Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) (33062 Views)

Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Step By Step Method Of Preparing Egg Soup In 15mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:16pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:
Your last step in cooking Afang tho... You either add the blended afang leave immediately you take the pot of the fire or you put in and immediately off the heat. Either way you don't put the afang leaves and allow it to cook on fire.

Our people would have given you a earful of how you just killed the Afang leaves. It bothers on taboo really where I am from

Na wa o!

Which one we go come take bayi?
undecided
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by neuf(m): 2:19pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Na wa o!

Which one we go come take bayi?
undecided

in a way its almost the same thing but it tastes different. The most you cook the afang leave the darker the soup gets. So we prefer it being green and you only get that if you don't cook the leave that is adding it immediately taking the pot off fire or taking off the heat immediately you add the leaves
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:20pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

It's just paining him that someone from a different tribe did "his soup" justice. He's just looking for loopholes up and down. Soon he will say that is not the spoon they use to turn afang.

Or that it should be cooked outdoors with firewood. grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:22pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:

in a way its almost the same thing but it tastes different. The most you cook the afang leave the darker the soup gets. So we prefer it being green and you only get that if you don't cook the leave that is adding it immediately taking the pot off fire or taking off the heat immediately you add the leaves

Ok o.

I’m taking down notes. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Ok o.

I’m taking down notes. cheesy

Better buy higher education. grin grin

Who doesn’t know that leaves shouldn’t be overcooked? Mtcheew! We like it green indeed.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 2:28pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Who doesn’t know that leaves shouldn’t be overcooked? Mtcheew! We like it green indeed.

Na make e for no be say we dey argue ontop soup wey no be our own. grin
Make peace for reign.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 2:38pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:

do you put full leaves in your own soup?

then you need a lot of tutorials.

Afang leaves that are cut into think slices and blended is what you're calling hard.

smh

You don't know what you are talking about. Even in the village, it is not cooked that way. Seems you learnt from a Portuguese chef.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 2:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Even at that, it is not like edikaikong that you can put off the heat as you add it, afang takes longer, or else you will chewing raw leaves. These acclaimed Nairaland chefs are something else.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 2:47pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

Even at that, it is not like edikaikong that you can put of the heat as you add it, afang takes longer, or else you will chewing raw leaves. These acclaimed Nairaland chefs are something else.

I don’t even know again, Ima. I just wan hear the kind pot to use now, na wetin remain. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by wolverine1987: 2:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
FlowerGirl040:
This yellow pepper,pls where can one get it? I haven't come across it here in the north.
Oh really? In Abuja it is sold in most markets... i think they farm it in jos cos i saw baskets of jt when I travelled to jos this month and they were hawking it on the roqd
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 2:51pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Ngwanu, list the ingredients.

Let’s start there first… cheesy
Hehehehehe....I macha hu m shaa..

Oha...
Uziza(leaf)
Mmiri.. cheesy

Mkpuru akwu.
Ede.
Ogiri Anambra.
Beef.
Mackerel.
Dry cat fish.
Shelled periwinkle.

I like snail in oha too.. cheesy personal
Salt.
Seasoning cube.

Oya score me on a scale of 10.. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 3:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Or that it should be cooked outdoors with firewood. grin
Some things are cultural in a certain place...We just have to leave it for them maka peace.. grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
wolverine1987:

Oh really? In Abuja it is sold in most markets... i think they farm it in jos cos i saw baskets of jt when I travelled to jos this month and they were hawking it on the roqd
I will try to search more for it. I need to experience it. Thanks for the reply
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 3:16pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Hehehehehe....I macha hu m shaa..

Oha...
Uziza(leaf)
Mmiri.. cheesy

Mkpuru akwu.
Ede.
Ogiri Anambra.
Beef.
Mackerel.
Dry cat fish.
Shelled periwinkle.

I like snail in oha too.. cheesy personal
Salt.
Seasoning cube.

Oya score me on a scale of 10.. cheesy

Gini ka mackerel na isam choga n’ime ite ofe oha Igbo? grin
That’s like Rivers’ native soup na.

