Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish (36622 Views)

Catholic Priest, Anelu, Suspended For Banning Igbo Songs Reinstated / Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari, Followers On Rampage / Anglican Church Suspends Bishop Adepoju For Having Sex With Reverend’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by chiefobdk2: 12:45pm On Feb 08, 2022
zumbigbo:
This is funny...Was in Abidjan - Jan/21 - left my friend's bar to buy some roasted chicken, next to to Bom Pasteur Church - heard rousing voices coming from inside the packed church - heard a rousing Igbo song being sung by an Ivorian choir - I stopped still in shock - AFRICA is special.

the first time i went to Mozambique....the taxi that took me from malawi border to my destination was playing Igbo gospel music... Moçambique is a Portuguese speaking country

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by mapet: 12:47pm On Feb 08, 2022
Mzflexydeeva:
I am forced to comment. I am not saying what this priest has done is right but I can understand a bit of what he is saying. Banning is the solution rather ways to foster harmony among all tribes in the church should be sought for.

I for one, I am a catholic but going to church in Lagos has been very discouraging. I have attended a mass where the priest was practically giving sermon in Igbo. Most priest especially those from the East forget the term universal when they mount the pulpit. It’s actually discouraging when at a mass all the Igbo people are laughing over what a priest has said and you just sit there lost. If you are not Igbo sometimes going for mass is no use. Just find the readings and stay at home because you won’t enjoy mass. I am not Yoruba either but I know of a church that has Yoruba mass and others in English. So maybe having an Igbo mass strictly for igbos would help.

I agree with you. The Revd. Father being young and impulsive could have gone about it the wrong way. I see that many at times churches are using platforms which ordinarily should have served to unite the body of Christ to divide itself. I was driving along LASU-Iba road one day and I saw a sign-board "XXY IGBO-Anglican Church" I was like for Christ's sakes what is the meaning of this? If we go by the mantra Christ above all, then we will be guided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by TheOgaBoss: 12:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
Coldie:

N same people way want igbos to dae attend Christ embassy.

Igbos don’t have any major Pentecostal church in Nigeria despite igbos being a region with 98% Christian’s but we attend other peoples church no problem. But let an Igbo man start a church other tribes would start saying we are doing it for money this and that I have heard a lot of people make such remarks I just begin to look them somehow
is the Lord's chosen not a penticostal church?
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 12:56pm On Feb 08, 2022
Arijude:
go to hell !!
go and die and join ojukwu in hell

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 08, 2022
If Nigerians complaint that Igbo's are excesses. Don't you think other tribes are not doing enough to compete with them? If Igbo's were to be dominating in entertainment industry you people will still hate them for no reason. Now look at for years Yoruba are the one leading in entertainment industry and igbos are not worry.

Dsalvo:

Lol. Can you Igbos ever act educated and refined? So you have a crystal ball to read beyond what is written to somehow link Yorubas with this?

Father James Anelu has a problem with Igbo "excesses" and somehow it is Yorubas that put him up to it?

You Igbos will never heal to be better loved and accepted by fellow Nigerians because when Nigerians complain of your "excesses" the first thing you do is attack them and point fingers of blame eslewhere. Preferably at Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by mapet: 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2022
Aidejay:
Firstly I will have to fault that priest.

he didn't act in wisdom. This is something he should have asked the holy spirit to help him navigate. Not to come on the altar and start ranting.

But this is not an igbo thing, it happens in many churches.

Something similar happened in a church I attended that was made up of many Yorubas, Yoruba songs dominated but the pastor a yoruba man changed it. Now songs from other languages are being sang.

Even songs from minority tribes,
and everybody sings along and enjoys the service.

This is why I like Yorubas very accommodating people, accommodate other tribes and their cultures and sounds.

I like a diverse church but you can achieve it without coming off as an undiplomatic person.

except if he has tried previously to introduce a little mix into the church singing and the igbos refused, that doesn't justify this his overreaction.

NOW THE CHURCH IS DIVIDED.

I was in the Choir in my young days and was a lead singer in the Choir band. I remember some Igbos aunties chatted me up one day that I don't sing Igbo songs at all, I only sing English and Yoruba songs. I told them I was afraid of bastardizing the songs as I don't speak Igbo and some songs I know the tunes I mess up the lyrics. They encouraged me to learn, I got some tapes and learnt. I love the fact that many of the Igbo songs I listened to on tapes had a great blend of Tenor and Bass that makes it sound like Zulu songs.....

