Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (8923 Views)

#5 Reasons Why You Should Use E-banking In Nigeria / How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? / Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by maclatunji: 9:37am On Jul 02, 2011
Tell them hercules, if you like call a car an automobile it does not change it from being what it is- hehehe!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by maclatunji: 9:37am On Jul 02, 2011
Tell them hercules, if you like call a car an automobile it does not change it from being what it is- hehehe!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2011
hercules07:

Regulation is an iterative process, you put something in place, see how it works, you refine it some more, you continually refine your regulations, our problem is we set up some rules and they stay for decades without them being refined, an example is our curriculum in schools.

Didn't you kill your argument by stating that Nigeria doesn't do things the right way? Even when Nigeria gets policy, implementation is usally shoddy. If we are to follow your logic, why wont average citizens fight the implementation of Islamic Banking?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by koruji(m): 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2011
Brother maclatunji:
You don't give up do you. Well as they say "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still", and it seems to apply here grin grin grin
That is not a problem here because these are our public affairs - where private opinions must take the back seat to the public good.

maclatunji:

Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hercules07: 6:31pm On Jul 03, 2011
Kat

I dont get your point, Sanusi is implementing policies, that is what we have been asking for, I am saying that these policies evolve, I believe he has modified the Islamic Banking thing recently, when superior arguments are raised, policy makers should look at it and make amends where necessary, killing off Islamic banking because of some bigots is not on. Sanusi is doing what we expect our leaders to do, imagine if our laws were followed and implemented by our leaders, Nigeria will be a better place.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2011
hercules07:

Kat

I dont get your point, Sanusi is implementing policies, that is what we have been asking for, I am saying that these policies evolve, I believe he has modified the Islamic Banking thing recently, when superior arguments are raised, policy makers should look at it and make amends where necessary, killing off Islamic banking because of some bigots is not on. Sanusi is doing what we expect our leaders to do, imagine if our laws were followed and implemented by our leaders, Nigeria will be a better place.

Are you suggesting that Islamic Banking policies are evolving? Surely that can't be, as it is yet to take off. If he modified it recently, what exactly did he do? I am yet to get answers to some of the questions I raised before

'It remains indeterminate the extent to which Christians will be allowed to participate in Islamic Banking. For instance, ceteris paribus, a non-Muslim investor would be at a disadvantage if his muslim rival can obtain funds at zero interest (if he is prevented from Islamic Banking) while he is struggling to obtain a loan with interest rates in double digits; particularly if the Nigerian State invests in Islamic Banking. How will the CBN prevent some investors from exploiting the system i.e depositing the bulk of their funds in conventional banks and receiving interest and obtaining interest free loans from Islamic Banks? It would be a shame for the CBN to create a multi-tier banking system which advances the position of certain investors while putting others at a disadvantage. These and other questions remain unanswered.'

Pakistan is the largest Muslim country in the world, why has Islamic Banking more or less collapsed there? Why aren't the biggest banks in the richer Muslim countries? Why are the biggest Islamic banks State-owned Iranian banks? Why are there no Islamic banks in non-muslim countries? Why are Islamic banks charging Riba in Muslim countries such as Bangladesh and Malaysia? Does SLS know something that these other countries don't?

Lets try to put things into perspective before we assume that Sanusi has everything worked out. Because if he hasn't, the fall-out will not be on him only.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hercules07: 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2011
I believe christians will be allowed to participate, I am already putting together a business plan that I will take to the banks when they take off, when Islamic banking takes off, I expect Sanusi or whoever is the CBN governor to see how the existing policies work and to evolve them, it is the fallibility of the system that makes it imperative to iterate.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 7:01pm On Jul 03, 2011
hercules07:

I believe christians will be allowed to participate, I am already putting together a business plan that I will take to the banks when they take off, when Islamic banking takes off, I expect Sanusi or whoever is the CBN governor to see how the existing policies work and to evolve them, it is the fallibility of the system that makes it imperative to iterate.

So basically, you will be one of the smart investors who will leave bulk of funds in interest bearing accounts but go to Islamic banks for interest free loans? Or will you be moving the bulk of your funds to an Islamic bank?