As par onye mmadu, ka’m gbalia nye gi 4/10. cheesy
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 3:19pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Some things are cultural in a certain place...We just have to leave it for them maka peace.. grin

I told my brother, and he said na ha a gwachaala’m, that I shouldn’t fight it.
Na’m were ya otu ha jiri kwuo. grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 3:25pm On Feb 23, 2022
Looks disgusting... undecided
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by neuf(m): 3:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
ImaIma1:

You don't know what you are talking about. Even in the village, it is not cooked that way. Seems you learnt from a Portuguese chef.

what village are you from??
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 3:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Gini ka mackerel na isam choga n’ime ite ofe oha Igbo? grin
That’s like Rivers’ native soup na.

As par onye mmadu, ka’m gbalia nye gi 4/10. cheesy
Brutality grin

I can't eat oha without that mackerel inside it...My taste bud adi go configured to that.

Zukwanuike which one is 4/10...o ru hu di 5 nkiti.. sad

Like my friend will say, anyhow we take cook am, na inside stomach.. cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 3:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

I told my brother, and he said ha a gwachaala’m, that I shouldn’t fight it.
Na’m were ya otu ha jiri kwuo. grin
Exactly...Somethings no need stress...Even if you will love to tweak.
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 4:00pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Brutality grin

I can't eat oha without that mackerel inside it...My taste bud adi go configured to that.

Mackerel ndu k’owu ke a miri-ami?
Ya wurugodi sef? undecided
Go and reconfigure it. cheesy

Azu ndi a na e ji e shi ofe oha wu azu ojii na ishi okporoko Kara-aka.
Gi choo, I nwere ike tii ya azu mangala.

Zukwanuike which one is 4/10...o ru hu di 5 nkiti.. sad

Like my friend will say, anyhow we take cook am, na inside stomach.. cheesy grin grin grin

Maka e nyehu’m gi 3/10 okwaya?

As long as na food, man must chop am.
Unu hugburu onwe unu! grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by ImaIma1(f): 4:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
neuf:

what village are you from??

Just forget it. You don't know how afang is made

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ishilove: 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ihavethingstodo:
I use fresh yellow pepper to prepare all my soups, it has one kind of aroma I can't interpret! Very flavorful

Nice one, Pocohantas!

I prefer unshelled periwinkles, no time to dey suck suck grin
*shelled
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ishilove: 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2022
JohnGainsville:
Oh so the Afang leaves are used somehow as the soup thickener. I initially thought it was part of the main leaves in the soup. I've learnt something today, thank you

I prefer unshelled periwinkles, sucking it out can be quite exhausting.

For me na Fufu I go like use chop am.
I'll try this out one day
*shelled

Pocohantas, the English is truly confusing grin

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ishilove:

*shelled

Pocohantas, the English is truly confusing grin

Omo! English hard abeg!

This reminds me of the question “Do you mind if I take you out this weekend?”

Na im the babe say she mind o. Whereas she intended to say she go like honour the date.cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by uzoma213(m): 5:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
Senomii:

1500,less than 20 slices, na only ritualists dey buy am, I know where dem dey sell am sha
omo shocked. Where them dey sell am abeg? I remember say e dey full belle well, I don too miss am

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Alcatel17: 5:10pm On Feb 23, 2022
pocohantas:

Omo! English hard abeg!
T
This reminds me of the question “Do you mind if I take you out this weekend?”

Na im the babe say she mind o. Whereas she intended to say she go like honour the date.cheesy

U neva really old yet but u go dey argue with all man....try dey calm down abeg...I don use ur old recipes wella...d afang recipe pure too n I will run it dz weekend....
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2022
uzoma213:
omo shocked. Where them dey sell am abeg? I remember say e dey full belle well, I don too miss am
Portharcourt, around shell residence
But check wether you fit order am online, check wether Jumia fit get am
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Munzy14(m): 5:33pm On Feb 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

Mackerel ndu k’owu ke a miri-ami?
Ya wurugodi sef? undecided
Go and reconfigure it. cheesy

Azu ndi a na e ji e shi ofe oha wu azu ojii na ishi okporoko Kara-aka.
Gi choo, I nwere ike tii ya azu mangala.

