Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking (10549 Views)

S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G!!! No Igboman On Buhari's Entourage To USA. / I Want To Succeed Elechi Because I’ve Invested And It Is My Turn To Chop” -Umahi / Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Eziachi: 3:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
ZnO:

Comparing apple (Nigeria) with oranges (UK)
How many non  muslims have been killed in the UK by muslims
Why not name it anything order than islamic bank?
I will get back to you later. Thanks
I can understand your fear as a Nigerian because both Christians/Moslem are all bigots. In fact the bigger the bigot the better devoted you are. I am talking strickly on banking alone, whether its called Babalawo bank is not of my concern. My worry is that every good idea is killed in Nigeria because people only see things through their bigotted religious prism.
This arguement alone is another minus for the one Nigerian vanguard. If Arewa is on their own who give a monkey what they called the bank in their land? I keep telling Nigerians that you can't have it both ways. The Sharia state/governors wanted the law and at the same time shares revenues accrued from alcohol drank by infidels from non Sharia states.
Makes Sense?
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by maclatunji: 3:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
omobaba101:

JUST A SIMPLE CLARIFICATION/EDUCATION: It was said that Islamic banking system is interest free on loans, but if the bank will be sharing the profit/loss of the business, will the profit shared not be interest for the money given out by the bank? Doesn't this look like the bank buying shares into every business venture? Just think through; won't that be a greater 'interest' really as they will supervise that the business goes through. Just asking!!!

You have answered your question yourself (see bolded), you charge interest on debts and collect dividend or profit if you like on equity. I hope you understand this rudimentary explanation. It can get very, very complex at the top level. Oga profit is different from interest, I know you know that.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by koyaabj: 4:07pm On Jun 27, 2011
Haba nija people how soon we forget recent stuff, Islamic banking has been with us since long time ago.
check it out,
Habib Bank plc biggest share holders were muslims.
M.K.O Abiola
shehu musa yar'adua
jose Babatunde
and others,
managed by Akin kekereekun(MD)without problems.
25billion naira issue came up ditto it changes name to Bank PHB run by a christian (MD), what happen next, money disappear from the bank vault into MD's private acct/companies.
if this bank will bring fund into the economy without interest so let it be.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by btyfulmnd(m): 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
i think most of us are derailing with our views on this. Should we be bothered about the name of the bank or its services,being an Islamic bank does not give it autonomy to operate outside the regulations of CBN. We have different telecommunication outfits and each decide the best way to deal with its subscribers so applies to services rendered by banks. Bank of the North was established solely to support the growth of the north even though it failed,it was perceived to be a northern bank and everything from the north in Nigeria is seen as Muslim. That is a wrong perception,it might be an Islamic bank but in the eyes of a good business man,it is just a normal opportunity to invest."leave wetin dey for motor body enter motor"
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 27, 2011
I do not see the problem here. Some people decided to have an Islamic bank, why not? The last time I checked, Nigeria is a free country where you can do banking business that promote the ethics of your faith. If the Pentecostal people wants a bank of their own that will promote the pentecostal Christian ethics in banking business, why not?

People who cannot do something good for their community should stop complaining when others are doing it.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Costa2000(m): 4:44pm On Jun 27, 2011
Nigeria no do anything with oil money,now na islamic bank dem go use buy the whole world,wen  dey chop kolanut finish nd drink kaikai join nam dem go come de talk nonsence.make i hear word abegiiiii.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by member479760: 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
as usual dey sell out again, cheap people.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by ZnO: 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2011
nakedall:

as usual dey sell out again, cheap people.

Who sold out? That Igbo man is a muslim of more than 40 years standing. He lives in the North, dines with them and sleeps with them. His name is Alhaji Abdulazeez Ude. http://www.jaizinternationalplc.com/board_of_directors_management_staff.html

I do not know how much Igbo is left in him.
A Yoruba is also a share holder, but Sanusi decides to emphasize on the Igbo man
We can see thru all that gimmick.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by okooyinbo(m): 5:25pm On Jun 27, 2011
Would the ISLAMIC BANKS be involved in forex trading and would they be offering Bureau de Change services? Since they abhor interest, it would incite me to exchange my EUROs for their Nairas. It really would be a big bargain as compared to patronizing the  "Molla" people at the Airport, Allen, Ojuelegba, CMS etc,
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by crackhouse(m): 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2011
This islamic bank when established will surely deviate from it's primary aim and start sponsoring the islamic sects and other islamic militant groups. Just watch out as the drama unfold.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by ZnO: 5:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
crackhouse:

This islamic bank when established will surely deviate from it's primary aim and start sponsoring the islamic sects and other islamic militant groups. Just watch out as the drama unfold.