BTW, I noticed you don't have answers to the other questions.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hercules07: 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2011
I will be going to the banks to partner with them, I do not have any bulk of funds anywhere, I start with a business, we grow together, whatever money I make, I put with the bank that partners with me in growing my business, if it is the Islamic bank, so be it, of what use have the conventional banks been to me?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by koruji(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2011
Although the CBN has modified the rules much of what remain is still strictly based on Sharia-backed Islamic Banking.

What they have done is to make it sound less like a religious institution by deleting things like "Sharia Advisory Council", "Sharia-Compliance", but the nitty-gritty of the rules remain. That means if a non-interest bank is set up as an Islamic Bank it is likely to exclude christians - unless such a christian is really ready to learn Sharia before engaging in business. If you looked at the actual rules and think it allows a christian to participate then that would be good to know.

They have (at least that is the claim) modified the rules so that non-interest, non-Islamic Banks can also be established.

hercules07:

Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2011
hercules07:

I will be going to the banks to partner with them, I do not have any bulk of funds anywhere, I start with a business, we grow together, whatever money I make, I put with the bank that partners with me in growing my business, if it is the Islamic bank, so be it, of what use have the conventional banks been to me?

So you expect that an Islamic Bank (moreso one in Nigeria) will advance funds with significant funds in a personal account. Please try to read about the dearth of loans to SMEs in Iran since Islamic Banking took off.

I am really interested to see how it will work in a country with interest rates in double digits.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hercules07: 8:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
We are pre-empting, let us wait for the banks to kick off, if they are well run, they will make it if not they die off.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 8:27pm On Jul 03, 2011
hercules07:

We are pre-empting, let us wait for the banks to kick off, if they are well run, they will make it if not they die off.

You mean non-Muslims should ignore the implementation and results in other countries that are more Islamic (going by proportion) than Nigeria? You mean Nigerians should ignore anticipated consequences of the Nigeria State allowing Islamic banks to fail when the scourge of Boko Haram is still very evident?

SLS should tell Nigerians why this implementation will be different and why it will succeed.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by jimmysho(m): 8:36pm On Jul 03, 2011
With the present demand of the boko haram for total islamization of the country, do u think they wont start to blow up non sharia complant banks? your guess is as good as mine. this bank will never see the light of the day. let mark today down
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 9:32pm On Jul 03, 2011
This Islamic Banking issue reminds me of Abacha pegging the Naira to the Dollar at N22 to the Dollar while the Naira was exchanging at N77 to the dollar in the black market. A lot of Abacha's friends made a killing. With conventional banks giving loans at rates in double digits; friends of top clerics, SLS, and bank directors will obtain interest-free loans. When it fails, the government will allow innocent depositors to lose their funds or SLS will bail them out.

I know this view is pessimistic but it predicated on two factors

1. The implementation and the Success/failure ratio of Islamic banks in other Islamic countries
2. The usual flawed and often incompetent implementation of policy in Nigeria.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by KayB: 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2011
Hipocrisy will be rampant towards the end time; ALLAH says. All of u nurture sentiment wt ur views. Secularity gives u freedom to choose that is why we have private religious universities & u go to whr u prefer. why this fuss? MYOPIA .!!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2011
Katsumoto:

Are you suggesting that Islamic Banking policies are evolving? Surely that can't be, as it is yet to take off. If he modified it recently, what exactly did he do? I am yet to get answers to some of the questions I raised before

'It remains indeterminate the extent to which Christians will be allowed to participate in Islamic Banking. For instance, ceteris paribus, a non-Muslim investor would be at a disadvantage if his muslim rival can obtain funds at zero interest (if he is prevented from Islamic Banking) while he is struggling to obtain a loan with interest rates in double digits; particularly if the Nigerian State invests in Islamic Banking. How will the CBN prevent some investors from exploiting the system i.e depositing the bulk of their funds in conventional banks and receiving interest and obtaining interest free loans from Islamic Banks? It would be a shame for the CBN to create a multi-tier banking system which advances the position of certain investors while putting others at a disadvantage. These and other questions remain unanswered.'

