Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? (25322 Views)

How Do You Manage With A Wasteful Over Sabi Wife / How Do You Manage To Keep Up With All Of These? / Bachelors, How Do You Manage Marriage Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Hybrid600: 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
Just switch to solar / inverter way..

Abuja / 9ja as a whole, you can contact me to know more. We sell and install good quality products.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by BabaO2: 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
jaeyking:

Yea old prepaid meter

Not this new consuming type
You are lucky
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 2:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Solar Energy is the best!!!!
No noise
No abnormal billing
No repairs or maintenance

How do U mean, no maintenance)?

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:36pm On Mar 13, 2022
Fridge. - always off @night.

Washing machine - 11am to 3pm.

1HP pumping machine - withing 11am to 2pm Sunny days
Calmdancer21:

2hp inverter Ac x1
1.5hp inverter Ac x 3
4 water heating unit
One Fridge
Automatic washing machine
Water dispenser

What I quoted will not do the job, with the appliances you mentioned, I suggest you bypass some appliances.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Sunny2034: 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
I put my fridge and deep freezer off over night (9pm to 7am) This works because we have regular power - minimum 8 hours - during the day

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Okay! I usually advise change of batteries after 4yrs.

Do you have any idea about wind mills?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 2:42pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

2 batteries on 3.5kva? E dey last?

As long as you don't abuse or overload it, it lasts. The only heavy equipment I use on solar is my inverter freezer, my airconditioning is bypassed

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:44pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

How do U mean, no maintenance)?
Have you had cause to get a technician to come check or clean the solar
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:46pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Do you have any idea about wind mills?
No
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by AbuAeesha: 2:47pm On Mar 13, 2022
Gerryoriflame:
Solar still remain the best.

Npk solar
do you have idea on cost of solar
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by NoToPile: 2:49pm On Mar 13, 2022
3W bulbs around the house
Put lights off during the day
Freezer on most times
Fan only when necessary

We bought just 10 pieces a pack of the 3w bulb when our prepaid was installed but that bulb surprised me very bright. Ctorch, very tiny bulb oo was a bit pricey then sha. Will still use it to replace the remaining spiral bulbs in the house.

The down side is these ekedc people even after our landlord sent money to pay half of the bill (which was incurred before we got there) and apply for adjustment as the BM said and that debt will be cleared, 6 months later nothing nothing only for us to load last week they gave us half.

These people added the bills of the 4 months we didn't have transformer to the bill, they didn't bring the bills during the blackout they know we would have complained, immediately the transformer was repaired they brought that current bill and we saw over 80k difference between the last bill brought and the current one by this time free prepaid had come and we went to register for it.

Complained to the BM and he acknowledged the marketers shouldn't have billed when our transformer was dead for months, he sha said to solve it we pay have and then apply for adjustment we paid the bulk sum and then applied for adjustment with hopes it will be resolved, we even visited the office again they said it will take like one month.

we used light for about 2 - 3 weeks, Then the transformer blew again, another round of darkness, September - February, they sha managed to bring another one this February, we had 180 units remaining we bought then, oya let's recharge and we got half the value, what happened, back to their office again, long story short seemed they didn't even treat the damn thing since august last year.

I should check back in a month but till then we would be getting half worth of units purchased. angry

I feel Prepaid is still better than estimated bills especially in areas that have stable light.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Have you had cause to get a technician to come check or clean the solar

Every 6months, my technician tops up my battery acid and do blow out on d inverter.
That can be done annually, but I chose to do mine bi-annually. 20k per visit

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:53pm On Mar 13, 2022
AbuAeesha:

do you have idea on cost of solar
depending your choice
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

Every 6months, my technician tops up my battery acid and do blow out on d inverter.
That can be done annually, but I chose to do mine bi-annually. 20k per visit
it's because of the type of batteries you are using.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by MemoriesAndMe: 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

NAA, if solar no dey, I just charged for 1 to 2hrs hours with NEPA whenever they are available and disconnect. NEPA charges batteries pretty fast. I haven't touched generator for 3yrs
I appreciate your inputs bro, I learned a lot. Thanks
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
it's because of the type of batteries you are using.

Am using wet cell

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:56pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

Am using wet cell
No wonder just like I stated earlier any solar set up battery na Koko go for German or American batteries, expensive but worth it.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by mrksquare: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:
I am just curious with the disco tariff on energy consumption, if one is not careful the cost of buying energy will be competing with rent. I have seen apartments that share prepaid meter and all parties involved agreed to only use energy /light during the night or weekend, so they disconnect from disco during day.
I was like there could be a better way to manage energy consumption. If you have an alternative way pls. share and let's benefit from it.

All my bulbs are energy efficient. Beside, i ensure that the moment the content in my fridge gets frozen I put off the fridge. Any bulb not in use must be put off. I'm making move to overhaul all my electronics. They are over 10years and they consume much energy when compared to latest electronics in market.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

6 panels. 4 batteries. I'm looking to switch to Lithium batteries. 2 year plan is to save enough to buy 2 Tesla Powerwalls.

