Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,020 members, 7,828,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? (29552 Views)

Traditional Wedding List Given To Me To Marry A Calabar Bride. Please Advise / Groom Shows Off What He Gave His In-laws For Traditional Wedding In Enugu (Pix) / My 4-Year-Old Niece Loves To Perceive Horrific Scents. Is This Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ksam(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Marry from that family at your own detriment. Because na after the wedding you go see tasking, your life will be full of frustration

6 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ogwuche4u(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:
Please my Igbo brothers and sisters,

Help me answer this.

I went with my friend to collect list from my prospective in-laws last weekend..

I am fine with the list though heavily loaded already, but now the family are saying that that’s not all, that I will also bring wine and money in envelope for all her brothers, they are seven in number, same for all her paternal uncles and wrappers for her paternal aunts, they called it something in Igbo “to marry for someone”.

Please is this supposed to be so? I am not very knowledgeable about the culture, help me here pls. What custom is this? I don’t understand why I have to marry for anyone else or buy wine for every sibling, uncle and aunt.

The Diokpara’s own is already stated in the list so why asking to do another one for the same diokpara again including the siblings and uncles and aunts.

Must you marry her? What sort of nonsense is that? You better get strong head o or you go buy wine and put money for envelope for all the people in her village. I hate it when they exploit men all In the name of marriage

9 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Bounceboune7: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Nothing like marriage from that side of Nigeria, it's basically buying human n extortion

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by doctor306(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
AutoChick4U:
I've got only two brothers and my uncles are millionaires so they don't need ur envelop. Bride price is 50naira just apply within.
you wey get bad character angry. You go tey for here !!!

6 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2022
Ninu rogbodiyan yi, u still Dey marry Igbo girl.. comrade u bam o.

6 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by elmodee7(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2022
If you love your wife to be you can go ahead with it all you need to do is negotiate.

1 Like

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Jackxcollection(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:

She said that’s what they told her to tell me. She doesn’t have a clue either.
That's why they get old without getting married.

6 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2022
doctor306:
you wey get bad character angry. You go tey for here !!!
Lolzz, my character no bad pass jarey. Chewing gum males can't handle it aii
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2022
ogwuche4u:

Must you marry her? What sort of nonsense is that? You better get strong head o or you go buy wine and put money for envelope for all the people in her village. I hate it when they exploit men all In the name of marriage
Money in envelope could b 50naira each.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2022
grin Shebi someone sang " Elo ni One Milli One Million Dollars"
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Highman56: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2022
AutoChick4U:
I've got only two brothers and my uncles are millionaires so they don't need ur envelop. Bride price is 50naira just apply within.
are you advertising yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by skywalker240(m): 3:21pm On Feb 01, 2022
If I show you my own when I do last December enh

You go know say your own de learn

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Wakando: 3:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:

She said that’s what they told her to tell me. She doesn’t have a clue either.
Na maga you be na, anything that is not in the list no concern you

6 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ogwuche4u(m): 3:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
AutoChick4U:
Money in envelope could b 50naira each.

You want them to make the woman barren? Even the 50naira is extortion.
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Phock2sweet: 3:23pm On Feb 01, 2022
AutoChick4U:
I don apply

1 Like

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by yusluvad(m): 3:23pm On Feb 01, 2022
All the best bro...
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by RealisticGirl(f): 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
Op for the wrapper thing I did it when I was about getting married, you have to buy wrapper for your wife's paternal and maternal aunt, I gave my uncle's wives as well it is part of the marriage in some part of igbo culture. Don't make it to be high quality wrapper, go for the lower quality. As for the money in the envelope, our people use to do it but I forgot to do it in my own case. My mom told me that it's not something much like #100 or 200 in each envelope, it's part of the marriage rite and not something you should be worried about.

4 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by NoQualmz: 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
Vondata:
U r getting married to a hungry family, better do the ones u can do, if they insist, u quit

honestly,very hungry family with heavy drops of poverty and illiteracy.