Pakistan is the largest Muslim country in the world, why has Islamic Banking more or less collapsed there? Why aren't the biggest banks in the richer Muslim countries? Why are the biggest Islamic banks State-owned Iranian banks? Why are there no Islamic banks in non-muslim countries? Why are Islamic banks charging Riba in Muslim countries such as Bangladesh and Malaysia? Does SLS know something that these other countries don't?

Lets try to put things into perspective before we assume that Sanusi has everything worked out. Because if he hasn't, the fall-out will not be on him only.

Kat

What is this question about? There will be rules guiding Islamic banking, if the christians can not abide by these rules, they should saty clear. Simples. its not compulsory for you to do any business with the Islamic banks. Quit worrying about viability of the banks, its a business, if it doesn't perform, it goes down.

To buttress my point, covenant university is christian, muslims go there on condition, they do whatever they do there. Declare they are born again, have pastors as referees, attend church services, etc. should the muslims call for cancellation of covenant university because these acts are discriminatory? The point is its not compulsory for those muslim kids to go to covenant. This is the point.

If a christian chooses to bank with Islamic bank, he should be prepared to follow islamic rules period. Enough of political correctness.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2011
KayB:

Hipocrisy will be rampant towards the end time; ALLAH says. All of u nurture sentiment wt your views. Secularity gives u freedom to choose that is why we have private religious universities & u go to whr u prefer. why this fuss? MYOPIA .!!

Secularity my foot.

They have a whole sunday to worship the lord, christmas good friday easter etc holidays, private christian universities, swear in public officers with bible, get sponsored to jerusalem every year using government funds and they shout secularity any time they hear Islam.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by aljharem3: 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Secularity my foot.

They have a whole sunday to worship the lord, christmas good friday easter etc holidays, private christian universities, swear in public officers with bible, get sponsored to jerusalem every year using government funds and they shout secularity any time they hear Islam.

gbammmmmmm well said
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Katsumoto: 11:41pm On Jul 03, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Kat

What is this question about? There will be rules guiding Islamic banking, if the christians can not abide by these rules, they should saty clear. Simples. its not compulsory for you to do any business with the Islamic banks. Quit worrying about viability of the banks, its a business, if it doesn't perform, it goes down.

To buttress my point, covenant university is christian, muslims go there on condition, they do whatever they do there. Declare they are born again, have pastors as referees, attend church services, etc. should the muslims call for cancellation of covenant university because these acts are discriminatory? The point is its not compulsory for those muslim kids to go to covenant. This is the point.

If a christian chooses to bank with Islamic bank, he should be prepared to follow islamic rules period. Enough of political correctness.

Nigeria is not a Muslim country and neither is Nigeria predominantly Muslim. They are valid questions because given Nigeria's antecedents, one must remain vigilant. I have raised several points about the vaibility of Islamic Banking which has not been addressed by any of those that are arguing for Islamic Banking. They keep stating that it is a business and as such, one shouldn't be concerned. But we know that there is a logical way for the rest of the world and there is a Nigerian way.

You picked on the point where I mentioned Christians (or non-muslims) being allowed to partcipate. What about the other points. What if there is an agenda to empower to enrich Northern Muslims using the CBN. If non-Muslims are only able to borrow funds at double-digit interest rates while Muslims are able to borrow at Zero interest with the CBN using public funds to support such projects, do you agree that non-muslims are at a disadvantage  when competing with Muslim-owned businesses?

Lets hear your views or SLS's views on how he intends to prevent the creation of un unfair multi-tier banking system. Can you tell us how the CBN will prevent Muslims from depositing the bulk of their funds (say N1000) with a conventional bank and minor funds (say N10) and obtaining interest free loans from a government backed Islamic bank. Despite being incoporated in 2003, JAIZ bank still hasn't commenced operation; surely a truly feasible and viable bank shouldn't have trouble raising funds.

See below for information from JAIZ Bank; can you pick a single reason why investing in JAIZ bank? Information provided is completely woolly. The only data that might interest an investor relates to conventional banking. They can't sell that bank. This is supposed to be the premier Islamic Bank, yet they haven't bothered to update their website since 2005.

WHY WOULD YOU INVEST IN JAIZ?

• As result of the recent economic reforms, the Nigerian Economy is stabilising and the growth prospects over the next 3 to 4 years are bright as stated by the Honourable Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Akonjo Iweala.

