Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 - Travel (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (904954 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (920) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Osemigho: 5:56pm On May 10, 2022
Chinnychappy:
Hi Osemigho..
Do profs in Canada utilize a research topic/proposal submitted in the course of applying even before the graduate student joins their team? If yes, does it therefore mean the graduate student will be assigned a new area to research on when he/she eventually joins the team? @Osemigho

Hi, I generally advise people to avoid attaching a full proposal to an admission application if it is not required or you and your Canadian professors have reviewed/build it together. Your proposal will be evaluated by the admission committees, which are mostly professors. One of them may score your proposal low if they don't like your writing approach or research topic or methodology. Two or three paragraphs that briefly talk about your proposed research in a statement of purpose is enough to give them a brief idea of research you can potentially do in Canada. A statement of purpose is usually required.

To your questions, yes they use your proposal to evaluate your writing ability and their interest in the topic. During supervisor search and before admission application, they will decline if they are not interested in your topic or think you can't handle graduate writing. When you start the program, they may change your topic to their sub-area of interest. They will change your topic if they have funding for research and want you to do that. If you refuse, you don't get the funding. If they don't have funding for research for you, they may change your topic or questions stylishly without commanding you or being confrontational about it?

So how do you know they want you to change your topic or questions? You know by observing their body language and comments on your proposed topic/questions. Canadian professors will generally tell you "I don't think these questions, methods, or theory can fully explore the topic or I don't think there are any questions to explore in this topic... I would recommend you ..." Listen and follow your supervisor's recommendations if you want to graduate easily. That is how they often tell you to change things, unlike Nigerian professors that just tell you what to do directly. Those that don't listen or follow their recommendations or suggestions end up receiving more and more questions challenging their work than making any progress. Some students later give up or change supervisors after years of back and forth with the supervisor.

I have seen someone leave his Ph.D. in Canada for the US after like 2 years since he doesn't like his supervisors' recommendation. I have also seen someone that failed her Ph.D. defence because she did not follow her supervisor's recommendation to wait for some months. She tried to rush her defence because she received a post-doc scholarship that require her to graduate soon. In the end, when her committee started questioning her during her defence, her supervisor failed to defend her and the topic. She failed her defence, lost the post-doc, and had to wait one more year to rewrite her whole thesis. She left academia and now works professionally.

By the way, there is a short time after your thesis presentation, questions and answers, that your research committee (Your supervisor and his other "academic friends"wink) leave the room to privately discuss. It is after this private meeting, that they come back to give you their final verdict on your thesis defence. I will leave you to guess what they usually discuss during this period.

In summary, listen to and follow your supervisors' recommendations and suggestions if you want to graduate. The whole thing is like a small cult or factory, where older professors try to groom people that will continue their work or area of interest. People rarely fail their research when they have their supervisor's support. Thanks.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 10, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I did not upload passport photo in my application as I did not see where it is required in the new portals. Hope this is alright?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by ninab: 6:36pm On May 10, 2022
efeturi3:
Hello Everyone,
I did not upload passport photo in my application as I did not see where it is required in the new portals. Hope this is alright?

Passport is not required for adults on the new portal just kids

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Lezy: 6:41pm On May 10, 2022
Please, what can be used as sufficient justification? I am in same situation. Is Affidavit enough?
JustMellow:

Hello Geekly44,

Only if you have sufficient justification otherwise, it will be classified as a borrowed or arranged (lump) sum.

Best of Luck
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Timonline: 7:01pm On May 10, 2022
I've been really tensed about it, but having passed the medicals does it implies that we're hopeful for a study permit after this delay ?
Chyigb:

Let's just hope for the best, I'm in the same both aswell, my medical was requested for since 16th of March & got updated the following week. No response from them since then, MP & webforms doesn't seem to make any difference
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Motayo97: 7:10pm On May 10, 2022
CharitoJames:

I think so because IELTS is just for a period of 3 years and this is May already but then IELTS isn’t compulsory for VISA processing

IETLS validity is 2 years
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Chinnychappy: 7:12pm On May 10, 2022
This is very detailed and I have gone over it like 3 times. Please I DMed you. Please respond so I can gist you what went down.. Need your well informed input. @Osemigho[author=Osemigho post=112704381]

Hi, I generally advise people to avoid attaching a full proposal to an admission application if it is not required or you and your Canadian professors have reviewed/build it together. Your proposal will be evaluated by the admission committees, which are mostly professors. One of them may score your proposal low if they don't like your writing approach or research topic or methodology. Two or three paragraphs that briefly talk about your proposed research in a statement of purpose is enough to give them a brief idea of research you can potentially do in Canada. A statement of purpose is usually required.

