Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish (36676 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari, Followers On Rampage / Anglican Church Suspends Bishop Adepoju For Having Sex With Reverend’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 11:16am On Feb 08, 2022
swedbase:

But he has been kicked out like a roten smelly egg. He would be replace with an Igbo lover or an Igbo priest. Stupid edo idiot priest. His sister is a prostitude in italy
Why 99℅ of your own sisters are prostitutes. Go and ask Onyendu Ohamadickead in Zoo cage.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by donnie(m): 11:23am On Feb 08, 2022
It's like banning Yoruba songs in CAC and rccg churches in Calabar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by dokyOloye: 11:23am On Feb 08, 2022
Mzflexydeeva:
I am forced to comment. I am not saying what this priest has done is right but I can understand a bit of what he is saying. Banning is the solution rather ways to foster harmony among all tribes in the church should be sought for.

I for one, I am a catholic but going to church in Lagos has been very discouraging. I have attended a mass where the priest was practically giving sermon in Igbo. Most priest especially those from the East forget the term universal when they mount the pulpit. It’s actually discouraging when at a mass all the Igbo people are laughing over what a priest has said and you just sit there lost. If you are not Igbo sometimes going for mass is no use. Just find the readings and stay at home because you won’t enjoy mass. I am not Yoruba either but I know of a church that has Yoruba mass and others in English. So maybe having an Igbo mass strictly for igbos would help.
There is no Catholic church even in the east that has strictly Igbo masses everyday.
Some days are Latin mass ,some English and some others strictly for the indigenous language.
If you can't tolerate that,you have no reason being in a church.
Here in my Paris Abuja,they sing Gbagyi songs in every mass in a church that is 95% Igbos but I've not seen anybody complain.

7 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by dokyOloye: 11:25am On Feb 08, 2022
nwigwemark:
I know him from Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church Ifako Gbagada.

I am not surprised. He is a boring priest.
Little wonder.
The real cerebral priests have less time to notice such nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Datikwerreboi(m): 11:27am On Feb 08, 2022
Invictuse:
[s]It it unnecessary when you Igbos dominant but necessary when you are dominant. You can see you igbos are cursed both physical spiritually n mentally. This man is not even Yoruba but I blame the Yoruba that reason with you Igbos na dem de give u say but their unborn generation will suffer for it[/s]

I guess you're a Yoruba Muslim who don't understand Christians,there is no division in the body of Christ

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by YorobaPIGS: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2022
alphaNomega:

I'm going to update my list of what keeps Nigeria together

1. Crude oil

2. Hatred for Igbo tribe
you just realized this?

Anyways better late than never

Even Achebe stated it in his famous book, There was a country.

'That the common resentment for the Igbo man is what unites/bring together other nigerians'

Quote not verbatim

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Blackdisciple(m): 11:42am On Feb 08, 2022
[quote author=Emdes post=110052502]He forgot the Igbo's own Catholic church in Nigeria

Maybe he will need to go back to history
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by koning: 11:48am On Feb 08, 2022
You cannot ban any language in the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA. If Igbos want to sing in Igbo in sokoto, the CAN.

Ret.arded priest. Go to Cele church in Peckham, London and hear the Yoruba's sing very loud in Youruba language.

They have not been banned yet.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Aidejay(m): 11:51am On Feb 08, 2022
Firstly I will have to fault that priest.

he didn't act in wisdom. This is something he should have asked the holy spirit to help him navigate. Not to come on the altar and start ranting.

But this is not an igbo thing, it happens in many churches.

Something similar happened in a church I attended that was made up of many Yorubas, Yoruba songs dominated but the pastor a yoruba man changed it. Now songs from other languages are being sang.

Even songs from minority tribes,
and everybody sings along and enjoys the service.

This is why I like Yorubas very accommodating people, accommodate other tribes and their cultures and sounds.

I like a diverse church but you can achieve it without coming off as an undiplomatic person.

except if he has tried previously to introduce a little mix into the church singing and the igbos refused, that doesn't justify this his overreaction.