•  The people behind it . Some of these are : Dr Rilwan Lukman , Dr Umaru Abdul Mutallab , Prof T.A. Adebiyi ( about 20 years in IDB and 5 years in OPEC Fund ), etc 

• Huge demand for Islamic Bank in Nigeria and West Africa .

• Distinct product. None of the banks in Nigeria is currently offering full fledged interest free banking. 

• Banking is a profitable business in Nigeria with returns above inflation year in year out. See survey by The Banker Of London in the business plan.

• The prospects of emerging markets, especially post 9/11 where discerning investors need to diversify their investment destination.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by samquad(m): 12:00am On Jul 04, 2011
@all, nice reasoning and argument. This thread has shown me lot of things. I have seen how muslims were able to defend islamic banking wt prove and fact. i realized that islam is much than a religion but a way of life cos it covers and provide solution to every arear of human life (thought it is widely abuse). I have seen the fear of christians based on past experience bt i must confess most of their argument are sentimental rather than factual. For me, i belief islamic banking is a good idea that wil accommodate million of muslim that dont bank and may be d solution to our economic mess.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hasyak(m): 12:18am On Jul 04, 2011
samquad:

@all, nice reasoning and argument. This thread has shown me lot of things. I have seen how muslims were able to defend islamic banking wt prove and fact. i realized that islam is much than a religion but a way of life cos it covers and provide solution to every arear of human life (thought it is widely abuse). I have seen the fear of christians based on past experience bt i must confess most of their argument are sentimental rather than factual. For me, i belief islamic banking is a good idea that wil accommodate million of muslim that dont bank and may be d solution to our economic mess.
[/quote

+6
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by freepeople: 1:45am On Jul 04, 2011
I salute my fellow Nigerians who are muslims. I'm a Christian; and I'm never against the establishment of an Islamic Bank in Nigeria. But we got some legitimate concern that needs to be addressed. I've asked these questions before expecting Jarus to answer them. But it seems like my questions achieved the opposite by driving Jarus out of the discussion. Katsumoto has been repeating the same question, but no one seems to address those issues. The questions are:

[size=8pt]1. Who's gonna take the bad debt of the bank? Taxpayers? .

2. Don't you think that granting an advantage to a borrower based on religion is a flashpoint for future conflict?

3. What if the government refuses to rescue the bank in the event of insolvency; don't you think that muslim radicals will blame the conventional banks for the demise of their bank?

4. How can the bank be able to deal with default in payment?

5. Even if there is no default in payment; how can they be able to pay their workers?

6. Don't you think that some borrowers will abuse the system by borrowing money from a no-interest bank and fixing the money in an interest-generating bank using another person's id?

7. Can this be sustained on the long run without asking the taxpayers to come to its rescue?

8. Should banks discriminate borrowers in a multi-religious Nigeria, based on religion or sect?
[/size]

My fellow Nigerians. Please stop beating around the bush. Stop the habit of ignoring the message and attacking the messenger.
Address these issues. You can even decide to throw these questions to to the proponent-in-chief of no-interest Islamic banking in Nigeria(SLS), whenever he comes around to your mosque preaching about its merits. We can't afford to engage in another wasteful spending.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 7:52am On Jul 04, 2011
Katsumoto:

Nigeria is not a Muslim country and neither is Nigeria predominantly Muslim. They are valid questions because given Nigeria's antecedents, one must remain vigilant. I have raised several points about the vaibility of Islamic Banking which has not been addressed by any of those that are arguing for Islamic Banking. They keep stating that it is a business and as such, one shouldn't be concerned. But we know that there is a logical way for the rest of the world and there is a Nigerian way.

What do you mean Nigeria is not predominantly muslim? Do you have facts about this statement? This is the problem I have with politically correct people. So in your opinion, Nigeria does not have enough muslims to warrant creation of institutions that recognises the muslim population? This is absolutely unfair to the muslims in Nigeria. I bet you support laws passed in the US to support man-lover rights even though they are not upto 5% of the US population.

