Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,714 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (86741 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 10:59pm On Nov 22, 2022
Hello everyone!

Please does anyone have tips for preventing mould at home oh especially bathrooms. This wooden houses we live in sef , didn’t have such challenges in Nigeria… mcheew
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 1:02am On Nov 23, 2022
babythug:
Hello everyone!

Please does anyone have tips for preventing mould at home oh especially bathrooms. This wooden houses we live in sef , didn’t have such challenges in Nigeria… mcheew

Keep bathroom windows open even in the winter.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 7:01am On Nov 23, 2022
Ticha:

Keep bathroom windows open even in the winter.

Thank you very much . I already keep it open but just a crack , will ensure it’s wider.

I have plants in there too?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mimilyrics: 10:14am On Nov 23, 2022
Get dehumidifiers. For existing mould, use a mould and mildew cleaner to get it off.
babythug:

Thank you very much . I already keep it open but just a crack , will ensure it’s wider.

I have plants in there too?

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mamatwiny(f): 7:57pm On Nov 23, 2022
Cleanworld:

Hi, I've been in your shoes before I found this
'miracle' dehumidifier. . Drug doesn't have much effect in this type of cough and cattarh thats cause by weather,children's toys and moulds. Please go and get Dehumidifier and put in every room in your house. The effect is almost immediate.
Check on Amazon or eBay for different ranges. Unibond Aero 360 is easy to replace,cheap and very effective.
Good luck.

Thanks for this sis. I haven't been working for a month now cos of this cough. The GP referred me for chest xray and it came out clear- No infection. I have tried all naija therapy - steam with aboniki, bitter kola, onion juice and honey. Ginger and honey. Lemon , hot water and honey, Pepper mint.,Cough syrups, Flu tabs etc. I have been in UK for over a year but never had this last year. Infact, last year, I do pick shifts as late as 11pm and walk down to work. I never experienced this cough.
Let me try the dehumidifier now and hope it will end. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mamatwiny(f): 8:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
Safeob27:
Thank you mamatukwas for opening this thread, I can already sense that it would be of immense help. Hopefully I’ll be in the UK by September God willing and thinking of how I’ll manage for 4 year old son. He can be very very naughty and cries a lot despite his age. He’s the type that cries at the supermarket , in school , church , everywhere and his sister is well behaved. Might sound somehow but thinking of leaving him in Nigeria with his grandparents because all efforts made to stop this habits have not been successful for now.

Please check this child for Autism. Nigeria doesn’t diagnose it on time but it gets better with early intervention if it is. How us his speech? Does he bite people? Does he maintain eye contact? Read about this please.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Omonas035(f): 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
Good day mama's and papas.
I am a mother of two kids - 2.9 years and 5 years old. I will be coming to the University of Lincoln by January with my kids. Please suggest to me area with close proximity to school and where there is a good standard Catholic school.
Thank you in advance
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dexpendable(m): 11:33am On Dec 02, 2022
Hi guys is child benefits public funds?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mimilyrics: 1:48pm On Dec 02, 2022

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Omonas035(f): 8:36pm On Dec 06, 2022
Omonas035:
Good day mama's and papas.
I am a mother of two kids - 2.9 years and 5 years old. I will be coming to the University of Lincoln by January with my kids. Please suggest to me area with close proximity to school and where there is a good standard Catholic school.
Thank you in advance

Mama's and Papa's in the house, please assist here
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 1:42am On Dec 08, 2022
dexpendable:
Hi guys is child benefits public funds?

A very big yes.
Anything called "benefit" is most likely public funds
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 1:46am On Dec 08, 2022
Omonas035:

Mama's and Papa's in the house, please assist here

I don't know the area, but just wanted to advise that your 2.9 year old would not be eligible for a school place until the September after their 4th birthday.

You would need to apply to the council for a place for your 5 year old. As the school year is already in session you might find that the schools of your choice are full and you have to go on a waiting list or accept a place in a different school.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Omonas035(f): 4:02am On Dec 16, 2022
Zahra29:

I don't know the area, but just wanted to advise that your 2.9 year old would not be eligible for a school place until the September after their 4th birthday.

