Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) (33185 Views)

Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Step By Step Method Of Preparing Egg Soup In 15mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ManfromUNCLE(m): 10:06am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Ify said that? Maybe she just wan find trouble.

Lol. Goat meat please. I don’t eat dog meat.

For real? That is not true na.
Local calabar man will not be pleased
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by mercy87(f): 10:22am On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

All these speaking in tongues on top afang soup. cheesy
Is it that serious? cheesy

No be speaking in tongues cheesy it means No spoil our soup. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 10:31am On Feb 23, 2022
My mum boils her periwinkle first(seperately)...
It brings out this greenish slimy stuff...that people hardly notice when they cook it together with the meat.
If no be afang, e no go fit be a fang. Nice one...

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by mercy87(f): 10:31am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

I wouldn’t know if it is laziness. Where I come from, I will say preference.

I am always careful to tell price of waterleaf and okazi. In fact I don’t, because I never can tell. I like to be present to see it with my eyes and decide how much afang would complement my waterleaf.

Nobody is blending it in water like tomatoes, just a little water to make the blades move. That is a last option for people that are blending from home, do not have access to market blenders or mortars. They are the negligible percentage. There are people all over the world and in different situations, so when you blog, you give them guidelines on how they can achieve similar result. Thanks once again.

I simply addressed you as what you introduced yourself as, twice in a row - a native Efik person. It must be very important to you to state that you are one. So, what is sarcastic in me returning the favour? cheesy

Very important so you understand that i am knowledgeable on the subject but never said i should be addressed as such hence your sacarsm is unnecessary poco

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Awesometouch1: 10:31am On Feb 23, 2022
Anyone that presents soup to be that contains unshelled periwinkles has asked for trouble.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 10:37am On Feb 23, 2022
FashionCookie:
My mum boils her periwinkle first(seperately)...
It brings out this greenish slimy stuff...that people hardly notice when they cook it together with the meat.
If no be afang, e no go fit be a fang. Nice one...

I haven’t noticed any greenish slimy stuff, but I soak with hot water first, then wash with warm water. If you look at the pic of the chopped periwinkle well, you would see it is already cooked cheesy. I just skipped that because it is the paranoia in me.

Awesometouch1:
Anyone that presents soup to be that contains unshelled periwinkles has asked for trouble.

Unshelled = with shells
Shelled = without shells.

Which one would be asking for trouble?

mercy87:

Very important so you understand that i am knowledgeable on the subject but never said i should be addressed as such hence your sacarsm is unnecessary poco

Your subject has been duly noted. smiley

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Sent87: 10:39am On Feb 23, 2022
Which kind temptation be this, now I'm really craving Afang soup. Op no be only you, I can survive on Afang soup alone all year round.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by NumeroUna(f): 10:40am On Feb 23, 2022
Senomii:

No o, I know where it's sold sef, but for the owner to be able to keep the distinct quality he had to raise the price very high that's y he no longer sells it to the public cos they won't be able to afford it, so he makes them solely for shell workers and it's always out of stock cos they rush it

Wow, I'd really love to have a taste of that yummy goodness once again
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 23, 2022
NumeroUna:

Wow, I'd really love to have a taste of that yummy goodness once again
You can check wether they hv a website and order it, you can also check Jumia foods website
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by OlujobaSamuel: 10:58am On Feb 23, 2022
Hmmmmmmmm, salivating already. I wan ask for the ponmo but since you don add cow leg, e don cover but me go still add enough ponmo.
Also, eating the soup the next day have one kind taste that you go dey deep hand inside pot anytime you enter kitchen.
I'm trying to persuade wife to love it, so I can cook it more frequently
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by charlito94(m): 11:01am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

How do you like it?
With shelled (Pic 1) or unshelled (Pic 2) periwinkles?

