Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (86790 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Cleanworld(f): 2:06am On Nov 09, 2022
Stevepop:
Hi everyone- will appreciate every input or tips I can get especially from experienced parents.

Our little one (9 months plus) started day care last month when wifey's maternity leave ended. Ever since she started, if it's not cough today, it's cattarh or fever, infact there was a time she had conjuctivitis (apolo) also. It's just two months now and we are tired. We are currently battling cough, cattarh and fever (2nd time in 4 weeks). We've taken her to the GP twice and the doctors more or less just said "welcome to the club" and that it's normal. Just said we should continue to use calpol, calcough or nurofen.
To be honest, the cough/fever is not weighing her down as she feeds and plays normally, just that it's always worrisome having to watch her breath with blocked nose and bouts of cough. If it were to be in naija, grandparents would have swung into action with different remedies but over here, na only calpol we here angry.End of rant!!! sad

Please is this normal? What other home remedies can we explore? Looking forward to your responses

Hi, I've been in your shoes before I found this
'miracle' dehumidifier. . Drug doesn't have much effect on this type of cough and catarrh that's caused by weather,children's toys and molds. Please go and get Dehumidifier and put in every room in your house. The effect is almost immediate.
Check on Amazon or eBay for different ranges. Unibond Aero 360 is easy to replace,cheap and very effective.
Good luck.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dupyshoo: 11:59am On Nov 09, 2022
The bolded is a dehumidifier which is opposite of Humidifier.
Not sure dehumidifier helps with cough, I think it is humidifier that helps.

Cleanworld:

'miracle' humidifier. Drug doesn't have much effect in thi type of cough and cattarh thats cause my weather,children's toy and moulds. Please go and get Humidifier and put in every room in your house. The effect is almost immediate.
Check on Amazon or eBay for different ranges. Unibond Aero 360 is easy to replace,cheap and very effective.
Good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Cleanworld(f): 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2022
dupyshoo:
The bolded is a dehumidifier which is opposite of Humidifier.
Not sure dehumidifier helps with cough, I think it is humidifier that helps.

Thanks for the correction, its dehumidifier.

AERO 360° dehumidifier and odour neutraliser effectively absorbs moisture to help create a comfortable indoor climate and prevent common damp problems such as condensation, mould and musty smells. it strongly absorbs excess moisture and aimed at reducing cold and cough symptoms.

grin
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by niyi123: 8:31pm On Nov 09, 2022
Hello everyone!

I need a guide/advice

There is this school Hult International Business School, I have shown interest to do master in Finance with them, I got a call from someone who claimed to be from the school. He asked for my background and reason why I wanted to study master in Finance after which he told me that the next admission will be September 2023. I was told that the tuition is $55k.

My question is, how do I know if it is genuine and also that's about ₦30m which I can't even afford.

What are the best way to get a master programme in UK
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 8:59pm On Nov 09, 2022
niyi123:
Hello everyone!

I need a guide/advice

There is this school Hult International Business School, I have shown interest to do master in Finance with them, I got a call from someone who claimed to be from the school. He asked for my background and reason why I wanted to study master in Finance after which he told me that the next admission will be September 2023. I was told that the tuition is $55k.

My question is, how do I know if it is genuine and also that's about ₦30m which I can't even afford.

You'll need to ask this on the study in UK thread. Plus how can a UK institution quote you fees in $? All their fees are stated on their websites. Don't get scammed o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by niyi123: 9:24pm On Nov 09, 2022
Ticha:

You'll need to ask this on the study in UK thread. Plus how can a UK institution quote you fees in $? All their fees are stated on their websites. Don't get scammed o

Thanks
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Davidonkonsults: 11:21pm On Nov 09, 2022
niyi123:
Hello everyone!

I need a guide/advice

This should be in uk student thread.

However, if you have 30m to pay for this degree, you should be the one teaching them finance.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by niyi123: 11:29am On Nov 10, 2022
Davidonkonsults:

This should be in uk student thread.

However, if you have 30m to pay for this degree, you should be the one teaching them finance.

Thanks
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 1:13pm On Nov 10, 2022
niyi123:
Hello everyone!

I need a guide/advice

No school in UK is worth £55k tuition
.. yes I yabbed UK schools with full chest. cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2022
How are you my co parents? God bless you all.
How are you guys coping with school pick up and drop off? Other parents tend to ignore you while standing in the queue and depressed faces all over the place. Infact is not a fun place to be. This makes the whole experience burdensome. What are your experience fam and what are your coping strategies?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by niyi123: 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Ok

Thanks
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 7:07pm On Nov 10, 2022
jesmond3945:
How are you guys coping with school pick up and drop off? Other parents tend to ignore you while standing in the queue and depressed faces all over the place. Infact is not a fun place to be. This makes the whole experience burdensome. What are your experience fam and what are your coping strategies?

Welcome to the UK. cheesy

Just keep smiling and saying hello where/when you can but don’t have any expectations!

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2022
jesmond3945:

Drop and run with a sunny good morning!
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 9:25pm On Nov 10, 2022
Ticha:

Drop and run with a sunny good morning!
lol. Love that.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 9:27pm On Nov 10, 2022
babythug:

Welcome to the UK. cheesy

Just keep smiling and saying hello where/when you can but don’t have any expectations!

my dear na to swallow strong coffee. Where i see smile kwanu when everybody squeeze face like agege bread.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by xtianengr: 11:20pm On Nov 10, 2022
Pls help, what documents will I need to submit for my niece of 6yrs to follow me and my wife to the UK, she has no parents again (both is late) she bears the same surname with me, we have same facial look. Kindly help pls I have no one to leave her with.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by ukay2: 7:12am On Nov 11, 2022
jesmond3945:
my dear na to swallow strong coffee. Where i see smile kwanu when everybody squeeze face like agege bread.