You picked on the point where I mentioned Christians (or non-muslims) being allowed to partcipate. What about the other points. What if there is an agenda to empower to enrich Northern Muslims using the CBN. If non-Muslims are only able to borrow funds at double-digit interest rates while Muslims are able to borrow at Zero interest with the CBN using public funds to support such projects, do you agree that non-muslims are at a disadvantage  when competing with Muslim-owned businesses?

The job of CBN is to regulate not support. I don't think you should be arguing with "what ifs" we all know any system can be compromised, that doesn't mean we throw away the baby with the bath water. Billions of naira have been stolen through conventional banks and the stock market, nobody has asked for scrapping of those institutions. About disadvantages, that's life my brother. We are not in a communist society where you seek to make everybody equal. The most important thing is for people to be able to make a choice.

Lets hear your views or SLS's views on how he intends to prevent the creation of un unfair multi-tier banking system. Can you tell us how the CBN will prevent Muslims from depositing the bulk of their funds (say N1000) with a conventional bank and minor funds (say N10) and obtaining interest free loans from a government backed Islamic bank. Despite being incoporated in 2003, JAIZ bank still hasn't commenced operation; surely a truly feasible and viable bank shouldn't have trouble raising funds.

We are saying the same thing here, if JAIZ is not able to raise funds, why hasn't CBN raised it for them since? You claimed that this banking system is government backed, see the contradiction? I repeat the viability of the business should be the concern of investors, regulating to make sure depositors are protected is the job of CBN. The CBN doesn't need to prevent muslims from depositing their money whereever they deem fit, every other person can do that, why prevent the muslims?

See below for information from JAIZ Bank; can you pick a single reason why investing in JAIZ bank? Information provided is completely woolly. The only data that might interest an investor relates to conventional banking. They can't sell that bank. This is supposed to be the premier Islamic Bank, yet they haven't bothered to update their website since 2005.

WHY WOULD YOU INVEST IN JAIZ?

• As result of the recent economic reforms, the Nigerian Economy is stabilising and the growth prospects over the next 3 to 4 years are bright as stated by the Honourable Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Akonjo Iweala.

•  The people behind it . Some of these are : Dr Rilwan Lukman , Dr Umaru Abdul Mutallab , Prof T.A. Adebiyi ( about 20 years in IDB and 5 years in OPEC Fund ), etc 

• Huge demand for Islamic Bank in Nigeria and West Africa .

• Distinct product. None of the banks in Nigeria is currently offering full fledged interest free banking. 

• Banking is a profitable business in Nigeria with returns above inflation year in year out. See survey by The Banker Of London in the business plan.

• The prospects of emerging markets, especially post 9/11 where discerning investors need to diversify their investment destination.

The most important thing in a democratic setting is freedom of choice. You can not close your eyes to yearnings of at least 50% of your population because of unwarranted phobia. All we need to worry about is that Islamic banking is not funded by government which will be unfair to other religions in the land. If it fails, it becomes a point of lesson to the muslims that that model can not work. Then it will not be blamed on the other religions.

We all want federation where our different choices will be recognised, don't we?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by maclatunji: 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2011
Stanbic IBTC has just received License for operating Islamic bank. They must be very baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Christians managing that bank O. grin grin grin grin
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Pukkah: 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2011
Stanbic IBTC gets licence for Islamic banking operations in Nigeria

The Central Bank of Nigeria [CBN], has given Stanbic IBTC bank [a unit of Standard Bank Group Ltd] a license to operate Islamic banking services in Nigeria.

This revelation was given by the Deputy Governor of the apex bank Kingsley Moghalu on Sunday.

A preliminary license was awarded to Stanbic last week for a Shariah-compliant banking window, the first one given to a commercial bank in Nigeria, Moghalu said in an interview in South Africa�s capital, Pretoria, on July 1. Islam bans paying and receiving interest.

Central bank Governor Lamido Sanusi said on June 20 Nigeria wants to be a �hub of Islamic finance" in the region and plans to sell its first Islamic bond, known as sukuk, within 18 months.

�We know a number of other banks are interested in applying for non-interest banking windows," Moghalu said. �We are preparing our officials to be able to regulate that space, and a lot of training is taking place in that context."

The CBN has already given approval to Jaiz International Bank Plc, a local lender with international investors, to open the country�s first Shariah-compliant bank, Moghalu said.
Stanbic has a license to begin operating Islamic banking branches within six months and if it fails to do so within that time, the lender will need to reapply for approval, he said.