NOW THE CHURCH IS DIVIDED.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by anambraamaka: 11:54am On Feb 08, 2022
igbos own catholic church
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by APOSTLEIYKE(m): 11:55am On Feb 08, 2022
He is from Benin Diocese and working in Lagos . Why not remain in Benin Diocese so as to command and enjoy his local power to the fullest.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by VULCAN(m): 11:59am On Feb 08, 2022
If this is what you call a solution, I can imagine what your boss thinks of you.

So if your friend is having problems with his father and siblings, your simple solution is that he move into the smallest room in his father's house!

Solution kor, solution nee!

Dsalvo:

There is always the option for all of you Igbos to move back to the SE and remain there.

That way you will be away from Nigerians who "hate" you and be able to build your Biafra paradise exactly how you want..

Simple solution for both sides.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by flokii: 12:01pm On Feb 08, 2022
Hausa:
You're not a Catholic so you're incapable of understanding how things are run there.

But let me ask you.
Put yourself as a priest, and church members came to make this complaint to you.
In your God given wisdom, education, and holy spirit-filled mind, what will you do?

Hit it straight to the head that he screwed up and screwed up big time.

The official language in Nigeria is English to start with.. you can't force other tribes to learn Igbo or speak Igbo. It must strictly be by choice.

I understand a lil. bit of Igbo myself cos I attended Igbo classes in high school, just that I didn't write in WAEC. When I'm in a gathering and I see people from other tribes there, I switch tongue to English so noone will feel left behind or aggrieved and when I'm with my tribe guys, it's sweet Yoruba all day long.

The priest should have instructed the choir to do English to carry everyone in the church along but I guess we all have different approach to doing things.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Coldie(m): 12:06pm On Feb 08, 2022
Osagyefo98:

I don't know why an average Edo state man has so much hatred for Igbos. They go about on Facebook and Twitter creating all forms of attacks on Igbos.

Even a priest has transferred same to a church in Lagos. You just dey hate people wey no send una...I tire oohhh

Meanwhile, my attendant In foreign churches is solely based on Sunday issues.

I can't be holier than the Archbishop.
N same people way want igbos to dae attend Christ embassy.

Igbos don’t have any major Pentecostal church in Nigeria despite igbos being a region with 98% Christian’s but we attend other peoples church no problem. But let an Igbo man start a church other tribes would start saying we are doing it for money this and that I have heard a lot of people make such remarks I just begin to look them somehow

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by BeardedmeatR(m): 12:08pm On Feb 08, 2022
Newton85:
Whatever! But Eboe is still Eboe.
Whatever! But yorr.obber mooslims are still inferior to the caliphate.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Coldie(m): 12:09pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Wherever they are, their first aim is how to dominate.

This is why they shouldn't be entrusted with power.

Check what Aguyi Ironsi did just few months he was a ruler.
Check those court martial by Ojukwu during the civil war, non of them are Ndi Igbo.

Check what Azikwe tried to do in Southwest (by representing the region upon the numbers of literate mind among Yorubas) before Awolowo cornered his mischievous move

Check those killed and spare by Kaduna Nzegu and Owaboshi.

They're just pretending, give power to them and be a victim of their vengeance
The way Buhari was appointing northerners back to back and all of u turned deaf and dumb abi

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Ykc2(m): 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2022
Newton85:
Nah, just the way Anambra people loved your Biaflan first lady Bianca Ojukwu to the extent of preventing her from representing them at the National Assembly just because she's from Enugu State.
oooh I thought igbos hate them selves while yorubas love them selves,

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by cyrilamx(m): 12:17pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kylekent59:

What can you say about emirate airlines?? Who are their staffs?

Go to Alaba international market and see yourba salesgirls working for an Igbo man.

Why are you Yorubas Wicked? Why causing problems?

We the northerners don't hate Igbos. You guys go online and create fake profiles with our names to attack and critisize the Igbos.

Go to trade fair markek, Alaba, computer village, and see how peaceful Hausas and Igbos are.

Enough of all the hatred!!!!!
Because it will never happen in the South East. If they can reject a fellow igboman as bishop because he is from Anambra, why do you think nepotism will be far from them when it comes to job issue regarding other tribe?
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Ykc2(m): 12:18pm On Feb 08, 2022
Newton85:
I also love how Abia State sacked non-indigene workers from Imo state from its civil service.
igbos hate them selves yoruba love funsho Williams,efulefu

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2022
LILTJAY1:
Igbo people are cursed. .
I swear to god grin grin
Ewedu nd Amala grin
U cant continue 2 Hate de most progressive tribe in Nigeria,
I must giv all my Afonja Tenants in lagos quick Notice dis year cheesy grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Thorondor: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2022
So an Ishan man, an inconsequential minority tribe from Edo happens to be a parish priest in Yoruba land and Igbo dominated parish and yet he’s angry that an Igbo man became a bishop in his state.

