Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,944 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State (27263 Views)

Laila Johnson-Salami Rattles David Umahi. "I Need An Interpreter!" / Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor / "I Remain Governor Of Osun State" - Gboyega Oyetola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by IPIGSRHYPO: 4:34pm On Mar 08, 2022
Don't mind the IPIG terrorist judge with his IPIG terrorist clownish judgment.
I already know it won't stand the test of time.
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by chymeze: 4:34pm On Mar 08, 2022
Confirmedzombie:
As a senior lawyer I think the judge misfired

It is best to petition the NJC while Appeal is filled

There is no provision in the constitution of Nigeria that says any governor who defects to other party loses his position.

As at the time Umahi defected, PDP were in crisis over its former National chairman Uche Sevondus.

Im very sure the Judge will be sanctioned.

The judge never misfired. Judges give judgement on the basis of the evidence brought before it and not based on emotions or sentiments. If PDP were able to do their homework by proving beyond reasonable doubt to the judge that there were no crises in the party at the time umahi defected, and umahi's lawyers were not able to convince the judge that there was crises in PDP, my dear any judge would fairly award the case in favor of PDP, and you can't blame the judge for awarding the case in favor of PDP who did their homework and were able to prove their case with facts. So in essence, judgements are based on your ability to prove your case with facts and evidence, and not by blowing up sentiments and emotions.
Truth is, I however actually see umahi winning at the supreme court because the Chief justice is probably sympathetic to the APC. But if the supreme court decides to be unbiased, then umahi is finished especially with the sagacious lawyers that PDP has as governors like Wike and Tambuwal who know the right button and spot to press legally to finish an individual.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Cantonese: 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2022
Confirmedzombie:

There is no provision in the constitution of Nigeria that says any governor who defects to other party loses his position.

As at the time Umahi defected, PDP were in crisis over its former National chairman Uche Sevondus.

Truly bros, you be real confirmed zombie.

2 Likes

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by MYHUBBY: 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2022
if this verdict pronounced by court of law pull through then those politicians decamping up and down will sit tight

another advantage is, creating a new party will give room for brand new politicians, maybe the time for the youths to take over is close

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by jcross19: 4:37pm On Mar 08, 2022
seunmsg:
No shaking. PDP is not smelling Ebonyin state house anytime soon.
umahi is now an orphan!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Minime10(f): 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2022
Mitsurugi:

Counsel! Haba! grin grin grin

I doubt if this dude has seen the fore walls of a class room talk more of being any lawyer, except may be nairaland lawyer.
Tell the world when there was a faction in PDP when your Umahi defected to apc?

2 Likes

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by ibechris(m): 4:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
If this report is true, then this is not a dignified response,it is too emotional and can embarrass his lawyers when presented in court.
Sincerely,I sympathize with him.

My consolation remains that all these sudden developments will still end in praise to God for the Asiwaju Tinubu victory at the Presidential poll.

On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand. Please support and vote for Asiwaju Tinubu.
#Iyanumashele
Here's free book on business ideas & money sources directory for you,it's 100% free! https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund. Cheers.

People like u don't even like Nigeria for thinking that an old man can help to restore this country. Well,u guys should wait for the time of wailing as the APC will surprise all of u.

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Masterito(m): 4:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by damirosky60: 4:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
chymeze:

The judge never misfired. Judges give judgement on the basis of the evidence brought before it and not based on emotions or sentiments. If PDP were able to do their homework by proving beyond reasonable doubt to the judge that there were no crises in the party at the time umahi defected, and umahi's lawyers were not able to convince the judge that there was crises in PDP, my dear any judge would fairly award the case in favor of PDP, and you can't blame the judge for awarding the case in favor of PDP who did their homework and were able to prove their case with facts. So in essence, judgements are based on your ability to prove your case with facts and evidence, and not by blowing up sentiments and emotions.
Truth is, I however actually see umahi winning at the supreme court because the Chief justice is probably sympathetic to the APC. But if the supreme court decides to be unbiased, then umahi is finished especially with the sagacious lawyers that PDP has as governors like Wike and Tambuwal who know the right button and spot to press legally to finish an individual.

Show me which section in the constitution that says a governor and his deputy will vacant their various positions if they defect to another political party.

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Indispensable85(m): 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Cantonese: 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
chymeze:

You said it right, but you nearly spoiled it for me when you mentioned the Supreme Court. I do not see Umahi winning it. I only see Umahi delaying to complete his tenure. PDP’s lawyers always seem to make their cases properly.

We must get to a level where our politicians must be stopped from jumping parties and creating unfair balances using flimsy excuses.

The judge must have weighed the balance of evidence before him in arriving at his judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by seniormallam(m): 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2022
EILTD:
The Judge just lost his position and might get disgraced. Umahi defected when PDP were in crisis. I bet the Judge and those who paid him forgot this fact.
Crisis is deferent from factionalization, there's no time PDP was divided nor two persons parading themselves as chairman

2 Likes

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Foolishbuhari: 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2022
EastisBae:

Rubbish talk!
In law, you quote a precedence or at least an amended constitution, and not just wake up and pass a ridiculous judgment.

Governors have been moving from one party to another since 1999, tell me an instance when any of them was removed because of that?

What precedence was the judgement that made yahaya Bello governor based upon? Laws are not absolute and are always passing through finesse and new ones made to suit the situation, which later become precedence.

Umahi unfortunately will be the first person to swallow this bitter pill. The position of the law is clear. YOU DON'T DEFECT EXCEPT THERE'S A CRISIS WHICH HAS RESULTED TO DIFFERENT FACTIONS IN YOUR PARTY.

