Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,488 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions (31132 Views)

Chinese Company Stops Construction Of Niger's Kandadji Dam Over Sanctions / Japan Criticize Russian Withdrawal From WW2 Peace Treaty Talks Over Sanctions / Russia Threatens To Destroy 32 Nato Satellites To Cripple Missile Systems (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Holger: 5:04pm On Mar 03, 2022
Triangles1:
Don't be surprised the west cooked this war in other to seize some of Russian investment, Putin supposed to carry his billionaire families along this war, it may look as if Russia is winning but the west are on top of the game,
If you know you know.

Wisdom is profitable power only exhaust the strength.

Putin on hardwork.
The west on smart work.
and who told you he's doing it because of power
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Holger: 5:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
RichDad1:
Retaliation time. Interesting days ahead.
Personally, I think the world would cope without Russia. However, not sure Russia can cope without majority of the rest of the world.
China can survive without anybody on their own if they can Russia can after all the west depend on them for their gas and other natural resources

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by chiedozie198100: 5:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
Knowing what happened to the last czar of Russia in 1917, I think Putin is ready to fight to finish.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by d142475: 5:13pm On Mar 03, 2022
angelfallz:
https://www.quora.com/Whos-winning-Ukraine-or-Russia/answer/Paul-Denlinger?ch=15&oid=341949069&share=35048d7e&srid=uT7V2k&target_type=answer

Who's winning, Ukraine or Russia?
In times like this, it helps me to look back to get perspective.

In 1989, there were the Tiananmen demonstrations in Beijing, where students called for western-style freedom and democracy, and urged Deng Xiaoping and the Chinese Communist Party to relinquish power.

The most famous image from that time is the image of tank man, the individual who became a symbol for so many people in the west of the desire among ordinary Chinese for freedom and democracy.

The whole world outside China sided with this one individual. Following the events of June 4, sanctions were imposed on the Chinese government; some of these are still in place, such as the US and EU arms embargoes against the Chinese government. For years, the Chinese economy slowed down. Deng Xiaoping called on Chinese to continue to go about their lives. In 1992, he visited southern China and Shenzhen to encourage business and trade with the rest of the world. Slowly, the economy picked up. Today, China has the largest economy in the world.

Who won: the Western media and western values of freedom and democracy? Or was it the Chinese Communist Party?

I would say that it was the Chinese Communist Party which rode out all the criticism and embargoes coming from all directions, and got on with the business of modernizing China. The people who made the most noise and predicted its downfall lost.

In 2019, there were severe demonstrations and arson in Hong Kong, with many of Hong Kong’s youth calling for Hong Kong to become independent of China, or even becoming a British colony again. They repudiated their own Chinese heritage, and fully embraced Western values of freedom and democracy, and called on the US government to intervene on their behalf. Western non-government organizations (NGOs) gave financial support to these demonstrators which made it difficult for many people to go to work. The Hong Kong government was helpless in dealing with the demonstrations.

The Western media again embraced these Hong Kong demonstrators as a symbol for how the people of Hong Kong and ordinary Chinese wanted freedom and democracy so that they could elect their own political leaders, just as they are elected in the west.

The Chinese government in Beijing passed a National Security Law for Hong Kong; the Hong Kong government had been unable to pass this since Hong Kong was returned to the PRC in 1997 because of local opposition. With the passage of the National Security Law, Beijing was able to send security personnel to Hong Kong to provide support to the Hong Kong police in apprehending demonstrators, and in putting the leaders on trial.

Today, in 2022, there are no more demonstrations in Hong Kong, and people are able to commute to their daily jobs without fear. The National Security Law has made clear that calling for overseas support against the Chinese government is illegal. Some Hong Kong people who do not like this law are emigrating to western countries. But the majority of people in HK have chosen to stay, and are just quietly getting on with their lives.

Most people in the Western media have forgotten about these Hong Kong demonstrations, because now they are focused on what is happening in Ukraine.

Here are the lessons I have learned, and how I apply them to the Russia/Ukraine dispute:

Issues are complicated, and most people don’t have the patience to understand all the contributing factors. Instead they embrace their own emotions and images. But often these are not real, because politics and international relations are about raw power, not emotions.
The stronger the initial reaction, the more quickly it is forgotten. People have short attention spans, and they are getting shorter;
Sanctions work until the nations and companies applying the sanctions review their profit and loss statements at the end of the quarter. Then they start wondering;
The western media has a stranglehold on western audiences because they like to focus on human interest stories with victims. How can anyone not sympathize with a Ukraine mother who loses her 9 year-old daughter who was shot by a Russian soldier? Doesn’t that show how evil Putin is? What more needs to be discussed?
The people and politicians who win in the end are the ones who take the long view and can ride out a tough situation, and don’t let the media frenzy distract them. Who was in charge in China in 1989? The Chinese Communist Party. Who is in charge in China in 2022? The Chinese Communist Party. I am not saying that they are good or bad, but they certainly know how to ride out a tough situation without getting distracted by western media noise.
Putin was a KGB colonel stationed in East Germany when the Berlin Wall came down. He has ruled Russia after the collapse of the USSR, and when it went through a decade of chaos before it gradually rebuilt its economy and society. Setting aside what you think of him personally, he is a tough person who has seen a lot more than any other western politician, and has had to survive these challenges.