And Op u should have mentioned the state so tgat people who are from there and are grounded can help u out. This is 2022 u pple should stop giving half information.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by kponkedenge(m): 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
AutoChick4U:

Where are you based?
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Ashirioluwa: 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
Boy nothing is normal in Nigeria………Nigeria as a country is not normal
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Onyi90(m): 3:25pm On Feb 01, 2022
As an Igbo man this culture is alien/strange to me

2 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by sammirano: 3:25pm On Feb 01, 2022
IGBOS. SELLERS OF CHILD

4 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ahamonyeka(m): 3:25pm On Feb 01, 2022
If thats imo state especially mbano or isiala mbano thats how they do.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by 07kjb: 3:27pm On Feb 01, 2022
Everything u listed here is negotiateable that's the beauty of it go to your in-laws with your Kings men and price your self out...is fun my brother

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by NOBILITY22(f): 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
[/b]From my side, it is called "Iluru nwanyi" meaning in a lay man's understanding "your wife will take you to all her extended family (Aunties and Uncles) especially the ones that are married and show them whom she has agreed to marry...and you can't go empty handed that's where the drinks and money come to play.[b]

Now, it is not compulsory but it is necessary.
You will have to make out time with your wife and visit them even if they are living in another state from yours...

My Dad (blessed memory) made my elder sisters to do it with their husbands... They only go to their houses with wine(Eva) and #1000 envelope.
I found out that most of my cousins didn't do it and we only get to see their husbands in their traditional marriage day.

During my own time, my husband refused that he wasn't going to do it and my Dad forced him but he boldly refused. And we ended up not doing it... And nobody died.
My marriage is still kicking fine to the Glory of God.

So you see, everything boils down to you... If you wish to do it... Go ahead
If not, don't force it....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:

Help me answer this.

I went with my friend to collect list from my prospective in-laws last weekend..

I am fine with the list though heavily loaded already, but now the family are saying that that’s not all, that I will also bring wine and money in envelope for all her brothers, they are seven in number, same for all her paternal uncles and wrappers for her paternal aunts, they called it something in Igbo “to marry for someone”.

Please is this supposed to be so? I am not very knowledgeable about the culture, help me here pls. What custom is this? I don’t understand why I have to marry for anyone else or buy wine for every sibling, uncle and aunt.

The Diokpara’s own is already stated in the list so why asking to do another one for the same diokpara again including the siblings and uncles and aunts.
Do WHATEVER THEY TOLD YOU TO DO DON'T COMPLAIN NO BE YOU SAY YOU WAN MARRY? ABI NA DEM FORCE YOU?. OGA FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
Highman56:
are you advertising yourself?
Yes ooooooo, need more kids and a man of my own ooo. Not too much to ask ryt
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Blacckkk: 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
Give away! Give away!! Give away!!!

A philanthropist wants to give away 200,000 to twenty people.
You stand a chance to win 10,000 naira.

To participate, be among the first 20 to call 07030469439.
Good luck.
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blacckkk:
Give away! Give away!! Give away!!!

A philanthropist wants to give away 200,000 to twenty people.
You stand a chance to win 10,000 naira.

To participate, be among the first 20 to call 07030469439.
Good luck.
too good to be true

3 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Phock2sweet:
I don apply
Bros this ur moniker eh
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by oilmane(m): 3:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:

Help me answer this.

Did they tell you the amount you should put in the envelope? If no then give each of them 1k then get them cheap wine, but your wife to be should be able to sort out this issue with her family, you guys will need money to live comfortably after your marriage so they shouldn't push you into debt just cause you intend getting married to their daughter.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by angelfallz(m): 3:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Instead of you to consult and know the traditions of the place your potential wife is coming from, so that nobody would be able to con you,
you are here asking silly questions. mtcheww

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dealing With A Snoring Partner / Hilarious Family Whatsapp Chats / ‘My Husband No Longer Ejaculates Inside Me During Sex’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.