This was how all the NPDP governors, Saraki, Amaechi and Co were all able to escape the sledgehammer after they defected before the 2015 elections.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Indispensable85(m): 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Umahi can only keep grasping at straws but he's a goner.

The position of the is that it is illegal for an elected officer to defect from a party if there are no internal issues or crisis in the party that warrants defection. It's on this grounds that the judge based his judgment.

That's for lawmakers not the executive. Go and read
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Foolishbuhari: 4:54pm On Mar 08, 2022
Indispensable85:

That's for lawmakers not the executive. Go and read

And what laws states it only applies to lawmakers? Were the executives elected as individuals or were they party flag bearers? The party was elected into power not the individual because the party is absolute!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Indispensable85(m): 4:55pm On Mar 08, 2022
Warripriders:

U dey forget the recent constitution amendments regarding defection... Na shock electric go pole am nepa.

He was not elected under this newly amended constitution.
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Indispensable85(m): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2022
chrisxxx:

This serves as precedence.

Nothing is precedent in law court until the supreme court makes a pronouncement on it.
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Indispensable85(m): 4:59pm On Mar 08, 2022
Foolishbuhari:

And what laws states it only applies to lawmakers? Were the executives elected as individuals or were they party flag bearers? The party was elected into power not the individual because the party is absolute!

Oga go and read your constitution
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Ojiofor: 5:00pm On Mar 08, 2022
I am not in support of removing a performing governor like Dave Umahi.Umahi should do everything legally possible to remain in office.Where were they when Okorocha decamped to APC with APGA mandate?
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by christistruth01: 5:01pm On Mar 08, 2022
jimter44:

Obasaki contested his election on the platform of PDP. He never won election on the platform of a party and decamp to another. It's a different scenario with Ebonyi state governor. The owner of this number 08036307323 is a fraudster, avoid him in your life

Obaseki was an APC Governor who defected to PDP and contested Governorship without first relinquishing the Position

That means he was unqualified to Contest as PDP Candidate
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by chrisxxx(m): 5:04pm On Mar 08, 2022
Indispensable85:

Nothing is precedent in law court until the supreme court makes a pronouncement on it.
We are getting there. Federal High Court has just laid the track, Supreme Court will do the finishing and hence we have a verifiable precedence for future references.

2 Likes

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 08, 2022
Zoological Republic of Zoogeria. Where courts are not obeyed
It started with Mama mmadu bu garri grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by anthonyonyolu(m): 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2022
EILTD:
The Judge just lost his position and might get disgraced. Umahi defected when PDP were in crisis. I bet the Judge and those who paid him forgot this fact.
what kind of crisis were they having ?

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Mitsurugi(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2022
Minime10:

I doubt if this dude has seen the fore walls of a class room talk more of being any lawyer, except may be nairaland lawyer.
Tell the world when there was a faction in PDP when your Umahi defected to apc?

I'm surprised
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by okorogodwin4(m): 5:17pm On Mar 08, 2022
Tillubbu urchin's and his occultic skull miners zombies fighting dirty

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by pquaver(m): 5:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
jimter44:

Obasaki contested his election on the platform of PDP. He never won election on the platform of a party and decamp to another. It's a different scenario with Ebonyi state governor. The owner of this number 08036307323 is a fraudster, avoid him in your life

Obaseki was governor on apc mandate when he defected. What are u saying.. Dat means he is not pdp candidate as in the eyes of the law he was in apc as at the time of the election..
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Omodua(m): 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
Maxymilliano:

The position of the is that it is illegal for an elected officer to defect from a party if there are no internal issues or crisis in the party that warrants defection. It's on this grounds that the judge based his judgment.

Thanks for the information. Umahi therefore is a goner. There was no internal squabbles before he defected. He falls foul of the law. Greedy man!

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Omodua(m): 5:23pm On Mar 08, 2022
Confirmedzombie:

Why should the judge be sanctioned for discharging his duties?

1 Like

Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by pquaver(m): 5:23pm On Mar 08, 2022
Foolishbuhari:

What precedence was the judgement that made yahaya Bello governor based upon? Laws are not absolute and are always passing through finesse and new ones made to suit the situation, which later become precedence.

Umahi unfortunately will be the first person to swallow this bitter pill. The position of the law is clear. YOU DON'T DEFECT EXCEPT THERE'S A CRISIS WHICH HAS RESULTED TO DIFFERENT FACTIONS IN YOUR PARTY.

This was how all the NPDP governors, Saraki, Amaechi and Co were all able to escape the sledgehammer after they defected before the 2015 elections.

Please tell us how Dino melaye, saraki and Orton, Obaseki escaped their own? Was there 2 chairmen with oshomole in apc? Abeg
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by Omodua(m): 5:25pm On Mar 08, 2022
Maxymilliano:

Thanks for the information and further elucidation.
Umahi falls within the category of greedy governor who defected to APC with PDP mandate.
Re: Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State by JONNYSPUTE(m): 5:30pm On Mar 08, 2022
Omodua:
Thanks for the information. Umahi therefore is a goner. There was no internal squabbles before he defected. He falls foul of the law. Greedy man!
... The judge was misguided. What you are saying only applies to the legislative and not the executive.Provided is not a pre election matter,a sitting govonor can only be removed through death,impeachment or voluntary resignation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Saraki's Support Group Campaigning With Aregbesola's Projects In Osun. PICS. / 20 Governors Refuse To Appoint Commissioners / DSS Gives NNPC, Oil Marketers 48 Hours To Make Fuel Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.