Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? (25298 Views)

How Do You Manage With A Wasteful Over Sabi Wife / How Do You Manage To Keep Up With All Of These? / Bachelors, How Do You Manage Marriage Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 11:53am On Mar 13, 2022
MemoriesAndMe:

Nice one. How many solar panels did u have to settle for to have 24hr electricity for a 4-bedroom duplex if u don't mind me asking?

I use 6 panels and 2 batteries on 3.5kva inverter

As long as there is a little sun to charge during d day, am all good

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by CaptainFM1: 11:53am On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:
I am just curious with the disco tariff on energy consumption, if one is not careful the cost of buying energy will be competing with rent. I have seen apartments that share prepaid meter and all parties involved agreed to only use energy /light during the night or weekend, so they disconnect from disco during day.
I was like there could be a better way to manage energy consumption. If you have an alternative way pls. share and let's benefit from it.

Change all your bulbs to energy saving LED bulbs.

If you must iron cloth, make sure you iron minimum of 10 at once.

Go heavily after the energy sapping appliances. Eg, TV, Fridge, Washing machine, TV, Pumping Machine etc. Get inverter and energy saving complaints appliances. Even TV, you can do without it as virtually anything you want to watch can be watched on the phone.

Pump water once in a week if you can manage your consumption well.

Disconnect the water heater. If you absolutely need hot water, boil it from the stove or gas cooker.

Don't leave appliances on standby. If you are switching off, switch off completely from the socket. Appliances on standby still consume electricity.

Get rechargeable devices. Fan, bulbs, lantern, powerbanks etc.

If you are buying any electrical appliances, always check and compare the power consumption ratings. Buy the lowest power consumption equipment available in the market.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Lightway: 11:53am On Mar 13, 2022
kennethfranc:
Though I don't encourage people to do this...

Bypassing the prepaid meter is illegal but that's what we use at home. Only energy bulbs during the day then heavy appliances at night.
This saves a lot of money because we recharge when we wish to.
Just like chop 10k pay 1k.

This won't be possible if you have a jealous neighbor cuz they will surely report u.

You're a corrupt demon.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Grupo(m): 11:54am On Mar 13, 2022
loswhite:
61.1per kilo watt. It depends on the appliance you are using.

How many units does 1k give you in your locality?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:
I am just curious with the disco tariff on energy consumption, if one is not careful the cost of buying energy will be competing with rent. I have seen apartments that share prepaid meter and all parties involved agreed to only use energy /light during the night or weekend, so they disconnect from disco during day.
I was like there could be a better way to manage energy consumption. If you have an alternative way pls. share and let's benefit from it.
We don't pay for electricity. You garrit?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2022
inoki247:
Since most people hardly stay home during d day na to dey comot Fuse nd when night reach u put it bak....

For like 8month also av disconnected my self from disco wrote a letter to them I don't want dere services anymore on my bill I have 350k+ as outstanding so I just add money carry am jejely go buy solar since I'm not an heavy user of electricity some bunch of people can't just b scamming me na only when I wan pump water or use washing machine I use something heavy which I av my way around dat....

How is your solar delivery? What's the capacity of your solar and inverter setup? I don disconnect from NEPA since November last year after thee brought one month bill.of ₦151k
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by joey150(m): 11:55am On Mar 13, 2022
nurez305:
I'm on Eko discos and I get 35 unit for 1k, I don't really know why yours is different

Your discos places areas into different bands (A-D), based on the amount of electricity you get daily.

The unit cost and amount of electricity supply reduces from band A to D.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by akpunda86: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:

Bro I do manage it bf with all light fittings at home rechargeable type,Fans and Ac inverer type,well was managing fine but with the Epileptic power supply since January,I tell u is the 15k I loaded since January I'm using,the Epileptic power reduced my bills on eedc
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 11:57am On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

2 batteries on 3.5kva? E dey last?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by chukwuibuipob: 11:57am On Mar 13, 2022
sad to those in face 2 face house,dem dey paste tenants name like baba kamoru 5000k.Mr Okeke,12000k,Mum Eli,3000k,Alfa 15000k etc .How do dey calculate energy consumption of each room

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by frozen70(f): 12:01pm On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:

The tariff is going higher every quarterly, so I told my husband that from January he will be recharging the prepaid

Since then he off the security lights in the compound once its 5am, he regulates the freezer when to on and off it

Before, he wastes light and leaves light on, now he makes sure that if you are down stirs, he will go up and off your fan

Even stabilizer lights are off unless you want to watch Telly and you must be there watching it or you off it

I left that part for him to know the pains on the bills of running electricity on a 5 bedroom duplex

Since I handed over electricity bills to him, am happy with the ways he is monitoring the prepaid

We must get sense bye force

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by chukwuibuipob: 12:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Almost all my electrical appliances are solar
AC
Fridge
Bulb
Washing machine
Abeg,How much u buy the solar/send me the seller contact.Nah every 2 day in a month I dey load 8k card.Pump water,etc.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by MrHighSea: 12:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
Mille:

35 units for 1k. Omo.

