Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. (20327 Views)

My Experience As A Stammerer / I Am Dying Of A Chronic Pile / I'm 18 But My Dick Is Not Growing, Please Help!! I'm Really Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Freelane33(m): 12:15pm On Feb 24, 2022
Go to general hospital . The accident and emergency departments. Go and feed your eyes and come back here to thank me . You’re healthy . Living fine , no health challenges , no court case and you’re complaining about …… . Bro don’t be an ingrate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by jpmoriarti(m): 12:17pm On Feb 24, 2022
OP what you can do is to get a book or novel, go to an open field and read it out and loud. Do this daily and within a month, you'll start noticing a difference in your speaking.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by zyzxx(m): 12:17pm On Feb 24, 2022
MufasaLion:
Brother, I really don't know what you are going through because I ain't you, but I can only imagine it.

Firstly, you need to work on your self esteem. You gotta work on your confidence. You have to accept your situation and then determine on working on it. Don't be let down by your problem. You are a graduate and I believe you have dreams to actualize, focus more on that. Life is a journey and you gotta prepare for the battles and distractions.

Secondly, you gotta work on your communication skills. Once you could have confidence, you wouldn't be ashamed of yourself no more. There are many materials online that could help you with your communication skills (YouTube inclusive). As regards your father, there are parent(s) like that and you're unfortunate to have one. You really shouldn't worry much. Work on getting your own apartment, it will make you feel more better and happier.

Thirdly, I wouldn't want you to blame any deity for anything. This type of mentality will make you not leave the same spot and it will make you become vulnerable to clerics that would extort and manipulate you.

Lastly, follow my suggestions if you feel they worth it. I wish you well, brother.
it better you die in place of prayer than die with dippression.
Prayer is very hopeful

Pls pray, like pray till something happens
There is grace for that
I invoke divine intervention that birth divine healing on your tongue now in the name of Jesus amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by ceematics: 12:17pm On Feb 24, 2022
I'm a stammerer just like you. The first thing you need to do is to Conquer the fear of stammering. Gain confidence. See everyone as a grain of sand. No one is bigger than you. No matter the age of the person you're talking to look at them like they're not an obstacle to your fluency. Next always start talking with a low tone. If you start with a high tone you'll end up stammering. Now there are certain vowels which are hard to pronounce especially when starting a sentence,that's where English sets in,you need to know your synonyms, words you can quickly switch when it's difficult to pronounce . Get a dictionary study words. Don't stay alone or stay a long period without talking to someone it helps. Stammerer always have the best choice of words cause they hardly talk carelessly .Drink alot of water don't get dehydrated. Other tips I'll drop but start with these first. Last of all .....Make money!!!

4 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by GreatDamife(m): 12:17pm On Feb 24, 2022
Dear Op,

I can relate to what you're passing through as I was once a stammerer myself but you need not let it get at you this much.

You have to constantly remind yourself that you never created yourself and it isn't your fault. No one is born perfect. See this as your own imperfection and work towards correcting it.

Stammering is psychological, it becomes worse when one is over anxious.

I'll advise you start engaging in things that bring you pleasure. Pls join a choir too. Hang around people you're free around with; those who won't compound your woes by making mockery of you.

Most importantly, express yourself in the language you find quite easy to communicate with.

Personally, I do stammer when I communicate in my mother tongue but I find English easy to communicate with.

Stammerers are talkative. Pls restrain yourself from talking publicly when there's absolutely no need for it.

You shall overcome this with time.

With love.

3 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by ismodiwa(m): 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2022
Say what you have in mind twice before letting it out, it works..
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Kingfragz: 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2022
Try relaxing your jaw when wanting to speak...
And also think of what u want to say before saying,u can start by repeating it In your head before u voice it out,cause most times the hardest part of it is when u try to start a sentence.....07085592938
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Chigorkizz(m): 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2022
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Damnfailure: 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2022
Just understand Ur reincarnated cycle is meant to cause u pain. U can only ingore it. Or commit suicide and dam the will. In the end we are all been played by the gods. They only want our worship. That's why they create this imbalance in creation.

Note the will is the force that put creation in motion.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by donprinyo(m): 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2022
my dear, i still think yours is better compared to a fine lady I met just now in ph. she could utter one single word. keep practicing u will found a way
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by PoliteActivist: 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
My name is Henry, 27 yrs old. I am new here, it was my younger sister who introduced me to nairaland. She is a member here.

