Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50298 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Localgrandpa: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2022
I'm in my late 30s married with kids. I just changed career to something I love. Though I don't even know if I can make a very good living from it now. But who cares as long as I'm happy .

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:09pm On Mar 14, 2022
Kobicove:

You came here to ask for opinions on career change then suddenly veered off and started giving out details about how much money you have saved...how does that information even concern us?

In my experience once people start volunteering private information about their finances in a public forum it's usually because they want to use it as bait

It's well bro. Let's agree to disagree. If you are in my shoes and need to make this decision, would you not consider how much amount you had at hand? If so, if you need to seek pples advice, wouldn't you let them know what you have at hand so they can have a better picture of the scenerio?

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by BItt: 5:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
vikkogg:

Boss, give thanks to God for yours is still better. I'll be 33 years by June, I'm single and unemployed. I am a graduate of Statistics from U.I. I have no source of income whatsoever. No money to startup any business and I'm yet to get a job. But...I won't give up because I know God will remember me one day. Bro, just keep managing that your job till you get a better one. Stay blessed.

Hey bro, I know exactly how it is bro.
Don't give up. God will do the best for you
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 14, 2022
Sorry
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by 1sherlockHolmes: 5:22pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.
op u just want to make me depressed oo at 27 i dont have shishi nd i no get any job all my mates are prospering while im getting poorer thank god for your life mr op
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:25pm On Mar 14, 2022
bepositive11:
Lots of great comments already. Just want to say make sure that you believe in yourself first

In fact, first of all, what are your strengths and weaknesses? To thrive in tech, you need to be a very good problem solver and creative thinker

You can start at any age, as long as you are a fast learner and dedicated, and your strengths align with tech

You can also test some programming tutorials to see if you like it

As for your current situation, you have no one to blame but yourself. Take responsibility and work towards improving your situation. Whether that means getting a new job or starting a new career or business

Don't forget to think about your future plans. If you want to start a family soon, you'll be at a great disadvantage by starting from scratch it tech. It will take time for you to establish yourself and you may face some discrimination based on your older age. Your age mates would be far ahead than you in the tech industry and your tech boss may end up being someone younger than you. Just some other things to keep in mind

Thank you. the cons concerning the age is worrisome, but I'm not necessarily looking to start a family soon.

I know I have got the flair for it, but as for my strength, I really don't know how to judge that. I have learned html, css, and php while I was serving as a youth corper and I think I did fairly well considering i learned it under a year. But then, people do learn it in far shorter time.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:26pm On Mar 14, 2022
qwertyboss:

Just thank God and move on,
Am 30 without job not to talk of wife...
Just thank God you don't have depression grin
Have been struggling with injury sustained in an accident while searching for job for 2years now.
I don't even have what to fund my medication but I smile and move, hoping I don't wake up the next morning...
Guy sharperly thank God and adjust your life to current situation...

Sorry bro. You going thru alot but it will pass. It just a phase, just it is with everybody.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:29pm On Mar 14, 2022
oshaosha2014:
Continue with your job. Honestly, you are doing well. Save up to 10million naira at this momentum and research and move into a small business.

10 million?? I will most likely grow grey hair first. A larger chunk of the money was made from side hustle, not from my main job. And the side hustle is no more profitable for now, so I might be stock at this junction for awhile
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:30pm On Mar 14, 2022
1sherlockHolmes:
op u just want to make me depressed oo at 27 i dont have shishi nd i no get any job all my mates are prospering while im getting poorer thank god for your life mr op

Bro I just gave you a 3 solid years head start. Do something bout it.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Zaheertyler(m): 5:33pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

Invest in your business and face it full time.. in 2 years you have liberty sir
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Jekins1759: 5:37pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Bro I just gave you a 3 solid years head start. Do something bout it.
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Jekins1759: 5:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dia is no time limits my dear,just decide on wat u want to do and start it ASAP,I can even be of help to u regards dt,just add me up on (ig) Jekens 77
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by anzaku47(m): 5:45pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

First I want to sympathize with you.
You earn 120k monthly which is a bit manageable since you are still single.
I studied Agricultural related course and I tell you field staff are always choked up with much work.
That your 2 million naira is fine to start up your career as a farmer.
Please move out of that place ASAP.
I am also a field(supervisor) earning 40k monthly. Imagine a graduate earning 40k with almost 12hrs work daily.
If you are in South West I bet you 2 million naira is enough to change your life within a short time.
Our bosses usually feel as if we can't do without them.
Good luck bro.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by qtguru(m): 5:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Thanks brother. I appreciate everything you wrote. Blowing the money and still not finding anything better is why I'm scared. Concerning the upwork hustle, could you link me up, can I private chat you ?

Sure feel free, hit me on PM
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2022
anzaku47:

First I want to sympathize with you.
You earn 120k monthly which is a bit manageable since you are still single.
I studied Agricultural related course and I tell you field staff are always choked up with much work.
That your 2 million naira is fine to start up your career as a farmer.
Please move out of that place ASAP.
I am also a field(supervisor) earning 40k monthly. Imagine a graduate earning 40k with almost 12hrs work daily.
If you are in South West I bet you 2 million naira is enough to change your life within a short time.
Our bosses usually feel as if we can't do without them.
Good luck bro.

Thanks boss. Although my passion is not in agriculture, I know I can do fairly well if I invest in agriculture but my sentiment and why I can't delve into it with the 2m is:

1. Risk 1:: kidnapping is the order of the day, especially farmers in secluded location. I survived kidnapping and luckily escaped being shot at too, twice within the last 3 months. So I know first hand.

