Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering (10348 Views)

Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? / Mechanical Engineering Or Geophysics / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Electrochemistry(m): 3:00pm On Mar 21, 2022
Choose telcom. if you don't want competition.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by zedegit: 3:01pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:
Good day great Nairalanders,
Please I need your advice on this.

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;
I. Solar PV Engineering, and
II. BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

Which of these two do you think I should go for and why?
Which do you think can help me get a job easily?
And which sector do you think pays better?

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.

Some people are cashing out big in solar now and you're still talking future opportunities in it.

Please enter solar. You can be your own boss while the other one makes you dependent.

Besides follow your interest in solar which is motivation in itself.

Congratulations in advance.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by investigator007: 3:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
Personally I'll say solar o, power is needed a lot, even in the telecom sector.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by nini007(m): 3:07pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.
Deep inside of you, you know you are both. Pretend to be both, major on one and the sky wont even be your limit.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:08pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nice thread

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by aikyg(m): 3:11pm On Mar 21, 2022
Please go with Telecoms. The career prospects is higher. Every Tom, Dick and harry is doing solar these days, so I won't advice to do that.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by AbuAeesha: 3:15pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

you should know that to be employed as a BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms) it is either you work for huawei most likely as they are in charge of all Airtel & MTN sites in Nigeria or etisalat and some GLO projects either way you must have certain field experience.
best of luck

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ednut1(m): 3:15pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111232804:

Why can't you guys just keep silent and let people that have the answers to the OP's question answer him?

This is what you can never find on other forums abroad.

Good thread.
In some other forums abroad like quora etc, you will only see people that the topic of discussion concerns making comments on the topic, commenting and giving their views and opinions,
But for our darling nation, na people wey no know anything about the topic of discussion go dey comment upanda, disturbing the cyberspace with irrelevant rubbish that the 'main' people won't have any space to make their reasonable contributions....

People keep silent and learn from the engineers involved..but for our ogbonge nairaland.com, you people can't resist commenting rubbish.
Na wa for una o.
Engineers in the building, come help out this brother please.

We Rise.
frustrated buhari ass licker i see they have stopped paying u

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ubee(m): 3:19pm On Mar 21, 2022
You asked three questions at the end.
I will answer the second and third question respectively.

* Answer = Telecoms will get you a job much easier because it is obviously very huge and one of the most vibrant and lucrative industries in the country.

* Answer = Of course Telecoms will pay you better.
Look the truth about renewable energy in Nigeria is That we have basically not started anything even remotely tangible in That sector.
There is no road map, awareness or substantial allocation that the government has provided to take off the sector.
So for now it's a future potential. ,,,
VoltageDivida:

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:25pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Ask yourself, which one will help you create a job for yourself, if per adventure you're unable to secure a job? The answer I think, is what should guide your decision.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by martinsaba: 3:28pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Go for BTS, later you can for Solar, although telecom infrastructure sector in Nigeria is such a difficult terrain to work, maybe you will think about going further in R & D Outside Nigeria.

Speaking from experience as a TE.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by NLPoliceWoman: 3:30pm On Mar 21, 2022
ednut1:
frustrated buhari ass licker i see they have stopped paying u
Seun Mynd44 Justwise Dominique Mukina2.
Rule 8.
Rule 2.
Rule 1.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Abeg where you wan learn this 2?i am interested in learning them both too….no knowledge is lost…please share the name
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by DAMILAREY85: 3:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
Good Day brother. Am really impressed with the quality of intensive training you in put in yourself for employability and entrepreneurship.
Let me talk to you a practicing ELECTRICAL ENGINEER though am into POWER SYSTEM which is my core STRENGTH where my weakness is TELECOMS which is your own strength.
Firstly one thing you must know is that every aspect of ELECTRICAL ENGINEER VIZ:
POWER SYSTEM
TELECOM
RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEM, gives you employability and entrepreneurship opportunities because they skilled Job.
How ever based on your request for advice in choosing a life skill opportunity, I will advise that you start with your core STRENGTH WHICH IS TELECOM. get trainings and employable skill in TELECOMS with the associated branches as the case may be.
Get the necessary trainings in TELECOMS FIRST and make yourself employable.
When you are saturated with TELECOMS and you are sure of yourself with the right skills you can then go for further trainings in RENEWABLE ENERGY which also serve as added skill in your CAREER.
Although the RENEWABLE ENERGY SECTOR is an EMERGING INDUSTRY Which is going to take the transition from the current POWER SYSTEM.
so in summary, go for your training in TELECOMS FIRST make yourself employable and gather money to do further trainings in RENEWABLE ENERGY.
Hope you find this in order.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Otuegbe: 3:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
AbuAeesha:

you should know that to be employed as a BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms) it is either you work for huawei most likely as they are in charge of all Airtel & MTN sites in Nigeria or etisalat and some GLO projects either way you must have certain field experience.
best of luck

even Glo, Huawei is still in charge.
If you want to enter Telecom as either noc or FSE. Just look for one Fme attach for some months

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by DAMILAREY85: 3:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
martinsaba:

Go for BTS, later you can for Solar, although telecom infrastructure sector in Nigeria is such a difficult terrain to work, maybe you will think about going further in R&grin Outside Nigeria.

Speaking from experience as a TE.

