Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) (33156 Views)

Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Step By Step Method Of Preparing Egg Soup In 15mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by MrSamsung(m): 12:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

An unavailable female. smiley smiley

Is all good if she is not available but you that I have seen your handwork, are you available angry
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:28pm On Feb 23, 2022
MrSamsung:

Is all good if she is not available but you that I have seen your handwork, are you available angry

Lol. We are both unavailable. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by MrSamsung(m): 12:35pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. We are both unavailable. cheesy
Chai too bad cry
By the way you did a nice job there. I only wish I can TASTE it to CONFIRM IT wink

We also have other ones like Atama and editan. The Atama own, if you cook it with banga and goat meat, I think you will always love it.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by rame18(f): 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2022
kenny714433:
angry

It's time to ban everyone not from Akwa Ibom or Cross Rivers descent from cooking Afang soup.

Like, the soup keeps getting low everyday. How do you use unshelled periwinkle to cook a whole celebrated Afang Soup? Do you think we are talking about melon or draw soup?

Whatsoever you mean by Yellow scotch bonnet, I and fellow Akwa Ibommites and Cross Riveranians can swear that that's strange.

The Afang getting bitter is as a result of not pounding it correctly if you are using mortar and pestle. The darker afang leaves found in the wild (bush) even gives better aroma and taste.

That was how I ate onion and ginger in Afang when I visited Rivers state. Ah ah!

I ate garlic inside afang soup in Port Harcourt and I was amazed, they have murdered this soup for us tongue tongue tongue
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 12:45pm On Feb 23, 2022
MrSamsung:

Chai too bad cry
By the way you did a nice job there. I only wish I can TASTE it to CONFIRM IT wink

We also have other ones like Atama and editan. The Atama own, if you cook it with banga and goat meat, I think you will always love it.

I know you guys meals sha. My friend does a good job sharing them with me. cheesy

I have tried Atama once. I’ll let you know when I try it again. Make you appraise me. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Kingdemu: 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
NOW TO THE COOKING

Pic 1: What I had after I finished steaming all the choppables.
Pic 2: Water leaf has released its water content.
Pic 3: I saw these knorr cubes and bought them. I guess this means no MSG. How we go confirm?

I'm a northerner who is obsessed with Igbo and Calabar soups. Wife has learnt to prepare almost all Igbos delicacies and a few Calabar ones, thanks to YouTube, FB food groups and our online friends. We will definitely give this one a try this weekend. As expected, meat is kinda expensive down there cos that cow leg would be gotten with like N1,500 highest over here. God bless OP

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by MrSamsung(m): 12:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

I know you guys meals sha. My friend does a good job sharing them with me. cheesy

I have tried Atama it once. I’ll let you know when I try it again. Make you appraise me. cheesy

Alright. I'll be waiting till then.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by neuf(m): 1:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
Your last step in cooking Afang tho... You either add the blended afang leave immediately you take the pot of the fire or you put in and immediately off the heat. Either way you don't put the afang leaves and allow it to cook on fire.

Our people would have given you a earful of how you just killed the Afang leaves. It bothers on taboo really where I am from

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:
Your last step in cooking Afang tho... You either add the blended afang leave immediately you take the pot of the fire or you put in and immediately off the heat. Either way you don't put the afang leaves and allow it to cook on fire.

Our people would have given you a earful of how you just killed the Afang leaves. It bothers on taboo really where I am from

Naso.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Hah! Thank you!!!!!
Finally someone that knows her way around the kitchen, not these chatterboxes. The problem is finding Akwa/Cross sellers. You know they are always more detailed because it is their food. Their periwinkles would be so clean! They appreciate the food and pay attention to details. Any other seller would just throw the thing at you. I am very grateful for this tip. On my way to Lawanson!! You don’t know what you just did for me. kiss kiss kiss

True. My mum would kill me if I give her with shells. Thanks once again. embarassed embarassed

Really? At the bolded.

Cool

3 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:15pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

I am tired of vintage Nairaland. cheesy

Thanks Maria. My friend wanted it spicy. I do not make spicy afang but I had to follow her instructions. Yellow pepper is lit, my mum would never make soup without it. cheesy

Your mum knows what's up.

I like to drop some of the yellow pepper whole in my afang. So that when I'm eating, i open it and scoop with my soup grin.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Your mum knows what's up.

I like to drop some of the yellow pepper whole in my afang. So that when I'm eating, i open it and scoop with my soup grin.

What is this naw? ? ?? cry cry cry cry
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:27pm On Feb 23, 2022
ButterBurger:
The unshelled periwinkle don spoil the soup. I once ate the meal but twas kinda difficult with the periwinkle.
It doesn't make sense trying to suck the stuff outta the shell, where I come from, they shell is thrown away and not cooked with soup.
What if it's swallowed by mistake.
People in some tribes will just think of a soup and cook it without considerations,
You can't even chew your food well

It doesn't make sense to you. But to those from there, it makes every sense. What do you mean without considerations? Some people won't eat afang without seeing those shells in it. If you swallow it, you will poo it out.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:28pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

It doesn't make sense to you. But to those from there, it makes every sense. What do you mean without considerations? Some people won't eat afang without seeing those shells in it. If you swallow it, you will poo it out.

