Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? (25302 Views)

How Do You Manage With A Wasteful Over Sabi Wife / How Do You Manage To Keep Up With All Of These? / Bachelors, How Do You Manage Marriage Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
darediamond:

Whenever you are ready to go for a WI d turbine which you can actually Build and install yourself, never buy Vertical Wind Turbine!!

Never.
Buy only Axial Wind Turbine only.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20220314060624&SearchText=axial+wind+turbine

the terminology is all arcane to me so apologies in advance if I ask silly questions. If I get you correctly, you are advising against the first pic and recommending the second pic right?

Why do you recommend them? I want to understand the rationale. Is it because they can work in confined spaces?

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 8:04am On Mar 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

the terminology is all arcane to me so apologies in advance if I ask silly questions. If I get you correctly, you are advising against the first pic and recommending the second pic right?

Why do you recommend them? I want to understand the rationale. Is it because they can work in confined spaces?
Yes, and far far efficient than the verticals fitted blade.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by mikylon(m): 10:26am On Mar 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I'm already researching that! I've seen a small wind turbine somewhere in Lagos that seems to be charging the inverter that powers the traffic and street lights somewhere on the island. Do you have any idea about wind turbines?

I have a friend that has that combination of solar and wind turbine recently installed. I am Just observing the performance over a space of 6month to know if it's worth going for it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 10:35am On Mar 15, 2022
mikylon:

I have a friend that has that combination of solar and wind turbine recently installed. I am Just observing the performance over a space of 6month to know if it's worth going for it.

So what metrics will you be observing? I ask because I often don't like to rely on qualitative data or people's gut feelings of "It's working but not very well". Or "It's working but it depends..."
It would be nice to take some measurment over the period. Something like wind speed, wind direction blah blah blah...I don't know
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 11:05am On Mar 15, 2022
mikylon:

How much did he get the wind turbines?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by mikylon(m): 11:30am On Mar 15, 2022
Rubyjade:
How much did he get the wind turbines?

He got the 500kwatt for 400k via jumia

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by mikylon(m): 11:34am On Mar 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

So what metrics will you be observing? I ask because I often don't like to rely on qualitative data or people's gut feelings of "It's working but not very well". Or "It's working but it depends..."
It would be nice to take some measurment over the period. Something like wind speed, wind direction blah blah blah...I don't know

It will be based on his feedback. Things like ability to sustain and maintain power supply all through the night, particularly during periods of low sunlight intensity. Most time his 4 batteries quite before 4am when he was on solar panels alone (off grid).
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 11:41am On Mar 15, 2022
mikylon:

It will be based on his feedback. Things like ability to sustain and maintain power supply all through the night, particularly during periods of low sunlight intensity. Most time his 4 batteries quite before 4am when he was on solar panels alone (off grid).

We are in this same 4am boat lol. Actually it's been 2:30am to 6am! I will really be interested in his feedback
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

This was just the batteries or did it include inverter?

Everything.
Solar inverter
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 11:50am On Mar 16, 2022
Years ago, almost every house was dependent on the water corporation for water; now almost everyone has boreholes. Same trend seems to be repeating itself with electricity. https://www.nairaland.com/7420915/smj-concept-mini-solar-grid
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Ethnan: 11:59am On Mar 17, 2022
If you need any quantity of disk neodymium magnet to build your fuelless generator, you can message me. We send to any part of Nigeria.

Available specifications:
1. 10mmx50mm/axially magnetized/coated with nickel/zinc-N5,000 per piece
2. 20mmx50mm/axially magnetized/coated with nickel/zinc-N8,000 per piece

These are excellent grades. Please drop me a DM if you are interested.

Kind Regards
Engr. Ethnan

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 8:40pm On Mar 18, 2022
Abeg senior comrades, help me suggest. I really want to switch completely to solar. My light bills and what I actually get to use do not correlate anymore.
What would you recommend for:
a wall fan of 48W and a
home theater (I can't remember the power consumption rate)
5 energy saving bulbs
A laptop
A phone
43" smart TV and
A decoder
And a video game console.
What solar settings should I go for to stay completely off grid and what would be the total estimate?

Cc: Rubyjade
Tetralogyfallot
Darediamond

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 8:20am On Mar 19, 2022
uniqUN:
Abeg senior comrades, help me suggest. I really want to switch completely to solar. My light bills and what I actually get to use do not correlate anymore.
a wall fan of 48W and a
5 energy saving bulbs
A laptop
A phone
43" smart TV and
A decoder
What solar settings should I go for to stay completely off grid and what would be the total estimate?

Tetralogyfallot
Darediamond
1.5KVA is okay except you got cash then go for 2kva

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 2:37pm On Mar 19, 2022
Rubyjade:
1.5KVA is okay except you got cash then go for 2kva

OK then. Thanks for the reply smiley
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 9:02pm On Mar 19, 2022
uniqUN:
a wall fan of 48W and a
5 energy saving bulbs
A laptop
A phone
43" smart TV and
A decoder

Tetralogyfallot
Darediamond
If you are to Power all these listed Electronic Devices at ago, you will consume at least 500W of Power. Thus Get A 1000Watt or 1KW 12V/24V PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER on www.aliexpress.com

You need MPPT Solar Controller which you need to buy on aliexpress to. The controller rating should be at least 50Amps at 48V input.