You can actually teach people online and make money virtually.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:03am On Feb 23, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
Hmmmmmmmm, salivating already. I wan ask for the ponmo but since you don add cow leg, e don cover but me go still add enough ponmo.
Also, eating the soup the next day have one kind taste that you go dey deep hand inside pot anytime you enter kitchen.
I'm trying to persuade wife to love it, so I can cook it more frequently

Lol. Ever since I got to know the brown kpomo is donkey hide, I don’t eat it again. Yea, it gets smoother and finer the next day. smiley

charlito94:

You can actually teach people online and make money virtually.

Should I start from you, Charli? cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by dchamp234(m): 11:04am On Feb 23, 2022
Please no one should cook afang soup with Knorr cube, Maggi star is the best, not only for afang but any other soup or cookings, Maggi is made from pure, natural and original ingredients to give your cookings a delicious teaste. Make the research yourself and see for yourself......
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:05am On Feb 23, 2022
dchamp234:
Please no one should cook afang soup with Knorr cube, Maggi star is the best, not only for afang but any other soup or cookings, Maggi is made from pure, natural and original ingredients to give your cookings a delicious teaste. Make the research yourself and see for yourself......

Not true. Strictly preference. No seasoning cube is made from natural ingredients, definitely not Maggi. They all have MSG in them, though Knorr claims this new one doesn’t.

The only maggi I use is Maggi Crayfish and I won’t even deceive myself into thinking it is pure and natural. You shouldn’t too. wink

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Twoclans(f): 11:11am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Not true. Strictly preference. No seasoning cube is made from natural ingredients, definitely not Maggi. They all have MSG in them, though Knorr claims this new one doesn’t.

The only maggi I use is Maggi Crayfish and I won’t even deceive myself into thinking it is pure and natural. You shouldn’t too. wink

Poco I have this feeling that new knorr does not contain msg.The day I cooked with it I almost cried .It is healthy sha but I was craving the taste of msg in the regular knorr.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:13am On Feb 23, 2022
Twoclans:

Poco I have this feeling that new knorr does not contain msg.The day I cooked with it I almost cried .It is healthy sha but I was craving the taste of msg in the regular knorr.

Lmao! I thought it was my mouth. Thanks for this review!! I was hoping someone would say something about it. But it isn’t that bad na. Just not sharp.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by McDuncan: 11:19am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
NL keeps destroying picture quality embarassed

PREPARATION

Pic 1: I bought this cow leg @ N2400. I hope that was a good bargain.

who cares? No one gives a bleep . You can't seem to make a post on Nairaland without desperately trying to sell yourself to people. You must breathe and oscillate on attention. Damn!

And Nairaland isn't destroying picture quality. Your phone is subpar with cheap 8mp from nonstandard OEMs with China lens.

By the way, are you actually 42?

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by TheGiftedOne(m): 11:33am On Feb 23, 2022
No soup I've eaten in my while life can better my love for afang. Only these pics has got me salivating. I miss cross river where I served.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 11:41am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

How do you like it?
With shelled (Pic 1) or unshelled (Pic 2) periwinkles?

Very apt and inviting.

Yellow pepper is an essential ingredient. Some people just used "rodo". It works, but not the same.

The only thing is that afang is an expensive soup as you mentioned and the kind of fish used is usually the pricy and good ones. If in Akwaibom, the one they call inanga is great.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Very apt and inviting.

The only thing is that afang is an expensive soup as you mentioned and the kind of fish used is usually the pricy and good ones. If in Akwaibom, the one they call inanga is great.

Thanks Ima. Yea, I used two other dry fishes that I do not even know their names. The AKS woman that sold it to me swore it is tasty. Let me google the Inanga.

Hahaha! I just did. That is the fish. The dried one. I will go back and thank her. It looked very slim, I was wondering where is the meat in this kind thing biko. But she insisted I should use it first.

Yellow pepper is an essential ingredient. Some people just used "rodo". It works, but not the same.

You see this thing is subjective. Some of your brothers said you people do not know what is yellow pepper, another said removing the periwinkles from the shell is widely accepted…
Nawa!!

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Authentic ofe oha from scratch is nobody’s mate. grin
Easy soup...
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:47am On Feb 23, 2022
McDuncan:
who cares? No one gives a bleep . You can't seem to make a post on Nairaland without desperately trying to sell yourself to people. You must breathe and oscillate on attention. Damn!

