Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,522 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50301 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
Sanchez01:

Two million might be enough to sustain you for a year and half if you want to pursue a career in tech, only possibly if you are a minimalist and not banking on paying rent from that money. Say feeding, data and a few other things, but definitely not rent.

I switched from telecommunication to tech at 30+ and I do not regret it one bit. You are not old at 30. Some say life begins when you have an awakening, be at 40, 50 or 70. The question is whether or not you are ready to chase your dream.

Answer these questions, not necessarily publicly:

1. What part of tech are you eyeing?
2. Do you have a good laptop (as I know every part of tech requires one)?
3. How cheap or expensive is your rent? If you take out your rent from N2m, what is left?
4. Take out a data budget for a year and see how much is left.
5. Calculate your feeding on a monthly basis, multiply by 18 months and see what is left.
6. You need to set aside some money for emergencies. How much are you willing to spare?
7. How much do you spend on utilities monthly (electricity, waste, gas and water)?
8. If the answer to your number 2 is no, find out if whatever is left can afford a decent laptop that won't freeze or crash while you learn your new tech skill.
9. Finally, can your side hustle run conveniently even when you learn your tech skill?

This isn't exactly bad. If you don't womanize, club and party hard, just learn idea of stocking up monthly. Go minimal. Don't eat out. Always cook.

You could. Or not...

Note that picking up a tech skill doesn't mean you will get a job next month. Depending on the skill and how fast you learn, you might not be able to successfully get a job until you learn the ropes, not fully but decently. I'd say 18 months, if you are a fast learner. Say the basic role in the industry.

PS: DON'T PAY FOR TECH SKILL! If someone has told you to pay to learn, depending on the area, there are tons of resource materials, YouTube channels and resource websites that you can leverage on to up your tech skills.

Thanks alot. Answering the questions, I think I can skim by for 18 months without major issue.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2022
nnamdiosu:

What you feel now is the same thing all great men, inventors, geniuses felt that made them drop whatever they were doing to achieve that greatness.

You sir are a great man.

Other people would have being happy, earning what you have. They would have flexed the savings or gone into vices. But u still feel something is missing...that means you were cut more for this.

That's the first indication.

My submission.
Your passion or interest is a key decider into where your destiny, seat of greatness lies. You said tech huh? So start up.

Get a laptop
Get subscription
Join tech groups online
Ask questions
Visit the nl tech rooms
Get a tech friend
Watch videos on YouTube
Get a tech mentor
Get a tech training school or trainer
Get tech friends
Pray to God
Believe in yourself
Read widely in tech
Google your tech questions
Pray harder to God for directions and to connect you with the right people.

I was at this cross road many years ago. And the steps above I did them.
Where I am, is absolutely a grace of God.

Try the steps I listed above. As surely as surely, it will work for you.

Feel free to pm me.
I repeat, you are indeed a rough diamond. You are a great man.
Peace.

Thanks . I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
Kajaard:

Betterprospect don't call anybody. These bunch of scammers and lowlifes. Anything you want to say to him say it here. Rubbish.

Thanks boss. I know better not to.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by 123readygo: 7:34pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.

Hmmmmmm
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:36pm On Mar 14, 2022
Iamfrank:
Sometimes I wonder how some nairalanders think. Someone has a problem with his job n career change and asked for an advice towards it, some person's began to insult him saying he is ungrateful and doesn't value what he has. The truth is that, there is a point in life, a person's deserves more on what he or she is getting. That is while we see footballers signing a new contract with higher pay or musicians leaving their record labels to start theirs. I believe the OP is at that stage of life because of his experience n his level of information has really expanded. I wanted opening d same topic coz am passing through exactly d same tin, but I have only saved 1.1m.

Thanks bro. Its sad really. I guess they just allow their problems and current situations to cloud their judgement.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by vikkogg: 7:38pm On Mar 14, 2022
BItt:

Hey bro, I know exactly how it is bro.
Don't give up. God will do the best for you

Thank you so much for your concern, bro. I really appreciate it. God bless you always.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by November24(f): 7:41pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

You are not old bro.

30 is young, face your life, things can change, what if u were dead?