Thank you for being on my side on this.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Excellent7(m): 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
You guys should not bother yourselves too much.
Since the CBN governor has decided to make this the utmost priority in the light of more challenging things.Chasing rats while the house is on fire! I just want him to make it a level playing ground with conventional banks 25 Billion Naira capital ( and not the concessionary 15 Billion Naira for his Islamic Bank thing) and let the party begin!
If I may ask how good was and has Unity Bank and Habib Bank been doing!
By the time d current CBN governor is thru, Soludo (who he tried so much to rubbish) and who in my personal opinion could have done better than he did while in office will be increased in stature like an iroko tree!
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by ZnO: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
Message for southern muslims:
To the northern muslims, you are all infidels. That is why try hard as you can (Adegbite and Co.) you can never be head of islam in Nigeria
You see your moon differently, they see theirs differently
In the last election, Buhari, a northern muslim, refused to yield to the requests of Tinubu, a southern muslim: all because they feel superior to you.
Yet, you dey fall mugu for their antics

I was in Kano in 2001 when I visited a friend serving there
Suddenly riot broke out
Yoruba muslims, Yoruba christians, Igbos and other southern and northern christians were killed
They say you live peaceably with christians in your midst, hence you are not good muslims
They say you southern muslims drink beer and patronize asha-wos, like christians do, so you are for those reasons, not true muslims.
But please take a trip to a place called Trailer Park along the Port Harcourt-Onne Highway in River State. They come from the North to load fertilizers from NAFCON and petroleum products from the nearby NNPC. There you will see these northern muslims in hundreds who empty beer bottles into their washing kettles used for ablution and drink from it, in deceit of the unwary. You find them sleeping with southern asha-wos on the back of their trailers at night. Ask them, they tell you ''this is southern nigeria, sharia will not catch us here''. They then go back north and pretend all is well and continue with their holier-than-thou attitude.
Did Abacha not die atop Indian asha-wos, as we hear? Yet, to a northern muslim, Abacha is more important than even the holiest of southern muslims.

I pity all these southern muslims who do not want to see beyond their noses.
Sharia Bank? Hm!! They go throw bomb inside the banking hall. Guess who the most bankers in Nigeria are, and thus, who the potential victims would be
They go use your savings buy bomb wey dey go use kill you.
The emphasis on islamic banking is a red flag that should not be ignored
We have had Habib Bank etc; no one cared, because the name does not suggest anything of security interest
From the grapevine, one of the conditions given by the Mullahs in the Middle East to pump in cash is that the name must be ISLAMIC BANK to stamp in the IOC angle to it.

Even the deceit by Sanusi in mentioning that an Igbo man is a shareholder of his sharia bank is lost on so many.
Ask him why he specifically singled out that Igbo man, among 10-15 other shareholders.

Hold your ears and listen up; Sharia is on its way to Ibadan. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
Why is it now they want to have Islamic Banking in Nigeria? They didn't have it during Norther military ruler regimes and during the late Musa Yaradua term in office. Why now?

They instituted Sharia and Boko Haram during Obasanjo rule And, now Jonathan time they are bringing in Islamic Banking. The Northerners are becoming too restless these days. They need to start thinking of things that will benefit their people not Islamic Banking that doesn't accept interest but are financed by the Middle Eastern terror core sponsors.