Mind your business grin
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 8:09am On Nov 11, 2022
jesmond3945:

Are you in a predominantly white neighbourhood?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 8:34am On Nov 11, 2022
babythug:

Are you in a predominantly white neighbourhood?
not really. Mostly middle east and eastern europeans. I prefer white, at least they smile.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 8:35am On Nov 11, 2022
ukay2:

Mind your business grin
lol. I am trying. You know people you see on a daily.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by ukay2: 8:53am On Nov 11, 2022
jesmond3945:
lol. I am trying. You know people you see on a daily.

If l feel happy within myself, I may say Hiya and smile very little, otherwise i mind my business-drop my children in their classes or take them from their classes, then waka enter my car and zoom off to my house grin grin
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mimilyrics: 10:22am On Nov 11, 2022
Parents' death certificate, the child's birth certificate showing the dead people as her parents, a court order granting you parental responsibility or adoption documents. Also, proof that the child has been living with you and that you've been solely responsible for the child.
xtianengr:
Pls help, what documents will I need to submit for my niece of 6yrs to follow me and my wife to the UK, she has no parents again (both is late) she bears the same surname with me, we have same facial look. Kindly help pls I have no one to leave her with.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 10:28am On Nov 11, 2022
ukay2:

If l feel happy within myself, I may say Hiya and smile very little, otherwise i mind my business-drop my children in their classes or take them from their classes, then waka enter my car and zoom off to my house grin grin
yea. Anyway may God help us.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 10:32am On Nov 11, 2022
jesmond3945:
not really. Mostly middle east and eastern europeans. I prefer white, at least they smile.

It is well , na part of the immigrant ish we face!!
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Stevepop: 4:55pm On Nov 11, 2022
Cleanworld:

'miracle' dehumidifier. . Drug doesn't have much effect in this type of cough and cattarh thats cause by weather,children's toys and moulds. Please go and get Dehumidifier and put in every room in your house. The effect is almost immediate.
Good luck.

Many thanks for this. I'll try the dehumidifier out.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by XAUBulls: 6:50am On Nov 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Hello Everyone.

This is a space to talk about parenting, navigating cultural differences, knowing your rights and other general issues related to being a parent in the UK as a Nigerian Immigrant.

For general immigration information and tips on living in the UK, visit the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2

For questions on studying in the UK, please refer to the student thread: https://www.nairaland.com/6712649/uk-student-visa-tier-4#105017249.

Here’s to raising strong families.
Nice thread.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Stevepop: 10:15pm On Nov 12, 2022
tushqueen:

Olbas oil works as well. Buy at boots and put on baby's beddings or clothes. It helps relieve breathing and helps get rid of cattarh easilu

Thank you.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Hkana: 9:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
Hi fam, I'd like to ask if the maternity allowance counts as public funds
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 1:01am On Nov 22, 2022
Hkana:

I’ve heard it’s dependent on length on the job and type of employment. Hopefully someone with experience will throw more light.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 11:43am On Nov 22, 2022
Hkana:

Maternity allowance is not public funds. It is paid by the govt instead of the employer and is linked to earnings and length of employment. See below excerpt for more info:

Maternity pay if you are working or have worked recently

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid by the employer for 39 weeks to women who meet the qualifying conditions.

SMP is paid at two rates: for the first six weeks you get 90% of your average pay. After that you are paid £156.66 per week (April 2022 – April 2023), or 90% of your average earnings if that is lower, for 33 weeks.

Your employer must pay you SMP if your average earnings are at least £123 per week in approximately weeks 18 – 26 of your pregnancy. You must give your employer notice of the date you want to start your maternity leave and pay by the 15th week before your baby is due. You must also give your employer a copy of your MATB1 maternity certificate which you can get from your GP/midwife when you are 20 weeks pregnant and ask your employer to work out whether you qualify for SMP.

You are still entitled to receive SMP for the full 39 weeks once you have reached the 15th week before your baby is due and met the qualifying conditions, even if you are subsequently dismissed, made redundant or your job comes to an end. If your employer refuses to pay SMP or does not pay the correct amount, you can claim it from the HMRC Statutory Payments Disputes Team on 0300 322 9422.

Maternity Allowance (MA) is paid by the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) to women who do not qualify for SMP.

Maternity Allowance is paid at £156.66 per week (April 2022 – April 2023), or 90% of your average pay if that is lower, for 39 weeks.

You can claim MA if:

you have been employed or self-employed for at least 26 of the 66 weeks before the expected week of childbirth (you can use any weeks within that period), and
you can find 13 weeks (not necessarily in a row) in which you earned over £30 per week on average.
You should choose the weeks in which you earned the most. You can add together earnings from more than one job. Both employed and self-employed work counts for Maternity Allowance. You continue to be ‘employed’ by your employer during sick leave, annual leave and maternity leave so you can count those weeks as well.

You can claim Maternity Allowance on form MA1 which you can get from your local Jobcentre Plus, or by phoning the JobCentre Plus claim line on 0800 055 6688 or you can print from https://maternityaction.org.uk/advice/asylum-seekers-maternity-rights-and-benefits.

For more information, see: https://maternityaction.org.uk/advice/maternity-pay-questions/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Hkana: 12:49pm On Nov 22, 2022
Thank you so much Aunties Zahra29 and mamatukwas
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Davidonkonsults: 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Imagine o. 55 tasaaand pounds.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (27) (Reply)

Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.