Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering (10345 Views)

Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? / Mechanical Engineering Or Geophysics / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by 1853re: 5:48pm On Mar 21, 2022
[s]
post=111233215:
Nice thread
[/s]
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by nogames: 5:50pm On Mar 21, 2022
Go for solar training, no private individual/Company can train U BTS/BSS Engineering they are lying , you need live equipments, and beside those equipments are very expensive.. Thank God u are still on field talk to the active Engineer in your cluster he can be of help. If he decline to help, I'm an active Engineer as well, contact me. You can only learn telecom through OJT (On Job Training)

2 Likes

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Professorcplus(m): 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

I would love to do that but finance is a major constraint. Each costs over a 150k.
I hope is not those marketers in suit hustling for clients then teach. They will just teach you theory for 6 Saturdays angry If you can't apply what you learn in school, forget that training.

Save your money and go and enroll with Alaba boys to teach you buying and selling of electronics. They no more about market structures and client.

Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by cotzywitzy(m): 5:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

I would love to do that but finance is a major constraint. Each costs over a 150k.

Is the program online Kindly drop more information. Why not run both Chief
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ictplotter(m): 6:43pm On Mar 21, 2022
You want to learn telecom engineering in Nigeria? i laugh u in Russia language. It seem u want to throw away your money into the thin air.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by nogames: 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2022
nogames:
Go for solar training, no private individual/Company can train U BTS/BSS Engineering they are lying , you need live equipments, and beside those equipments are very expensive.. Thank God u are still on field talk to the active Engineer in your cluster he can be of help. If he decline to help, I'm an active Engineer as well, contact me. You can only learn telecom through OJT (On Job Training)
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by dayo23(f): 7:25pm On Mar 21, 2022
Am a Maintenance Engineer with a DISCO, I equally have a solar company doing installation for Gov Institution, offices, private Org, Residentials etc. I would seriously advice you go into Solar installation and complete electrical wiring. If you need onsite experience kindly Buzz me.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by bhassan20: 7:28pm On Mar 21, 2022
kennynelcon:
These two can be capital intensive, FM on the long run might get you a spot in as a Network Optimization Engineer, can you ever run random optimization without an operator ?
I would assume you(plan) working with IPT PowerTech or IHS grin

Else you want to publish paper smiley

You can consider Cloud Engineering Certifications or Some other Software Engineering disciplines, here you can easily up scale, earn better and easily get roles.
In short you don't even need a cert to get into Telecom in Nigeria grin

But in all, I will recommend you ask your Creator to direct your path.

He doesn't need a Cert? Kindly educate me on this sir/ma.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Bahamas95(m): 8:40pm On Mar 21, 2022
My neighbour is a solar installer....There was a day I got back from school and after few days I got bored at home and decided to accompany him to work. No knowledge is lost.

When we got there I saw a very long ladder resting on a two story building. The man pointed and said "we're going up there"....I asked him where, he repeated same thing. I just jejely stop bike wey carry me go back home.

There're three things I cannot do in this life.

I cannot kill myself.

I cannot go and kill myself.

I cannot come and go and kill myself.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Downey(f): 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Good evening sir, please l would to know where to learn Solar Engineering.

Can you please be of help on their contact?
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by ocelot2006(m): 9:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
Telecommunications Engineering any day, all day.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by osazsky(m): 10:01pm On Mar 21, 2022
Alusiizizi:

What is "solar engineering"?
me i nor understand o..me that did art know say u connect ur serial conection or parallel conection if one or more than one panels to ur charge controller..then to inverter then to batteries..so wat is d enginrering here..then do load separation..something u can learn in 2 days u don turn am to enginrering

Very soon we go get GOTV engineering

Nor go read book make u go find work for glo

People way nor even go sch na him dey do solar
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2022
VoltageDivida:
Good day great Nairalanders,
Please I need your advice on this.

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;
I. Solar PV Engineering, and
II. BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

Which of these two do you think I should go for and why?
Which do you think can help me get a job easily?
And which sector do you think pays better?

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.

So I created this thread in the morning before going to work. Checked severally even at work for replies but got none. I along the line forgot about the thread just to comeback on NL this night and saw the it made front page.

I am sincerely very grateful to everyone who shared their thoughts on the subject matter (your inputs will really be helpful as I make my final decision before the month ends), and even those who made jest of it, may you all be blessed.

To those who are asking questions, especially about where I intend to go for the trainings, I'll drop the answer here and hope you see it.

For the Solar training, I intend to do the training in an NESP affiliated training center. The training usually lasts for about three months and at the end of the training a COREN professional certification exam will be taken. If successful you get a certificate as a COREN Certified Solar PV Installer.
There are few training centers nationwide, and upon my research the cheapest charges about 150k.