Tesla Powerwalls in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by AbuAeesha: 3:03pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
depending your choice
like a fridge 250litres,one mini washing machine, 1 fan,tv and fee bulbs
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Is it sufficient enough to fully charge the battery banks EVERYDAY? Just this week were there was cloud cover I had outages due to insufficient charge

If U use 300watts panels, at least 6 of them. Just a little heat is enough to charge them. During the rainy season, they will charge but at a slow rate, so U reduce usage, and recharge with NEPA as NEPA improves a little bit during rainy season
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Herbephe1(m): 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
BelovedofLord:
GET A PREPAID METER!

AND, ENROL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION COURSE 101!!

SEE MY SIGNATURE!!!
How much does it require to get meter
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Grupo(m): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
loswhite:
I don't have prepaid yet but BEDC is around 59 naira per kilowatt. It is about 16.9 unit

That's still cheaper than what we pay in the East. From my estimates, we pay around 65 naira per kilowatt.

I think EEDC charges the highest in the whole country.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
YeyeGbami:
Very crazy, i’m in a High Demand area according to them na like 50 to 55Naira per unit Kw/h. If i buy 20K e no dey pass 15days unless the light no steady.

As per management.
Use AC only if necessary and if you leave am for lowest temp na gbese cos the compressor go just dey blast dey go.

Use gas instead of electricity for cooking and baking etc.

If you have Water dispenser, switch on when you need cold or hot water. Gone are those days when you will just leave it on.

Switch all bulbs to energy saver, and switch of when not in use.

TV also has setting where you can reduce the brightness to save power. use Eco mode.

Appliance on standby still draw electricity, so switch them off completely if not in use.

If you have pumping machine, better to convert it to automatic so it pumps whenever it get to a preset level. That way you’d be saving electricity instead of waiting till the tank is almost empty or some people will leave it on and waste both water and electricity.

If you have inverter, and you like to waste the battery instead of saving it. You will spend more electricity to charge it back to 100%.

If you get money you can buy led light that have motion sensor/detector for your yard

Wetin remain sef, if you’re the head of house don’t even try to leave these responsibilities for your wife or kids cos they won’t manage it like you wey dey buy the token.

Always educated them on how to manage electricity, otherwise you go just dey see your meter blinking red and making that stupid beep beep noise.

Lastly, don’t get tempted to bypass because if disco catch you. it will hurt like bee sting.

Ire o!

Almost the same thing with mine @56.4/KWh is not funny how does someone deal with the very hot weather?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by loswhite(m): 3:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
Grupo:

That's still cheaper than what we pay in the East. From my estimates, we pay around 65 naira per kilowatt.

I think EEDC charges the highest in the whole country.
A stable power is far cheaper than running Petrol or diesel Engines. Let them make it available and we will pay and manage our consumption.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 3:14pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

If U use 300watts panels, at least 6 of them. Just a little heat is enough to charge them. During the rainy season, they will charge but at a slow rate, so U reduce usage, and complement with NEPA as NEPA improves a little bit during rainy season

I've not used NEPA since November. They said my October bill was ₦151k. I no gree pay. Dem cut me still bring Bill in December of ₦160k with zero consumption. Brought bill of ₦320k last week

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 3:16pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ovaltine:

Tesla Powerwalls in Nigeria?

Yes o. I'm ready to save well for it. Highest na 16 hours working for a year with side gigs.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 3:16pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I've not used NEPA since November. They said my October bill was ₦151k. I no gree pay. Dem cut me still bring Bill in December of ₦160k with zero consumption. Brought bill of ₦320k last week

Sorry, I meant recharge not complement
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 3:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
mrksquare:

All my bulbs are energy efficient. Beside, i ensure that the moment the content in my fridge gets frozen I put off the fridge. Any bulb not in use must be put off. I'm making move to overhaul all my electronics. They are over 10years and they consume much energy when compared to latest electronics in market.

Is your fridge an inverter fridge? Because I don't see the advantage of turning of the fridge. I understand that turning of the fridge will reduce consumption but then there is a risk of the food thawing. And the temperature variation from frozen to thawing back to frozen is not particularly good for the good
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by MrCamron(m): 3:21pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
No wonder just like I stated earlier any solar set up battery na Koko go for German or American batteries, expensive but worth it.

For Solar batteries, you should try Amaron quanta.
I use the 12v 200AH type.
I have been using this set of batteries since 2019 to power my 5 bedroom duplex,they are still functioning like newly bought batteries.

A unit price then was 160k, I don't know about now.

Tip: Try as much as possible not to be charging any type/kind of inverter batteries using a generator,except in a situation you can't afford not to. That's a tip I have always adhered to since 2012 when I got back to Nigeria to use solar/inverter to power my house.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by YeyeGbami: 3:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
Calmdancer21:

Almost the same thing with mine @56.4/KWh is not funny how does someone deal with the very hot weather?

Na only rain fit reduce this heat.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by femijay8271(m): 3:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
sad no more BIG MANISM.Once freezer is frozen,switch it off.Buy thermocool inverter/energy saving freezer and experience peace of mind

Pls tell me more about this thermocool inverter/energy saving freezer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Men And Women Divorce Over Sex Starvation / What My Dad Wanted Me To Do On His Behalf / Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.