According to Moghalu, Islamic banking �has significant potential but it�s subject to the risks that go with every other type of banking activity."

The introduction of non-interest banking in Nigeria, thereby known as Islamic banking, has been trailed by wide range anger and disagreement by religious groups in the country.
�The President of the Christian Association of Nigeria had said last week that the CBN has introduced religion into the Nigerian banking sector and condemns the introduction of Islamic banking in Nigeria.

In a swift reaction to the rejection of non-interest banking in the country by religious groups, Islamic leaders said Islamic banking has become a global phenomenon.

"It has been adopted in more than 75 Countries across the World. Some of these are Christian States or with predominantly Christian population such as United States, United Kingdom, Germany and France. In Asia, many Countries, including Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Malaysia are operating the Islamic Banking System. In Africa, such countries like South Africa, Egypt, Senegal, The Gambia, Niger, Kenya, Tanzania, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia and Benin Republic have also embraced Islamic Banking". The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) said in its statement.

http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=27719&cat=Business
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by hercules07: 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2011
Ope ooooooooooo, I bank with Stanbic and have not benefitted anything in the last 12 years of banking with them, God don catch them, if they do not share profit with me on my business ventures, I am reporting them to Sanusi sharp sharp, I am so so happy, abeg when are they rolling out ooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Jarus(m): 9:32pm On Jul 04, 2011
Not surprised at StanbicIBTC quickly grabbing the window. If I was asked to predict, I would have predicted stanbic, and maybe GT, as banks to quickly adopt. I'm sure Stanbic would have adopted it if the regulatory framework had existed years ago. They pioneered ethical investment in Nigeria far back 1997 or so) and their ethical fund is one of the leadiing and earliest in Nigeria. I have never doubted ANAP's business sense. I see GTB also following suit soon.

As for the bail-out question, Islamic banking is not for Muslims only. Also note that Muslims also pay tax. But more importantly, Islamic banking is more of an alternative banking option than religious, even though derived from religious principle. If not so, Islamic Finance will not be treated as part of Economics, rather than religious study, in wstern economic discourses/schools. Islamic banking has trascended religion, it's Islam's gift to economics. We should look beyond religion in Nigeria too.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by BetaThings: 7:31am On Jul 06, 2011
Jarus:

Not surprised at StanbicIBTC quickly grabbing the window. If I was asked to predict, I would have predicted stanbic, and maybe GT, as banks to quickly adopt. I'm sure Stanbic would have adopted it if the regulatory framework had existed years ago. They pioneered ethical investment in Nigeria far back 1997 or so) and their ethical fund is one of the leadiing and earliest in Nigeria. I have never doubted ANAP's business sense. I see GTB also following suit soon.

As for the bail-out question, Islamic banking is not for Muslims only. Also note that Muslims also pay tax. But more importantly, Islamic banking is more of an alternative banking option than religious, even though derived from religious principle. If not so, Islamic Finance will not be treated as part of Economics, rather than religious study, in wstern economic discourses/schools. Islamic banking has trascended religion, it's Islam's gift to economics. We should look beyond religion in Nigeria too.
Stanbic has been researching islamic banking since 2009
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Jarus(m): 8:32am On Jul 06, 2011
Who's afraid of Islamic banking? A Christian igbo writes:
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/capital%20matters/2011/capital-matters-july-04-2011.html
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by chamber2(m): 9:34am On Jul 06, 2011
Who's afraid of Islamic banking? A Christian igbo writes:

Remember, the poster of this thread is also a core northern muslim.Moreso, Sanusi is rich enough to bribe a handful of igbos to achieve his ambition no doubt.If jarus becomes the cbn governor and decides to introduce islamic banking i ,an igbo man, will support him and so will other igbos.The reality is that northern muslims are notorious extremists and we cannot afford to trust them this time, especially when sanusi is leading the campaign.

The issue of Islamic banking is far beyond non interest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tomato Factory: Dangote, Kubau Communities To Resolve Land Dispute / TOP TRENDY MADE IN NIGERIA BRANDS MAKING WAVES / How To Set Up The Perfect Home Work Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.