Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (87463 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 1:44pm On May 06, 2022
Mamatukwas:
Yo!!! So there’s been an increase in the number of Nigerians/Africans loosing their kids to CW because of negligence or abuse.

Do not leave your kids at home alone to go and work any night or day shift! Anything can go wrong and you will loose your kids.

Do not incessantly hit your kids. They don’t have filter, they could say something one day and you’ll get in trouble. Plus it’s not good period.

Once social workers enter your home and matter it can take a lot before they leave you.

Let’s be guided please.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sometimes it’s a tough choice between earning income /providing for the family and following the rules especially as an immigrant
God help Us all

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 2:22pm On May 12, 2022
Hello everyone,

For some months now, I have been getting reports of my son being disrespectful, smart-mouthed to the teachers, interrupting them and trying to correct their teaching, and, also being physical with some of his classmates ( especially during playground football). Every now and then, I get called into short after school meetings to discuss what my child has done again.

My child is not a pushover and has come with Naija competitive spirit ( which the teachers complain makes others feel bad), he also doesn't understand rude humour or likes it when his peers make fun of his Nigerian name and sometimes will lash out. Some of the kids will kick and punch him and when he retaliates, he is the one that will get punished. Some worse behaved ones will use swear words at him during football. He is also quick to apologize when he is wrong or has been scolded.

However, I notice that there is a particular teacher in his class who makes all these reports and when I probed deeper, I discovered that she is not really extending the same grace to my child as she would to other children. Yesterday, she blamed him for doing something he did not do, even when he clearly explained how it was not his fault. She kept telling him to admit he lied and he said he simply told her, I'm sorry if you think I lied. My son said she is more patient and kinder with other children and lets a lot of things slide, but with him, she is so hard.

My son is definitely not perfect, at home we are now constantly speaking with him to learn to control his emotions, be respectful, think before speaking and self regulate. Not to get upset at everything, keep his hands to himself and play fairly as well.

I was really sad yesterday and I was tempted to go and have a conversation with this teacher to ask what really is the problem between her and my child? However, my husband advised that my action will only make them mark our son and since we are still temporary here, we cannot take some actions until our feet are standing well well here.

How do you deal? My son is 10 by the way. I will appreciate as many comments based on your own personal schooling experience with your kids.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 3:26pm On May 12, 2022
[quote autho post=112761325]Hello everyone,

For some months now, I have been getting reports of my son being disrespectful, smart-mouthed to the teachers, interrupting them and trying to correct their teaching, and, also being physical with some of his classmates ( especially during playground football). Every now and then, I get called into short after school meetings to discuss what my child has done again.

My child is not a pushover and has come with Naija competitive spirit ( which the teachers complain makes others feel bad), he also doesn't understand rude humour or likes it when his peers make fun of his Nigerian name and sometimes will lash out. Some of the kids will kick and punch him and when he retaliates, he is the one that will get punished. Some worse behaved ones will use swear words at him during football. He is also quick to apologize when he is wrong or has been scolded.

However, I notice that there is a particular teacher in his class who makes all these reports and when I probed deeper, I discovered that she is not really extending the same grace to my child as she would to other children. Yesterday, she blamed him for doing something he did not do, even when he clearly explained how it was not his fault. She kept telling him to admit he lied and he said he simply told her, I'm sorry if you think I lied. My son said she is more patient and kinder with other children and lets a lot of things slide, but with him, she is so hard.

My son is definitely not perfect, at home we are now constantly speaking with him to learn to control his emotions, be respectful, think before speaking and self regulate. Not to get upset at everything, keep his hands to himself and play fairly as well.

I was really sad yesterday and I was tempted to go and have a conversation with this teacher to ask what really is the problem between her and my child? However, my husband advised that my action will only make them mark our son and since we are still temporary here, we cannot take some actions until our feet are standing well well here.

How do you deal? My son is 10 by the way. I will appreciate as many comments based on your own personal schooling experience with your kids.[/quote]

Hello!! Hugs for you mama!

It’s tough sometimes on the children while adjusting. But it is what it is!