1k is only 15 units here o. Understandable because we are on the highest tariff. With electricity for over 18 hours a day, you can guess how much I spend monthly. undecided
Exactly, 15.4 units for 1k. PHED. The pros is the minimum of 15hrs daily. With best energy management skill, 3k should be ok monthly. 1 Freezer at night, Electric iron and 10 energy saving bulbs. 2 laptops. cooking is strictly gas.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by MrHighSea: 12:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
frozen70:

The tariff is going higher every quarterly,
Lol.
I take it very personal too.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by kennethfranc(m): 12:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
Lightway:

You're a corrupt demon.
Only a corrupt demon can detect one

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Zico777(m): 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
Pstjoel:
The best way is to avoid cooking grin
Oga, how do u mean?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
I always turn off the main switch while going out since I stay alone and I am hardly at home during the days.
The only time I consume energy is when I want to pump water, watch tv, or charge my phone.
I rarely switch on the lights even when there was no meter.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by chukwuibuipob: 12:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
YeyeGbami:
Very crazy, i’m in a High Demand area according to them na like 50 to 55Naira per unit Kw/h. If i buy 20K e no dey pass 15days unless the light no steady.

As per management.
Use AC only if necessary and if you leave am for lowest temp na gbese cos the compressor go just dey blast dey go.

Use gas instead of electricity for cooking and baking etc.

If you have Water dispenser, switch on when you need cold or hot water. Gone are those days when you will just leave it on.

Switch all bulbs to energy saver, and switch of when not in use.

TV also has setting where you can reduce the brightness to save power. use Eco mode.

Appliance on standby still draw electricity, so switch them off completely if not in use.

If you have pumping machine, better to convert it to automatic so it pumps whenever it get to a preset level. That way you’d be saving electricity instead of waiting till the tank is almost empty or some people will leave it on and waste both water and electricity.

If you have inverter, and you like to waste the battery instead of saving it. You will spend more electricity to charge it back to 100%.

If you get money you can buy led light that have motion sensor/detector for your yard

Wetin remain sef, if you’re the head of house don’t even try to leave these responsibilities for your wife or kids cos they won’t manage it like you wey dey buy the token.

Always educated them on how to manage electricity, otherwise you go just dey see your meter blinking red and making that stupid beep beep noise.

Lastly, don’t get tempted to bypass because if disco catch you. it will hurt like bee sting.

Ire o!
Abeg,how can ones convert pumping machine to Automatic.. Thank u
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Barryseal: 12:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
I spend 6k every week with good management and no Ac and I use laundry men for dry cleaning.
I really pity Ac installers and repairers because their means of livelyhood is becoming extinct.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by MemoriesAndMe: 12:16pm On Mar 13, 2022
EkperemoEgbabi:

Nice. Thanks for the information. Do you need generator sometimes as backup or you're entirely on solar?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by empressSkincare(f): 12:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
MrJames007:
I refuse to collect that meter. But they way these people charge me these days no be here.

I refused to collect too o but 35K per month for a flat no be beans o. I tire like this!
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Natajo2021: 12:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:
@Op, the best way is energy theft.
Buhari and his gangs are thieves, stealing Nigerians tax payers money.
Get a competent electrician to divert high energy consuming devices ,leave only low energy consuming devices such as bulb, fridge, ironing point.
The rest is that you will never have a reason to complain.
Buhari and his northern gangs are heartless.
Noone pay for electricity in Kano, Jigawa, Katsina, Zamfara, Kebbi states.
The last time I bought significant electricity in Gwalgwalada was 4 years back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Lightway: 12:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
kennethfranc:
Only a corrupt demon can detect one

And you wonder why you've not made it in life....

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by YeyeGbami: 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
Abeg,how can ones convert pumping machine to Automatic.. Thank u

plumber will install a float switch in the tank, that will detect the water levels in the tank. So it will switch on and off the machine when required. If you’re not home you will assured that when you get home there will be water in the storage.

The only downside is voltage fluctuations. Some areas when power comes it will be 220V, the next minute he don drop to 170. That one fit go spoil machine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by danchuzzy(m): 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
nurez305:
I really don't know how they are charging some people, I have all the basic electrical appliances in my house including rice cooker.

I hardly finish 1500 naira token on my prepaid meter.

My brother told me that Ikeja electric distribution gave 20 unit for 1k and I still get 35 unit on every 1k recharge.

My question is why is some paying higher than others ?

NB the prepaid meter was done by NEPA official and I never bypass anything and I will never do so.

I think they have classes or something like that. So it depends on the class you're in. Some areas have more regular power supply than others and that in turn affects how much they pay for power. It's weird I know, but it is what it is!
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Natajo2021: 12:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
Lightway:

You're a corrupt demon.
Then Buhari is what?
You are a hypocrite.
If u have the chance u will do worst.
Your criticism is lack of opportunity to steal electricity from the wicked people that govern Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
Abeg,How much u buy the solar/send me the seller contact.Nah every 2 day in a month I dey load 8k card.Pump water,etc.
it depends on what you want, let me drop the contact of the person on my profile. Is that okay?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Subsea101: 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
You're very luck, I use between 450 to 500 units a month, and PHED charges me around N63+ a unit (including VAT) that's almost 30k a month. It's crazy

nurez305:
I really don't know how they are charging some people, I have all the basic electrical appliances in my house including rice cooker.

I hardly finish 1500 naira token on my prepaid meter.

My brother told me that Ikeja electric distribution gave 20 unit for 1k and I still get 35 unit on every 1k recharge.

My question is why is some paying higher than others ?

NB the prepaid meter was done by NEPA official and I never bypass anything and I will never do so.

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by chukwuibuipob: 12:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
it depends on what you want, let me drop the contact of the person on my profile. Is that okay?
OK.Thanks.I appreciate

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by YeyeGbami: 12:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
MrJames007:
I refuse to collect that meter. But they way these people charge me these days no be here.

I’ll advise you to consider getting it, post paid charges na die for my end. Before i got metered, sometimes they bring as high as 40K/Month.

And the maddening thing is that before you know they don bring ladder.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 12:28pm On Mar 13, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
OK.Thanks.I appreciate
Let me know when you see it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.