You would need to apply to the council for a place for your 5 year old. As the school year is already in session you might find that the schools of your choice are full and you have to go on a waiting list or accept a place in a different school.

Thank you and
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 9:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
Good evening oh my people!

Shey we will not run to our country and come back here during summer bayii?

Just looking at my smart meter reading for today alone and fear dey catch me sha

How is everyone coping?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LaXxOnebody(m): 7:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
How are you my co parents? God bless you all.
How are you guys coping with school pick up and drop off? Other parents tend to ignore you while standing in the queue and depressed faces all over the place. Infact is not a fun place to be. This makes the whole experience burdensome. What are your experience fam and what are your coping strategies?

I'll say hi when next I see you at Monkchester Nursery
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2022
LaXxOnebody:

I'll say hi when next I see you at Monkchester Nursery
lol me too
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by jesmond3945: 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2022
babythug:

Just looking at my smart meter reading for today alone and fear dey catch me sha

How is everyone coping?
no be only you

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Peerielass: 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2022
babythug:

How is everyone coping?

It’s expensive and the cold artic blast of the past few days is not helping matters. I’m averaging £8 per day on a very cold day (like -0 degrees) and about £5 on a normal day. I’ve worked out that it costs £1 per hour (gas) to heat up my house so I have the heating set for 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs at night time. On particularly cold days, I boost for an additional 2hrs in the afternoon because I work from home.

I’m afraid the situation is not going to change anytime soon. You just have to find a way around it. Buy oodies and hot water bottles to use in the house and keep doors shut to retain heat and reduce draft. If your house is susceptible to mold and condensation, invest in a good dehumidifier.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Temmyfab: 3:34pm On Dec 30, 2022
mumzt:
Awesome. We'll done mamatukwas, long overdue thread.

Here alone with 3 kids all under 8. husband is in Nigeria and just shuffles. Schooling and working without breaking a single rule. I hope to contribute as much as possible

Kudos mama, you are doing a great job o... You need to be awarded the best mum of the century�.... How are you coping please.... Share your experiences and tips please because I'm about to start this journey..... But with 2 kids though

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2023
Happy New Year Dear Parents In The UK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Inkredible(m): 9:50am On Jan 03, 2023
babythug:
Hello everyone!

Many people struggle with this in the uk, so you’re not alone.

Moulds build up when there’s high humidity (water droplets) in the air indoors. If you look at your window right now and there’s is water droplets accumulated on it, you might need to crank open the windows more.

The key to keeping mould out is to ventilate the whole house at least an hour a day and to keep the windows open when cooking or having a shower (keep the blinds closed for privacy in the latter)

Dry your washings in the dryer in winter or outside if you can when possible. If you must dry on the radiator, please keep the windows open.

Get a humidifier to keep humidity low if you can afford it.

Clean any mould when you see it.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babajeje123(m): 5:54pm On Jan 10, 2023
So I saw a video on my school WhatsApp about the incorporation of lgtb into relationship studies for primary schools come September. I looked for the full video online and fortunately I found it here https://www.tiktok.com/@globalfunzone/video/7184360909089918213?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7184360909089918213

While I don't have a problem with anyone becoming whatever they want, I have a lot of problem with my kids been a part of these lessons and I feel the easiest way out for now is to subscribe to home schooling. Please how do one go about it?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 1:15am On Jan 11, 2023
babajeje123:
So I saw a video on my school WhatsApp about the incorporation of lgtb into relationship studies for primary schools come September. I looked for the full video online and fortunately I found it here https://www.tiktok.com/@globalfunzone/video/7184360909089918213?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7184360909089918213

While I don't have a problem with anyone becoming whatever they want, I have a lot of problem with my kids been a part of these lessons and I feel the easiest way out for now is to subscribe to home schooling. Please how do one go about it?

