Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,807 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50304 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by qtguru(m): 3:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
Munzy14:

First, I see a low self esteem case in you..

Many people, even married people are in your condition...Doing the job for the bills...Nothing else..
Whoever employed and pay you, is like a god you have here....With the talk down on boss mentality, are you sure you can be a boss? I doubt.

2Million is meagre to you? Another case of lack of confidence in yourself..Some people who live in flats with a car, may not even have upto 100k in account...Just one shady deals to another but using packaging to mess your ego.

You work 12hours, you still have time to engage in side hustles...Use it to test how hard it is to start and grow a business in out volatile Economy, then you will learn to appreciate your boss...You think it is easy sad employ just one person and you will know humans are the worst animal to control on earth. We are too stubborn.

Lastly, the marriage talk @30 you are putting yourself under unnecessary pressure, mind you, depression is real..
Guys wise up, you must have that mental, psychological and a bit financial security before you will go and frustrate somebody's daughter.

You might be a bit financial secured, but from your write up, you seem indicisive undecided such men don't make good husband...I mean how you be soo scared of your little achievements and so unsure of yourself @30.

As a man, life starts @30...Your life just started..Go and conquer your world...You started well and on a fair table.
Your 2million should be saved in dollars If you are not using it in the next 5months...Or you go for a genuim landed property if you are not going to use the 2million in the next 2-3years..When the land appreciates you resell and take your capital and profit.

At this stage, you must learn to move at your pace..the only competition you need is you, and yourself...Working smart to double whatever you have...And strive to marry at 35.....

Remove yourself from peer pressure...you are now a man...How confident you are is a what makes you super attractive for the woman you are going to settle down with...

No age is small to change career in tech world if it is your passion.

Very very important advices, I moved all my money to dollars, Naira is just depreciating daily.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by BabaIbo: 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2022
Work on yourself first i.e your thinking...

Few years ago, my income as a subject teacher was 30 to 35k, excluding home tutorial etc that sometimes push it to 80k to 100k depending on the number of clients.

My point exactly is, you are not old to start anything.
During the covid era, I stopped working and decided to start my own business with less than 200k+ in my savings.
Thank God, the plan went accordingly and today I don't even look like what I have been through.
My worth is over 1000 percent of what I had only account when I started making the plan and putting it into action excluding the savings.

Note: I already pass the age of 30 before I switched from working for others to owning my own business.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2022
jaxxy:

Nothing as sickening as working for a terrible and sadistic boss bt u have to suck it up and deal with it.

Have a clear idea of what u want to achieve that makes u happy.

Then have a day to day or weekly/monthly plan to achieve it. Then start!

SAVE more before u leave cos u need enough backup and see how to scale up ur current side business to be more reliable b4 u leave

See ur work for now as a temporary means to a end and nothing more.

And Yes at 30 or more u can still forge a new career path. IT is even easier cos the skills and certifications are online.

Thanks I appreciate
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Exkandayee(m): 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2022
seanwilliam:
good on how you jumped from 2m to over 250m and back to the base you were deported in 3month .
Crazy guy, that's my worth even before my issue, everything was freezed,,,wtf you interrogating me, you ain't fbi ,,,I think I've given you the information you needed now,
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by EndRape2(f): 3:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
Do you Msc, you can do it in Noun, then get a lecturing job, and do phd.

quote author=Betterprospect post=111023103]Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.[/quote]
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Nyanabo(m): 3:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
30yrs is just the beginning of your prime sir. I would say give it another year before delving in full time into a career change.

But you can start self-teaching yourself the basic before you go into it full time in another year.

Cheers
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2022
sukkot:
2 milion naira is tiny money ? thats like 4000 dollars. OP is trolling

Lols bro. Trolling? If you are not there yet, I pray you get there a supercede. It's not what it's really is... Even billionaires yarn for more, ask dangote
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 3:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
gerizzim:
Your worries:
1. You are 30yrs
2. Unmarried
3. Unhappy on your job
4. You want to have a career change

If diz are ur concerns, wat abt a female friend that I know that is 47years old, unmarried , doesn't have a job dt also implies there is no career change for my jobless female friend.

The truth is dis,ur not a grateful person.
you are far beta off Dan millions of Nigerians within ur age bracket.
Go and swap position with the 29yrs old guy living wit his 60yrs old father doin teaching job dt earns possibly less Dan 40k let him tell you the meaning of wt it means not to be happy.

I'm grateful. Look at it this way. Im in the same dilemma as that 29 yrs you describe up there. We simply just want more. Millions of Africans are far below him too, but guess what, he yearn for more doesn't he?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Marriage is not a licence, to happiness............

You call yourself old at 30 ?? What would you say, when you turn 60.............. cheesy

If you saved those fund's, from your current employer's wage .......... We don't all like our bosses, but we stick it .......... cheesy

Thanks boss. One of the reason why I think I could be more is the fact that I only saved ¼ of the 2 million from my work. The remaining were from side works and hustle.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by cucumbar: 3:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
Sanchez01:

Two million might be enough to sustain you for a year and half if you want to pursue a career in tech, only possibly if you are a minimalist and not banking on paying rent from that money. Say feeding, data and a few other things, but definitely not rent.