Joe Biden's stammering was the worst anyone had ever seen. Now he is world's most powerful person. Any questions?

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by mrmachine: 12:20pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
My name is Henry, 27 yrs old. I am new here, it was my younger sister who introduced me to nairaland. She is a member here.

Brilliant and intellectual minds are here so I believe you people can help me with an advice because I am so depressed and I don't know who to talk talk to about my depression.

I'm a stammerer, a chronic and dreadful one at that. I can repeat an initial word like forever before I could complete my statement. It has made me hate my life and existence. I have a very low-self esteem, I can't express myself, I can't even approach a girl not to talk of being a relationship because I'm afraid of being mocked.

I'm a graduate in accounting education from AAU. I have always dreamt of becoming a lecturer/teacher. I'm smart and intelligent, I love to impact knowledge but I can't express myself. It's a big disability for me.

Back then in University, when i went for my teaching practice, the first day I taught in a classroom, I sense an undesirable atmosphere. I knew the students were trying to laugh but they respected their selves. When I got home, I locked myself and I cried.... But life goes on.

I graduated 2017, I went for nysc 2018. Since then my life has no bearing. I have not achieved anything. I feel inadequate despite I read a lot and I'm intelligent. It pains me I can't communicate to impact knowledge without stammering.

My father is making it worse for me, he compare me with other guys, he has never appreciated any thing I've done for him, he talks down on me. He finds fault in anything I do, he talks as if I created myself.

My mom and siblings are the reason why I haven't committed suicide. They encourage me everyday, especially my mom who is sick now.

I prefer to be completely deaf and dumb than for me to talk and not be able to express myself.

God is not perfect. If God was perfect, he would not have created some people with disability or deformity. Some people were born crippled, deaf, blind etc.. And you wanna tell me God is perfect? He's a partial and sentimental God. I try to understand his vision but all I see is damages.

Please I'm so depressed. I need advice.

I was a stammered too. I had to rehearse several times before able to communicate. But what helped is that I learnt to calm down wella before talking. Also I try talking slowly , this help me a lot and now, I communicate well . Although once in a while , it hooks but I would quickly re-adjust and take control again. Just calm down and be confident
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by LandMann: 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01

Why not go into a profession that doesn't require you speaking?

Learning a programming language like Java and start using it to build apps that can solve real problems you have identified.

From there you can make money to travel outside Nigeria where you'll find professional help to help you overcome stuttering.

Also, watch a lot of YouTube videos on how to overcome stuttering.

You won't get an instant solution, but you'll definitely make good progress if you persevere and follow the advice you get on YouTube diligently pending when you can afford paid professional help.

2 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by superCleanworks(m): 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

I'm a stammerer, a chronic and dreadful one at that.

Sir Henry. Please breathe in and out. Nobody will ever truly understand your pain and frustration especially when you have so much to give but feel so limited and relegated.

If you are patient then download this movie THE KING'S SPEECH and watch it with keen attention. No distractions. I am sure you will become an improved Henry after you try some of the things you will get to learn there.

Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Tdutch: 12:22pm On Feb 24, 2022
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Idris5050(m): 12:24pm On Feb 24, 2022
MufasaLion:
Brother, I really don't know what you are going through because I ain't you, but I can only imagine it.

Firstly, you need to work on your self esteem. You gotta work on your confidence. You have to accept your situation and then determine on working on it. Don't be let down by your problem. You are a graduate and I believe you have dreams to actualize, focus more on that. Life is a journey and you gotta prepare for the battles and distractions.

Secondly, you gotta work on your communication skills. Once you could have confidence, you wouldn't be ashamed of yourself no more. There are many materials online that could help you with your communication skills (YouTube inclusive). As regards your father, there are parent(s) like that and you're unfortunate to have one. You really shouldn't worry much. Work on getting your own apartment, it will make you feel more better and happier.

Thirdly, I wouldn't want you to blame any deity for anything. This type of mentality will make you not leave the same spot and it will make you become vulnerable to clerics that would extort and manipulate you.