To your questions, yes they use your proposal to evaluate your writing ability and their interest in the topic. During supervisor search and before admission application, they will decline if they are not interested in your topic or think you can't handle graduate writing. When you start the program, they may change your topic to their sub-area of interest. They will change your topic if they have funding for research and want you to do that. If you refuse, you don't get the funding. If they don't have funding for research for you, they may change your topic or questions stylishly without commanding you or being confrontational about it?

So how do you know they want you to change your topic or questions? You know by observing their body language and comments on your proposed topic/questions. Canadian professors will generally tell you "I don't think these questions, methods, or theory can fully explore the topic or I don't think there are any questions to explore in this topic... I would recommend you ..." Listen and follow your supervisor's recommendations if you want to graduate easily. That is how they often tell you to change things, unlike Nigerian professors that just tell you what to do directly. Those that don't listen or follow their recommendations or suggestions end up receiving more and more questions challenging their work than making any progress. Some students later give up or change supervisors after years of back and forth with the supervisor.

I have seen someone leave his Ph.D. in Canada for the US after like 2 years since he doesn't like his supervisors' recommendation. I have also seen someone that failed her Ph.D. defence because she did not follow her supervisor's recommendation to wait for some months. She tried to rush her defence because she received a post-doc scholarship that require her to graduate soon. In the end, when her committee started questioning her during her defence, her supervisor failed to defend her and the topic. She failed her defence, lost the post-doc, and had to wait one more year to rewrite her whole thesis. She left academia and now works professionally.

By the way, there is a short time after your thesis presentation, questions and answers, that your research committee (Your supervisor and his other "academic friends"wink) leave the room to privately discuss. It is after this private meeting, that they come back to give you their final verdict on your thesis defence. I will leave you to guess what they usually discuss during this period.

In summary, listen to and follow your supervisors' recommendations and suggestions if you want to graduate. The whole thing is like a small cult or factory, where older professors try to groom people that will continue their work or area of interest. People rarely fail their research when they have their supervisor's support. Thanks.[/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Lekiboboe: 8:00pm On May 10, 2022
dannybomb:

Please boss can you just give me few list of college that offers this PG certs

PG. Cert programs in Financial Planning, Marketing, Accounting , Finance, Business Management and Colleges Offering them

https://www.nairaland.com/6321900/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/167#98354676

https://www.nairaland.com/6957495/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/324#111629641

https://www.nairaland.com/6567181/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/247#103188415

https://www.nairaland.com/6957495/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/230#111060488

PG Cert Programs in UI/UX and Colleges offering them

PG. Cert, USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN (UX DESIGN)
St. Lawrence College, Kingston, Ontario

PG.Cert, User Experience (UX) Design
Humber College,Toronto, Ontario

Good luck!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by loohlaah: 8:16pm On May 10, 2022
Hello people,

I recently found this thread and it brought back hope to life in me.. I just want to ask how you guys are doing it? Staying sane, keeping positive energy.

I submitted my application with the new portal on 04/02/2022, I got biometrics appointment, did it the following day, it was uploaded 04/03/2022. Since then no update. My Profile is still reading “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility”. I feel so sad whenever I login and it is still same till date. To make it worse processing time is now 11weeks, yet nothing moves on my profile. I’ve filled web form, April 22, still nothing. My upfront medical is on 18/05/2022.

I see threads where people mentioned, ordering for GCMS, please how do I do that? Then MP, what is MP?

I

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Myki007: 8:58pm On May 10, 2022
Good evening all,pls I want to find out from those who recently travelled to Canada from last month if you were asked to do PCR testing, because the IRCC website states that those who are fully vaccinated doesn't need PCR testing.
Please urgent response, my departure date is close.thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Lotathebaby: 8:58pm On May 10, 2022
loohlaah:
Hello people,

I recently found this thread and it brought back hope to life in me.. I just want to ask how you guys are doing it? Staying sane, keeping positive energy.

I submitted my application with the new portal on 04/02/2022, I got biometrics appointment, did it the following day, it was uploaded 04/03/2022. Since then no update. My Profile is still reading “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility”. I feel so sad whenever I login and it is still same till date. To make it worse processing time is now 11weeks, yet nothing moves on my profile. I’ve filled web form, April 22, still nothing. My upfront medical is on 18/05/2022.

I see threads where people mentioned, ordering for GCMS, please how do I do that? Then MP, what is MP?