I switched from telecommunication to tech at 30+ and I do not regret it one bit. You are not old at 30. Some say life begins when you have an awakening, be at 40, 50 or 70. The question is whether or not you are ready to chase your dream.

Answer these questions, not necessarily publicly:

1. What part of tech are you eyeing?
2. Do you have a good laptop (as I know every part of tech requires one)?
3. How cheap or expensive is your rent? If you take out your rent from N2m, what is left?
4. Take out a data budget for a year and see how much is left.
5. Calculate your feeding on a monthly basis, multiply by 18 months and see what is left.
6. You need to set aside some money for emergencies. How much are you willing to spare?
7. How much do you spend on utilities monthly (electricity, waste, gas and water)?
8. If the answer to your number 2 is no, find out if whatever is left can afford a decent laptop that won't freeze or crash while you learn your new tech skill.
9. Finally, can your side hustle run conveniently even when you learn your tech skill?

This isn't exactly bad. If you don't womanize, club and party hard, just learn idea of stocking up monthly. Go minimal. Don't eat out. Always cook.

You could. Or not...
[b][/b]
Note that picking up a tech skill doesn't mean you will get a job next month. Depending on the skill and how fast you learn, you might not be able to successfully get a job until you learn the ropes, not fully but decently. I'd say 18 months, if you are a fast learner. Say the basic role in the industry.

PS: DON'T PAY FOR TECH SKILL! If someone has told you to pay to learn, depending on the area, there are tons of resource materials, YouTube channels and resource websites that you can leverage on to up your tech skills.
what of stuffs like data science?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Munzy14(m): 3:12pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
abi wetin person go do, life no balance, op they complain, but some people no even get that kind of savings
He isn't aware..I do business..It is funny when you see some married guys account balance... grin

But they are living and training kids...A man is blessed when he marries that lady meant for him on earth...I mean you two wake and smile at eachother.. cheesy you are satisfied and morale is high to conquer the day... grin

E no easy, but don't relax o...Try so Many things at the same time...to pick multiples on income no mattet how small.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Kelechi009: 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2022
Sanchez01:

Two million might be enough to sustain you for a year and half if you want to pursue a career in tech, only possibly if you are a minimalist and not banking on paying rent from that money. Say feeding, data and a few other things, but definitely not rent.

I switched from telecommunication to tech at 30+ and I do not regret it one bit. You are not old at 30. Some say life begins when you have an awakening, be at 40, 50 or 70. The question is whether or not you are ready to chase your dream.

Answer these questions, not necessarily publicly:

1. What part of tech are you eyeing?
2. Do you have a good laptop (as I know every part of tech requires one)?
3. How cheap or expensive is your rent? If you take out your rent from N2m, what is left?
4. Take out a data budget for a year and see how much is left.
5. Calculate your feeding on a monthly basis, multiply by 18 months and see what is left.
6. You need to set aside some money for emergencies. How much are you willing to spare?
7. How much do you spend on utilities monthly (electricity, waste, gas and water)?
8. If the answer to your number 2 is no, find out if whatever is left can afford a decent laptop that won't freeze or crash while you learn your new tech skill.
9. Finally, can your side hustle run conveniently even when you learn your tech skill?

This isn't exactly bad. If you don't womanize, club and party hard, just learn idea of stocking up monthly. Go minimal. Don't eat out. Always cook.

You could. Or not...

Note that picking up a tech skill doesn't mean you will get a job next month. Depending on the skill and how fast you learn, you might not be able to successfully get a job until you learn the ropes, not fully but decently. I'd say 18 months, if you are a fast learner. Say the basic role in the industry.

PS: DON'T PAY FOR TECH SKILL! If someone has told you to pay to learn, depending on the area, there are tons of resource materials, YouTube channels and resource websites that you can leverage on to up your tech skills.

Since you switched from telecommunications to tech, why don't you just become his personal tutor and he can pay for your time.

Seems you are the best person in position to help this dude, because self learning is very difficult especially for someone who has never written "hello world" in his life. Just message him and you can help him from there because I see that he his getting so many nonsense advise until I came across your post.

Biko help this man, if it is in your power to help.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Myzzyfrazzy(m): 3:15pm On Mar 14, 2022
The major problem i see here is you not having time for your passion. Here is my little advice as someone in thesame shoes as you. Use your 2m to go into transport buy a keke or a car for uber. You are still single so you dont need to work alot its flexible for you and transportation is lucrative thats if you are not ashamed.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Dminister(m): 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2022
When I was still at the university, There was this Elderly man with grey hair attending lectures with us. I learnt he was direct entry student and today he is SAN. Life is all about determination.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by gabicon: 3:18pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.

I think you need to ask yourself some more important questions, like

what is my gift/talent?
What do I want to achieve in life?
How best can I be of service to my community.