What exactly is wrong With the black man?

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by chiefobdk2: 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2022
SugarGirl44:

You're so shameless. Self hatred is really a thing for you guys.

like i said. i know u are from osun village. if any of ur tribesmen want to sell d hut he inherited in Lagos mention me..

money dey ground...

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by chiefobdk2: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2022
LILTJAY1:
Igbo people are cursed. .
I swear to god grin grin
so says a never do well. who will still beg an Igbo for money today

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by pek(m): 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2022
It is unfortunate that this thread has been derailed. They have left rue main issue and turned it to a tribal war.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Hardfacts234(m): 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
Dsalvo:

Always playing victim as usual. Who told you I hate Igbos? It is you Igbos who claim others hate you, are inferior to you, are holding you back blah blah blah.

At some stage, Nigerians who say it as it is will challenge you to remain in exclusion, in your SE States, if you cannot get on with others and can only view them negatively and disrespectfully.

Dont remain in Lagos, Oyo, Kaduna, Kano etal shouting that Yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis etal hate you. Do something to get away from your "enemies" and spare us your hypocritical and insincere talk.

Do something to get away from your "enemies" Do you live in cave?
Have you heard about the ongoing Biafra Independence struggle being spearheaded by ipob with protests and demonstrations all over the world?

That's igbos doing something to leave their enemies.

Now what are people like you and this idio.tic priest doing to live in a society devoid of your sworn enemies(igbos) order than dishing out hate?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Benrosaria(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2022
alphaNomega:
He banned the language. That's some Nazi shit bruv

In the fuçking house of God bruv

Brother it isn’t some nazi shit. He is obviously not an igbo man and as well doesn’t smoke Igbo.

So who am I to blame him
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by mapet: 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2022
I am careful not to base by judgment of the situation of a potentially skewed reportage of the media....

Even though the beauty of worship is seen in our local dialects... but reversal of it is despicable and in bad taste. Some churches being mere association of ethic collectives and village meetings rather than true house of God. Positions and service functions ends up becoming guided by ethnicity and the place of God is relegated.... trust me such churches become spiritually stagnant...

I am an Anglican. I lived in Ikorodu till 2010. I remember when our church newly started... the then Bishop Adebiyi had cases of churches some churches with ethinic-laced challenges which was affecting its growth. He came up with creative solution - All churches stated from year 2000 upwards will conduct services in English and not any Nigerian language. Prayers and songs could be sung in any language....

My Church St. Paul's Owutu grew fast, we had a well blended congregation and we were more like family. Any time I visit Ikorodu and the church, I feel at home with people of all races, peoples, ethnicity and colours. This is what Jesus wants...

I want to give the Revd. Father a benefit of doubt that this is a typical problem he was trying to solve...

PS: If this was the "offense" does it warrant suspension? or is there something else?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 08, 2022
VULCAN:
If this is what you call a solution, I can imagine what your boss thinks of you.

So if your friend is having problems with his father and siblings, your simple solution is that he move into the smallest room in his father's house!

Solution kor, solution nee!

If my friend is a rude, divisive unreasonable and uncouth ingrate in the house he lives in with his father and sibling then he should move out to be away from them. Not rocket science.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 12:42pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ykc2:
igbos hate them selves yoruba love funsho Williams,efulefu
Na you sabi, afonfungbemu.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
Whatever! But yorr.obber mooslims are still inferior to the caliphate.
I agree, but Eboe is still Eboe.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Newton85: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
YorobaPIGS:
Good, you have no choice but to listen to me. Dimwitted abobaku skull mining pig
Okay, meth cannibal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

"They Have Used My Destiny For Money Ritual"; Nigerian Man Cries Out. Photos / Pastor Adeboye Walks 7KM With Pastors Before The Kick Off Of 65th Convention / Joshua Iginla Heals HIV+ Soldier In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.