Nigeria is a secular nation and people can just come up with any idea and implement it without prior constitutional consultations. Nigeria is backward men!
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2011
it's better we stay without BANK than bringing another trouble and 'muslim killing CORPERS BANK' cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2011
because of one igbo man( maybe an in-law to muslim) that we will implement lslamic banking?
NO WAY!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by LagosShia: 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
it is a sad reality in Nigeria where even leaders prove their ignorance and stupidity.

in western nations islamic banking is working.in Nigeria where muslims are a majority (regardless whether you dispute it),you have some id.iots calling themselves christian leaders who are deliberately causing tension where there is non to make their voice heard and do "notice me".

those fools should educate themselves before issuing statements.ignorance and illitracy is the cause of the problems in nigeria and religion is only used to give issues a flavor.ignorance and illitracy exist in both sides of the divide.if people know religion well and also understand the religion of the other person,no killing or bloodshed or "bad belleh" would exist.

my question to these ignorant men:

there are many people in Nigeria who do not sell alcohol and pork in their shops,when would these semi-literate so called "christian leaders" doing "notice me" issue statements to impose that everyone must sell alcohol and pork?

everyone should be free to bank with any bank he wishes.if you dont want to bank with a non-interest bank (aka islamic bank),then choose another bank.there are churches,mosques,kingdom halls,shrines,synagogues and even hindu temples in Nigeria.yet,everyone has a choice where to worship.why cant the same happen with banks?there are also islamic and christian charity groups and islamic,christian and government hospitals.everyone has a choice to go where he wants.its a free country.would these stupid so called christian leaders ask for the government to ban the building of mosques?these men are only trying to create tension and make nigeria to be seen as not tolerant.or maybe they think in their stupid and arrogant minds that nigeria is a "christian country" so they want their voice to be heard by restricting others.that is in their dreams that will never materialize.these men should start campaigning against poverty and armed-robbery and ritual killings in majority christian states.they have much work to do in their backyards than trying to attract attention.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 27, 2011
it is a sad reality in Nigeria where even leaders prove their ignorance and stupidity.

in western nations islamic banking is working.in Nigeria where muslims are a majority (regardless whether you dispute it),you have some id.iots calling themselves christian leaders who are deliberately causing tension where there is non to make their voice heard and do "notice me".

those fools should educate themselves before issuing statements.ignorance and illitracy is the cause of the problems in nigeria and religion is only used to give issues a flavor.ignorance and illitracy exist in both sides of the divide.if people no religion well and also understand the religion of the other person,no killing or bloodshed or "bad belleh" would exist.
There is nothing meaningful in what you wrote at all. That is not an excuse to have an Islamic Banking in Nigeria without addressing the constitution that gives right to a banking system that doesn't accept interest from the public. such banking system is bound to default or rather we are not fools to who this bank operators are − the sponsors are known hard core Islamists. Yes!Religion plays a great role in Nigeria and Nigerian politics. I can't see why Sharia should be implemented in Nigeria and no benefits or good it has done to the Northern states than to create ground for terrorists(Boko Haram). You must be hallucinating thinking there is no ulterior motives to this very idea of having Islamic Banking in Nigeria.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by hbrednic: 6:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
Mr Sanusi is a big fool for trying to drag in igbos into his useless almajiri banking debate  angry
God punish you
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 27, 2011
The Islamic Bank (JAIZ BANK PLC) has absolutely nothing to do with the normal conventional banking where high interest is the order of the day.

People like me who believe solely in the WORDS of ALLAH AGAINST Usury (interest) ARE 1001% IN SUPPORT OF THE ISLAMIC BANKING SYSTEM

Not to spite any religion or group but rather because of the fear of Allah.

, and by the way, i am a share holder of that bank (which has nothing to do with my clamouring for its existence but rather out of the unending facts of the benefit i know the bank will offer Muslims and nonmuslims alike).
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by LagosShia: 7:00pm On Jun 27, 2011
all4naija:

There is nothing meaningful in what you wrote at all. That is not an excuse to have an Islamic Banking in Nigeria without addressing the constitution that gives right to a banking system that doesn't accept interesting from the public. such banking system is bound to default or rather we are not fools to who this bank operators are − the sponsors are known hard core Islamists. Yes!Religion plays a great role in Nigeria and Nigerian politics. I can't see why Sharia should be implemented in Nigeria and no benefits or good it has done to the Northern states than to create ground for terrorists(Boko Haram). You must be hallucinating thinking there is no ulterior motives to this very idea of having Islamic Banking in Nigeria.

i do not need to give you or those barking by issuing statements any excuse.both of you can go hug a transformer.

