Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) (33159 Views)

Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Step By Step Method Of Preparing Egg Soup In 15mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by motta(m): 6:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ok
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Esthered: 7:31pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Thank you for this, sisi. I am glad we have AkwaCross people like you that are truthful.

If you observe, you will notice most food bloggers are Igbos and Yorubas. Ibibio, Efik and the other SS people would hardly ever post about their food, but the day you dare cook afang or banga, they will land to tell you they do it better.

I have a colleague from Cross River, she complains of every single afang. We have begged her to cook the right way and bring for us. Until today, she hasn’t. Oya teach us na, she go say “forget, Lagos afang no be am. If my mama cook afang, compound dey full”.

I don’t want to get started on the restaurants before one of your brothers would say I went to the one owned by a Londoner.

This is 2022, I don’t know why your people still choose to make so much fuss about their meals. We are here to learn, please teach us. I didn’t even know we have such a community here on Nairaland. By now NL should be littered with indigenous meals.
Good evening, don't mind us jare, especially that your colleague. I was impressed when I saw Edikaikong on your blog. Please do Apangkukwo.....
As regards the restaurants, the thing is we're not enterprising but prefer to work as cooks cooking in big eateries that offer calabar dishes...... We have oil well, no billionaire in oil and gas from the state......Make I no talk before they'll say you nko...

3 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 7:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Kobo sef....I see.

Kobo ji enye m vibe aunty gwegwegwe grin

Ya wuru nwoke, o dikwa egwu o.

I forgot to ask; gini wu gwegwegwe? cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 7:51pm On Feb 23, 2022
Esthered:

Good evening, don't mind us jare, especially that your colleague. I was impressed when I saw Edikaikong on your blog. Please do Apangkukwo.....
As regards the restaurants, the thing is we're not enterprising but prefer to work as cooks cooking in big eateries that offer calabar dishes...... We have oil well, no billionaire in oil and gas from the state......Make I no talk before they'll say you nko...

Hmmm. I didn’t think of it that way. You have a point there. Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it coming from you. Anything you say, I will do it. grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 7:53pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

O nwehu ihe gbasara ofe oha na azu fridge.

Like I’ve said before; men adjust to the cooking and taste of their wives, and hardly the other way around.

Gi luo nwaanyi ajo ite, you have no choice but to manage, till probably she steps up.

One of my uncles, before he got married, I was the one who used to cook his soup.
He would give me money to cook it, then come by later after work to take the soup. (Ofe olugbu was his favourite)

One time, after he got married, his wife asked me Ada, ole otu I na e ji e shi ofe gi owu? M shichaa ofe, dede gi a si na owuhu otee(otu a) ka Ada na e ji e shi ya cheesy
That my uncle ehn…he adjusted laslas.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

It is the onwehu ihe gbasara azu fridge na ofe oha for me... grin grin A law.

I no go believe say I chop oha wey mackerel no dey... cheesy

Nwaanyi ajo ite enwehu ihe jikotara mu na ya o undecided What will now make me rush home after work? Just sex lipsrsealed mbanu...A woman's kitchen wonders wu huge attraction on it's own....Till date mpa m ji akpa guy iri nri outside...gi kwuo ya si gi, ole ihe i ga eshiri m, nwunye na amahu eshi.. grin shakara things.

Three women cooks his meal, my mom, his mom and my maternal mom...Ndi ozo wu management...Maybe till m luo nwaanyi..Nwunye m will join as the 4th grin

Onye luo ajo nwaanyi, ya zuwa otu ite ofe na aka deangels ( Restaurant nwunye Cubanachief priest) grin grin ma o wu mbari kitchen.

Onwehu ihe tokariri nwaanyi ma nri eshi o, especially one that can open fridge, pick available things and do magic grin grin owuhu kwa ihe noodles ma o wu pasta... lipsrsealed

Bitter leaf soup, one of the soup that usually take me to awka for a relaxation ones in a while..ya na ofe akwu. smiley
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 7:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

I forgot to ask; gini wu gwegwegwe? cheesy
Those single ladies from late 30s to 50s..