I’d advise that you keep coaching and counselling him on self regulating . He can be taught to avoid/ ignore triggers from the other children
The subtle racism our children may face is inevitable, they’ll have to sometimes work twice as hard to prove themselves case in point his teacher(s) being harder on him than the others . Let him realise things are different now and it won’t be a walk in the park but he should do his best.
Also at home you will have to unlearn the naija way of speaking loud , resolve conflicts within the family peacefully, no talking on the phone loudly et al maybe that’ll help too

With my teenage sons they display aggressive behaviour because my spouse and I have been poor role models in that regard. But gradually as a family or at least I am modifying my behaviour with the hope that it’s not too late! I’ve had one or two complaints from school but I am steering their energies towards sports to dissipate some of the excess vexations

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 5:37pm On May 12, 2022
Specialtee:
Hello everyone,

How do you deal? My son is 10 by the way. I will appreciate as many comments based on your own personal schooling experience with your kids.

Hey Mama. I know it’s not easy making the transition here so collect hug first kiss

Tell your Son that it’s important that whenever people are rude to him or kick him, he should tell His Teacher FIRST before trying to retaliate in any way. Then get him to tell you immediately after school, anything funny that happens as well which you will then put in an email to his Teacher just to inform her that you’re aware and would like to know what was done about it.

That way, there’s an email trail of when people were aggressive to him as well and if the teacher starts having to answer too she might calm down.

Also remember that he’s only in her class for 1 more term. By September he will move to a new class. Use the time to pray and ask God for favor so his new teacher is much nicer.

Hopefully other Momma’s with more experience will read to and add their own soon.

Xx

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 5:42pm On May 12, 2022
[quote author=babythug post=112763074]

I’d advise that you keep coaching and counselling him on self regulating . He can be taught to avoid/ ignore triggers from the other children
The subtle racism our children may face is inevitable, they’ll have to sometimes work twice as hard to prove themselves case in point his teacher(s) being harder on him than the others . Let him realise things are different now and it won’t be a walk in the park but he should do his best.
Also at home you will have to unlearn the naija way of speaking loud , resolve conflicts within the family peacefully, no talking on the phone loudly Dal maybe that’ll help too

With my teenage sons they display aggressive behaviour because my spouse and I have been poor role models in that regard. But gradually as a family or at least I am modifying my behaviour with the hope that it’s not too late! I’ve had one or two complaints from school but I am steering their energies towards sports to dissipate some of the excess vexations

I commend your honesty and the last statement made me smile. They should use the agro to earn £££’s for the family

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 5:46pm On May 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I commend your honesty and the last statement made me smile. They should use the agro to earn £££’a for the family

grin grin
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by deept(m): 6:11pm On May 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Hey Mama. I know it’s not easy making the transition here so collect hug first kiss

Tell your Son that it’s important that whenever people are rude to him or kick him, he should tell His Teacher FIRST before trying to retaliate in any way. Then get him to tell you immediately after school, anything funny that happens as well which you will then put in an email to his Teacher just to inform her that you’re aware and would like to know what was done about it.

That way, there’s an email trail of when people were aggressive to him as well and if the teacher starts having to answer too she might calm down.

Also remember that he’s only in her class for 1 more term. By September he will move to a new class. Use the time to pray and ask God for favor so his new teacher is much nicer.

Hopefully other Momma’s with more experience will read to and add their own soon.

Xx

Not only mommas o, there are hands on Poppa's here also.

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 6:22pm On May 12, 2022
deept:

No vex. I was answering the poster who is a woman smiley

Edit- to say I see what you were referring to. You’re 100% right
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by deept(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

No vex. I was answering the poster who is a woman smiley

No wahala, we are in this together. The mommas and Poppa's.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 9:50pm On May 12, 2022
Thank you so much. I am comforted to hear that I am not alone in this struggle. I know we also have to work on ourselves as parents, that speaking loudly ehn! God help us. Thanks again, I appreciate this.

babythug:

Also at home you will have to unlearn the naija way of speaking loud , resolve conflicts within the family peacefully, no talking on the phone loudly et al maybe that’ll help too

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 9:56pm On May 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Thank you so much. The subtle racism is really getting to me now even though I vowed I'd be thick-skinned. The kids don't understand it and are trying their best to be themselves and be liked. That prayer aspect is something I am taking more seriously now for the next class. Every day now, after giving my motivational talks and advice, I'll pray for favour etc for them. Funny enough my daughter who is in Year 2 is getting on swimmingly in the same school, with no issues.