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2022
goaldynboy:
[/s]

Your papa, your mama, you and all your generation and your tribe are CURSED and Con
tribe that asia will soon exterminate grin grin
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by heyhey2016: 1:04pm On Feb 08, 2022
LILTJAY1:
Igbo people with their annoying attitude. .
Cursed people from hell
holy by holynnnamdi kau is another saviour. Holy holy holy
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kylekent59:

What can you say about emirate airlines?? Who are their staffs?

Go to Alaba international market and see yourba salesgirls working for an Igbo man.

Why are you Yorubas Wicked? Why causing problems?

We the northerners don't hate Igbos. You guys go online and create fake profiles with our names to attack and critisize the Igbos.

Go to trade fair markek, Alaba, computer village, and see how peaceful Hausas and Igbos are.

Enough of all the hatred!!!!!
look at this bastard hausa goat... nigeria will soon divide and we will send you to your desert region.. then we will build a border wall like that of usa to keep you there forever. .
Animals..
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by LILTJAY1: 1:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
Lewisjohnson:

Ewedu nd Amala grin
U cant continue 2 Hate de most progressive tribe in Nigeria,
I must giv all my Afonja Tenants in lagos quick Notice dis year cheesy grin cheesy
Internet money grin grin
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2022
Osagyefo98:

I don't know why an average Edo state man has so much hatred for Igbos. They go about on Facebook and Twitter creating all forms of attacks on Igbos.

Even a priest has transferred same to a church in Lagos. You just dey hate people wey no send una...I tire oohhh

Meanwhile, my attendant In foreign churches is solely based on Sunday issues.

I can't be holier than the Archbishop.
They don't hate Igbos rather they are not comfortable with the dominary force most Igbos exhibit. Imagine a Catholic church in Benin city been headed by an Igbo man whereas this is not feasible in the east if an Edo man was to head. Cut some slack and see the handwriting on the wall. More reason why the Anglican church is different in this regard
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:25pm On Feb 08, 2022
Aidejay:
Firstly I will have to fault that priest.

he didn't act in wisdom. This is something he should have asked the holy spirit to help him navigate. Not to come on the altar and start ranting.

But this is not an igbo thing, it happens in many churches.

Something similar happened in a church I attended that was made up of many Yorubas, Yoruba songs dominated but the pastor a yoruba man changed it. Now songs from other languages are being sang.

Even songs from minority tribes,
and everybody sings along and enjoys the service.

This is why I like Yorubas very accommodating people, accommodate other tribes and their cultures and sounds.

I like a diverse church but you can achieve it without coming off as an undiplomatic person.

except if he has tried previously to introduce a little mix into the church singing and the igbos refused, that doesn't justify this his overreaction.

NOW THE CHURCH IS DIVIDED.
I agree with you. That priest didn't apply wisdom however I suspect he must have cautioned the choir

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Thorondor: 1:27pm On Feb 08, 2022
edoairways:

They don't hate Igbos rather they are not comfortable with the dominary force most Igbos exhibit. Imagine a Catholic church in Benin city been headed by an Igbo man whereas this is not feasible in the east if an Edo man was to head. Cut some slack and see the handwriting on the wall. More reason why the Anglican church is different in this regard

So an Edo man who happens to be a parish priest in Lagos where he’s an inconsequential minority is not dominating the Yoruba and Igbo folk down there.
Why is he no taking care of a parish in his home state of village?
Is common sense not common to you?

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:27pm On Feb 08, 2022
mapet:

I agree with you. The Revd. Father being young and impulsive could have gone about it the wrong way. I see that many at times churches are using platforms which ordinarily should have served to unite the body of Christ to divide itself. I was driving along LASU-Iba road one day and I saw a sign-board "XXY IGBO-Anglican Church" I was like for Christ's sakes what is the meaning of this? If we go by the mantra Christ above all, then we will be guided
I saw something similar when I visited Ado Ekiti.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
Thorondor:

So an Edo man who happens to be a parish priest in Lagos where he’s an inconsequential minority is not dominating the Yoruba and Igbo folk down there.
Why is he no taking care of a parish in his home state of village?
Is common sense not common to you?
That priest didn't handle it well however it doesn't change the fact that most Igbos are dominary. They rarely consider the minorities in whatever they do. I traveled to one of the South Western States, I noticed that they have Igbo Catholic and Anglican church. So why should that happen in the first place if not for such attitude?
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by MrSwiftt: 1:33pm On Feb 08, 2022
That was a careless statement from the priest. The body of Christ is not divided. Though we are many, we are one body in Christ.