Weh still they drag gra gra talks with ladies of mid 20s and below.. cool

We still have uncle gwegwegwes...The senior Manchelors in their 40s and above...tying towel and wrapper all the time and lusting after younger girls...Acting boyoyo...Even with ishi awo.. grin grin

Chai, blunt me grin grin grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Esthered: 7:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Hmmm. I didn’t think of it that way. You have a point there. Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it coming from you. Anything you say, I will do it. grin

You're welcome Ma. Oya na, I dey wait.
I'm still struggling to get that your party jollof rice recipe you posted sometime ago. My oga dey always get am. Maybe I'm not made for the kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ishilove: 8:24pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ihavethingstodo:

Miss English teacher what is the name given to the one that is not *shelled*?
Ask google

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ihavethingstodo: 9:02pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ishilove:

Ask google

Don't ever quote me again grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 9:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
Esthered:
The OP did well mbok. We the owners of the soup pride ourselves with our cooking prowess but food blog we no get, YouTube channel nko, you no go see us but na comment section we full.
We don't own big restaurants too, Calabar kitchens that manage to exist is not always up to par with standard amala joint. I'm not a food enthusiast but if I were.....
I think we should always learn to appreciate people like the OP that put our meals in public spheres like this or open a counter thread to educate the masses if we think we do it better. Idoho easy, yak itang apaniko. Amenam OP.

But instead, they are running round this thread like headless chickens looking for what is not lost. Throwing words like insolence and sacrilege around instead of appreciating a job well done. A nyad esit tutu.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Esthered: 9:55pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

But instead, they are running round this thread like headless chickens looking for what is not lost. Throwing words like insolence and sacrilege around instead of appreciating a job well done. A nyad esit tutu.
Mbok ku yad esit eka nyen.
Good evening Ma.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by rame18(f): 8:15am On Feb 24, 2022
Mariangeles:

When you say murdered, do you mean in a good way?

Lemme know boya I’ll add garlic in mine. cheesy

Not in a good way, never try it.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ishilove: 10:03am On Feb 24, 2022
Ihavethingstodo:

Don't ever quote me again grin
Give yourself that counsel first.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by uzoma213(m): 11:40am On Feb 24, 2022
Senomii:

Portharcourt, around shell residence
But check wether you fit order am online, check wether Jumia fit get am
alright, thanks

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Strikepose20: 1:49pm On Feb 24, 2022
But the soup looks watery..just saying typical afang is always thick not too thick

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2022
Strikepose20:
But the soup looks watery..just saying typical afang is always thick not too thick

And this pot you posted is a typical afang?
Lol. I done suffer for this NL sha. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2022
pocohantas:

Don’t forget the ekpangnkwukwo she said you should do o.
Abi you use scope skip that one because of the work wey dey am? undecided

When you do it, wrap them in ugu leaves instead of cocoyam leaves. cheesy
Make WWIII start here before Russia invade Ukraine cheesy

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 3:43pm On Feb 24, 2022
rame18:

Not in a good way, never try it.

But you said you were amazed by it, and even smacked your tongue, using the emoji three times. cheesy

What if I had gone by your comment and added garlic to mine? cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2022
Mariangeles:

Don’t forget the ekpangnkwukwo she said you should do o.
Abi you use scope skip that one because of the work wey dey am? undecided

When you do it, wrap them in ugu leaves instead of cocoyam leaves. cheesy
Make WWIII start here before Russia invade Ukraine cheesy

Hahahaha. I have actually done it before and I wrapped with potato leaves. Couldn’t find wateryam leaves. I think I have it on my blog sef, not so sure if I posted it.

Abi na to even use moimoi leave wrap am? I’ll make up my mind the next time I make it.

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2022
pocohantas:

Hahahaha. I have actually done it before and I wrapped with potato leaves. Couldn’t find wateryam leaves. I think I have it on my blog sef, not so sure if I posted it.

Abi na to even use moimoi leave wrap am? I’ll make up my mind the next time I make it.

I’ll check.

Moimoi leaves. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ihavethingstodo: 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2022
Ishilove:

Give yourself that counsel first.