It is well. Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 9:58pm On May 12, 2022
Lol, well done to all hands-on poppas, navigating the peculiarities of parenting in the UK. This support group is for all of us.
deept:

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 10:14pm On May 12, 2022
Specialtee:
Hello everyone,

Hugs ...parenting is not easy, just continue talking and introduce some form of reward system. Tell him we are working together towards this goal of no complaint from teacher and we can achieve this by x and y ...and if it achieve it then reward .

People say don't be bribing, but I don't want to spend my young age shouting up and down so my kids I use rewards alot. You pick your battles , try different style and see what works

Also I been in a work environment that it was just way more stressful than it needed to be, I couldn't even flourish.One of my job, my manager made me start doubting myself, me that my songs are sung very loudly in most project....I know the system in and out yet one story or complains . I stayed 3 months and resigned, went to another job and it was all back to praise. Since I have my British pali, nobody going to stress me , once I don't like the culture oya Cv out and change job fast .

This experience has shown me not to stay too long were I won't florish so I equate that to a school. If my children just start having issues I will find another school.... I no fit shout. I might be jumping from fire pan to fire but until you change you never know. . .... yes feedback is good, know where the issues are and trying to see how it can improve, at the same time school shopping is my take. You can wait as well because by September it is on to another class and teacher..

Cultural people in UK and people from naija there is a difference in behaviour both adult and children. Even among naija i can tell a UK born naija and a naija child. That been said your son is new and still adjusting so there might be a lot of behaviour that is just too full on for the teacher to handle hence why she exhibiting more harshness not that I am excusing her but teacher work no easy. All I am saying that I noticed naija kids even naija adults tend to be more aggressive in little mannerism but they do adjust with time

7 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 10:21pm On May 12, 2022
Specialtee:
Hello everyone,

1. Ask your son to start keeping a diary - it will not only help with emotional self regulation but will enable him see patterns and help you build a picture and collate evidence should you ever need it.
2. If and when she tells him off, he should request an advocate, including his peers if necessary.
3. If he can, he should call her out on her picking on him. Very politely ie I have said I didn't do it. Why are you insisting I did?

Most people in the UK are more afraid of being labelled racist than being racist. So one of the fastest ways to nip it in the bud is put a name on it and watch them back track so fast. It will also alert others to the fact that you won't take this lying down.

So even though Sept is not far away, secondary school is a lot more vicious than primary school. Do not go speak to the teacher yet. Write out a letter, laying out your concerns - factually. Remove every emotion. Talk about how it is affecting the emotional and mental health of your child and by extension you the parent and the rest of the family. Be succinct. Add examples.
Then state that you know it's possible children may misconstrue actions and words but you want it brought to their knowledge that this is how your son is interpreting her actions. Therefore you are bringing your concerns to them. It is not acceptable for a teacher to covertly and overtly pick on any child and you would be doubly disappointed to find out it is race based. End it by saying you are totally open to conversations and strategies to support your child and the school so they should contact you at their earliest convenience.

I would sit and draft the letter with my child then edit and read through the final together. Email it to the head teacher and keep a copy for yourself should you need it down the track.

I wish I could say it gets easier when it comes to racism. It doesn't. We just develop better coping mechanisms and we need to ensure our children have those mechanisms to cope and push back. Hugs!

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Missposh: 11:43am On May 13, 2022
Hello Papas and Mommas, please how do I resolve this - we applied for primary school mid year transfer for my child but the council just responded that the 3 schools we selected don't have space and suggested a catholic school not within trekking distance of our house. Even using bus, I've noted that we may take a bus or 2 if we don't want to trek for like 20 minutes. Since moving here, the only complaint the kids have had is the length of time we have to trek as it is not what they're used to and been asking us to go buy car again � so I anticipate the long trekking to school will elicit some complaints from them. I'll like to avoid this if I can as it won't be convenient for us to dash to go pick them too.

I don't know if to take this school offered while trying to appeal for our preferred school and if the appeal process won't just be a waste of time.

Please apart from mentioning the inconvenience of commuting to the school and possibly preferring a school close to our house address, what other reasons can we site. Meanwhile, 2 of the 3 schools we reached out have a space for my 3 year old, it's only the older one we've not been able to find a school close to the house for yet.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be highly appreciated. Can't wait for the kids to settle into school so I can focus on work. Their energy level and distractions no be here.

We had previously mentioned that we're new in the area and country, will like a position in one of the 3 schools to enable us and the kids meet other kids and parents and integrate into the new environment. Also mentioned proximity.