Maka e nyehu’m gi 3/10 okwaya?

As long as na food, man must chop am.
Unu hugburu onwe unu! grin
Nke amituru amitu...Heavenly...
Any fish is welcomed sha.
Taste bud Weird? I luo di dika m, you willl start adjusting grin grin Otherwise gi shi chaa, nani gi na umu gi erie ya.. grin....

Hahah kuku give me 0/10 ka m zuo ike na grin grin Start a cooking blog/vlog na....

For man, food na food...Though I value quality meal...After all I work for it.. cheesy As long as nwaanyi ma nri eshi, nsogbu adihu... grin

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Esthered: 5:38pm On Feb 23, 2022
The OP did well mbok. We the owners of the soup pride ourselves with our cooking prowess but food blog we no get, YouTube channel nko, you no go see us but na comment section we full.
We don't own big restaurants too, Calabar kitchens that manage to exist is not always up to par with standard amala joint. I'm not a food enthusiast but if I were.....
I think we should always learn to appreciate people like the OP that put our meals in public spheres like this or open a counter thread to educate the masses if we think we do it better. Idoho easy, yak itang apaniko. Amenam OP.

6 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 6:03pm On Feb 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Nke amituru amitu...Heavenly...
Any fish is welcomed sha.

O nwehu ihe gbasara ofe oha na azu fridge.

Taste bud Weird? I luo di dika m, you willl start adjusting grin grin Otherwise gi shi chaa, nani gi na umu gi erie ya.. grin....

Like I’ve said before; men adjust to the cooking and taste of their wives, and hardly the other way around.

Gi luo nwaanyi ajo ite, you have no choice but to manage, till probably she steps up.

One of my uncles, before he got married, I was the one who used to cook his soup.
He would give me money to cook it, then come by later after work to take the soup. (Ofe olugbu was his favourite)

One time, after he got married, his wife asked me Ada, ole otu I na e ji e shi ofe gi owu? M shichaa ofe, dede gi a si na owuhu otee(otu a) ka Ada na e ji e shi ya cheesy
That my uncle ehn…he adjusted laslas.

Hahah kuku give me 0/10 ka m zuo ike na grin grin Start a cooking blog/vlog na....

For man, food na food...Though I value quality meal...After all I work for it.. cheesy As long as nwaanyi ma nri eshi, nsogbu adihu... grin

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On Feb 23, 2022
Esthered:
The OP did well mbok. We the owners of the soup pride ourselves with our cooking prowess but food blog we no get, YouTube channel nko, you no go see us but na comment section we full. I'm not a food enthusiast but if I were.....
I think we should always learn to appreciate people like the OP that put our meals in public spheres like this or open a counter thread to educate the masses if we think we do it better. Idoho easy, yak itang apaniko. Amenam OP.

Thank you for this, sisi. I am glad we have AkwaCross people like you that are truthful.

If you observe, you will notice most food bloggers are Igbos and Yorubas. Ibibio, Efik and the other SS people would hardly ever post about their food, but the day you dare cook afang or banga, they will land to tell you they do it better.

I have a colleague from Cross River, she complains of every single afang. We have begged her to cook the right way and bring for us. Until today, she hasn’t. Oya teach us na, she go say “forget, Lagos afang no be am. If my mama cook afang, compound dey full”.

We don't own big restaurants too, Calabar kitchens that manage to exist is not always up to par with standard amala joint.
I don’t want to get started on the restaurants before one of your brothers would say I went to the one owned by a Londoner.

This is 2022, I don’t know why your people still choose to make so much fuss about their meals. We are here to learn, please teach us. I didn’t even know we have such a community here on Nairaland. By now NL should be littered with indigenous meals.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ihavethingstodo: 6:24pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ishilove:

*shelled

Miss English teacher what is the name given to the one that is not *shelled*?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Food: Who Would You Visit? (pic) / Christmas Day Rice About To Go Down, Check Out The Onions I Bought For #100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.