And Nairaland isn't destroying picture quality. Your phone is subpar with cheap 8mp from nonstandard OEMs with China lens.

By the way, are you actually 42?

Lol. Seems your madness has started again.

My iPhone 5s is subpar?

I’ll respond to the only sensible part of your post. Yes I am 44.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by McDuncan: 11:59am On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. Seems your madness has started again.

My iPhone 5s is subpar?

I’ll respond to the only sensible part of your post. Yes I am 44.
take it easy, babe. I saw your friend asking if you were actually 42 and I just wanted to commend you for defying age. You don't look 42, expect of course your fingers and knuckles. I must commend your physical endeavour to stay in shape. Not easy, ma.

Now I was right you use a phone of 8mp. I'm a genius, babe. I saw those pics and I know your phone resolution wouldn't be more than 8mp. But you try to blame it on Nairaland. That's cheap and low.

And iPhone 5s is 8mp and belongs to the metal relics. That's a 2013 phone with a 4' screen estate. You could actually go blind squinting on Nairaland pages and post with that tiny screen.

And your soup, I wouldn't touch it even if my stomach grumbles from starvation. You are too mono-fixated on Nairaland and social media to be a good cook.

Can you describe your workout routine, please?

I want to defy age like you , ma grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by MrSamsung(m): 11:59am On Feb 23, 2022
kenny714433:
angry

It's time to ban everyone not from Akwa Ibom or Cross Rivers descent from cooking Afang soup.

Like, the soup keeps getting low everyday. How do you use unshelled periwinkle to cook a whole celebrated Afang Soup? Do you think we are talking about melon or draw soup?

Whatsoever you mean by Yellow scotch bonnet, I and fellow Akwa Ibommites and Cross Riveranians can swear that that's strange.

The Afang getting bitter is as a result of not pounding it correctly if you are using mortar and pestle. The darker afang leaves found in the wild (bush) even gives better aroma and taste.

That was how I ate onion and ginger in Afang when I visited Rivers state. Ah ah!

Honestly she tried though as compared to others. Infact I am even suspecting that she is married to an Efik/Ibibio man or she has a very tight close Ibibio lady friend for her to cook afang like this. It must be one of those.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2022
McDuncan:

And iPhone 5s is 8mp and belongs to the metal relics. That's a 2013 phone with a 4' screen estate. You could actually go blind squinting on Nairaland pages and post with that tiny screen.

Lol. I am happy you believe I use an iPhone 5s. Hopefully you would also readily agree with me when I say I visited Venus.

And your soup, I wouldn't touch it even if my stomach grumble from starvation. You are too mono-fixated on Nairaland and social media to be a good cook.

I didn’t offer you dear. So you wouldn’t even have the privilege to not touch it.

Can you describe your workout routine, please?

I want to defy age like you , ma grin

1) Take your time to read all the pages of my diary.

2) Drink lots of water, reduce toxicity and mind your business. kiss kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
MrSamsung:

Honestly she tried though as compared to others. Infact I am even suspecting that she is married to an Efik/Ibibio man or she has a very tight close Ibibio lady friend for her to cook afang like this. It must be one of those.

I have a very close Efik friend and I ask lots of questions before I dabble into ethnic meals.

kenny714433:
angryThe Afang getting bitter is as a result of not pounding it correctly if you are using mortar and pestle. The darker afang leaves found in the wild (bush) even gives better aroma and taste.

There are afang leaves that are bitter due to over maturity- THEY ARE USUALLY VERY DARK. If you don’t know, know it today or go ask your grandmother in the village.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 12:06pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Thanks Ima. Yea, I used two other dry fishes that I do not even know their names. The AKS woman that sold it to me swore it is tasty. Let me google the Inanga.

Hahaha! I just did. That is the fish. The dried one. I will go back and thank her. It looked very slim, I was wondering where is the meat in this kind thing biko. But she insisted I should use it first.