as a nigerian citizen,everyone is free to bank anywhere he wants.it is a non-issue.you are only fooling yourself to think that there are no extremist nigerians who are christians and muslims both in the so called south and northern nigeria.that got nothing to do with a legitimate banking institution that operates in a particular way by not collecting interests.do not use the excuse of hardcore "islamicists" because there is nothing as such when it comes to doing business.otherwise when would you ask the government to close mosques?or are you afraid that muslims would be given a chance to choose what they want?do not bring the constitution into this because having a bank that does not give interest or a shop that does not sell alcohol does not violate the constitution.this has to do with personal freedom.these bad belleh christian leaders are jealous because they cannot in their wildest dream have a christian bank because christianity has no legislation as islam is a complete way of life.if these men are not ignorant,they will know that islamic banking which does not collect interest has a biblical basis.it is amazing how they who call themselves  "followers of christ" are opposing a banking system which does not collect or give interest but they have no problem with banks that suck people's blood by taking or giving interest.

there are many people in Nigeria who do not sell alcohol and pork in their shops,when would these semi-literate so called "christian leaders" doing "notice me" issue statements to impose that everyone must sell alcohol and pork?

everyone should be free to bank with any bank he wishes.if you dont want to bank with a non-interest bank (aka islamic bank),then choose another bank.there are churches,mosques,kingdom halls,shrines,synagogues and even hindu temples in Nigeria.yet,everyone has a choice where to worship.why cant the same happen with banks?there are also islamic and christian charity groups and islamic,christian and government hospitals.everyone has a choice to go where he wants.its a free country.would these silly so called christian leaders ask for the government to ban the building of mosques?these men are only trying to create tension and make nigeria to be seen as not tolerant.or maybe they think in their silly and arrogant minds that nigeria is a "christian country" so they want their voice to be heard by restricting others.that is in their dreams that will never materialize.these men should start campaigning against poverty and armed-robbery and ritual killings in majority christian states.they have much work to do in their backyards than trying to attract attention.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sorry you always misquote yourself and go for the edit button.

I don't even need to read nor quote you again. You and your fellow Muslims must address the issue of Boko Haram first! For your information, I am not a believer in any religion. I am an Atheist ! Yes I am!

You claimed the Christian leaders are uneducated and  you don't even have the brain to know what religion is , the origin and subsequences ?

You Muslims are always fanatical and ready to fight for your god! Don't preach it to where I am PERIOD!
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by tpia5: 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
there's no single christian or non-muslim on the board of this bank. Why are we like this nah. I tire for nigeria. undecided

http://www.jaizinternationalplc.com/board_of_directors_management_staff.html
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by kafanchan: 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
I remember late 2009 when America said Nigeria was a terrorist state, Dora, Senator Mark and most Nigerians halla. Now, are we not a terrorist state? I have always trusted USA for their prediction, including that Nigeria will break up by 2015 which most people on this forum will agree that it is 80% likely to happen.
Last year, FBI said we (Nigeria) should be careful of funds that we receive from middle east in form of grants, that most of these funds will be for terrorism. Now, Sanusi is seriously bent of establishing Islamic banking (the seriousness is as if he has a deadline) when Boko haram is heating up in the country ; this will make a  politically risk averse person will suspect that Islamic banking thing in Nigeria. As for me, I dont have a single problem with Islamic banking, infact it will even be good for people like me. But, Sanusi should be more intelligent than trying to force Islamic banking on Nigerians now when the country is yet to get over post election violence and boko haram. For Sanusi to be trying islamic banking in Nigeria as at now means he has hidden intention. It is a shame for Sanusi to try to drive his point home by not telling us that the IBO man is a muslim. The man misled us, the way he misled us about the sacked CEOs and their banks (thank God that peoples eyes have opened) .It shows that the man is not ethical.
Like I said, I will not pray and wish for Jonathan to remove the man. It is left for him to decide. God has shown us that Sanusi is evil, so it is left for Nigerians to do the needful.
Last word, God will punish Yaradua for appoiting sanusi, may he rot in hell, may his soul not find peace where he is.
Islam is not evil. The way it is practiced in Nothern Nigeria is evil. 95% of hausas support boko haram, only that they dont want to say it in public
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by odumchi: 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2011
[b]Islam is foreign to Igboland and the East. Seeing an Igbo Muslim is like seeing a three headed dog--very rare almost non existent.