China’s Xi Jinping is also a tough character; he was sent to a village for seven years where he had to clean latrines, among other tasks, for seven years. Do you know any western politicians or media personalities who had to do this? I don’t.

I believe that the close personal bond between Putin and Xi is based on the fact that both have had to deal with huge personal challenges, and they came out winning in the end. They understand that patience wins in the end, not what other people, especially the western media, say about them.

Right now, Ukraine’s President Zelenskyy is doing all he can to stay in front of the western media and win sympathy for Ukraine. Most in the west denounce Putin for his policy, and he is largely staying out of public view. Most people in the West are convinced that Putin is insane.

Putin is toughing things out, while western governments and the media are trying to land a knockout blow against Russia.

But Russia has had to deal with very tough situations before, and they came out as winners, just as the Chinese Communist Party has in China.

If my observations about China apply, Putin will come out the winner in the end, even though he will suffer in the short-term and will never be accepted in the West. But that doesn’t matter, because in the end, it is what Russians think of him which is most important.

This is insightful and I get the angle you’re coming from. I agree that Putin and XI are tougher and more experienced actors than their peers.
However, comparing the Chinese situation or clampdown and the Russian aggression is like comparing apples and oranges.
First, the Chinese communist party fought internal rebellion (more or less like an internal clash of values ), so the issue of national sovereignty did not arise as much. The Russians have been fighting internal dissent for years in a similar fashion to the Chinese and they’ve pretty much gotten away with it. But this case is totally different; It’s the case of Russia attacking a sovereign nation and killing her civilians. To help you see how this is different, even countries that have always been neutral have taken a stand and are even sending lethal aids to Ukraine. Germany of all countries sent weapons. This is an existential threat to surrounding nations and they recognize it as such. For instance, Germany, pacifist for more than half a century, has immediately increased her defense budget and started undertaking an overhaul of her military. Also, hitherto neutral countries like Finland and Sweden have started contemplating the idea of joining NATO.
Yes, Europeans depend on Russia for energy and their economies are intertwined, but they’ve also started exploring ways of being less dependent on Russia. There is going to be massive changes in policy in Europe and America after this act of aggression. The white man can easily forget the plight of people in far away Middle East and Asia and Africa, but they won’t easily forget the specter of seeing their fellow Europeans with “blue eyes” and “blonde hairs” being turned into refugees by this act of aggression. This hits differently with them and they are already lamenting this.
Second, Russia will lose this war with regard to their strategic objective. They may bring down Zelensky and overthrow his government, but they will NEVER be able to capture or occupy Ukraine forever. If they install a puppet leader, they will never be able to win the Guerrilla warfare that will ensue. Remember, the Ukrainians a few years ago, brought down their previous Putin-puppet president - Yanukovych. The Ukrainians will fight any Putin installed regime with the last drop of their blood. Moreover, Ukraine, like most countries of the Eastern bloc, will never accept closer ties with Russia over ties with the West. If there was a slight chance of this happening, Putin has finally buried that chance. Overtime, the Russia economy will totally collapse from fighting the resistance of the Ukrainians and from the crippling sanctions. It costs a lot to wage a war! They can’t even sustain this war for a month without taking a substantial economic hit, let alone for years.
Third, this war is not even that popular in Russia. There have been credible reports that some of the soldiers sent to Ukraine didn’t even want to fight. Also, there are domestic protests against this war and Russia is trying hard to deprive her citizens of the full information about the affairs, because they know it’s not popular. It is not sustainable for a nation to engage in a war that is unpopular among her own people. Even those on the fence will turn against Putin when their economic situation deteriorates(as it’s beginning to) or when they see the blood shed perpetrated by their government or when their sons (the soldiers) begin to come home in body bags or when they are isolated from the rest of the world. This may lead to a popular uprising against Putin and it may be the beginning of the end for him.
Putin made a big mistake and miscalculation, and in the end, he will pay for it. Russia will never remain the same; Ukraine of course will never remain the same; Europe at large will never remain the same.
Trust me, they’d be lasting consequences from this war. Some will come naturally and others will come as a result of intentional policy shifts and a fundamental change in mindset among Europeans.