For the telecom, as most commenters have already stated, it's not what one can learn in a classroom so it's best to attach to an FME and work with him/her on the field for some months. As I'm in the field, I get to meet different professionals on a regular basis. One person I spoke with told me he holds a training for newbies. What he does is, train you for two weeks in class and then attach you to a field Engineer for two months. According to him, he will try his best to get you employed in any of the the companies he is affiliated with, when the need an employee. He said the whole program will cost about 150k too.

If you need more details about any of these trainings please feel free to DM me. Benz4pimp sow4me oscarlamba cotzywitzy bhassan20 Downey
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by osazsky(m): 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2022
Downey:

Good evening sir, please l would to know where to learn Solar Engineering.

Can you please be of help on their contact?
so u wil pay 150k for something u can learn in 2 days

Watch videos on youtube and teach yourself.if i say make u come learn better wood engineering way u nor fit suffer for life again u go dey price 50 k for 3 years a
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by McTobe(m): 10:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
I believe by now you must have gotten some useful pieces of advice. If you finally decide for Telecom DM me I will send some materials I used for my training with Laplace Technology back then on Radio Network Planning and Optimization.(RNPO) free to you alone NB: I paid 120K for that training with the materials.

My Story: I don’t really have strength to type this night. I spent a little time on Telecom path before FG work came my way I will not say it’s not a rewarding path. My friends are still there even with Huawei doing well. But my own challenge then was that I was not getting work as a freelancer since Laplace didn’t retain me(they had some bad court cases going on then, it would have been a pleasure to work there. They have great guys like Morris, Etim et al). If it were now that my network is wider I am sure it wouldn’t have been a challenge. I am even looking up to getting back to Telecom field, I have started talking to my guys for passes. Summary is follow your heart but if you choose Telecom please consider RNPO over BSS(installation). RNPO will always get you jobs but it’s not always that you get installation job, I may be wrong though...All the best
VoltageDivida:
Good day great Nairalanders,

After years of searching for a job as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduate, I finally got an internship role in a telecoms company that is basically into power in telecoms.

Now, my internship is about coming to an end, and I'm not too sure of retainment (even if I'm retained, power isn't really my passion). So I'm looking for a training/certification that I can do that will enable me get a better job as soon as I'm done with the internship.

After some research and deep self examination, two programs in different sectors standout to me. They are;
I. Solar PV Engineering, and
II. BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)

I want to do the the solar training cos renewable energy has always been my passion from school days and I see it as an emerging industry that is going to hit big in the near future, hence I want to be part of it.

I choose the telecoms cos each time I see those equipments on site, they always arouse my curiosity. I want to know more about what they do and how to install and configure them. Also the telecommunications industry is huge, so I feel there are more jobs here.

Which of these two do you think I should go for and why?
Which do you think can help me get a job easily?
And which sector do you think pays better?

I will truly appreciate your advice as you help a poor brother beat unemployment and poverty.

1 Like

Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
osazsky:
me i nor understand o..me that did art know say u connect ur serial conection or parallel conection if one or more than one panels to ur charge controller..then to inverter then to batteries..so wat is d enginrering here..then do load separation..something u can learn in 2 days u don turn am to enginrering

Very soon we go get GOTV engineering

Nor go read book make u go find work for glo

People way nor even go sch na him dey do solar

osazsky:

Watch videos on youtube and teach yourself.if i say make u come learn better wood engineering way u nor fit suffer for life again u go dey price 50 k for 3 years a

Bro you replies dey crack up aswear. Tho you get point sha, about the series/parallel-charge controller-inverter/battery setup. But then you need to know that solar/renewable energy is far beyond that. People for no go dey do MSc for am if say e end there.
And e sure me say you see where I put COREN certification for that reply. You sabi wetin that one mean?
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by kennynelcon(m): 10:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
bhassan20:

He doesn't need a Cert? Kindly educate me on this sir/ma.

Worked in such capacity without a certificate, a lot never used certs for these roles.
You need experience then you can cop one or more certs from Huawei along the way.

If he decides to be a rigger (which I doubt), then he will need a safety cert some other trainings as well.
Huawei is good with such
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 11:14pm On Mar 21, 2022
McTobe:
I believe by now you must have gotten some useful pieces of advice. If you finally decide for Telecom DM me I will send some materials I used for my training with Laplace Technology back then on Radio Network Planning and Optimization.(RNPO) free to you alone NB: I paid 120K for that training with the materials.