I don't think he thought those words and actions through before execution.

If you're a bench warmer, problem. If you decide to serve, wahala. Wetin man go do nah?

By the way, Excellent reaction from the Archbishop.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2022
gaftsoil:
They use igbo songs in catholic churches in over seas . E come be ordinary lagos. That priest is anti christ
That is priest is right. You sing songs not understood by all in a church? undecided undecided undecided.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by aeronot(m): 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2022
It's unfortunate his words or thoughts were spoken aloud, but I understand where is poor priest is coming from every song sang in IGBO in his parish because the choir is dominated by igbos must have ticked him off! What's the difference btw this and Nigerians complaining of Buhari's bigotry with Fulani's in key positions. It just shows that every tribe in this country is insensitive to the nxt when given a slight opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2022
Amojii:

What you said is correct but what if the other ethnics are not up to 10℅
Separate mass for them will be boring and frustrating

Let's call a spade a spade Igbo's dominants catholic church in Nigeria even in the North yoruba's have long moved to mega churches own by their Yoruba pastors

That why Igbo's do not have mega churches, well maybe only chosen

The only thing there is to learn the language and enjoy the other side of thing for ones it will not kill you.

Invariably you imply that other Catholics who are from the minority tribes should stop attending Catholic church dominated by Igbos?. It therefore means the unity preached in churches was fake then
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2022
angelfallz:
This is unfortunate.
Catholics are shooting themselves in the foot.
Things are changing, more and more young people are turning away from God and the church, yet all this priest can think about is that Igbo songs are dominating his parish. Smh.
There have been complains from other members. Restricting songs to one tribe is not healthy at all. Such parish got to mix songs that other speakers would flow. Can't you see the present gospel songs having a mixture of Igbo, Yoruba, English and pidgin?.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
juman:
He might be saying the truth.
Their leadership should look into what he claimed.

But Catholic in Nigeria are mainly igbo.
Better still it should be called Igbo Catholic church since they are majority there
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Kylekent59: 1:55pm On Feb 08, 2022
LILTJAY1:
look at this bastard hausa goat... nigeria will soon divide and we will send you to your desert region.. then we will build a border wall like that of usa to keep you there forever. .
Animals..
You are a Yoruba man. You think I don't know.

I am not going to step too low to respond to a tribal bigot like you.

I wonder why you had education in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by uche393: 1:57pm On Feb 08, 2022
in the east we sing Yoruba and even Calabar songs that i don't even know their meaning during mass

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by edoairways: 1:57pm On Feb 08, 2022
Cubalabloo:
Don't know why tribalism has eaten deep into the fabrics of 9jarians. What a disgrace to priesthood.
But the priest is right. You can't hide the fact that the issue raised by him is serious. He may be suspended however it doesn't change anything. It gives room for other Catholics who are not Igbos to nurse a grudge against the church. In some cases it might lead to division
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Gospel2Day: 2:09pm On Feb 08, 2022
mapet:

I was in the Choir in my young days and was a lead singer in the Choir band. I remember some Igbos aunties chatted me up one day that I don't sing Igbo songs at all, I only sing English and Yoruba songs. I told them I was afraid of bastardizing the songs as I don't speak Igbo and some songs I know the tunes I mess up the lyrics. They encouraged me to learn, I got some tapes and learnt. I love the fact that many of the Igbo songs I listened to on tapes had a great blend of Tenor and Bass that makes it sound like Zulu songs.....