Thank you in advance ☺
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 12:39pm On May 13, 2022
Missposh:
Hello Papas and Mommas, please how do I resolve this - we applied for primary school mid year transfer for my child but the council just responded that the 3 schools we selected don't have space and suggested a catholic school not within trekking distance of our house. Even using bus, I've noted that we may take a bus or 2 if we don't want to trek for like 20 minutes. Since moving here, the only complaint the kids have had is the length of time we have to trek as it is not what they're used to and been asking us to go buy car again � so I anticipate the long trekking to school will elicit some complaints from them. I'll like to avoid this if I can as it won't be convenient for us to dash to go pick them too.

I don't know if to take this school offered while trying to appeal for our preferred school and if the appeal process won't just be a waste of time.

Please apart from mentioning the inconvenience of commuting to the school and possibly preferring a school close to our house address, what other reasons can we site. Meanwhile, 2 of the 3 schools we reached out have a space for my 3 year old, it's only the older one we've not been able to find a school close to the house for yet.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be highly appreciated. Can't wait for the kids to settle into school so I can focus on work. Their energy level and distractions no be here.

We had previously mentioned that we're new in the area and country, will like a position in one of the 3 schools to enable us and the kids meet other kids and parents and integrate into the new environment. Also mentioned proximity.

Thank you in advance ☺

There are very strict rules that only 30 students to a class in the UK . Nobody goes against that rule and sadly with immigration , new visa coming out you have people relocating to the country daily . However if a school has 30 in that class, there is really nothing anybody can do and that is just it

You either accept the school given and maybe stay on waiting list or take the school given and move houses. Move somewhere closer to the school so just note . Once a class has 30 students , expect if a student is leaving there is absolutely nothing the school or council can do so bear that in mind . An appeal will not change the fact that there is no space , neither can they then drive another child to accommodate yours (because technically speaking that the only way to create space)

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Missposh: 12:50pm On May 13, 2022
LagosismyHome

There are very strict rules that only 30 students to a class in the UK . Nobody goes against that rule and sadly with immigration , new visa coming out you have people relocating to the country daily . However if a school has 30 in that class, there is really nothing anybody can do and that is just it

You either accept the school given and maybe stay on waiting list or take the school given and move houses. Move somewhere closer to the school so just note . Once a class has 30 students , expect if a student is leaving there is absolutely nothing the school or council can do so bear that in mind . An appeal will not change the fact that there is no space , neither can they then drive another child to accommodate yours (because technically speaking that the only way to create space)

@Lagosismyhome thank you so much for the prompt feedback. I appreciate the insight.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 1:10pm On May 13, 2022
Missposh:

Thank you in advance ☺

From experience if they say no space they mean it. Put your 3year old in the school you want then take the older one to the Catholic school offered.

You might have a stronger chance of changing later when one child already goes to your 1st option. In the meantime find out if there is any provision by the council for school pickup and drop off. Over here in Scotland some councils arrange it for you if the school is more than 5 miles I think.

Sha check. Then start working on your driving asap so the kids will stop harassing you smiley

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Missposh: 3:01pm On May 13, 2022
Thank you so much for this. Make I swiftly go embrace the Catholic school. I will get to that driving matter with time. It still feels strange seeing the driver's seat on right hand side � Thank God for the "road bells" on the road. I cross the road very consciously now make I no go enter mouth of oncoming vehicles � When I Sabi how to walk for road, I will go back to driving � � God no go shame us.

Now weighing the option of taking my 3 year old to the school because taking them will be going in opposite directions every morning and noon plus the 3 year old is only eligible to 15 hours so will close earlier. Don't know if we have energy to do school runs 4 times a day and still manage to work. This obodo oyinbo is not for the faint hearted, I didn't realize how much soft life I was enjoying in naija, but not complaining, na we find them come � �

Mamatukwas post

From experience if they say no space they mean it. Put your 3year old in the school you want then take the older one to the Catholic school offered.

You might have a stronger chance of changing later when one child already goes to your 1st option. In the meantime find out if there is any provision by the council for school pickup and drop off. Over here in Scotland some councils arrange it for you if the school is more than 5 miles I think.

