Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50299 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by criuze(m): 3:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
My man you are you own problem, no matter how much you save, its still won't be enough for your life and future, sometimes life is not really about how much you save, its about how much you are ready to face life....... i was once a business owner, i thought my business could sustain me to any length, because my income at the end of the month sometimes is more 50k....... but during the covid19 pandemic, everything crash up,............... i picked up myself, and applied for a job where i am currently earning less than 50k monthly and am married with a kid................. I pay house rent and feed my family with this few money....

How am i surviving? i don't f$cking know.....

I love you my guy
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by ocelot2006(m): 3:57pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.

You are still very young and you can definitely make a switch to tech. Don't be so hard on yourself. People are even making that switch at 40+. I suggest you draw up an action plan for yourself. Determine what intend to do in the tech field and how you intend to achieve it. Then INVEST in yourself (online courses, ebooks, etc). It will take a considerable sacrifice, but you will be fine.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by prettyboi1(m): 3:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

I'd be honest with you, as much as you don't think so much of yourself at this moment, I personally admire you simply because of how you're feeling now. It takes an ambitious person to feel the way you're feeling now & so I would like to encourage you to not see yourself as little. Time is all you need & sooner than later, you would achieve bigger things if you keep up with doing your own part. Blessings to you man.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by ocelot2006(m): 3:59pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
My man you are you own problem, no matter how much you save, its still won't be enough for your life and future, sometimes life is not really about how much you save, its about how much you are ready to face life....... i was once a business owner, i thought my business could sustain me to any length, because my income at the end of the month sometimes is more 50k....... but during the covid19 pandemic, everything crash up,............... i picked up myself, and applied for a job where i am currently earning less than 50k monthly and am married with a kid................. I pay house rent and feed my family with this few money....

I doff my hat to you. Your future is bright. Respect.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by niyiforeal(m): 4:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 4:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ken4ward:
I’ll share a bit of myself. I had a career in arts (POP and sculptural work) at the age of 29. I was so sure I’m not fulfilled, and based on my future goal I was so sure I won’t achieve my plans being in that career.

So I sat myself, and draft out what exactly I want as a career. Future decisions shouldn’t be made by instincts, you need prayers. God instructed me to go study an IT course. My final pick was in the IT (Software Development). So, I went to NIIT. After that, my first job was to manage a computer center, and I was paid N100 per day.

So far, my career in the IT has brought great transformation to my life and spans about 13 years. I presently work with a company in Europe, the company fully sponsored my relocation. But there are several things I sacrificed. So it’s all about what’s more important to you. It’s either to suffer the pain of discipline now and switch your career to have the future you want or suffer the pain of regret in the future. The ball is in your court.

Thank you so very much, this is encouraging . Id appreciate if you can sort of guide me in this journey. Can I pm you, to maybe talk more ?

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Judybash93(m): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
Smart men don't marry
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Machidon: 4:13pm On Mar 14, 2022
Someone that earn 50k,is it possible for the person to start a family in Abuja.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by charlesdinho7(m): 4:14pm On Mar 14, 2022
we have a lot of ungrateful people on earth. you have a good paying job and you are still complaining. i will be 30 this year, no wife, no job, just me and my degree hoping for God to help me with a good job. be happy and prayerful with what you have
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by magabounce(m): 4:14pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:

Omoh!!!!!
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by baba4thegehs: 4:14pm On Mar 14, 2022
At 28 I was clueless, depressed worked at a job I hated so much and was ready to take a pay cut to leave ...

I picked myself up and started learning a skill, spent hours on that new career path got my first paying job after 6 months about 200k

I think My life started at 29. I worked so hard to get really good at the skills then resigned got another job that pays 500k. Then got another that pays over 700k. Living my best life now.

Life has no rule book, you just have to be daring and be ready to take chances at whatever opportunity you have

All the best fam. If you want to get into tech, be ready to work 100x harder to get really good at your choosing career path.

3 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by airsaylongcome: 4:15pm On Mar 14, 2022
FuckDModz:
It’s not too late to transition to tech. At 30, you're still young for a lot of tech positions.

Tech is not just programming, even if you want to learn to program now, it's not too late. Don't be fooled by 14-year-olds making noise on Twitter.

There's a massive demand for product designers and managers, and most companies prefer older candidates for those roles.

My advice to you, learn basic programming concepts, then focus on product design if it's your thing or product management.

Alternatively, move to lekki and marry a tech bro.

If programming is too involving they can go into Data Analytics
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by MouthofdGods: 4:15pm On Mar 14, 2022
Saved that much from the salary you just quoted...you're for keeps.
At 30, yes you can have a career change. Not too late.
Wish you all the best
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 4:16pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:

There is something seriously wrong with you.

Boss, the key word there is "prime" which I may have misused. What I meant was, age 20-25 would have been the best time. At 20-25 I had no responsibility or much of societal pressure to fulfil. But at 30, I ve got siblings, have got aged parents, have got other obligations.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Fadafada231(m): 4:19pm On Mar 14, 2022
rocknation62:

Bro you’re not too young to start new career most especially IT, which I myself is also considering don’t forget the world is going digital.

Erase the word impossibility in your dictionary & don’t hesitate to start as soon as possible

I wish you best of luck.