Lastly, follow my suggestions if you feel they worth it. I wish you well, brother.
AM ALSO A STAMMERER LIKE YOU BUT I LEARN TO TALK VERY FAST SOMETIMES PEOPLE DONT HEAR I TRY TO BE FUNNY WITH WHAT I DO THAT GAVE ME CONFIDENCE BRO PICK YOUR SELF UP AND BUILD A WORLD ONLY YOU WILL FIND HAPPINESS IN JUST LIKE HELEN KELLER DID ❤❤

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Idris5050(m): 12:26pm On Feb 24, 2022
Build your self am also a stammerer like you...I learn to talk fast, be funny I do stammering skit to make people laugh most people dont even that is the real me
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Kwara1stson: 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2022
miraculousGod:
Don't be depressed, be happy, you are not alone,
a medical doctor in my church told us he was once a chronic stammerer, but now he speaks fluently
STAMMERING IS TREATABLE
how did he do it
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Error401: 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
My I need advice.
I have a friend like you in sec. School. He was a chronic stammer. Recently when I met him and discovered that he hardly stammers anymore. He told me his secret was building self confidence and being able to discover his disability trigger. He pointed out that anxiousness and anxiety makes him stammer and calmness and meditation and great sense of relief is his solution. I hope this helps. Be calm and build confidence. Even if they laugh. Speak!!! You didn't create yourself
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Jnana19(m): 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2022
It can be reduced greatly a strong herb would calm that stammering anxiety and all
HenryIgwe01:

Brilliant and intellectual minds are here so I believe you people can help me with an advice because I am so depressed and I don't know who to talk talk to about my depression.

I'm a stammerer, a chronic and dreadful one at that. I can repeat an initial word like forever before I could complete my statement. It has made me hate my life and existence. I have a very low-self esteem, I can't express myself, I can't even approach a girl not to talk of being a relationship because I'm afraid of being mocked.

I'm a graduate in accounting education from AAU. I have always dreamt of becoming a lecturer/teacher. I'm smart and intelligent, I love to impact knowledge but I can't express myself. It's a big disability for me.

Back then in University, when i went for my teaching practice, the first day I taught in a classroom, I sense an undesirable atmosphere. I knew the students were trying to laugh but they respected their selves. When I got home, I locked myself and I cried.... But life goes on.

I graduated 2017, I went for nysc 2018. Since then my life has no bearing. I have not achieved anything. I feel inadequate despite I read a lot and I'm intelligent. It pains me I can't communicate to impact knowledge without stammering.

My father is making it worse for me, he compare me with other guys, he has never appreciated any thing I've done for him, he talks down on me. He finds fault in anything I do, he talks as if I created myself.

My mom and siblings are the reason why I haven't committed suicide. They encourage me everyday, especially my mom who is sick now.

I prefer to be completely deaf and dumb than for me to talk and not be able to express myself.

God is not perfect. If God was perfect, he would not have created some people with disability or deformity. Some people were born crippled, deaf, blind etc.. And you wanna tell me God is perfect? He's a partial and sentimental God. I try to understand his vision but all I see is damages.

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by emmyluizzz: 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2022
hahahahahahaha
so how you take write all these notes here without repeating words
abi na person write am for you
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Bounceboune7: 12:29pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

u can't b a stamerer n a teacher,it can't work

Focus on your area of strength n look for ways to turn it to money
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Nefort: 12:30pm On Feb 24, 2022
CastingCrowns:
There was a group I joined and a lot of people have the following solution to stammering: Get an empty snail shell, put water inside and drink morning and evening, they said it was very effective... Please try it out if u can.
I checked your profile picture to see who is giving this advice and I was surprised you look educated to come up with that absurd advice.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by jeff1607(m): 12:31pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Just talk slowly, it works
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Kwara1stson: 12:31pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryDion:
Your first sentence gave me goosebumps.

I'm Henry, 27 years, a graduate, and was once a stammerer.

The similarities are eye popping.

I can totally relate to the loss of esteem, and embarrassment when you experience a block.

Scientists don't know what causes it, but I believe it's purely psychological.

Ever wondered why you don't stammer when talking to yourself?

It's a long road to finally defecting this impairment. But if you're determined, you can live a stuttering free life.

I'm proof.
how did you do it
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Kirchoffs: 12:32pm On Feb 24, 2022
Jennyclay:
Hmmm... Indeed you are so depressed.

The good news about your post is that... you have just Discovered yourself and I'm so happy for that. Now Listen to me.

While I was growing up, I have always wanted to be a lawyer because "I talk too much" But that wasn't God's plan for me. I discovered my purpose in life when I was in S.S.1 3rd term.

I went to command secondary school ipaja Lagos (boarding house). Your Junior Waec results determines if you belong to science, commercial or art class. When our results came out and the list were shuffled. I saw myself in science class but I purposely went to register myself in art class.