My Story: I don’t really have strength to type this night. I spent a little time on Telecom path before FG work came my way I will not say it’s not a rewarding path. My friends are still there even with Huawei doing well. But my own challenge then was that I was not getting work as a freelancer since Laplace didn’t retain me(they had some bad court cases going on then, it would have been a pleasure to work there. They have great guys like Morris, Etim et al). If it were now that my network is wider I am sure it wouldn’t have been a challenge. I am even looking up to getting back to Telecom field, I have started talking to my guys for passes. Summary is follow your heart but if you choose Telecom please consider RNPO over BSS(installation). RNPO will always get you jobs but it’s not always that you get installation job, I may be wrong though...All the best

Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate your offer.
Will look into RNPO to get more facts about it.
Pls I would like to know if Laplace is still in the training business, heard about them sometime ago
Hope the FG job is worth the switch sir
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Aaay: 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
Solar
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by osazsky(m): 12:12am On Mar 22, 2022
VoltageDivida:

Bro you replies dey crack up aswear. Tho you get point sha, about the series/parallel-charge controller-inverter/battery setup. But then you need to know that solar/renewable energy is far beyond that. People for no go dey do MSc for am if say e end there.
And e sure me say you see where I put COREN certification for that reply. You sabi wetin that one mean?
coren is normal enginering exam na..prof exam..there is nothing there..i have friends who have coren ccna ccnp ..but cant connect gotv..papper is rubish in dis country..there is a qualified account in my office with ANAN certifification but doesnt know the 5 basic principles of accounting.download videos learn it yourself..i connected my solar myself from YouTube videos this is d 4th year no issues..dont waste your 150k..there is nothing like solar engineering..for benin everybody dey connect solar..oga relax
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by bhassan20: 12:18am On Mar 22, 2022
kennynelcon:

Worked in such capacity without a certificate, a lot never used certs for these roles.
You need experience then you can cop one or more certs from Huawei along the way.

If he decides to be a rigger (which I doubt), then he will need a safety cert some other trainings as well.
Huawei is good with such

Thanks sir/ma.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by McTobe(m): 12:52am On Mar 22, 2022
Unfortunately they are out of business (at least to the best of my knowledge). The FG work is good but after working for a private sector it will not be easy to fit in. If you are not careful your brain can go to sleep. The more reason I am looking to taking up something more challenging by the side. Already learnt some programming language and learning Cyber Security presently.
VoltageDivida:

Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate your offer.
Will look into RNPO to get more facts about it.
Pls I would like to know if Laplace is still in the training business, heard about them sometime ago
Hope the FG job is worth the switch sir
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by hslbroker2(m): 6:42am On Mar 22, 2022
In my own opinion the two are very relevant in our present world
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by AbuAeesha: 8:57am On Mar 22, 2022
sow4me:

About the field experience you talked about, how can he go about it please?

I'd like having an idea as i am on to making a career decision myself.
Thanks boss.
find out about telecom recruitment agencies around you,
they recruits the FMEs then supply them to Huawei sub-contractors when needed,hence,they(FMEs) will be working for huawei directly
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by StennyB(f): 9:48am On Mar 22, 2022
Telecoms can be frustrating in Nigeria but the pay is okay, provided your Nigerian superiors don't corner part of your pay.
Please avoid omnicon. They Sabi owe person angry
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Nobody: 8:13am On Mar 24, 2022
The funds can be used train as a Software Engineer. That is better than half-baked telecoms training except maybe you already have a few mentors on the telecoms industry.
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2022
dayo23:
Am a Maintenance Engineer with a DISCO, I equally have a solar company doing installation for Gov Institution, offices, private Org, Residentials etc. I would seriously advice you go into Solar installation and complete electrical wiring. If you need onsite experience kindly Buzz me.

Please I want to reach you. Sent you a message request for some days but no response.
Kindly let me know how I can communicate with you. Thanks
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by Crustofixso: 12:35am On Mar 25, 2022
osazsky:

What does it take to learn d wood engineering
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by VoltageDivida(m): 7:38am On Mar 28, 2022
nogames:

Good day sir, about the OJT, I will like to have a chat with you to get more info. Please check your email or reach me on whatsapp through
zero nine one three five seven five seven one seven four.
Thanks
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by onchurchill: 4:23pm On May 26, 2022
Where you can an one learn about Radio Network Planning and Optimization.
Can I private chat you to discuss more on this. I am very much interested in this.

nogames:
Re: Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering by onchurchill: 4:28pm On May 26, 2022
Where can one do training on BTS/BSS FM engineering (telecoms)?

VoltageDivida:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Business Analysis A Good Course Or Career To Venture Into As A Post Graduate. / What's The Most Polite Way To Ask For The Payment Of Your Salary? / Nigerian Army 75RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2016/2017

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.