Now many of you tend to confuse Igbo speaking Hausa merchants in the SE as Igbo muslims. Apart from this there is only one way in which an Igboman might "adopt" Islam.

A) A few desperate Igbos might "convert" (notice the quote) to Islam and go to the North and seek financial assistance from the Alhajis and Alhajas of the North claiming to be "brothers and sisters in Islam" but they often desert and run back to the south after their financial goals are achieved.

Christianity and Traditional Animism are the only belief systems that are practiced by the Igbo people and other indigenous people of the East. Now, that does not mean that you won't find Hausa merchants and cattle readers who have learned to speak little Igbo inorder to communicate with the locals and by foreigners, they tend to be confused as Igbo men.

Other than this, Islam has no grip in the East since it does not bring anything politically, socially or economically to the Eastern people's. If a man is Muslim, he will be estranged from Christiana and even Animusts will see him as a foreigner. He will have no political stance since his religion will often estranged him from the people and label him as a "Northerner". But despite this, the 99% Christian oriented and 1% Sole Animist demographic still stands.[/b]
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by LagosShia: 7:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
kafanchan:

I remember late 2009 when America said Nigeria was a terrorist state, Dora, Senator Mark and most Nigerians halla. Now, are we not a terrorist state? I have always trusted USA for their prediction, including that Nigeria will break up by 2015 which most people on this forum will agree that it is 80% likely to happen.
Last year, FBI said we (Nigeria) should be careful of funds that we receive from middle east in form of grants, that most of these funds will be for terrorism. Now, Sanusi is seriously bent of establishing Islamic banking (the seriousness is as if he has a deadline) when Boko haram is heating up in the country ; this will make a  politically risk averse person will suspect that Islamic banking thing in Nigeria. As for me, I dont have a single problem with Islamic banking, infact it will even be good for people like me. But, Sanusi should be more intelligent than trying to force Islamic banking on Nigerians now when the country is yet to get over post election violence and boko haram. For Sanusi to be trying islamic banking in Nigeria as at now means he has hidden intention. It is a shame for Sanusi to try to drive his point home by not telling us that the IBO man is a muslim. The man misled us, the way he misled us about the sacked CEOs and their banks (thank God that peoples eyes have opened) .It shows that the man is not ethical.
Like I said, I will not pray and wish for Jonathan to remove the man. It is left for him to decide. God has shown us that Sanusi is evil, so it is left for Nigerians to do the needful.
Last word, God will punish Yaradua for appoiting sanusi, may he rot in hell, may his soul not find peace where he is.
Islam is not evil. The way it is practiced in Nothern Nigeria is evil. 95% of hausas support boko haram, only that they dont want to say it in public

i think there is more than one breaking news in the above quote:

-sanusi is a boko haram member

-sanusi is forcing nigerians with islamic banking.

the intelligence level of some nigerians is a problem.has sanusi closed all other banks or forced them to implement islamic banking?or is he just allowing some people form a bank and operate it in a way that does not accomodate interest?
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by LagosShia: 7:30pm On Jun 27, 2011
all4naija:

Sorry you always misquote yourself and go for the edit button.

I don't even need to read nor quote you again. You and your fellow Muslims must address the issue of Boko Haram first! For your information, I am not a believer in any religion. I am an Atheist ! Yes I am!

You claimed the Christian leaders are uneducated and  you don't even have the brain to know what religion is , the origin and subsequences ?

You Muslims are always fanatical and ready to fight for your god! Don't preach it to where I am PERIOD!

do you know what "misquote" means?

adding a few more sentences to a post is not called "misquote".

it is unfortunate that many fools roam forums and post nonsense echoing the ignorance of some so called leaders.the quality of the posts on nairaland is heartaching.it is a sad reality that reflects the society and which shows that many nigerians from the ones on top need serious rehabilitation.they are sick and then they balme it on "one nigeria".the problem is not the land or its size but the people and the size of their thinking.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by LagosShia: 7:42pm On Jun 27, 2011
odumchi:

[b]Islam is foreign to Igboland and the East. Seeing an Igbo Muslim is like seeing a three headed dog--very rare almost non existent.

Now many of you tend to confuse Igbo speaking Hausa merchants in the SE as Igbo muslims. Apart from this there is only one way in which an Igboman might "adopt" Islam.