The HS community is the babanla house of alternative parents! Unless you want to isolate your children from everyone, your children will still be part of those lessons just from being out and about in the community. You need to arm them with the knowledge you want them to have to navigate the society they find themselves in. HS won't help with that.

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 8:43am On Jan 12, 2023
babajeje123:

I don’t know much about home schooling but my view on this lgbtq thing is just to ensure you safeguard your children by educating them properly, watching out for and curbing any untoward behaviour and prayers !

There is no way they won’t eventually be exposed to lgbtq wahala in this Europe
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by domin8(f): 12:41pm On Jan 15, 2023
Morning All,

A friend needs some advice. She has had her 3year Child in a nursery since 2021 on the afternoon schedule (1pm to 6pm) while she was studying and her husband working full time. The Child qualified for the 15 free hours in September last year and has been going 3 times a week. My Friend recently finished studying and is now trying to get a job, do her driving lessons while taking care of 2 older kids (9 and 7)

The Nursery contacted her some days ago to change the timing of her child coming to the nursery because they want to make space for other working parents who desperately need it. The timing they are suggesting is not convenient and they are saying since she is not working she should take up those times.

Is it right for the Nursery to do this knowing that Nursery spaces are 1st come 1st have and my friend had to wait during her own time to get a slot? She is confused on what to do.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2023
domin8:
Morning All,

A friend needs some advice. She has had her 3year Child in a nursery since 2021 on the afternoon schedule (1pm to 6pm) while she was studying and her husband working full time. The Child qualified for the 15 free hours in September last year and has been going 3 times a week. My Friend recently finished studying and is now trying to get a job, do her driving lessons while taking care of 2 older kids (9 and 7)

The Nursery contacted her some days ago to change the timing of her child coming to the nursery because they want to make space for other working parents who desperately need it. The timing they are suggesting is not convenient and they are saying since she is not working she should take up those times.

Is it right for the Nursery to do this knowing that Nursery spaces are 1st come 1st have and my friend had to wait during her own time to get a slot? She is confused on what to do.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I am not at all aware that ANY Nursery can force you to take hours you do not want. She should firmly but politely tell them that she is unable to change her hours now as she has commitments that make it impossible. How do they know she doesn’t work from home for instance?

There’s nothing someone will not see in this country. Hian.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Iruobe1987: 2:32pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hello mums, my daughter came down with cough, catarrh, nd high temperature I think she was infected from school, I av tried all medication for a week now but non seems to work. how do I go about it cos wen I called our GP I was told it's not an emergency and they can only book us till mid February. O sun mi ooo
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dupyshoo: 6:21pm On Jan 17, 2023
Try 111 or GP alliance. I usually get same day physical or video appointment for my kids.
Iruobe1987:
Hello mums, my daughter came down with cough, catarrh, nd high temperature I think she was infected from school, I av tried all medication for a week now but non seems to work. how do I go about it cos wen I called our GP I was told it's not an emergency and they can only book us till mid February. O sun mi ooo
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Peerielass: 6:31pm On Jan 17, 2023
Iruobe1987:

You can also try your local pharmacy, the community pharmacists are trained to prescribe medicine for minor ailments. Also keep an eye on that fever and try and bring her temperature down.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Iruobe1987: 8:33pm On Jan 17, 2023
dupyshoo:
Try 111 or GP alliance. I usually get same day physical or video appointment for my kids.
thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Iruobe1987: 8:33pm On Jan 17, 2023
Peerielass:

You can also try your local pharmacy, the community pharmacists are trained to prescribe medicine for minor ailments. Also keep an eye on that fever and try and bring her temperature down.

Thank you
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ebravo23: 8:10am On Jan 18, 2023
Good morning ,

I would be coming next week with my daughter who is 16 and is in year 12 having done and passed her IGCSE back home. I have called the council and I was told council doesn't handle placement for 16 year olds! I was under the impression children attended school free till they are 18.
I would appreciate advice on how to go about this, I have started emailing schools directly and would love to lock down her school and then sort accommodation closer to her.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.