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Highorbit7O16: 7:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
How did you save up 2million from 120K monthly salary? Betterprospect
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:51pm On Mar 14, 2022
baba4thegehs:
At 28 I was clueless, depressed worked at a job I hated so much and was ready to take a pay cut to leave ...

I picked myself up and started learning a skill, spent hours on that new career path got my first paying job after 6 months about 200k

I think My life started at 29. I worked so hard to get really good at the skills then resigned got another job that pays 500k. Then got another that pays over 700k. Living my best life now.

Life has no rule book, you just have to be daring and be ready to take chances at whatever opportunity you have

All the best fam. If you want to get into tech, be ready to work 100x harder to get really good at your choosing career path.

Thanks boss. Are u in IT?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 7:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:

At 20-25, you had siblings and parents as well.

Yes, I did, but no pressure. No responsibility.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 8:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
Highorbit7O16:
How did you save up 2million from 120K monthly salary? Betterprospect

I didn't saved all 2m from the 120k job. In fact my savings from it is about 500k only. The 50k monthly side hustle helped, and I did alot of other hustle too.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Winsolution: 8:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Exkandayee:
Bro you senior me with 2 years and I worth close to 500k dolls,,,I dropped out of school at 23, through wuru wuru I found myself hereinAmericase,but life is not easyoooh,see ehh bro, lemme tell you something,use that your 2 mili,300k go get you sk Visa, just japa,,and hustle hard,I bet it before you clock 35 you go deh alright, find one mixed race marry or kpatakpata marry Asian you go see how happy you go be,no marry naija girl or you go be unhappy
boy you are funny o
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Fredfr33zy(m): 8:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
IamDavid:
Convert your 2M to dolls first. I don't have any serious advice like dat but just know that tech is getting saturated already. You have to be really skilled to edge others now. No matter what you think, you're actually doing better than some others

You don't have to be the first, but be the best. Facebook wasn't the first social media, Uber wasn't the first e-hailing service.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sanchez01: 8:10pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Thanks alot. Answering the questions, I think I can skim by for 18 months without major issue.
If you can, by all means resign and start as soon as possible.

There will be fear and some little doubts when the move seems bold but you'll be fine. All the best.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Freelancer1759(m): 8:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
First, I must applaud you for saving upto 2M in a time like this. You're 30 years right? You've got a job and a passion. Your job is paying you well when compared to what an average employee in Nigeria is earning.

I'll recommend you thank God for life, job, business IQ, first. Cos many people older than you just need around 1/10 of what you have now to dey alright.

I know you're not where you ought to be but I think it's harsh for you to call yourself unfulfilled. Do you even know ow what unfulfilled means? You don't even wanna know.

Not to discourage you but still focus on your work until you plan your business properly. The country is somehow now and sometimes adequate preparation aren't enough. I believe light thrives most when darkness abounds. Look for the opportunities in this harsh economy and create a concrete plan.

I'm sure your needs will be met in due time.

Shalom.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Munzy14(m): 8:27pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
that is the point my brother....... op think life is cruel to him, he does not know life more cruel to some people........ that 2million he has will change some peoples life
As in eeh....My dad will say, see when I married your mom, The salarie from both side was nothing to write home about..

But, we survived.. cheesy

Just get who you understands, and she understand you as well, case settled.. grin
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Stargurl20(f): 8:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
U are a man and u are carrying that u aren't married because u are above 30. Na WA o... Ni be say them dey talk say men have all time in the world to choose when to get married?
In my opinion u gat nothing to worry about.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by pharmaking: 9:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
You cannot have an ideal situation all the time.

Show me a boss that is not bossy.

Show me a workplace without its own toxicity.

Omo, na to dey endure till you have a clearer pix of what next.

If you quit because you are angry, o boy, hunger dey o.

That 2milla wet u dey call small, some ogas never see am before at once self.

Calm down small.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by trytillmake(m): 9:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
I believe u must have had enough advice here. u aimt too old Bro, u can start
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by onosChrisbrown1: 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
Contact me on 07063794391 for Advise
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Aaay: 9:56pm On Mar 14, 2022
Save up and leave the country goto western world study a stem course and succeed
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Rawhumper(m): 10:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
This one dey look for cruise.....abeg u wan make guys start dey toast u nah

ote author=Betterprospect post=111023103]Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

Now my dilemma is:

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.[/quote]
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by blaquebelle: 10:27pm On Mar 14, 2022
YeyeGbami:
alison.com/courses
God bless you bro

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by emmybliz(m): 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2022
BabaIbo:
Work on yourself first i.e your thinking...