You're right. Some Igbo songs, when harmonized sound like Zulu songs.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by juman(m): 2:18pm On Feb 08, 2022
edoairways:

Better still it should be called Igbo Catholic church since they are majority there

Hmmmm.
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Mzflexydeeva(f): 2:19pm On Feb 08, 2022
angelfallz:
It does not matter. You don't use the time allotted for English mass for Igbo mass. That is just wrong. Mzflexydeeva you see what I am saying? It is first and foremost, a mentality problem.
English mass is created so that those who don't understand the language of the community they find themselves in, can worship in English.

It does not matter if the other ethnic groups are not up to 10%

If the Igbos feel that they don't understand English or don't want to use English then they should speak with parish priest to create a time slot for Igbo mass. Then let other ethnic nationals have their English mass.

You can't because you are the majority deprive others from worshipping adequately.

I totally agree. People don’t get it. Weda it’s in the north, east, west or south no one should feel neglected at a place of worship because of language barrier.

If yorubas dominate the church create a Yoruba mass where they can all flow and same can be done for Igbo or Hausa and when it’s an English mass let’s keep it as sane as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by Bashir75: 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
chiefobdk2:

your tears is delicious.. mention me wen you or ur frienfs want to sell ur leaking grandfather hut...i mean in lagos. not in backward Osun village

I’m a self made international expert, studied abroad with the sweat and hardworking. I can buy your whole lineage factually. No be Aba and Enugu poor citizens. I’m a proud Lagosian indigene with pedigree. In Yorubaland, we no dey boast of money, because if money is all you have then you have nothing. Family, Pride in my Yorubaness and Culture is greater than money. We fall and rise together in SouthWest.

We are different from Igbo and that’s why the Lord of the Universe seperated us with no shared borders. We will never be together with them and any Yoruba who sells out will be a traitor and will be treated as such. Gerrit
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by wealthtrak: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

Yes, it's Igboland.

Ndi Igbo and transgressions

Wherever they are, their first aim is how to dominate.

This is why they shouldn't be entrusted with power.

Check what Aguyi Ironsi did just few months he was a ruler.

Check those biafra soldiers court martial by Ojukwu during the civil war, non of them are Ndi Igbo.

Check what Azikwe tried to do in Southwest (by representing the region upon the numbers of literate mind among Yorubas) before Awolowo cornered his mischievous move

Check those killed and spare by Kaduna Nzegu and Owaboshi.

They're just pretending, give power to them and be a victim of their vengeance
Just a quick correction...

Emmanuel Ifeajuna [who was Nnamdi Azikiwe's nephew] was executed in Enugu on 25 September, 1967
alongside, Victor Banjo, Phillip Alale [an Ijaw officer] and Sam Agbam on trumped up charges... claiming
they were saboteurs.

Even Nnamdi Azikiwe was close to tears in a 1983 documentary [that I saw when Shehu Shagari
passed on] where he stated that Ojukwu was RESPONSIBLE for the death of 2 of his relatives
during the 2 years 6months Nigerian Civil War and that former President Shehu Shagari
should NOT have given Col. Emeka Ojukwu a national amnesty which led him to come
back from exile and then joined the ruling NPN political party!

Olisa Agbakoba granted a 2006 interview to Punch in which he stated that a LOT of Onitsha indigenes
including himself suffered in the hands of the rebel secessionists led by Emeka Ojukwu and many of them
were thrown into prison or used as conscripted child [Olisa Akbakoba was a conscripted child soldier] and
adult soldiers probably because of the role that Obi Asika' father played [Anthony Ukpabi Asika, was
administrator of East Central State, of Nigeria during the Nigerian Civil War and the military regime
of General Yakubu Gowon]. Point is that Ibo-speaking folks also suffered in the hands of Colonel Emeka
Ojukwu and his cohorts.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by alphaNomega: 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2022
Benrosaria:

Brother it isn’t some nazi shit. He is obviously not an igbo man and as well doesn’t smoke Igbo.

So who am I to blame him

I cannot speak Nupe, did you hear me banning the language?
Re: Catholic Church Suspends Rev James Anelu For Banning Igbo Songs In Parish by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Priest want to chase Major customers of Catholic church away? cheesy. Igbos are the fuel pump of Catholic church in Nigeria take it or leave it
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Psalm 23 In Pidgin / How Adeboye's Disobedience Built A Global Brand - Leke Beecroft / Ibadan Baptist Pastor Locked Out By Church Members Over Embezzlement (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.