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Born2conquer: 5:14pm On Mar 03, 2022
prophetfire:
. Honestly, that's what is happening. Putin is all brawns only.
Definitely, he will capture Kyiv but he wouldn't win and even if he stops the operations, the west would still use the sanctions to ruin Russia and drag them back in such a way that it would take a very long time for Russia to recover.

Russia is getting bleeped real hard. Though I don't support US and NATO.
Exactly, even if he stop, he's already bleeped so why do you think he will stop?

He will practice "make everything kuku spoil finish"

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Kaiser20: 5:15pm On Mar 03, 2022
Slavery and colonization is the worst mental torture to a human being.
Nigerians carry America and Europe case for head 24hrs., While in other Africa countries there has been coup d'etat, rebels fighting, war and insurgency....... Africans will never comment about it.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by MemoriesAndMe: 5:20pm On Mar 03, 2022
RichDad1:
Personally, I think the world would cope without Russia. However, not sure Russia can cope without majority of the rest of the world.
If North Korea could cope without the rest of the world, Russia will too. There is more to this war than many understand. Russia simply doesn't want to be intimidated by the west that already controls Ukraine that happens to be her neighbor.
If Nigeria has a problem with America for example, do you think Nigeria will be fine with America setting up military bases in Benin Republic? That's what's happening here.

9 Likes

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by NiceMen: 5:27pm On Mar 03, 2022
RichDad1:
exactly...
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by NiceMen: 5:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
MemoriesAndMe:

If North Korea could cope without the rest of the world, Russia will too. There is more to this war than many understand. Russia simply doesn't want to be intimidated by the west that already controls Ukraine that happens to be her neighbor.
If Nigeria has a problem with America for example, do you think Nigeria will be fine with America setting up military bases in Benin Republic? That's what's happening here.
I heard N.K does theirs via China and you know what that means?
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Nosayer: 5:56pm On Mar 03, 2022
Basheer22:

How much of its foreign reserves can Russia access as at today? Tell us.

People do forget that foreign reserves are only safe if you're in good books of your foreign bankers. Banks are being stopped to stop dealing with Russia already.

This is going to be for a long time even if the Ukraine crisis stops tomorrow. If you're in STEM, migrating to the US soon might become easier. E get why
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
lalasticlala:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/02/tech/russian-oneweb-launch-refusal/index.html

The people saying that the world cannot survive without Russia, I don’t get but Russia is not even in the Top 10 largest economies of the world so why can’t we survive without them? Is it mainly because they are the largest producers of Gas?
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by uniquetechng: 6:06pm On Mar 03, 2022
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

Look at this idiot giving me google search results.
I'm talking about the rockets not the company.

Nawa for Nairaland war strategist
Thought I was talking a sane human not knowing that I was wasting my time on a Sumph, even my 22 years old son knows that you don't go about throwing insults at random strangers online .
Reason of being in a forum is learn by sharing of knowledge not by insults but I dont expect someone with cerebral capacity to understand this.

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by uniquetechng: 6:08pm On Mar 03, 2022
Teaser4:
bro the point be say na everyone go feel d heat, after all the sanctions… dem go surely hit back, dem no want to be distracted, focus on Ukraine first then dem deal with economic setbacks later, tbh nah everyone go feel am… he never turn off the gas, price don rise plus inflation, make we wait and see… I just want the bloody war to stop, I like economic and cyberwar better…. This is no fun….
Thats certain everyone will feel the impacts of the sanctions but Russia will sure feel it the most based on the sanctions imposed on their financial institutions.

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Basheer22: 6:10pm On Mar 03, 2022
Nosayer:

People do forget that foreign reserves are only safe if you're in good books of your foreign bankers. Banks are being stopped to stop dealing with Russia already.

This is going to be for a long time even if the Ukraine crisis stops tomorrow. If you're in STEM, migrating to the US soon might become easier. E get why

Allow them to keep talking ignorantly. I honestly don't know how Putin will maneuver this. Even China has stepped back and is watching from a distance.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Angel55555(m): 6:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
Triangles1:
Don't be surprised the west cooked this war in other to seize some of Russian investment, Putin supposed to carry his billionaire families along this war, it may look as if Russia is winning but the west are on top of the game,
If you know you know.

Wisdom is profitable power only exhaust the strength.h

Putin on hardwork.
Listen to yourself you're dumber than you sound, the US economy triples that of the Russian, stupid dim wits everywhere
The west on smart work.