Hahahahahahahaaha!
I dey outside abeg!!!
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by NumeroUna(f): 1:31pm On Feb 23, 2022
Senomii:

You can check wether they hv a website and order it, you can also check Jumia foods website

Okay.. I'll try that. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2022
tempest01:

The insolence to even think that you can cook the food more than those that invented it. Let me go online and get picture of what premium afang looks like. Then you compare.

Maybe I see why, the afang in your picture isn't fresh. I am not Efik or Ibibio, but im an offshoot of Ibibio. I'm just hearing from you that we don't use unshelled periwinkle. My three decades of being born and living in Akwa ibom and visiting Calabar, I've not heard such.

So the pictures below. To get best results, 2. thats what a finely sliced afang looks like. 1. And also a fresh and finely pounded afang. 3. Then that is how to chop your waterleaf to get the best result.

Your afang ratio to waterleaf as with the picture you posted is poor.

Calm down! There is no insolence anywhere. Anyone can cook anything well, depending on who they learnt in from. Saying that only an ibibio/efik person will cook it best is a fallacy.

The periwinkle is a choice, shelled or unshelled. Infact i was at my cousin's place. They grew up in the village. The afang they served me didn't have "mfi" at all. Will i throw the soup away.

Relax! It's not that deep.

4 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

What is this naw? ? ?? cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:46pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

My dad does it too and it creeps me out ehn. Like say I fit mistakenly chew/swallow am. That looks really good.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:47pm On Feb 23, 2022
spiceadole:

With unshelled periwinkles, it's no longer Afang soup.It may be Okazi but definitely,not Afang soup.
T for Tenks.

Really? I've never heard that. You mean with the shell on it?

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ButterBurger: 1:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

are you an hired killer sir
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:51pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

There is nothing poor about my afang to waterleaf ratio. Waterleaf is an exaggerated leaf, once it enters the pot, you would start looking for it. Blended afang is a huge mopper. It has a way of spreading and absorbing whatever water the waterleaf produces.

Also, afang soup thickens with the speed of light. Give it some minutes after removing from heat and it would start thickening.

Too much afang would also give a bitter taste. So balance is key to avoid ripping the soup of its sweet taste.

Where is the picture you wanted to go bring from the internet?

I really can’t see anything special in these pictures you posted. Maybe you can point me to whatever message you are trying to pass with them.

It's just paining him that someone from a different tribe did "his soup" justice. He's just looking for loopholes up and down. Soon he will say that is not the spoon they use to turn afang.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 1:52pm On Feb 23, 2022
ButterBurger:
are you an hired killer sir

Go and eat ewedu that you are used to.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by DawnG1(m): 1:57pm On Feb 23, 2022
My sister you sabi mbok, wehdon ma!
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

It's just paining him that someone from a different tribe did "his soup" justice. He's just looking for loopholes up and down. Soon he will say that is not the spoon they use to turn afang.

I don’t know what your brother wants from me o. Help me beg him abeg. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 2:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:

Chai!! Nairaland ehn!

Are you talking about edikaikong or afang. Afang leaves that are hard, you bring it down immediately? You guys should stop already.

All of you have just been trying to discredit this soup. You all acting like your egos have been bruised. Who taught you to bring it down as soon as you put the afang?

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

I don’t know what your brother wants from me o. Help me beg him abeg. cry cry

Mbok i know how many boys my father had o. He's not part of them.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by shedy03(m): 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
Oluwa o.

Nairaland is just changing the colour of my food o. Which kind wahala be this?

So what would you have this with?
Pardon me o. Na this snail looking thing I no dey like, and stopping me from partaking in the enjoyment of this soup.

By the way, I hope we all know that

SHELLED PERIWINKLES = Without shell
UNSHELLED PERIWINKLES = With shell

Because I am getting confused here. English is hard o. cheesy cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by neuf(m): 2:08pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Chai!! Nairaland ehn!

Are you talking about edikaikong or afang. Afang leaves that are hard, you bring it down immediately? You guys should stop already.

All of you have just been trying to discredit this soup. You all acting like your egos have been bruised. Who taught you to bring it down as soon as you put the afang?

do you put full leaves in your own soup?

then you need a lot of tutorials.

Afang leaves that are cut into think slices and blended is what you're calling hard.

smh
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ButterBurger: 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Go and eat ewedu that you are used to.
actually my two favorite soups are black soup and melon pepper soup.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Eaglefine(f): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

How do you like it?
With shelled (Pic 1) or unshelled (Pic 2) periwinkles?

My love for afang soup is out of this world. grin
my boyfriend now my husband thought me how to prepare it tongue

Unshelled periwinkles gives me joy while eating especially that fio fio fio sound grin grin

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Easy soup...

Ngwanu, list the ingredients.

Let’s start there first… cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:13pm On Feb 23, 2022
rame18:

I ate garlic inside afang soup in Port Harcourt and I was amazed, they have murdered this soup for us tongue tongue tongue

When you say murdered, do you mean in a good way?

Lemme know boya I’ll add garlic in mine. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Food: Who Would You Visit? (pic) / Christmas Day Rice About To Go Down, Check Out The Onions I Bought For #100 / See The $400 Baby Cake That Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.