As for your Solar Panels, get them locally. Only Buy Monocrystaline Solar Panels of say 320Watt X 2 or 3 or 4 depending on your pocket. If you reside in IBADAN, You can get for #66K 320W 36V Monocrystaline Solar Panels.

Never Buy Sealed Lead Acid Battery nor Gel Battery. Go for Lithium Phosphate Batteries. You can get a Protected 24V 100Ah Lithium Phosphate Battery Pack on www.aliexpress.com too.

Goodluck..

I

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2022
darediamond:

If you are to Power all these listed Electronic Devices at ago, you will consume at least 500W of Power. Thus Get A 1000Watt or 1KW 12V/24V PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER on www.aliexpress.com

You need MPPT Solar Controller which you need to buy on aliexpress to. The controller rating should be at least 50Amps at 48V input.

As for your Solar Panels, get them locally. Only Buy Monocrystaline Solar Panels of say 320Watt X 2 or 3 or 4 depending on your pocket. If you reside in IBADAN, You can get for #66K 320W 36V Monocrystaline Solar Panels.

Never Buy Sealed Lead Acid Battery nor Gel Battery. Go for Lithium Phosphate Batteries. You can get a Protected 24V 100Ah Lithium Phosphate Battery Pack on www.aliexpress.com too.

Goodluck..

I
Ps: sorry for the late reply. Na the same power issue.
Wow! This is very informative, boss. Thanks a lot for your help. I really do appreciate it smiley

Modified: I found this https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK6wUtE
It has good reviews from Nigerians and other users from other countries. My concern now is the specification. Although, I would like to go for the 2200W (in case I add further load, say a deep freezer) or the 3000W. But what voltage and frequency should I go for? I'm not a tech person. Should I go for 12V or 24V and 50Hz or 60Hz for the 2200W?

As for the MPPT, I found this https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0zZFNQ
It seems to be the one with the highest rating. Although, some of the reviewers have concerns after use but some good number of the reviewers says it's OK. Again, which of the specifications should I go for for a, say, SINE WAVE of 2200W at 24V/50Hz? Should I still go for your recommendation of 48V at 50A or... 48V at 60A?

Then, I noticed the SINE WAVE has either 12V or 24V options. No 36V or 48V. Hope say I no go hear "KABOOOM!!!" if I connect 48V/60A MPPT to a 12V or 24V SINE WAVE? grin grin I'll get a professional installer though

For the panels, I'll definitely go for your recommendation but will two 320W panels serve a 2200W SINE WAVE? I don't know if I'm asking the right question.

For the batteries, the term pack just confuse me finish grin If it means the battery itself, is it possible to get it here in the country with 100% reliability? The shipping cost just looks as though na nuclear plant I wan import grin grin grin

I be total novice in this so please excuse my questions and jargons boss
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 2:01pm On Mar 20, 2022
uniqUN:

Ps: sorry for the late reply. Na the same power issue.
Wow! This is very informative, boss. Thanks a lot for your help. I really do appreciate it smiley

Modified: I found this https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK6wUtE
It has good reviews from Nigerians and other users from other countries. My concern now is the specification. Although, I would like to go for the 2200W (in case I add further load, say a deep freezer) or the 3000W. But what voltage and frequency should I go for? I'm not a tech person. Should I go for 12V or 24V and 50Hz or 60Hz for the 2200W?

As for the MPPT, I found this https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0zZFNQ
It seems to be the one with the highest rating. Although, some of the reviewers have concerns after use but some good number of the reviewers says it's OK. Again, which of the specifications should I go for for a, say, SINE WAVE of 2200W at 24V/50Hz? Should I still go for your recommendation of 48V at 50A or... 48V at 60A?

Then, I noticed the SINE WAVE has either 12V or 24V options. No 36V or 48V. Hope say I no go hear "KABOOOM!!!" if I connect 48V/60A MPPT to a 12V or 24V SINE WAVE? grin grin I'll get a professional installer though

For the panels, I'll definitely go for your recommendation but will two 320W panels serve a 2200W SINE WAVE? I don't know if I'm asking the right question.

For the batteries, the term pack just confuse me finish grin If it means the battery itself, is it possible to get it here in the country with 100% reliability? The shipping cost just looks as though na nuclear plant I wan import grin grin grin

I be total novice in this so please excuse my questions and jargons boss
Inverters painted in Red or Wine Color are usually MODIFIED SINE WAVE!! Do not Buy That. GO for either Black or Blue Shell colored ones.

If you notice, my earlier reply was short as there are other things I want to call peoples attention to. But type sucks. So do reach me on 0seven06fiftyseven8569.

I asked you to call me so as to give you other options available and how you can as well reduce cost.

I did not ask you to call me for any personal gains whatsoever oooo.