I

MP means Member of parliament. They are kind of the representatives in charge of a particular province. Sometimes, when you contact them concerning your application, the kind ones are helpful in tracking the application, while there are some that make it clear that they do not get involved in immigration matters or in matters that do not concern people in their province.
GCMS is a way of knowing details about your application. If you know someone in Canada, you can plead with them to order the notes for you, or you can order it through some websites online

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by loohlaah: 9:29pm On May 10, 2022
Thank you @lotathebaby
But Order through Some websites such as?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Osemigho: 9:29pm On May 10, 2022
Timonline:
Hello House, please I'm stuck in a limbo In my study permit journey,by February this year I got invited for medicals by ircc which I passed the medical examination. By march the information on my profile page was updated to "you passed the medical exam". Since then I haven't gotten any feedback from ircc, I have written a lot of webforms to the ircc to know the progress and status of my application but I only get an automated response. Please what should I do, this situation is affecting me mentally, I even had to defer my admission again to fall semester to wait for any news from ircc. Please your inputs and suggestions will be welcomed.

Request GCMS notes. I am not sure, but I think it triggers something In their system. I have seen people get a response close to their GCMS note release date. After requesting the note, send an email everyday.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Treasure134: 9:38pm On May 10, 2022
gcmsnote.com

loohlaah:
Thank you @lotathebaby
But Order through Some websites such as?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by loohlaah: 9:54pm On May 10, 2022
Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by JapaProfessor: 10:25pm On May 10, 2022
CeceTravels:
HELP! My student visa was denied again:This was the cry of a friend who reached out to me on facebook.

This friend of mine has applied for a study visa to Canada before,but her visa was denied for reasons she is unaware of. I had previously advised her to learn the reasons for her refusal and to understand the steps required in obtaining a visa before applying for a second time, but she claimed she had it under control until she informed me that her visa had been refused yet again

Studying in Canada is a great experience but Knowing how to apply for a student visa can be overwhelming especially if you have no prior experience. I'll be mentioning few factors you should consider when applying for a student visa.

Gathering your documentation is one of the most important things to do when applying for a student visa and it is done by;
1)Receiving an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution(DLI): To apply for a student visa to Canada,you must first get an acceptance letter from the school that will be hosting you.

2)Provide proof of your ability to pay for tuition and housing: This shows that you have the financial means for paying your tuition and living expenses in Canada before enrolling.This should contain proof of student loans from a bank or bank statement from the last 4-6 months, or a letter from the sponsoring person or school, depending on which one you'll be applying.

3)Have a valid international passport: According to the Canadian High Commission, you must have a passport valid for the duration of your intended stay in Canada.

4)Present a letter of explanation as to why you're studying in Canada:You must explain why you are studying in Canada, list the course you plan to take, and demonstrate that you will return to your home country once you have completed your studies (this is vital).If you are unable to write a convincing statement of purpose, seek guidance from an expert.

5)Prepare 2 passport-size pictures to include with your application: This should be recent pictures of you. All of your facial expressions in the images should be neutral, and you should be facing forward against a plain background.

At this point, I'm going to stop. This isn't all tho; there are still a lot of factors to consider but I can't go into it now.

If your visa has previously been denied, don't be too hard on yourself; there's obviously something you're not doing correctly.You must discover the reasons for the visa officer's refusal; this is important; do not be like my friend, who failed to exercise adequate caution

This is your statement of purpose and it is very important. Do not hesitate to send a mail to get the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by canada2022: 10:52pm On May 10, 2022
hello all

can i touch my dollar savings after i have submitted my application. i have naira saving but i want to withdraw the dollar for one business

@makano, Frankrobbn1, Lekiboboe, anon123
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Treasure134: 11:25pm On May 10, 2022
Please guys I need help!!

It's very urgent and a friend of mine only have tomorrow to pay her tuition deposit, FORM A has already messed her up and she don't wanna go with flutterwaver because of the high rate ... please is there anyone in Canada that can help pay the tuition deposit with a compensation on it .. please God will never be tired of our story

Please I'm not trying to rush on anyone please just help me

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Teemie22: 11:38pm On May 10, 2022
Treasure134:
Please guys I need help!!