Sha check. Then start working on your driving asap so the kids will stop harassing you smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 4:07pm On May 13, 2022
Missposh:
Thank you so much for this. Make I swiftly go embrace the Catholic school. I will get to that driving matter with time. It still feels strange seeing the driver's seat on right hand side � Thank God for the "road bells" on the road. I cross the road very consciously now make I no go enter mouth of oncoming vehicles � When I Sabi how to walk for road, I will go back to driving � � God no go shame us.

Now weighing the option of taking my 3 year old to the school because taking them will be going in opposite directions every morning and noon plus the 3 year old is only eligible to 15 hours so will close earlier. Don't know if we have energy to do school runs 4 times a day and still manage to work. This obodo oyinbo is not for the faint hearted, I didn't realize how much soft life I was enjoying in naija, but not complaining, na we find them come � �

Mamatukwas post

I think private nursery take the 15hours. Some allow you to pay some extra hours to make it a full day or spread it across fewer days and longer hours but that only in private nursery and not primary school nursery..... for example there is no way I could do 15hours or 30hours. That would have been so stressful dropping a child for 3 hours,I just couldn't. The nursery worked the 30 hours to be 3 full day for my kids so I did that and paid for 2 extra days. Something like that so check with a private nursery in your area and see how they can structure 15hours but don't know if they still do that

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 4:36pm On May 13, 2022
LagosismyHome:

I think private nursery take the 15hours. Some allow you to pay some extra hours to make it a full day or spread it across fewer days and longer hours but that only in private nursery and not primary school nursery..... for example there is no way I could do 15hours or 30hours. That would have been so stressful dropping a child for 3 hours,I just couldn't. The nursery worked the 30 hours to be 3 full day for my kids so I did that and paid for 2 extra days. Something like that so check with a private nursery in your area and see how they can structure 15hours but don't know if they still do that

Very true. Most of them still do this.

Good idea.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mizGene(f): 8:36am On May 14, 2022
LagosismyHome:

From what age is it 30hours pls?
I think 30hrs is the ceiling offered by the govt to everyone until they get to primary school, and if you need more hours, then you gotta pay. is this correct?

What times do the primary schools normally start and end?
Pardon my plenty questions �
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by deept(m): 9:55am On May 14, 2022
mizGene:

I think 30hrs is the ceiling offered by the govt to everyone until they get to primary school, and if you need more hours, then you gotta pay. is this correct?

I just started enjoying this benefit and from what I understand it works out to 30 hours a week during term time. So during school holiday periods no free childcare. Works out as 23 hours a week if you spread it out the whole year.

You start to get this after your child turns three the next April or October.

Ps. This is Scotland, I don't know about down south
If you need more hours you pay.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 10:32am On May 14, 2022
mizGene:

She’s referring to where some Private Nurseries partner with your council and can admit your child for the same 15 or 30 hours foc because the council will pay them directly. So your child in nursery must not go to a council school or provider for instance. If you then want additional hours or after school care you pay separately.

School start is btw 4.5 to 5.5 years in Scotland. I think in England it’s the September after you turn 5 if you’re born before the 1st of September.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mizGene(f): 12:40pm On May 14, 2022
deept:

I just started enjoying this benefit and from what I understand it works out to 30 hours a week during term time. So during school holiday periods no free childcare. Works out as 23 hours a week if you spread it out the whole year.

You start to get this after your child turns three the next April or October.

Ps. This is Scotland, I don't know about down south
If you need more hours you pay.
Thanks, I bet England is different..
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mizGene(f): 12:41pm On May 14, 2022
Mamatukwas:

She’s referring to where some Private Nurseries partner with your council and can admit your child for the same 15 or 30 hours foc because the council will pay them directly. So your child in nursery must not go to a council school or provider for instance. If you then want additional hours or after school care you pay separately.

School start is btw 4.5 to 5.5 years in Scotland. I think in England it’s the September after you turn 5 if you’re born before the 1st of September.
Thanks, I understand that.
What age gets 30hrs foc?
I was asking for the time of day actually cheesy
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 12:54pm On May 14, 2022
mizGene:

Thanks, I understand that.
What age gets 30hrs foc?
I was asking for the time of day actually cheesy

Age 3 till when you start primary gets 15 or 30 hours foc.

Time of day is 9am to 12noon or 1.15 to 3.30 ish (could vary slightly) for 15 hours mon to fri.

You can also customize your 15 hours to 9am to 3pm twice a week and half day on the 3rd day of it works well for you.