You see this thing is subjective. Some of your brothers said you people do not know what is yellow pepper, another said removing the periwinkles from the shell is widely accepted…
Nawa!!

Don't mind them. If you go to Lawanson market for instance, they usually pound the yellow pepper with the afang for you.

If you stay in Lagos and around surulere, Lawanson market is a good place to get good stuffs. They have a group of Akwaibom/cross river women there. And they use a mortar to pound the afang for you...lol.

For the periwinkles, it is typically used with the shells. But it's still based on preference. But this your soup is really appealing.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Don't mind them. If you go to Lawanson market for instance, they usually pound the yellow pepper with the afang for you.

If you stay in Lagos and around surulere, Lawanson market is a good place to get good stuffs. They have a group of Akwaibom/cross river women there. And they use a mortar to pound the afang for you...lol.

Hah! Thank you!!!!!
Finally someone that knows her way around the kitchen, not these chatterboxes. The problem is finding Akwa/Cross sellers. You know they are always more detailed because it is their food. Their periwinkles would be so clean! They appreciate the food and pay attention to details. Any other seller would just throw the thing at you. I am very grateful for this tip. On my way to Lawanson!! You don’t know what you just did for me. kiss kiss kiss

For the periwinkles, it is typically used with the shells. But it's still based on preference. But this your soup is really appealing.

True. My mum would kill me if I give her with shells. Thanks once again. embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by McDuncan: 12:18pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. I am happy you believe I use an iPhone 5s. Hopefully you would also readily agree with me when I say I visited Venus.

I didn’t offer you dear. So you wouldn’t even have the privilege to not touch it.

1) Take your time to read all the pages of my diary.

2) Drink lots of water, reduce toxicity and mind your business. kiss kiss
there we go again, Love. I most admire your inbuilt pretence.

Remember, out of the sheer need to trend, you posted your annual salary here. You didn't know it was laughable and peanuts until I divided it by 12 months and it was less than 30k grin grin grin it puts you on same rung as Buhari Npower beneficiaries (no disrespect)

You of course denied it after reality hit you. You claimed it was an incorrect figure.

Small minded people whose sense of self-value and self-worth is 100% dependent on people's perceptions of them will always spill out their private lives in public domain unwittingly and unconsciously.
I just have to wait in the shadows to pick 'em up grin

You can take my hand and learn how to live again.

I'll always be lurking around, oscillating between your need for validation and your true desire to be liberated from your mental shackles of people-pleasing.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by MrSamsung(m): 12:20pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

I have a very close Efik friend and I ask lots of questions before I dabble into ethnic meals.

Is the very close friend a lady or a sucre papito lipsrsealed
I am asking for a friend embarassed
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:23pm On Feb 23, 2022
McDuncan:
there we go again, Love. I most admire your inbuilt pretence.

Remember, out of the sheer need to trend, you posted your annual salary here. You didn't know it was laughable and peanuts until I divided it by 12 months and it was less than 30k grin grin grin it puts you on dame rung as bukari Npower beneficiaries (no disrespect)

I appreciate people like you that take the things I post very seriously. I do not take you all for granted. grin grin

You of course denied it after reality hit you. You claimed it was an incorrect figure.

Small minded people whose sense of self-value and self-worth is 100% dependent on people's perceptions of them will always spill out their private lives in public domain unwittingly and unconsciously.
I just have to wait in the shadows.

I denied nothing. Anything you say, I agree, because YES no dey cause problem.

You can take my hand and learn how to live again.

You can keep your hands to yourself.

I'll always be lurking around, oscillating between your need for validation and your true desire to be liberated from your mental shackles of people-pleasing.

Star girl is always here do you. wink

3 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:24pm On Feb 23, 2022
MrSamsung:

Is the very close friend a lady or a sucre papito lipsrsealed
I am asking for a friend embarassed

An unavailable female. smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Food: Who Would You Visit? (pic) / Christmas Day Rice About To Go Down, Check Out The Onions I Bought For #100 / See The $400 Baby Cake That Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.