Miss English teacher grin!
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 4:13pm On Mar 10, 2022
FashionCookie:
My mum boils her periwinkle first(seperately)...
It brings out this greenish slimy stuff...that people hardly notice when they cook it together with the meat.
If no be afang, e no go fit be a fang. Nice one...

I tried your mum’s style. There was no greenish slimy stuff. However, I took a better look at the periwinkles while cutting and saw the slime. You can eradicate that totally by cutting deeper. I guess that is why I have never quite noticed it. I cut myself and I cut deep. It felt good using her style though. There is a clean to it and I love clean.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 4:25pm On Mar 10, 2022
pocohantas:

I tried your mum’s style. There was no greenish slimy stuff. However, I took a better look at the periwinkles while cutting and saw the slime. You can eradicate that totally by cutting deeper. I guess that is why I have never quite noticed it. I cut myself and I cut deep. It felt good using her style though. There is a clean to it and I love clean.
Yes I think the "cutting in deep style" explains it. smiley

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Theflint1(m): 10:05pm On Jul 25, 2022
Hi, please what brand of food processor would you recommend?
pocohantas:
NL keeps destroying picture quality embarassed

PREPARATION

Pic 1: I bought this cow leg @ N2400. I hope that was a good bargain. embarassed

Pic 2: Cut periwinkles. If you don’t cut it, you can’t suck it out.

Pic 3: Yellow scotch bonnet. Flavourful and spicy.

Pic 4: Stockfish and smoked panla.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 10:55pm On Jul 25, 2022
Theflint1:
Hi, please what brand of food processor would you recommend?

What brand do you have in mind? smiley
Any is fine. Just don’t buy those severe Chinese products.

What do you need a food processor for?
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Theflint1(m): 11:10pm On Jul 25, 2022
I was thinking Kenwood, but it's like 122K or so grin, but there's Binatone that's around 54K with many features that's on the Kenwood, even has a juicer. We need something to make purees and the likes for our baby, also it'd serve general home use since the one we had prior is bad.

Binatone is 800W, Kenwood, 1000W.

The price difference between the kenwood and Binatone seems much embarassed
pocohantas:

What brand do you have in mind? smiley
Any is fine. Just don’t buy those severe Chinese products.

What do you need a food processor for?
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:21pm On Jul 25, 2022
Theflint1:
I was thinking Kenwood, but it's like 122K or so grin, but there's Binatone that's around 54K with many features that's on the Kenwood, even has a juicer. We need something to make purees and the likes for our baby, also it'd serve general home use since the one we had prior is bad.

Binatone is 800W, Kenwood, 1000W.

The price difference between the kenwood and Binatone seems much embarassed

Okay then, I needed more perspective, lol. Food processors are overhyped, except you are such a foodie into chopping, mincing and slicing.

I am a Kenwood fan, but other brands serve. So Binatone is good too. I have seen a food processor of 35k. Didn’t take note of the brand though.

For your baby puree. I won’t advise you to use the same processor that you guys use generally. You would have to get a dedicated one for that. Don’t use the blender you used to chop ata rodo to make baby puree o. There are baby food makers in the market. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by DiomaKitchen: 4:05am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

How do you like it?
With shelled (Pic 1) or unshelled (Pic 2) periwinkles?

I like both as far as its afang soup grin. Yummy yummy yummy
Thanks for the step by step tips you did a great job..welldone...
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Theflint1(m): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2022
Yea, will have a cup reserved for the baby's food. I'd do the Binatone then, thank you!
pocohantas:

Okay then, I needed more perspective, lol. Food processors are overhyped, except you are such a foodie into chopping, mincing and slicing.

I am a Kenwood fan, but other brands serve. So Binatone is good too. I have seen a food processor of 35k. Didn’t take note of the brand though.

For your baby puree. I won’t advise you to use the same processor that you guys use generally. You would have to get a dedicated one for that. Don’t use the blender you used to chop ata rodo to make baby puree o. There are baby food makers in the market. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Food: Who Would You Visit? (pic) / Christmas Day Rice About To Go Down, Check Out The Onions I Bought For #100 / See The $400 Baby Cake That Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.