Answers to questions like these fuel your passion and rekindles energy. I don't think you should quit your job yet, until you have a solid plan. If you want to go into tech, can you commit 1hr everyday to learning something about the line of tech you are interested in? Success doesn't give of the luxury or convinence we do what we have to do to be successful.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by princeemmma(m): 3:20pm On Mar 14, 2022
Munzy14:

He isn't aware..I do business..It is funny when you see some married guys account balance... grin

But they are living and training kids...A man is blessed when he marries that lady meant for him on earth...I mean you two wake and smile at eachother.. cheesy you are satisfied and morale is high to conquer the day... grin

E no easy, but don't relax o...Try so Many things at the same time...to pick multiples on income no mattet how small.
that is the point my brother....... op think life is cruel to him, he does not know life more cruel to some people........ that 2million he has will change some peoples life
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sanchez01: 3:23pm On Mar 14, 2022
cucumbar:
what of stuffs like data science?
Even better. I don't operate in the field but you can start easy and up the difficulty level as you proceed. I know Programming in Python works for data scientists.

Learning on your own here can work but it is difficult landing a job without certifications and accreditations to back up the skill set claim.

I don't know if there is a way around it but if there are popular certifications online that are recognised, then that might just be all you need to go. Almost every tech aspect requires certification if you are to be taken seriously though.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Clinghton: 3:24pm On Mar 14, 2022
Don't lose what you have now because you're comfortable with it, opportunities like that don't easily come by.

Retain the job, start up something like you said about tech when it has matured enough you can quit.

*Don't quit your job to start your dream career.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by seanwilliam(m): 3:24pm On Mar 14, 2022
Exkandayee:

Crazy guy, that's my worth even before my issue, everything was freezed,,,wtf you interrogating me, you ain't fbi ,,,I think I've given you the information you needed now,
lol regardless I respect your resiliency.. most deportees swing into depression but you’re able to gather yourself and bounce back .
Wish you all round success
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by donMIG(m): 3:26pm On Mar 14, 2022
Some pole no even know weitin God do for them
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Ishilove: 3:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

Now my dilemma is:

There is something seriously wrong with you.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Osamanelly(m): 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2022
Omo you are lucky oooo if I get this kind of work I will be happy ooo
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by nonix22(m): 3:35pm On Mar 14, 2022
Hold on tight to your job as long as you are not alone in the situation. Your Boss' cup will soon fill up.
Make Naija situation no come humble you.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by nonix22(m): 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2022
How do you even save up such amount?
Don't you pay rent, bills, car maintenance, feeding or buy some stuffs you and your extended family may need??
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by sukkot: 3:39pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Lols bro. Trolling? If you are not there yet, I pray you get there a supercede. It's not what it's really is... Even billionaires yarn for more, ask dangote
thats not the point. no matter how much you have, 2 million naira will still be a lot of money. the money is enough to buy a vehicle. or buy 2 latest iphones or to buy plots of land. its a lot of money. am not saying you are rich ? but its a lot of money
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by SUPOTOK(m): 3:41pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

just be thanking God for your situation, am also same age as you are but still struggling with university education, not married still looking unto parents and siblings to survive, sometimes I feel like quit but if I still think around I still always thanks God this is not the level I supposed to be but I still thank God, for some days now things are really though for to extent of feeding is problem but I still thank God cos I believe my story will change some days....pls Incase anyone wants to be his brother keeper my aza account is 0215514559 Gtbank, I want to start something that brings me income too not to look on anyone before I can feed or spends. there are many ideas but lack capital... Thanks
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by deavicky(m): 3:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

leave him and invest on that ur 50k business. U can grow it. If u decides to stay a year or two at the end you might not even get any much money than what u have now.and u Will begin to get use to the work.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Roseey0(f): 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2022
Create a plan.
Have you considered leaving the company for another with better working condition even if the pay is less so you have more time to earn and still train for your passion?

Or you just want to pursue passion?
What exactly do you want to do?
How much will it cost you to do it?
What's the time frame to achieve it?
How much do you need in other to survive without a paying job atleast while training for what you want to do?

Sum up and save for the exact amount. Resign when you hit your target , then start your training.
No one should endure 12hours long work forever. If you are doing it, it should be temporary and not long term.

30 is still very young to pursue anything once you put your mind to it.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by easzypeaszy(m): 3:50pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

I just quit my job dis morning..dis bosses are sick somtimes
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Ken4ward: 3:51pm On Mar 14, 2022
I’ll share a bit of myself. I had a career in arts (POP and sculptural work) at the age of 29. I was so sure I’m not fulfilled, and based on my future goal I was so sure I won’t achieve my plans being in that career.

So I sat myself, and draft out what exactly I want as a career. Future decisions shouldn’t be made by instincts, you need prayers. God instructed me to go study an IT course. My final pick was in the IT (Software Development). So, I went to NIIT. After that, my first job was to manage a computer center, and I was paid N100 per day.

So far, my career in the IT has brought great transformation to my life and spans about 13 years. I presently work with a company in Europe, the company fully sponsored my relocation. But there are several things I sacrificed. So it’s all about what’s more important to you. It’s either to suffer the pain of discipline now and switch your career to have the future you want or suffer the pain of regret in the future. The ball is in your court.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Groundnut Hawker Wearing Suit And Tie (Photos) / Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / Access Bank Green Internship (2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.