Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage (30318 Views)

Ladies, What Are The Qualities You Want A Man To Have Before Dating Him? / Who Is A Narcissist And How Are You Sure You Are Not Dating Or About To Date One / Ladies: This Is Why U Must Investigate A Guys Source Of Income Before Dating Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by safarigirl(f): 10:11pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

You're the one spilling trash here.
So menstruation has now been added to the list of psychological disorders according to you.
So each time your wife and sisters menstruate, they slap you? You even need the slap sef.
You really need help as your name implies.
Go get it fast.

Somebody said they "can" slap you

Do you know mood swings is part of mental health issues? Do you also know that the hormones released during menstrual period leads to mood swings?

Imagine someone laughing with you in one moment, and in the next, they are sulking. Do you not think this a symptom of bipolar disorder on the larger mental health scale?

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:14pm On Feb 09, 2022
You are really unfortunate. So because I have Asperger's syndrome (ASD), I SHOULD NEVER GET MARRIED?
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2022
nighter:

Eeya. You know nothing about people with mental health issues. These category of people are better off not getting married cos they're toxic. They shouldn't bear children too cos their genes may be passed on to their child/children, down to their generation.

What do you know about narcissism or psychopathy or sociopathy or borderline disorder?

Your ignorance is VERY obvious on the page. I just pray one of your children doesn't end up with any mental issues, else karma would really show you up

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by SugarGirl44(f): 10:18pm On Feb 09, 2022
TheFutureIsHere:
how can a doctor see a doctor who does that undecided
You're obviously a quack!
You need to see a real one.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by omolola12345(m): 10:20pm On Feb 09, 2022
Before you talk about mental health. Please talk about your country first. Hardship, poverty and related factors are associated with mental health.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:21pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

Of course they can marry but they shouldn't be selfish to not seek professional help before settling down thereby bothering another person's child to be stressed for life.
Or their parents should do the needful to care for their problematic child before releasing them to the public.
Life is hard enough, nobody needs to add another person's curable disorder to theirs.

Curable disorders? Haha! It gets funnier with you.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

So you've dated/been with 90% of Nigerian girls, that's around say, 30million girls.
Wow!

Let me get your maths straight, my dear. So Nigeria with a population of 200 million people with half the population (a little more than half actually) being female, and 90% of that amount is what you found to be 30 million! Wow! Not only are you a narcissist, you also are incredibly dull.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by TheFutureIsHere: 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

You're obviously a quack!
You need to see a real one.
then why do Ladies come to me for Abortion.. because the Ladies i help evacuate their unborn babies told them that i can do better.
I don't even have a signboard oo, but my work is bringing me enough customers undecided
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:29pm On Feb 09, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

So, in summary, people should start settling for mentally unstable people in order to understand how to handle such in case it gets worse in the index relationship or subsequent ones grin grin
Please go back to your write up again?

The fact that you don't, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't. What else, you also think disabled people shouldn't get married? People of certain ethnicities shouldn't get married? Only "Normal" people should get married. Careful now, you're beginning to sound a lot like Hitler.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Bobbiee: 10:32pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

You're saying something entirely different here.
Hormonal changes and psychological/personality disorders are not in the same category at all.
Or have you heard of menstruating women misbehaving to the point of being violent on their partners?

Jeez. Your intelligence is so on the low end. How do you cope with daily life being so unintelligent. Do you eat out of a straw?
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 10:40pm On Feb 09, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:
https://www.nairaland.com/6978056/lady-murdered-boyfriend-dumped-body

The thread link above shows exactly why everyone must compel themselves to carry out some very important mental check of whom they are interested in dating or get married to.

A Mental health disorder is not outright madness... people who suffer from bad mental issues may appear like every other normal person you meet on a day to day basis, but they actually have mental health issues.
What aspect of that story leads you to conclude that the murder was a result of mental illness? undecided

This one no be wicked leap on your part so? undecided
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by SugarGirl44(f): 10:42pm On Feb 09, 2022
Bobbiee:

Let me get your maths straight, my dear. So Nigeria with a population of 200 million people with half the population (a little more than half actually) being female, and 90% of that amount is what you found to be 30 million! Wow! Not only are you a narcissist, you also are incredibly dull.
I left out females children and teenagers, also old women to arrive at that estimate.
So you're the slowpoke here.
Or did you add 5 year old girls to the women your were referring to?
Trying so hard to sound smart but in the process displaying your stupidity.
Go take your night drugs and sleep jor.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by sslcrypt: 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2022
Very interesting topic, that should be used to sensitize Nigerians. In some cases characteristics that appear to be anomaly can be converted and used for a purpose. For example back in high school a close friend was been bullied by a well known bully. I subconsciously defended my friend by striking the bully severally, during detention he wanted to have a go and got same treatment.
Fast forward to university, there were these headhunters from the military sector. I enlisted but during the assessment process they realized I had a unique mindset different from the entire applicants. This started my journey in the security field. Why am I saying all these? My dad always got mad at me because I hardly smile and was always drawn to myself, so they felt I had a disorder.
But the fact was that personality had a layer it was covering, going through the security program unlocked it. Everything started making sense, from the bullies I took on back in high school to the nasty individuals. Assuming I listened to my parents opinion, that would have broken me negatively, which would have turned positive potential into negative ones.
My advice is for people to take a psych evaluation test, it will go a long way to identify what part of the spectrum you stand.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by SugarGirl44(f): 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2022
Bobbiee:

Jeez. Your intelligence is so on the low end. How do you cope with daily life being so unintelligent. Do you eat out of a straw?
Where did this cretin crawl out from?
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Feb 09, 2022
sslcrypt:
My advice is for people to take a psych evaluation test, it will go a long way to identify what part of the spectrum you stand.
I can assure you that we'll over 95% of Nigerians, including those you know, have struggled with or continue to struggle with one mental illness or another. undecided

Mental illness isn't something that only a few struggle with, and yes we all exist at most moments of our existence on one point or another on the spectrum. So when people like the OP make ridiculous claims such as the one made here, I only wonder what mental insecurity he is himself currently dealing with that leads him to make such ignorant declarations. undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by SOFTENGR: 11:12pm On Feb 09, 2022
Imagine dating an APC urchin. E don be for you.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by ASHTAROTH: 11:13pm On Feb 09, 2022
OandA777:

I know what schizophrenia is trust me. You're the confused one. What you wrote about your girl does not mean she has schizophrenia. You actually need to read more about it. I rest my case.

What I wrote was only a minute detail of what happened. I don't have to argue with you- you were not there and you obviously don't know about this. She was diagnosed twice!
Rest your case and stop saying what you don't know.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Nobody: 11:20pm On Feb 09, 2022
SugarGirl44:

You're saying something entirely different here.
Hormonal changes and psychological/personality disorders are not in the same category at all.
Or have you heard of menstruating women misbehaving to the point of being violent on their partners?
Actually it’s the same difference and a good example and yes some menstruating women have been violent.You really need to accept that you do not know much on this topic.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 11:23pm On Feb 09, 2022
ASHTAROTH:
Dated one,
Schizophrenic

She would accuse me of being a cultist,
Fights everyone including her mom. Always paranoid. Unfortunately, the parents didn't seek medical help on time - instead, they took her to some celestial church where they kept her for 3 months. It became even worse.

I saw hell sha
Schizophrenia is actually a manageable condition and those who get good treatment thrive and sour in society. Sadly, your gal happened upon someone like you and her parents is what. undecided

Note: mentally ill individuals aren't violent nor do they spend their time plotting ways to destroy others. Instead, they are caught up trying to make sense sense the jumble that is there mind that is why they tend to be disconnected in their reasoning from time to time. undecided

You say you saw hell with the gal, but have you ever wondered how much confusion you may have added to her existence by your being a part of her life? undecided

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 11:24pm On Feb 09, 2022
Tutu82:

Actually it’s the same difference and a good example and yes some menstruating women have been violent.You really need to accept that you do not know much on this topic.
There is no evidence to tie violence to hormonal changes that take place in menstruating women abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by jaxxy(m): 12:04am On Feb 10, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:
https://www.nairaland.com/6978056/lady-murdered-boyfriend-dumped-body

The thread link above shows exactly why everyone must compel themselves to carry out some very important mental check of whom they are interested in dating or get married to.

A Mental health disorder is not outright madness... people who suffer from bad mental issues may appear like every other normal person you meet on a day to day basis, but they actually have mental health issues.

By definition mental health refers to cognitive, behavioral, and emotional well-being. It is all about how people think, feel, and behave. People sometimes use the term “mental health” to mean the absence of a mental disorder.

“Mental health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”

The most common types of mental illness are as follows:

anxiety disorders
mood disorders
schizophrenia disorders

I can categorically tell you that it is a big risk dating anyone who has got mental health disorder. They can be very dangerous. Check well before dating.

You can do further research on the subject.

Not everybody who attacks their partner has a real/medical diagnosable mental disorder. Many are questionable personality traits bt these partners overlook it and think it’s just how they are. It actually a time bomb waiting for the right trigger than anything normal.

Emotional balance and temperament are key markers and culprits in such cases. The good part is they can be helped once they are confronted and given appropriate guidance and direction.