I am using Solar In My Home not NEPA at. And it is opened for viewing via Whatapp if you like.

Please find the shipping fee for the battery. Never buy Lead Acid Battery, deep or not. It amounts to being wasteful in this Era buying SLA battery when the SUPER EFFECIENT and EFFECTIVE LITHIUM PHOSPHATE BATTERY ARE AVAILABLE NOW IN THE MARKET.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 2:48pm On Mar 20, 2022
darediamond:

Inverters painted in Red or Wine Color are usually MODIFIED SINE WAVE!! Do not Buy That. GO for either Black or Blue Shell colored ones.

If you notice, my earlier reply was short as there are other things I want to call peoples attention to. But type sucks. So do reach me on 0seven06fiftyseven8569.

I asked you to call me so as to give you other options available and how you can as well reduce cost.

I did not ask you to call me for any personal gains whatsoever oooo.

I am using Solar In My Home not NEPA at. And it is opened for viewing via Whatapp if you like.

Please find the shipping fee for the battery. Never buy Lead Acid Battery, deep or not. It amounts to being wasteful in this Era buying SLA battery when the SUPER EFFECIENT and EFFECTIVE LITHIUM PHOSPHATE BATTERY ARE AVAILABLE NOW IN THE MARKET.

Thanks a lot. Will get in touch.

Modified :
Couldn't reach you. It says number not available
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by tetralogyfallot(m): 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
uniqUN:
a wall fan of 48W and a
5 energy saving bulbs
A laptop
A phone
43" smart TV and
A decoder

Tetralogyfallot
Darediamond
1.5kva pure sine wave 24v inverter, 2pcs of 220ah tubular batteries, 60amps pwm solar charge controller if u r bouyant enough we can use mppt, 6pcs of 250watts solar panels. This will get d job done.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2022
uniqUN:

Thanks a lot. Will get in touch.

Modified :
Couldn't reach you. It says number not available
Let me have yours.

Mine remains( o seven o, sixty, 57 eigth five 69)
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 6:59pm On Mar 20, 2022
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by darediamond(m): 7:04pm On Mar 20, 2022
Ethnan:
If you need any quantity of disk neodymium magnet to build your fuelless generator, you can message me. We send to any part of Nigeria.

Available specifications:
1. 10mmx50mm/axially magnetized/coated with nickel/zinc-N5,000 per piece
2. 20mmx50mm/axially magnetized/coated with nickel/zinc-N8,000 per piece

These are excellent grades. Please drop me a DM if you are interested.

Kind Regards
Engr. Ethnan

N52 or N38 magnets?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 9:01pm On Mar 20, 2022
tetralogyfallot:
1.5kva pure sine wave 24v inverter, 2pcs of 220ah tubular batteries, 60amps pwm solar charge controller if u r bouyant enough we can use mppt, 6pcs of 250watts solar panels. This will get d job done.

Wow. Thanks a lot for this boss. But the tubular batteries, are they in the same category as the lithium phosphate battery? Then, can 4 pcs of 320W panels serve for the 1.5kva inverter or they must equal in amount?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by tetralogyfallot(m): 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2022
uniqUN:

Wow. Thanks a lot for this boss. But the tubular batteries, are they in the same category as the lithium phosphate battery? Then, can 4 pcs of 320W panels serve for the 1.5kva inverter or they must equal in amount?
they are not the same bro, lithium is very expensive bro, but it's worth it cos it has a very good longevity. Tubular batteries are not as good as lithium but they are okay too especially if u have a good solar array. 4pcs of 320watts is very very okay, thats each battery has around 640watts. Don't compromise on the charge controller. Sometimes people spend huge amount of money on batteries and panels and forget to complement it with a very good charge controller. Try use an mppt.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by uniqUN(m): 5:44am On Mar 21, 2022
tetralogyfallot:
they are not the same bro, lithium is very expensive bro, but it's worth it cos it has a very good longevity. Tubular batteries are not as good as lithium but they are okay too especially if u have a good solar array. 4pcs of 320watts is very very okay, thats each battery has around 640watts. Don't compromise on the charge controller. Sometimes people spend huge amount of money on batteries and panels and forget to complement it with a very good charge controller. Try use an mppt.
Thanks a lot for this
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 1:09pm On Mar 21, 2022
darediamond:

Goodluck..

I
Okay
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 10:40am On Mar 22, 2022
tetralogyfallot:
Why tubular batteries

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by tetralogyfallot(m): 3:04pm On Mar 22, 2022
Rubyjade:
Why tubular batteries
they have better longevity than flat plate.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2022
tetralogyfallot:
they have better longevity than flat plate.
hmmmmm
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by tetralogyfallot(m): 7:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
Rubyjade:
hmmmmm
sure they have better longevity
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by brijibs: 10:19am On Mar 24, 2022
Rubyjade:
What I m saying buy what you can afford.

Good morning. Please, can you suggest a solar setup for a self-contained apartment to power a 32" TV, decoder, rechargeable fan, phones and laptops?
I was considering the attached product, what do you think?
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.