9am to 3pm mon to fri for 30 hours.

Again all of this might vary slightly depending on your nursery/provider. Once you start applications you’ll see the options.

Primary school times is 9am to 3pm as well.

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mizGene(f): 12:59pm On May 14, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Age 3 till when you start primary gets 15 or 30 hours foc.

Time of day is 9am to 12noon or 1.15 to 3.30 ish (could vary slightly) for 15 hours mon to fri.

You can also customize your 15 hours to 9am to 3pm twice a week and half day on the 3rd day of it works well for you.

9am to 3pm mon to fri for 30 hours.

Again all of this might vary slightly depending on your nursery/provider. Once you start applications you’ll see the options.

Primary school times is 9am to 3pm as well.
Got it. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by tshoboy(m): 4:38pm On May 14, 2022
mizGene:

It’s 15 hours in England for 3-4 years old. It stops when they start reception.
https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds
Those with ILR/British pali can get 30 hours on some conditions.
https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare?step-by-step-nav=f517cd57-3c18-4bb9-aa8b-1b907e279bf9

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 6:02pm On May 14, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Thank you. I'll try the reward system. The fact that he is moving to a new class in September also gives me hope. Regarding our naija behaviour, God help us.

Hugs ...parenting is not easy, just continue talking and introduce some form of reward system. Tell him we are working together towards this goal of no complaint from teacher and we can achieve this by x and y ...and if it achieve it then reward .

People say don't be bribing, but I don't want to spend my young age shouting up and down so my kids I use rewards alot. You pick your

Cultural people in UK and people from naija there is a difference in behaviour both adult and children. Even among naija i can tell a UK born naija and a naija child. That been said your son is new and still adjusting so there might be a lot of behaviour that is just too full on for the teacher to handle hence why she exhibiting more harshness not that I am excusing her but teacher work no easy. All I am saying that I noticed naija kids even naija adults tend to be more aggressive in little mannerism but they do adjust with time
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Specialtee: 6:15pm On May 14, 2022
Thank you so much for your advice. In fact, I have bought a journal for him to start using to vent. This is new for all of us but we'll learn fast. I also agree with documenting issues as you said.

Ticha:

1. Ask your son to start keeping a diary - it will not only help with emotional self-regulation but will enable him see patterns and help you build a picture and collate evidence should you ever need it.
2. If and when she tells him off, he should request an advocate, including his peers if necessary.
3. If he can, he should call her out on her picking on him. Very politely ie I have said I didn't do it. Why are you insisting I did?

Most people in the UK are more afraid of being labelled racist than being racist. So one of the fastest ways to nip it in the bud is put a name on it and watch them back track so fast. It will also alert others to the fact that you won't take this lying down.

So even though Sept is not far away, secondary school is a lot more vicious than primary school. Do not go speak to the teacher yet. Write out a letter, laying out your concerns - factually. Remove every emotion. Talk about how it is affecting the emotional and mental health of your child and by extension you the parent and the rest of the family. Be succinct. Add examples.
Then state that you know it's possible children may misconstrue actions and words but you want it brought to their knowledge that this is how your son is interpreting her actions. Therefore you are bringing your concerns to them. It is not acceptable for a teacher to covertly and overtly pick on any child and you would be doubly disappointed to find out it is race based. End it by saying you are totally open to conversations and strategies to support your child and the school so they should contact you at their earliest convenience.

I would sit and draft the letter with my child then edit and read through the final together. Email it to the head teacher and keep a copy for yourself should you need it down the track.

I wish I could say it gets easier when it comes to racism. It doesn't. We just develop better coping mechanisms and we need to ensure our children have those mechanisms to cope and push back. Hugs!

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by chisun89(f): 8:28pm On May 15, 2022
Good evening all, please I need advice on something that has been bothering me.

Am planning to relocate on tier 4 visa with my husband and 2kids age 1and 3.
My niece of 8years is currently living with me, will it be advisable to relocate with her? Please I need practical advice and suggestions.

In Nigeria here am a stay at home mom so taking care of them is not stressful, I don't know how it will be over there considering that I'll go to school and still work.

Will it be stressful to come with her, will she be allowed to take care of her younger ones?

Please advise

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos) / How I Survived Ogbunike Cave And Its Colony Of Bats (photos) / Trump To Ban 2-Year Visa For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.