Few years ago, my income as a subject teacher was 30 to 35k, excluding home tutorial etc that sometimes push it to 80k to 100k depending on the number of clients.

My point exactly is, you are not old to start anything.
During the covid era, I stopped working and decided to start my own business with less than 200k+ in my savings. Nice one, what business are you into?
Thank God, the plan went accordingly and today I don't even look like what I have been through.
My worth is over 1000 percent of what I had only account when I started making the plan and putting it into action excluding the savings.

Note: I already pass the age of 30 before I switched from working for others to owning my own business.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 10:42pm On Mar 14, 2022
Rawhumper:
This one dey look for cruise.....abeg u wan make guys start dey toast u nah

ote author=Betterprospect post=111023103]Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

Now my dilemma is:

Cruise ko , kuli kuli ni. I'm a man. So no be everybody get ulterior motives like you.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Rawhumper(m): 10:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
You just said ur intention bro..... This is a very lame way to get attention.

A real man goes for what he wants rather
than hiding under a façade of "am a hustling
but well to do guy" blah blah blah.....truly if
am a girl eh,I will buy latest sharpest clipper I
will cut ur hair even ur eye brow and eye
lashes I will cut every thing u won't have a
kobo left.

Betterprospect:

Cruise ko , kuli kuli ni. I'm a man. So no be everybody get ulterior motives like you.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by BusinessDream: 10:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Thanks bro. What programme did you design this with?
I used Photoshop
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Ifyriz(f): 2:05am On Mar 15, 2022
@30, you aren't too old for a career change. you can change career even at 50, as for your job do not quit it yet.

Technology has made life easier now, you can work online even while keeping your job. look closely you will notice that those crying are those looking for the shortcut to a financial breakthrough - Ponzi.

Don't be among those who cry, sit down & ask irrelevant questions. Follow me on WhatsApp +
5511949692812 or Dm and I will reveal the secrets on different ways you can make your life worth living
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by bepositive11: 3:08am On Mar 15, 2022
Betterprospect:

Thank you. the cons concerning the age is worrisome, but I'm not necessarily looking to start a family soon.

I know I have got the flair for it, but as for my strength, I really don't know how to judge that. I have learned html, css, and php while I was serving as a youth corper and I think I did fairly well considering i learned it under a year. But then, people do learn it in far shorter time.

Regarding age, since you don't want to get married anytime soon, as long as you can keep an open mind and not take things personally - not minding your age mates being ahead of you and your boss being younger than you - it's not something to worry much about.

Since you previously learned html, css, and php, you're not really starting from scratch. Do some research on the area of tech you'd like to get into - whether it's web design, back end development, cyber security, etc - then figure out what steps you need to take in terms of certifications.

You're probably better off not doing a degree but getting certifications specific to your area of interest. There are many free resources like "free code camp" to help you learn faster

While building your career, start doing small jobs online or locally to get more experience and build your portfolio
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by olaodun: 3:21am On Mar 15, 2022
As an experienced person, your health and happiness should be your priority work will come and go
1 if your job is not giving you happiness plan for better alternative - but don t rush out plan very well - You study agric and food is scarce why cant you see how to use your skills to form a business in that line either production food or livestock, marketing , distribution or logistics
2. Tech business, you can test run that and if it works expand it and establish your self
3 Start planning for marriage and dont rush into it if you get it right your partner can also support your vision
Plan, work, and pray but dont rush in or out
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by InvertedHammer: 5:26am On Mar 15, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

/

Now imagine if you are single, 30 and "happy at your job"? You will be very comfortable at your job to the point that you become stagnant without realizing that you could do better.

The narcissist attitude of your boss is the motivation you need for progress. And already you are thinking in the right direction.

/

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / Groundnut Hawker Wearing Suit And Tie (Photos) / Access Bank Green Internship (2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.