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Buliwyf: 6:38pm On Mar 03, 2022
Nonsense and flailing by the Russians. It will give Western private rocket companies opportunity to cash out.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by planetx: 6:45pm On Mar 03, 2022
Russia is the most resource rich nation on earth. After Kyiv falls and Russia takes full control, they will use their hands to lift their own yeye sanctions.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 6:46pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You sanction them, they sanction you back

Let Putin turn off Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline to Europe, let's see if Europe without Electricity powered by gas turbines are better than normal Nigerians without power shouting up NEPA

Let's see if they can withstand winter cold without Russian gas

Now all satellite company would have to pay through their noses to use NASA or Space X lunch vehicles..... America is truly an evil genius and masters of the game

Hello! Nigeria and Canada have potentials to power Europe

And their energy only accounts for 30% of Europe

Liquified gas is not a gift only to Russia. Its abundant! Russia loses the most
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

Hello! Nigeria and Canada have potentials to power Europe

Liquified gas is not a gift only to Russia. Its abundant! Russia loses the most

Hello ?!! Did you factors in cost of logistics
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 6:48pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:

Hello ?!! Did you factors in cost of logistics

If fiber optics can go from Africa to Europe, Pipelines can go too.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 6:50pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

If fiber optics can go from Africa to Europe, Pipelines can go too.

Yes it can, that's why Buhari is connect Morroco soon with pipeline

Putin would be glad to watch 25 million Europeans freeze their asses off pending the decade that the pipeline would finally get completed
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:

Yes it can, that's why Buhari is connect Morroco soon with pipeline

Putin would be glad to watch 25 million Europeans freeze their asses off pending the decade that the pipeline would finally get completed

30% it accounts for not 100%

Rationing can sustain pending completion. And alternative source of energy explored.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 6:54pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

30% it accounts for not 100%

Rationing can sustain pending completion. And alternative source of energy explored.

40% in the most difficult terrains...
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 6:57pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:

40% in the most difficult terrains...

What terrain is difficult? How many months is winter?

In a joint collaboration of EU, such project will be fast tracked and far ahead of schedule

Impossibilities does not exist where engineering is, cost and constrains will only come to the table. And Russia will be drinking its liquified gas.

EU got alternatives at least, where will Russia takes its gasses too? Probably hawking it on Ebay
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by brandsoncharlie: 6:57pm On Mar 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

China , India are already 3 billion people , the rest is over a billion ...and you think it's not half of the world ? Who thought you maths ? ... Europe and USA are not even upto India combined
How many poor people compared to both that's in terms of economy.
How viable are those economy apart from China?

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 6:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

What terrain is difficult? How many months is winter?

In a joint collaboration of EU, such project will be fast tracked and far ahead of schedule

Impossibilities does not exist where engineering is, cost and constrains will only come to the table. And Russia will be drinking its liquified gas.

EU got alternatives at least, where will Russia takes its gasses too? Probably hawking it on Ebay

China
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 7:00pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:

China

Do I still need to tell you China is the hub of cheap skilled labour?
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 7:01pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

Do I still need to tell you China is the hub of cheap skilled labour?

And do I need to remind you as a manufacturing hub heavily dependent on Coal, getting more clean fuel like LNG would be a win win for China and Russia

30 years sweet deal was closed to that effect

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by suppol: 7:04pm On Mar 03, 2022
anyone telling you that the world can live without Russia is a big lie..Russia also have allies, India China Pakistan Iran, North Korea... Mexico, Cuba and so on

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by mrvitalis(m): 7:04pm On Mar 03, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

How many poor people compared to both that's in terms of economy.
How viable are those economy apart from China?
So much propaganda done finish this one what Russia sales is raw materials and technology

UK would still buy 2 billion pounds of Russian gas this year
US would still buy billions too same with Germany

The thing with Ukraine is when your enemies done start to support u against your brother know u are messing up

1 Like

Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by CoronaVirusPro: 7:07pm On Mar 03, 2022
Mooh247:

And do I need to remind you as a manufacturing hub heavily dependent on Coal, getting more clean fuel like LNG would be a win win for China and Russia

So China will use up the 30% when they are power generator themselves..... China is too stingy to even go green. They have abundance of coal and will only patronize Russia out of pity.

Europe has clear and clean clean options.

If LNG Nigeria should get such offer, It will be highly welcomed. Nothing special about Russia`s energy. It abundance is all over the world.

You hoarding Garri that everybody can plant cassava and produce.
Re: Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions by Mooh247: 7:08pm On Mar 03, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

So China will use up the 30% when they are power generator themselves..... China is too stingy to even go green. They have abundance of coal and will only patronize Russia out of pity.

Europe has clear and clean clean options.

If LNG Nigeria should get such offer, It will be highly welcomed. Nothing special about Russia`s energy. It abundance is all over the world.

You hoarding Garri that everybody can plant cassava and produce.

Go read up on China Russia 30 years deal and come back here to edit your comment and apologize to Putin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden / Duduzane, Jacob Zuma's Son Differs From Father By Launching Pro-Gay Party (PICS) / Gunman Opens Fire At Perm State University, Russia. 8 Dead (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.