I was bored in my 1st & 2nd term in art class. no calculation courses apart from mathematics. I was tired of reading long notes without practicals or calculations. I wrote a letter to our commandant stating why I wanna go back to Sci class. Then he approved it.

Today I'm a medical laboratory technician in a prestigious hospital here in Lagos. And I also do business.

Now here is my point: YOU want to be a lecturer/teacher but is that God's plan for you?? Now that you have discovered yourself, kill that mentality of becoming a lecturer/teacher. That's not your purpose in life take it OR leave it. Else you will commit suicide and die for nothing.

@27 You're still young. Work on your confidence, Set a goal, ask yourself where do want to be in next 5 years. Think critically and research about businesses to learn and venture into.

ABOVE ALL, PRAY TO GOD FOR GUIDANCE. Ask God for forgiveness for the rubbish you wrote in your last paragraph.
HenryIgwe take this advice , it's the best you can get
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by philipstanley(m): 12:33pm On Feb 24, 2022
Something has really changed about Nairaland!
Reading through the comment for the first time since I join NL this is the first thread I read how calm and sensible members here comment without commenting rubbish.

Back to the topic. Bro I understand how you feel, I use to be a stammerer, I understand how hard life is especially when you are trying to make a point or win an argument. It's a bad experience but now I stammer a little and I avoid been angry.

4 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by IamRegal: 12:33pm On Feb 24, 2022
MufasaLion:

Oh, since you so much value the ancient way of life and archaic mode of treatment, why don't you just start riding horses and drinking from the dirty river water?

And boy, don't forget to stop using phones because you're typing too much bullshit!

Stop forming woke, you don't know it all, if you are reluctant to learn you won't grow. People will hoard info from you because they know you will jettison the idea even when you know nothing about it.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by FlashyAngel: 12:33pm On Feb 24, 2022
Young man don't make the mistake of blaming God. You write so well. Your grammar and punctuation are topnotch. Have you considered some career in writing? You can be an editor, blogger, freelancer etc. You want to lecture but that doesn't mean your career should start from there immediately. Start something and other doors and opportunities will open up. Have patience and remain consistent.

Secondly, I can't explain but God alone knows why all human beings do not have equal ability. God used Moses a great stammerer to do the greatest migration ever recorded. A whole nation of men, women, old and young. Imagine that! For forty years on foot, God exercised his wonders through them.

Build your confidence in yourself. A girl that loves you for you will grab you. All you need is to be nice, respectful, courteous and kind. Have a sense of humour. Laugh at life. Do not always project an image of frustration. Be cheerful. Use your writing skill if your speaking skill is not flowing.

No matter who or how you are, if you humble yourself before God he will use you. You are a stammerer but it is not the worst case scenario.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Chijeep(m): 12:34pm On Feb 24, 2022
not a surprise though

OP follow these simple steps and it'll reduce your stammering by 45% because stammering can't 100% go completely but you can limit yours.
>Stammering mostly occurs when there's a disconnection between the brain and the organs that produce sound to the mouth so try to follow these steps
1. Try to be reducing your worryness. I.E, always try to be happy. When you're happy your body systems works more effectively .
2. Make sure you always have more rest/sleep because this alone will help reset your thinking and it'll pave way for free communication between your brain and your sound system.
3. Focus on your speech and your sight when uttering it. That is, learn to master words that goes well with your tongue so that you can focus on them when saying it and when speaking make sure that your face is fixed in a place that won't distract your communication.
4. Get yourself to practice more easy words that can help you feel free while talking.
NB :- 99% of people stammers but most of them is not habitual. Some are when they run out of words or when the meaning doesn't communicate with their definition.

THANKS AS YOU TRY THEM OUT. I'M ALSO A STAMMERER BUT IT HAVE BEEN REDUCING EVER SINCE I LEARN TO CONTROL IT
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by EMEKUSBOY9(m): 12:35pm On Feb 24, 2022
My guy be yourself, and always feel confident, and also stop thinking u stammer..... Because this is a psychological thing ( this is the first step of your victory)

You can achieve anything u want in life if u dont see you have any limit

As for talking to women...

Do u know some women love guys that stammers? ( put this in your mind)

So, keep going out and keep searching till u find that one woman ( not two) who God and nature has created for u alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Expect More Ebola Virus Cases In Nigeria – FG / Woman Performs Own Caesarean To Save Baby / UPTH Delivers First IVF Baby In Port-Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.