Good one bro. My greatest advice for anyone who want to study TE Right now is to find their way out of this shit hole country because studying Telecom here is a mere waste of time and resources. Where one lecturer will teaching the same syllabus he was taught in 1827 where there are emerging technologies every day in other parts of the world.
However, in his own case I will advise he take up his desired training.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by shegun4sur: 4:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
kennynelcon:
These two can be capital intensive, FM on the long run might get you a spot in as a Network Optimization Engineer, can you ever run random optimization without an operator ?
I would assume you(plan) working with IPT PowerTech or IHS grin

Else you want to publish paper smiley

You can consider Cloud Engineering Certifications or Some other Software Engineering disciplines, here you can easily up scale, earn better and easily get roles.
In short you don't even need a cert to get into Telecom in Nigeria grin

But in all, I will recommend you ask your Creator to direct your path.

Or Huawei

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Llight101(m): 4:08pm On Mar 21, 2022
Telecom is sweet but If you're a lazy type it'll be hell for you...you'll be called 24hrs a day.
If you're retained, I'll advice you to go for it.
Solar is promising as well. You can easily be your own boss.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Testimony1988(m): 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2022
Go for the former, it's one of the newest method of power generation, and one can be self employed after the programme.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Asj001: 4:48pm On Mar 21, 2022
I am also an Electrical engineer but will quickly highlight some few things.

1. Both fields are narrow but Solar engineering is even more narrow. That means if you want to do paid employment, your choices are limited

2. Telecommunications is closer to IT. Think of Computer Networking, Data centers, 5G, and Wireless. These are all areas you can find yourself and excel. You can also expect to work with top foriegn companies if you are doing fine.

3. Nigeria factor (Telecom industry is about 10% of the economy. �). It already has a huge market that you can take advantage of.

However, after all being said, I will advise you to go for Solar engineering if it's really your passion.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by sow4me(m): 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
AbuAeesha:

best of luck

About the field experience you talked about, how can he go about it please?

I'd like having an idea as i am on to making a career decision myself.
Thanks boss.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by terrymason(m): 5:08pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Make I drop small wisdom. Lol...

I'm typing from Experience. Every word I will be dropping here are my experience.

Before I move on, I don't know jack about telecom... the only thing I know about them is the mask and office... away from that.

Solar...

I'm a solar installer... Started from the bottom, but still climbing to the top. The amount use in learning that skill was 30k... chai! I mean #30,000.

I did pay the training fee for myself, after school, no work talkless of Job (Job ni pay pass... lol)

Started following my Boss (Oga) to install for some client, did massive installation of 200kva, 15kva and lesser ones. Truth be told it took me less time to catch up.

Solar installation is not that hard. Maybe for commercial purpose it might be hard, but for residential is not that hard.

If you really want to learn installation
1. Know series and Parallel connection
2. Cable ratings
3. System configuration
4. Load rating
5. Safety majors ( make fire nor burn your client house)

How to learn Solar installation cheap (Applicable to other skill)

1. Go to any good installer office
2. Tell him/her that you want to help them on site for free to carry panels (Free intern)
3. Shine your eyes when installation goes on
4. Fall inlove with youtube videos on installation (I learnt aloy there)
5. Go skillshare/com and take a course on solar installation (alot is taught there)
Bs: Find youtube video how to down skillshare video for free (You will be amaze)
6. Follow the DIY on nairaland for installation

Note: Solar installation for people is capital intensive, getting client is hard... but one client can bring in the next one. Be careful not to damage anything during installation, those things cause millions.

Ps: Get side hustle ( I'm also a video editor on upwork) make hunger nor kill you before the next installation.

Do advert mostly on billboard in your state and radio advert.

Watin I dey miss again

For your installation in South South
Book me [url]Boltpowerenergy.net[/url]

OP send me mail for free Solar Video
OP Only.

Modify: Renewable Energy is the future, be among the first to tap in... don't just follow money... I see people talking about Renewable energy as being new. You tend to become rich quicker when you are among the few that know it.

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by sow4me(m): 5:08pm On Mar 21, 2022
ubee:
You asked three questions at the end.
I will answer the second and third question respectively.

* Answer = Telecoms will get you a job much easier because it is obviously very huge and one of the most vibrant and lucrative industries in the country.

* Answer = Of course Telecoms will pay you better.i
Look the truth about renewable energy in Nigeria is That we have basically not started anything even remotely tangible in That sector.
There is no road map, awareness or substantial allocation that the government has provided to take off the sector.
So for now it's a future potential. ,,,

You seriously got that part right boss.
Renewable energy hasn't gotten part of the spotlight yet.

I want to ask a question though.

As a young man, how can i go into the telecoms field pls?
I don't have any experience yet but very good in electrical works.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by oscarlamba: 5:16pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

I would love to do that but finance is a major constraint. Each costs over a 150k.
pls where do u intend to learn BTS/BSS?
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by kenazuu(m): 5:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
[quote

I will recommend you go for solar. The reason is that you can establish yourself and get out of labour market and become employer. Telecom is also good but considering today Nigeria, you need job that can fetch you money starting little.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by saintbillion(m): 5:33pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111232804:

Why can't you guys just keep silent and let people that have the answers to the OP's question answer him?

Good thread.
In some other forums abroad like quora etc, you will only see people that the topic of discussion concerns making comments on the topic, commenting and giving their views and opinions,
But for our darling nation, na people wey no know anything about the topic of discussion go dey comment upanda, disturbing the cyberspace with irrelevant rubbish that the 'main' people won't have any space to make their reasonable contributions....

People keep silent and learn from the engineers involved..but for our ogbonge nairaland.com, you people can't resist commenting rubbish.
Na wa for una o.

We Rise.
for your mind u done talk. So agriculture no be better thing?
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by 1853rr: 5:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111232804:

Good thread.

Na wa for una o.

We Rise.

What's The Most Polite Way To Ask For The Payment Of Your Salary? / Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. / Nigerian Army 75RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2016/2017

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86