2. Risk 2::. As it is now, agriculture is more volatile than crypto and forex now. With two million you can do 1k broiler this month and two months after you might need 2.5 million for you to the same 1k broiler. So if you don't have ready made fund. Agriculture is not for the feeble minds.

3. Risk 3: the unknown. Bad spp of birds, bad hstchery, disease outbreak etc. Leading to unnecessary cost and profit loss.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
qtguru:

Sure feel free, hit me on PM

Done boss
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Goldbw122(m): 6:07pm On Mar 14, 2022
Be grateful for life ... Ok that is all I can say
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Fadafada231(m): 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
seanwilliam:
how come you worth 500k$ when you had just 2m last year nov and you even got deported.. ? Pls interested

Hahaha u re a good detector, I'm wondering too
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by nwajesus12(m): 6:26pm On Mar 14, 2022
Loewe:

Just to correct the above- there are people in their 40s who changed careers successfully. You haven't passed your career prime, don't be fooled. 30 is still very much young.
Jack Ma for example started Alibaba groups at 35, Jeff bezos too
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by MartinsD12(m): 6:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

You are earning 120k and still an ungrateful human being where as there are some married men that are not even seeing up to 50k already in these present Nigeria
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by nkemjacob2(m): 6:32pm On Mar 14, 2022
I'm 31 I have not even save up to 100, 000 u and I which is worse
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by TheCrusader14: 6:37pm On Mar 14, 2022
You're not a realistic person. Do you think it's eqsy working 12 hours a day? What time is going to use to start other ventures when it is almost certain he's already burned out by the time he closes at his place of work. Whole 12 hours out of 24.

Let's ask some questions;

Is he living in the same premises that he works?

If not what's the commute time?

I knew how burned out, frustrated I always felt when I was working with an Indian company. 8:30 to 6:00 Monday to Friday and 8:30 to 3 every Saturday. Even though I was making more money but was always aggressive due to fatigue, burn out then was when I came to understand the concept of work/life balance is very important.

Michealupdate43:
Those that have cap do not have heads, those that have heads do not have caps( irony of life,).

How can you can 2milion in this economy small.
You say you work 12 hours a day, meaning you still have a few hours in the day to work on starting up something for yourself.

Stop feeling sorry and get started with something already, 30 years is not the end of life.

Be greateful my friend, it all starts from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtL78qBaiFI

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 6:38pm On Mar 14, 2022
MartinsD12:

You are earning 120k and still an ungrateful human being where as there are some married men that are not even seeing up to 50k already in these present Nigeria

And some are earning 5million. It's not the money bro. If it were, dangote will not be wanting more.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by UEDIBO: 6:46pm On Mar 14, 2022
I love IT
Please put me through
rocknation62:

Bro you’re not too young to start new career most especially IT, which I myself is also considering don’t forget the world is going digital.

Erase the word impossibility in your dictionary & don’t hesitate to start as soon as possible

I wish you best of luck.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by GGirll: 6:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
Pls my sincere advise that you staying d job for another one year, save up and continue that your small business. Save up and after work hours you can decide to buy a car and do Uber or blot after d 12 hours. I think it might help.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by MartinsD12(m): 6:50pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

And some are earning 5million. It's not the money bro. If it were, dangote will not be wanting more.
He should be grateful all hands are not equal saying he is too old at 30 is a joke
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2022
BusinessDream:

Yes, take the leap bro. 30? A 55 year old woman recently learned to coding.. even people in their 60s are going back to school. What matter most if your focus and dedication because there 20somethings that can't achieve anything.

Start learning with youtube... and give yourself 2-3 years and you will be good at coding.

Most Telecom orgs now offer FREE youtube data. MTN starts at 11pm to 5am. Just dedicate 1 hour every night to practice while learning.

I used it to learn graphics design at night before I sleep and this is what I designed. After one month, I designed the attached

The best and fastest way to learn is by taking up a project and trying your hands on it. I learned this hack here on nairaland and it helped me master graphics design faster.

I will move to UX ( I learned graphics design to help me master UX design faster) after that and then I will learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript...

It can be done bro... believe me.

Thanks bro. What programme did you design this with?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Phyde: 7:05pm On Mar 14, 2022
BusinessDream:
You should see it bro. I think it is all tariff that gets it. A lot of people have it but they are not using it and it is just wasting away. Check your phone when u sub data... if you don't see it, let me know.
Can we download youtube videos with it within that time frame of 11pm - 6am.
The data is just wasting.
I need to download some binary option trading videos.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Sunny2034: 7:10pm On Mar 14, 2022
Stay on the job as long as you can bear it while looking for a better role - apply in the evenings and on weekends. Try UNjobs in Nigeria. They are always looking for graduates with backgrounds in Agric. Don't leave the job without having an alternative because your savings will quickly disappear on living costs.

If you're good with computers, learn coding. In 6 months you can be skilled enough to get freelance gigs
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Buje1987(m): 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
My man you are you own problem, no matter how much you save, its still won't be enough for your life and future, sometimes life is not really about how much you save, its about how much you are ready to face life....... i was once a business owner, i thought my business could sustain me to any length, because my income at the end of the month sometimes is more 50k....... but during the covid19 pandemic, everything crash up,............... i picked up myself, and applied for a job where i am currently earning less than 50k monthly and am married with a kid................. I pay house rent and feed my family with this few money....

How am i surviving? i don't f$cking know.....

May God help you bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rosemary Amposah, A Female Welder, Tells Her Story / Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / Groundnut Hawker Wearing Suit And Tie (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.