Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,343 members, 7,811,993 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? (29478 Views)

Traditional Wedding List Given To Me To Marry A Calabar Bride. Please Advise / Groom Shows Off What He Gave His In-laws For Traditional Wedding In Enugu (Pix) / My 4-Year-Old Niece Loves To Perceive Horrific Scents. Is This Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Blixon: 1:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
Please my Igbo brothers and sisters,

Help me answer this.

I went with my friend to collect list from my prospective in-laws last weekend..

I am fine with the list though heavily loaded already, but now the family are saying that that’s not all, that I will also bring wine and money in envelope for all her brothers, they are seven in number, same for all her paternal uncles and wrappers for her paternal aunts, they called it something in Igbo “to marry for someone”.

Please is this supposed to be so? I am not very knowledgeable about the culture, help me here pls. What custom is this? I don’t understand why I have to marry for anyone else or buy wine for every sibling, uncle and aunt.

The Diokpara’s own is already stated in the list so why asking to do another one for the same diokpara again including the siblings and uncles and aunts.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by donbachi(m): 2:09pm On Feb 01, 2022
Pay...but.wen dem ask u for financial help in future.no help dem.as dem no get conscience.
Just 500 naira inside each envelope

186 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Acidosis(m): 2:14pm On Feb 01, 2022
Are you getting married to a stranger? What's your fiancée's opinion about this?

79 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Blixon: 2:31pm On Feb 01, 2022
Acidosis:

Are you getting married to a stranger? What's your fiancée's opinion about this?
She said that’s what they told her to tell me. She doesn’t have a clue either.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ibechris(m): 3:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
If I were u,I will call my would be wife and tell her that after this marriage ceremony,that u don't want to see her family near your house let alone come closer.

Then wait and watch her talk to them to behave.

216 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by adekanmbi1986(m): 3:09pm On Feb 01, 2022
Hmm
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by butpro(m): 3:09pm On Feb 01, 2022
Absolutely..... Depends
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by doctor306(m): 3:09pm On Feb 01, 2022
The only compulsory pay is the bride price the rest depends on your level of craze “list inclusive “

90 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by osuofia2(m): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:
Please my Igbo brothers and sisters,

Help me answer this.

I went with my friend to collect list from my prospective in-laws last weekend..

I am fine with the list though heavily loaded already, but now the family are saying that that’s not all, that I will also bring wine and money in envelope for all her brothers, they are seven in number, same for all her paternal uncles and wrappers for her paternal aunts, they called it something in Igbo “to marry for someone”.

Please is this supposed to be so? I am not very knowledgeable about the culture, help me here pls. What custom is this? I don’t understand why I have to marry for anyone else or buy wine for every sibling, uncle and aunt.

The Diokpara’s own is already stated in the list so why asking to do another one for the same diokpara again including the siblings and uncles and aunts.
PUT 100 NAIRA IN EACH OF THE ENVELOPE

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by tessbadmos(m): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2022
You can't satisfy them. Try to convince them

4 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by ShenTeh(m): 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2022
It's ok.

Because same parents have eaten from the fruits of mercilessness that they have made other people's children go through, they are unable to stop the tradition that imprisons everyone.

I learnt a long time ago that you can negotiate anything with anybody. Op, try and negotiate what you can afford.

7 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2022
Lol this is ridiculous..
First, u need to tell us which part in igboland, hopefully someone from there will give us an insight about the traditions there.

I am igbo from Anambra nd this is my first time hearing about this whole nonsense..

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by doctor306(m): 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2022
ibechris:
If I were u,I will call my would be wife and tell her that after this marriage ceremony,that u don't want to see her family near your house let alone come closer.

Then wait and watch her talk to them to behave.

Best advice so far !!!

14 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Qwerty4u(m): 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2022
It's like that my brother especially in the East side shaa.. But the truth is you do the reasonably much you can do and finish up later after the wedding.

My people say nobody finishes eating from an in-law once.

Calm down with this song

https://mayvibe.com/album/idi-ebube1612459870

4 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Romanoff(f): 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2022
They should be able to negotiate it.

Like those money in the envelope, e no spos be big money, at least between 1k to 5k or they eliminate it totally.

If you're not okay with the list, please tell them you can't afford it.

Don't agree only to treat them like beggars like some people are suggesting.

Them no use gun force you to bring all those things.

10 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by tophumble(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
hmmm
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Kriely(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
Rubbish

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by iHart(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
Its not normal but... In my own case, I used wrapper and wine to give invitation card to all my aunties and uncles respectively, both paternal and maternal. It's not a culture in my place but its a way of telling them that you are getting married. All my cousins from my maternal side brought wrapper to my mum to inform and invite her their wedding. I learnt it from there.

1 Like

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by mecuries(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
before opening the thread,I knew the tribe

16 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Vondata(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
U r getting married to a hungry family, better do the ones u can do, if they insist, u quit

36 Likes

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by Deicide: 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
Traditional wedding in Nigeria is just a way for people to milk you dry. Legally it stands no ground.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by FreestufsNG: 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
nawa o
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
I've got only two brothers and my uncles are millionaires so they don't need ur envelop. Bride price is 50naira just apply within.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by PrinceOfLagos: 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
Too much
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by athaboi(f): 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
Find this as lies

1 Like

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by guru90: 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
Blixon:

She said that’s what they told her to tell me. She doesn’t have a clue either.

Omo.... u must meet her back because she must surely have a clue oooh
Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by bmdmix11: 3:14pm On Feb 01, 2022
if u can't afford it just tell ur wife to b if they say that's d tradition, say u hear put d list for cupboard n b doing free banging till she carry belly or they get tired of waiting

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Normal For Traditional Wedding List? by vincentjk(m): 3:14pm On Feb 01, 2022
Those guys wan use you cash out

For their mind dem don see maga nao, do the ones you can and leave the rest bro.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can A Man Give A Lady ₦400,000 Just Like That & Not Ask For Anything In Return? / Woman Dies Five Months After Giving Birth After 18 Years Of Childlessness.Photos / Woman Sleeping In A Cot While Baby Sleeps On The Bed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.