask weda de guy get anoda job with shell wey I no hear?....dem say em still dey de bank..
OP na ur broda case mek me remember this mata now....cos this young bloods working in bank these days.....hmmmm....mek I talk less sha
My brother, the matter tire person o
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Me too dey surprised ooo, I'm aware that all Nigerian issued cards require otp for online transaction, except probably you have registered the card once on that site before which can make the transaction more like an auto renewal.
I once misplaced my zenith card, i was getting otp on it and I wasn't bothered till I needed the fund in the account and I transferred to my other account.
I guess the otp was reroute to another line or email through the help of an insider (bank). Except for the bank that you register your bvn, no other bank can alter your information.
That's my thought when I came in... And inside may be involved. If not he shouldn't have received any OTP in the first instance.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 10:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
Reference:
I may be entirely wrong.
But why do I have this feeling that this post is just a fishing expedition for information about loopholes in various systems.
Sometimes the knowledge and experiences shared in some conversations will end up hurting more people than intended.
Its a double edged sword.
The best way to respond will be to omit specific brand names and institutions and just be generic with information.
It is not, sir/ma. Right now, my brother is not happy because the money involved is his military course allowance he received after completing it. You can find out how much is involved, then you would know how pained we are.
Anything, anybody wants to think, that's their cup of tea.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2022
Oyolohi24:
Such reversal has never happened in any bank. Ask. He made it even worse for not reporting early or at all. That cash is gone. Very painful dear
I don't want to believe it is gone yet. He received like 53% of the money back last night. I presume, there's an inside work here... Kai
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Bankxx: 10:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.
I feel like op is trying to make a withdrawal from someones alc ..I just feel his comment and reply to possible suggestions to reasons why the money is taking is suspicious. .especially on this very comment .no go do pass yourself
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Desammyst(m): 10:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
Tpharell:

Most likely scenario. Someone very close had access to that phone and retrieved the otp to complete the transactions, which explains why there was no transaction while he was far away on duty. Someone who knows the atm card pin
Not at all. When it got missing, I told him about it. But he delayed in going to the bank, and instead went for his work. All the while, he has been with his phone. As he came back, he has stayed some days with us, before he received the OTP like 5times yesterday afternoon. Then boom! The entire account was wiped cry cry. It wasn't funny at all. When I came back, and he told me, I immediately screamed that it can't be, it just cannot happen. Because for the request for OTP to have been sent to him, that means the bank is complacent in the whole thing.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by jrobbins: 10:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

It looks like a foreign/internataional online transaction

Otp does not go to email address

Maybe you guys are right...but I can bet my balls that zenith bank don't send otp through email

Disembark.. you go just lose your balls..

Zenith send to email too
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Iamsalis: 10:37pm On Jan 15, 2022
Pls which bank card did u use.
Bigfish121:
Yes they do.i even used it last week to buy some courses in udemy.

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Bigfish121(m): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
Zenith master card.

Iamsalis:
Pls which bank card did u use.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Iamsalis: 12:04am On Jan 16, 2022
This same issue happened to a colleague of mine during Ramadan (fasting period).
We where about to break our fast when he started receiving OTP notification on his phone and he showed me and we laughed over it that this yahoo yahoo boys have started, After a while my friend checked his phone and noticed his whatsapp wasn't dropping and yet to receive the daily report from his Sales Rep via SMS, so he told me to turn on my hotspot for him to connect, To our surprise his account had been cleared off with the sum of 520k.
I place a call to his mtn line and to my surprise his line was barred and couldn't receive calls, so I called mtn call center and they told me that my friend had called to report his phone was lost and gave them the required security answer for the line to be blocked, that was wen my colleague now told me he has not been receiving email's lately that was when we realized that the email had been hacked and password changed. So it was obvious they got the OTP from his hacked email.

So I ask him these questions.

1. Did u give any one your ATM card 16 digits, Three Digits CV V And Date of birth?
2 Did u Fill any form online eg Covid 19, CBN relief fund and all those fraudulent enticing freebies.
Which he replayed NO, but I was sure he wasn't saying the truth.
So I immediately called GT connect which almost took like 1 hour to connect and report the fraud and the call center lady was helpful and told me that the debit was from a store in lekki Lagos while we where far away in the north and that she can't reverse the transactions because her profile can just only view and she also helped with the store name which I googled and got the store phone number.
I called the store and told them about the fraud and the way the guy was responding I realized it was an organized crime. I asked if the store had a CCTV he declined to answer, Did u issue a Receipt for purchase he was beating around the bush.
The next day we where at the bank by 8am to lay a complaint, before we even started to fill the form like 2 guys came in and where shouting, one of them had 1.5million cleared and we where like our case na child's play. We filled and submitted the form and wrote a complaint letter, it was time-stamped and acknowledged and we requested for a photocopy to hold as our proof. We left and had no response from the bank after 2 weeks so I told him to write to CBN fraud desk with attached copy of the photocopy of his complaint letter which he submitted to the bank and GT bank responded immediately that the transactions carried on that card was legitimate and can't be reversed.
CBN then replied via email with screen shot of his transaction history from his bank statement and gave the following reasons why the transactions won't be reversed.
1. OTP was used for the transactions
2. CV V was required
3.card 16 digits was used
4. ATM pin was required for the transactions
5. Expiry date of card is also required

So my Advice is
1. When u receive any OTP u didn't initiate block your card immediately using the USSD code, Nearest ATM, internet banking or via bank app.
2. Immediately u collect your ATM card cram your CV V and clean it off from your card
3 And Avoid any site that requires you to put your card details like plaque cos they are phishing site looking for prey with long throat waiting for free covid 19 and so called CBN relief.

Sorry for my typing, peace out.

Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Iamsalis: 12:05am On Jan 16, 2022
Thanks boss
Bigfish121:
Zenith master card.

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by goody2019: 2:07am On Jan 16, 2022
Codeye:

Bro can you list some of those websites?

Why are you particular about "list some of those websites"? So that you can ...?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Wealth777: 11:33am On Jan 17, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe

well said... or you simply use your fingerprint on ATMs
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by snoopy(m): 3:02pm On Jan 17, 2022
Thanksful:

I don't think this is still application because I tried purchasing something online of late it didn't go through because the foreign site won't sent otp.

it depends on different factors. most banks do a limit of $100 monthly on international transactions so if you purchase or pay for services more than the limit, be rest assured it wont get to the merchant. I shop online with Amazon and Asos and they never ask for OTP
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2022
snoopy:

it depends on different factors. most banks do a limit of $100 monthly on international transactions so if you purchase or pay for services more than the limit, be rest assured it wont get to the merchant. I shop online with Amazon and Asos and they never ask for OTP

I didn't

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Efe Ejere, Chief Operating Officer, Grand Cubana Hotel Celebrates Birthday / Naira Plunges To N575 To A Dollar Two Days After Aboki FX Update Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.