It's very urgent and a friend of mine only have tomorrow to pay her tuition deposit, FORM A has already messed her up and she don't wanna go with flutterwaver because of the high rate ... please is there anyone in Canada that can help pay the tuition deposit with a compensation on it .. please God will never be tired of our story

Please I'm not trying to rush on anyone please just help me
I also faced the same issue, message the school for an extension with proof you’ve started the process. My deadline for payment was April 24th, I completed the whole process May 6th.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by oluayebenz: 11:59pm On May 10, 2022
Myki007:
Good evening all,pls I want to find out from those who recently travelled to Canada from last month if you were asked to do PCR testing, because the IRCC website states that those who are fully vaccinated doesn't need PCR testing.
Please urgent response, my departure date is close.thanks

For fully vaccinated, PCR test is not required.
Airline will only ask for your Covid vaccination card
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Treasure134: 12:12am On May 11, 2022
So how did you get it resolved?? Please
I mean the payment wahala

Teemie22:
I also faced the same issue, message the school for an extension with proof you’ve started the process. My deadline for payment was April 24th, I completed the whole process May 6th.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Samtob4life: 12:22am On May 11, 2022
Good morning

I learnt UBA has suspended form A due to unavailability of FX.

Please who used form A recently and which bank

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by nadesh(f): 3:58am On May 11, 2022
Good morning everyone. For a married masters degree holder with plans to japa,what are the best options ?
Apply for another masters and when visa is out , the husband and kids will apply for visit or they all apply same time ( husband and kids as depndants) ?
Pls help
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Chyigb: 4:57am On May 11, 2022
Timonline:
I've been really tensed about it, but having passed the medicals does it implies that we're hopeful for a study permit after this delay ?

I honestly can't say, IRCC can be very unpredictable. Let's remain positive. When did you submit your application? I submitted mine 31st of January
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by kc0021: 5:12am On May 11, 2022
Anyone heading up to Toronto this summer?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by wealthcss: 5:16am On May 11, 2022
wealthcss:
Hello guys am new here but I have been following this thread for a while.
I applied on the 25th of January
I got medical request on the 16th of March
And medical passed on the 25th of March
My eligibility review started more than a month ago. I got a reply from one of the numerous email on Wednesday. Please does this mean I should have some hope because my school will resume on the 19th of May.
Thanks guys

Helllo Good morning guys I don’t know what’s happening to my application now so I had my sister reach out to her MP this was his reply:
I recently had an opportunity to speak with an IRCC officer regarding the current status of your brother’s study permit application who advised:

The application was received on Jan 28, 2022 and it is at the Nairobi office
The current posted average processing timeline for all study permit applications outside of Canada is 11 weeks (is not a guarantee)
It is in the final review and decision stage – there is no timeline
There is nothing required from him
On April 27th an officer responded to their enquiry
Joy, Mr. Kelly and I hope your brother Isaiah receives good news soon about his application. If so desired, please feel free to contact me again on July 10th or after for another Inquiry to IRCC.

I don’t know what to expect now. Any advice
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Nobody: 5:27am On May 11, 2022
wealthcss:

Helllo Good morning guys I don’t know what’s happening to my application now so I had my sister reach out to her MP this was his reply:
I recently had an opportunity to speak with an IRCC officer regarding the current status of your brother’s study permit application who advised:

The current posted average processing timeline for all study permit applications outside of Canada is 11 weeks (is not a guarantee)
Joy, Mr. Kelly and I hope your brother Isaiah receives good news soon about his application. If so desired, please feel free to contact me again on July 10th or after for another Inquiry to IRCC.

I don’t know what to expect now. Any advice
advice is to pray and hope for the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by legenduq(m): 6:28am On May 11, 2022
wealthcss:

It means he's on the right track and he'll get a DM from IRCC soon. It will end in praise.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by shams040(m): 6:55am On May 11, 2022
Please for those that applied for study permit and Sowp together, what did you include in the purpose of visit?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Fmnig2003: 7:03am On May 11, 2022
Please I need response from you guys.
Fmnig2003:
Hi everyone,
Pls I got an admission in a Canadian school. But my challenge is with the pof for my visa application. Can the company I work with sponsor me? If yes, what documents do I need to submit for my visa application in that regard?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by Chinnychappy: 7:06am On May 11, 2022
Check page 1 of this thread. There is a link there that takes you to docs reqd.
Fmnig2003:
Please I need response from you guys.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 by amby147: 7:28am On May 11, 2022
I submitted 31st Jan only upfront medicals updated nothing else. Ordered GCMS last month every other thing passed but eligibility review still blank. I ordered again arriving month end. The wait no be here... It will end in praise for everyone.

Chyigb:

I honestly can't say, IRCC can be very unpredictable. Let's remain positive. When did you submit your application? I submitted mine 31st of January

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (920)

Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.