Anger applied wrongly can cause a lot of damage.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 10, 2022
Kobojunkie:
There is no evidence to tie violence to hormonal changes that take place in menstruating women abeg! undecided
hormonal changes in the menstrual cycle (fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone levels) affect the mood of women and trigger negative emotions such as anger and irritability.
Serotonin levels in your brain may change as your menstrual period approaching. Serotonin is a brain chemical that's responsible for mood.Everyone is affected differently.
You are welcome.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 12:37am On Feb 10, 2022
Tutu82:

hormonal changes in the menstrual cycle (fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone levels) affect the mood of women and trigger negative emotions such as anger and irritability.
Serotonin levels in your brain may change as your menstrual period approaching. Serotonin is a brain chemical that's responsible for mood.Everyone is affected differently.
You are welcome.
It is still a leap to link these hormonal and chemical mood changes to violence. Anger and irritability rarely lead or cause violence. Instead violence is a choice made. undecided
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by smile11s(m): 12:41am On Feb 10, 2022
Help2020:

The idiot is very stupid to be honest. So has opinion now is that those suffering from his listed mental disorder should not get married.

The matter tire me. Can you imagine such a comment
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by ASHTAROTH: 12:43am On Feb 10, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Schizophrenia is actually a manageable condition and those who get good treatment thrive and sour in society. Sadly, your gal happened upon someone like you and her parents is what. undecided

Note: mentally ill individuals aren't violent nor do they spend their time plotting ways to destroy others. Instead, they are caught up trying to make sense sense the jumble that is there mind that is why they tend to be disconnected in their reasoning from time to time. undecided

You say you saw hell with the gal, but have you ever wondered how much confusion you may have added to her existence by your being a part of her life? undecided

Manageable if diagnosed early.
I was supportive. I was always there for her but her parents �
They were unnecessarily difficult, so much for being vastly educated and highly placed in the society. They turned diabolical. Instead of allowing her to use her medicines, they took it away from her. They forced her to stay in a celestial church for 3 months. I was always traveling from Delta to Lagos every weekend. They stopped me from communicating or seeing her as well...
See ehn there's a lot and stuffs
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 12:49am On Feb 10, 2022
ASHTAROTH:
1. Manageable if diagnosed early.
2. I was supportive. I was always there for her but her parents � They were unnecessarily difficult, so much for being vastly educated and highly placed in the society. They turned diabolical. Instead of allowing her to use her medicines, they took it away from her. They forced her to stay in a celestial church for 3 months. I was always traveling from Delta to Lagos every weekend. They stopped me from communicating or seeing her as well...
See ehn there's a lot and stuffs
1. Regardless of when it was diagnosed, it can still be managed. It is never too late to attempt to improve one's quality of life. undecided

2. It is a curse for anyone with mental struggles to end up in the hands of ignorant caregivers, I tell you. How is that girl doing now? undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by tiswell(m): 1:15am On Feb 10, 2022
ASHTAROTH:
Dated one,
Schizophrenic

She would accuse me of being a cultist,
Fights everyone including her mom. Always paranoid. Unfortunately, the parents didn't seek medical help on time - instead, they took her to some celestial church where they kept her for 3 months. It became even worse.

I saw hell sha
be grateful for your life grin
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Nobody: 2:24am On Feb 10, 2022
Bobbiee:

Your ignorance is VERY obvious on the page. I just pray one of your children doesn't end up with any mental issues, else karma would really show you up

Ta. It's mostly genetic. If it runs in your family na you sabi
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 10, 2022
safarigirl:

You would not know a mentally unstable person if you saw them.

Honest question, if you meet someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, how would you know? If you meet someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, how would you know?

I am genuinely curious, based on your research, can you spot someone with ADHD? And would you be able to tell the difference between OCD and NPD?

OCD and NPD are stark different. Haba. You can't put the two in the same box. Do your research well.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Nobody: 2:52am On Feb 10, 2022
Bobbiee:
You are really unfortunate. So because I have Asperger's syndrome (ASD), I SHOULD NEVER GET MARRIED?

Asperger's is more of a neurodevelopment disorder than a personality disorder.
Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by Kobojunkie: 3:59am On Feb 10, 2022
nighter:
Eeya. You know nothing about people with specific mental health issues. These category of people are better off not getting married cos they're toxic. They shouldn't bear children too cos their genes may be passed on to their child/children, down to their generation.

What do you know about narcissism or psychopathy or sociopathy or borderline disorder?
Yet time and time again, the very class of people have proven themselves of greater worth to you and all of humanity combined? undecided

The Association between mental disorders and Geniuses

These same class of people whose genes you denigrate have shown themselves to be superior in all other areas than those of you who pretend to have none of their problems, yet you persist in thinking they are toxic and not worth marrying? undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Must Evaluate A Person's Mental Health Before Dating Or Marriage by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:33am On Feb 10, 2022
TheABOMINATION:
This should serve as a lesson to Nigerian girls that insist on dating a muscled guy instead of a man with big stomach, you will have to take the good with the bad that accompanies it.

One pot-belly guy spotted grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top Seven Reasons Why Broke Guys Should Not Date. / Should I Breakup With My Girlfriend Due To Old Flames? / When A Girl Calls A Guy Her Bestie What Does She Mean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.