A) A few desperate Igbos might "convert" (notice the quote) to Islam and go to the North and seek financial assistance from the Alhajis and Alhajas of the North claiming to be "brothers and sisters in Islam" but they often desert and run back to the south after their financial goals are achieved.

Christianity and Traditional Animism are the only belief systems that are practiced by the Igbo people and other indigenous people of the East. Now, that does not mean that you won't find Hausa merchants and cattle readers who have learned to speak little Igbo inorder to communicate with the locals and by foreigners, they tend to be confused as Igbo men.

Other than this, Islam has no grip in the East since it does not bring anything politically, socially or economically to the Eastern people's. If a man is Muslim, he will be estranged from Christiana and even Animusts will see him as a foreigner. He will have no political stance since his religion will often estranged him from the people and label him as a "Northerner". But despite this, the 99% Christian oriented and 1% Sole Animist demographic still stands.[/b]

your post is sick,parochial and foolish.

you're just the other side of the coin.since when has race or ethnicity got anything to do with one's personal choice of religion?

i have an igbo friend who is in america and adopted islam willingly through research and knowledge.

i hope everyone take note of your words and keep in mind that those words are coming from your mouth and not from the mouth of a northerner.let the world see who is imposing his will on others and eliminating personal freedom and freedom of religion.it is the same approach that your so called christian leaders are using to issue empty and shameful and divisive statements.
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by 13volts(m): 8:09pm On Jun 27, 2011
thank you jare
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by deadie(m): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sharia banking 101: If you cannot pay back your loan, you only lose a body part.
Bank Director : Alhj. Dr. Sen. *Ped. Sani  Yerima grin grin grin

*Ped = ped.o.phile
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Excellent7(m): 8:37pm On Jun 27, 2011
I just read from Business Hallmark that according to Sanusi's plan "non sharah compliant persons will not benefit from his Islamic Banking facility (loans). You see!!! The guys that were talking of how it is done in Britain etc., are you seeing the Nigerian factor!!! This guy has a grand design.
I will stop now to search and post the link to the story before forumites start attacking my person. No be me talk am oh !
Re: Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking by Excellent7(m): 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
SEE THE LINK http:///index.php/news/5609.html
Protests, Anger Trail Licensing of Islamic Bank

Huge protests, anger and the feeling of “religious discrimination” has resurged again following the announcement by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) that its governor, ,

Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has approved and issued operating licence to Jaiz International Bank Plc to run Islamic Bank (that is, Profit-sharing Bank or Non-Interest Banking) in Nigeria.
Most worried are non Muslims who fear that with the commencement of the issuance of operating licence for Islamic banks in a “religiously volatile and secular” country like Nigeria, the “CBN is subtly inflaming and deepening religious divide and intolerance, ” that has promoted religious violence in the country in the past three decades. Islamic banking is guided by Shariah law. Its operating principle forbids the lender from charging interest on credit facility but the law permits the lender to partake in sharing the profit and the loss with the borrower. Whilst in normal money deposit banks, the lender charges the borrower interest on credit facilities but does not participate in sharing the profit and loss with the borrower.

A top member of the Full Gospel Businessmen Fellowship International, Nigerian chapter, Olise Agbakoba, SAN, told BH on phone that introducing religion in the banking sub-sector would backpedal investments and manufacturing, pointing that mixing religion and state in a country where religion has taken a volatile colour, is dangerous.
“Non Interest Banking is good but we must be very careful not to mix religion with the state business. In setting up Islamic bank, it is true that it helps promote development and investment but a country like Nigeria, where you have religious volatility, it is very necessary that we be very careful.”
According to him, mixing state business with religion has the tendency of fuelling discontent among non adherents of the religion that is being promoted.
Reiterating Agbakoba, a financial analyst and consultant, Dr. Godwin Owoh told BH that the decision of the CBN is an affront on the sanctity of the Constitution which guarantees equality.

“Is a violation of Section 14(3) of the Federal Constitution. This Section provides for the principle of federal character and equal opportunity in any federal institution without discrimination of any type whatsoever. The CBN Non Interest Banking is discriminatory and a violation of the Federal Character Principle,” he stated.
Speaking further Agbakoba said, “I have advocated that the state should not sponsor any religious activity in whatever form, whether pilgrimage to Israel or to Mecca, in short, we are going to file a suit against the government on that”.