Guy pls what's the most lucrative IT to learn in this Nigeria, abeg tip me info.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Prettychild(f): 4:20pm On Mar 14, 2022
It’s well, please where is the place so that I can tell someone to apply. Thank you
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by osato45: 4:20pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

guy go write gre and toefel and seek for msc full funding in us or canada
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by gforce5: 4:24pm On Mar 14, 2022
Unbelievable. The OP suffers from low self-esteem and lack of exposure. OP, do you know that 30 is the prime of a man's life? Do you know that people in their 50s are changing jobs? This happens all the time. Slyvester Stallone, Al Pacino, Jason Statham and Roberto De Niro did not become famous until they were in their 30s. The founder of KFC was in his 50s when he founded the company. Walt Disney was in his 50s when he founded the company. A lot of corporate juggernauts are changing jobs well into their 60s since the beginning of the pandemic. You need to sort out your self-esteem and gain exposure by utilizing the internet to develop yourself.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Chuksy12(m): 4:31pm On Mar 14, 2022
You should think of leaving the country..2 million can take you out of Nigeria
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Kobicove(m): 4:33pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Lols, how people reason this way eludes me. TRY TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND. the whole world is not out to get you. I'm trying to make a career change and somehow you think someone will invest in my career change, or in a business I said I don't like?

You came here to ask for opinions on career change then suddenly veered off and started giving out details about how much money you have saved...how does that information even concern us?

In my experience once people start volunteering private information about their finances in a public forum it's usually because they want to use it as bait
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Atticusxsz(m): 4:33pm On Mar 14, 2022
prophetic69:
At least your own better you get job...most graduate dey over 30yrs no job talk more of savings and settling down....baba get your priorities right joe.

You don describe me finish o. I'm even older with a year plus and it's been 4 years without a job and i can't boast of 50k to my name and guy man dey here dey lament even with him having a stable job on his laps. Baba, just dey thank God on a steady.

That aside, you aren't old to transit into the tech world as a career part at 30 years.
Do your research and you'll understand. Shalom!
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Ambber(f): 4:34pm On Mar 14, 2022
You are super young at 30 honey to change your career and pursue new goals. People are constantly reinventing themselves in their 40s, 50s and older. It’s never late to do anything if you are still breathing
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 14, 2022
For your tech career, it's never too late. As for your current job, if you've saved enough to start your own business, do it afraid as you can never be ready, and your unhappiness can only linger if you can't do anything about it. Cheers.

Disclaimer: this is not advice. You’re, however, liable for whatever decision you take.

Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Cognitivereason: 4:36pm On Mar 14, 2022
Anon4:
Which gender are u?
Regardlessly, consider donating your part of your salaries to charities or non-profit orgs. That might solve your happiness problem. sad

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by mentored: 4:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Save up more. Another 2M and have leaving Nigeria in mind

If it enters your heart

You will be closer to the airport

You never know

For your work

Until you get something better, still dey manage, if not you can’t save ni ooo
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Slimdaddy27(m): 4:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
I am same age (30) with you bro though I studied mass communication at a polytechnic in delta state.

Loosing a substantial job of 80k that I thought was something before the pandemic (only worked for 2 months) then the pandemic came,now I haven't been able to get a job of 30k( I don't have nothing in my account balance) why am I saying this...bro you have 2 million naira (don't put ur mind there while u plane on the tech path).. thing's are difficult in this country,if you ask most people no one is happy at what they do not to talk of us who don't have anything

You are not old enough to change carrier path.. just keep pushing

I keep fighting and hoping to get something at my age ( I wanna learn ,do other things but it all requires money)

Gos help us

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Ishilove: 4:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Boss, the key word there is "prime" which I may have misused. What I meant was, age 20-25 would have been the best time. At 20-25 I had no responsibility or much of societal pressure to fulfil. But at 30, I ve got siblings, have got aged parents, have got other obligations.
At 20-25, you had siblings and parents as well.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Olumaeme: 4:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
You are old at 30? LOL

I will tell you for free, in Nigeria, thats when real life starts.

If you are passionate about the programming stuff, please go for it.

Funny enough, if you dedicate 1hr daily to this, you will be amazed by how much you will achieve.

Join groups online, facebook, follow programmers on twitter, read about programming on the internet and you will see how algorithm will be pushing them along your way online.

That was the strategy i adopted when i wanted to switch to Procurement and Logistics and it worked.

Dont Worry, JUST START!

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
1. I would be 36 yrs next month and am not marriage i do not even have a gf

2. I have a 7am to 4pm job that's pays me well

3. I owe a logistics business and i make artificial teeth for dentist in Nigeria

My take is this do whats you love there is nothing bad in having multiple source of income then quit your 12 hours jobs.

quote author=Betterprospect post=111023103]Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

Now my dilemma is:

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.[/quote]
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by SomehowBROWN(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
Just know your case is better than most, find joy in other things and strive for progress, it's never to late for anything. I'm typing this as a message to myself as well
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by abdulwassi(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2022
You should be grateful that you have a life and a job.
Most of us here only got life n living day by day by what it gives.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rosemary Amposah, A Female Welder, Tells Her Story / Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / Groundnut Hawker Wearing Suit And Tie (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.