Efforts to speak to Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, President of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) was not successful as he was said to have travelled out of the country. But one of his Aides on CAN issues, told BH on phone that the CAN Council will meet to “discuss the Islamic bank matter and make the stand of Christians known”, noting that the choice by the apex bank to promote Islam over other religions in the financial services sub-sector is a pointer that the governor has “a hidden agenda.”
“Why Islamic bank now? He asked. “Why not let the banks that we have now be strong and operating smoothly before introducing religion or Islamic bank. I hope it is not a ploy to use government money to promote his religion through the banks”, he stated.

CBN's Deputy Governor, Financial System Stability, Dr. Kingsley Moghalue disclosed that the apex bank's action was borne out of the desire to provide wider opportunity for the millions of unbanked Nigerians and woo them into the formal financial system. But he could not clarify with any data whether those outside the formal financial system were as a result of religion or whether Islamic banking is the major solution to sensitise the unbanked in the country.
“I will like to very clearly assure Nigerians that non-interest banking is part of our plan to increase the inclusion into the financial sector people who have stayed out of the financial system for various reasons. There is no agenda, it is simply finance and not about religion. I want to further assure Nigerians very clearly that non-interest banking is open to people of all faith and all type of non-interest bank application are welcome at the CBN”, stated the apex bank's top-notch.
Earlier, the apex bank had set up 'CBN Shariah Council'. The body, is composed mainly of adherents of the Islamic faith and functions as the advisory organ to the governor especially in developing a template, and helping to fast-track the licensing and establishment of Islamic banks in the country.

When contacted the CBN spokesperson, Muhammed Abdulahi denied that there is any ulterior motive behind the issuance of licence for the operation of Islamic banking in Nigeria, stating that it would be beneficial to all Nigerians.
“Non Interest Banking is not about Islam, but values and principles shared by all religions and so, non Muslims cannot be excluded,” he told BH. He attributed the negative story about Islamic banking to “propaganda by few uninformed or mischievous individuals”.

But our source in the CBN, Abuja office told BH in confidence that the CBN Board was divided over the Islamic bank issue noting that the governor had stated casually in one of the meetings that he “needs to see a balance in the structure of banking in Nigeria”. To ensure that it works, the CBN injected a new clause into the guidelines for NIBs.
In the guideline, the CBN stated that only “Shariah compliant” persons would be eligible to run and have access to NIB facility. With this clause, according to industry operators, non adherents to the Islamic faith are completely shut out from benefiting from the Non Interest Banking financial window, a situation described by legal experts, analysts and bankers as “religious discrimination in the business place. ” “This does not tally with the Constitutional requirement on equality”, a lawyer who prefers anonymity told BH.

The reworked guideline, which was signed by Chris O. Chukwu, Acting Director, Financial Policy and Regulation Department of the apex bank, became operational since Thursday, January 13, 2011. The grouse of most legal experts is that some portions of the guideline, which was skilfully smuggled in by the CBN, contravene some sections of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA) 1991 (as amended).
On Thursday, May 19, the immediate past Senate Committee on Banking met and, in its resolution, asked the CBN governor to withdraw the reworked guideline already sent out, and comply with prescribed banking law. Aware that the tenure of the Senate expires on Saturday, May 28, the CBN governor declined to honour or comply with the Senate Committee memo.

The CBN circular states, inter alia: “Further to our circular reference No. BSD/Dir/Gen/NIB/01/008 dated March 4, 2009 on the above subject and following extensive consultation and receipt of comments/inputs by stakeholders, the Central Bank of Nigeria hereby releases the Framework for the Regulation and Supervision of Institutions Offering Non-Interest Financial Services in Nigeria, as well as the following supporting guidelines:
Guidelines on Shariah Governance for Non-Interest Financial Institutions in Nigeria; and
Guidelines on Non-Interest Window and Branch Operations of Conventional Banks and Other Financial Institutions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gov. Ambode Addresses Media On The Rescue Of The Three Female Students / Tinubu's Claim Of Impeachment Attempt On Buhari, A Fabrication - Senator Misau / Video: Billionaire Olu Okeowo Son Shows His Friends Around Their Lagos Castle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.