Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,693 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (38793 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by sambass(m): 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2022
Bundle him back to Nigeria and see instant result.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2022
Oyiboman69:
its obvious you choose to ignore where I used the word positive....
What positive? You didn't directly tackle the question that was asked leaving me to mine your response for a response. undecided
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Goldie16(f): 6:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Any advice would be welcome from parents out there.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Icepresh(m): 6:46pm On Mar 26, 2022
God forbid
God forbid
He might have one of all these Oyinbo men diseases. Go and check
HDAD or what the call it
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Exceed15: 6:50pm On Mar 26, 2022
There is nothing wrong with your boy . Infact I like him. Thank God you have an active child. Is all about monitoring and control.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Igbofam: 6:51pm On Mar 26, 2022
aribisala0:

Empty bluff. Your words are clear and your spin is pathetic
Why would somebody who has not been diagnosed with ADHD be having a DNA test to determine which medication would work? Is that the first thing?

At any rate that is an unproven procedure , not licensed anywhere.
Even if genetics play a role in autism that is not proven and not the only likely cause. Infection or medication in pregnancy or early infancy may play a role. No one knows.

How widespread is this procedure you are touting as the first course of action?
Simple truth is that there is no indication for DNA testing in this case .
If you read something somewhere that is out of your depth do not present yourself as an expert

Chai if nobody has ever told you before allow me to be the first. You are customized Dvnce!

Where in my comment did I remotely indicate that a DNA test for safe medication application is the first course of detection or treatment for ADHD?

You need to refund any school fees your parents ever spent for real.

The procedure of medication for any ADHD diagnosed patient obviously comes after the diagnoses for ADHD has been done. Or are you self medicating? My comment explicitly talks about medication and not ADHD diagnosis but of course some retærds are suffering from some kind of mental block which prevents them from understanding whatever they read.

Ogbeni shift and stop clogging up my space with this your obtuse mental state
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by crazybee069(m): 6:58pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Sir your son might actually be autistic and i say this because of his reaction to the flickering lights.. Then his propensity to solve equations is another indication
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by munphildusky: 6:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Yes thank you very much again for your mature opinion. The boy does look forward to his practice. I'm also considering enrolling him and his sister for swim classes as well. He plays with his trains at home and he likes building blocks as well. He has a ton of HotWheels cars and he's always asking me to buy him more. He is very good with his hands, that I know. I just want him to put that enthusiasm in his school work as well and stop being a nuisance in his class.

You can discuss with him to see the need for good behaviors in the classroom. Strike a deal with him to start behaving well and that he will get that thing he's been demanding from you.

As a teacher, I use this for my pupils. It's called positive reinforcement. I would always go out of my way to get whatever thing I promised if I start seeing the positive change as they promised.

Please, always spend quality time with these children. I know it might not be easy, but you have to find a way to spend quality time with them. I believe he's going to outgrow all these.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by abokikhalifa: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
All these ajebutter people self. Let him come and spend one month in your village here in Nigeria.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by JayPeeOham: 7:15pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Taking him for a test is not my problem. Their mother is against it. I cannot do that without her support. And the thought of moving to Nigeria was just a thought. We both have been chewing on that for a while now. Raising kids in this environment, particularly in today's US, is not as easy as you think. When I grew up in Nigeria, I had teachers who would flog the daylights out of you for misbehaving in class, and once you get home, you will get additional cane. I know how many times my dad broke cables on my back for misbehaving in school, and that is after I got punished by my teachers. Those beatings straightened me out and made me who I am today. Here, teachers cannot lay their hands on kids as they can be arrested for abusing the child. I've seen it play out several times and it is not pretty. Even the good ol' "ass whopping" families give their kids when they misbehave is frowned on as one nosy neighbor can call child services and report that you're abusing your kids.

Bro quit using your wife's approval as an excuse for not taking that child for treatment... Let me ask you.. Is your wife aware of this your Nairaland post?

Guy see ehn, e be like say that US dey affect guys from standing up to their responsibility as men sometimes o ...

My guy no offense o... I'm talking to you as a friend and brother.

Another quick question, are you saying if your wife never gives her approval that means you would keep watching your son grow into someone even you don't know? Come on man!!

Now here's what I feel you should do, have a serious conversation again with your wife about your son, tell her you plan to take him for treatment because that's the only way to find a quick solution to his problem or she can bring a better option if she thinks otherwise except there's something she isn't telling you though

Note: you're not doing it "behind her back" like you said because you already informed her about your decision rather you're taking a stand as a father and head of the home to save your son's life

In addition, see sometimes men need to take a stand for their family even when they might not see the good at that point but be sure that you know what you're doing. That's why men ought to be firm, visionary and have foresight!

Also, never underrate the power of a father's prayers to his children

I wish you and your family all the best bro .. Your son would be great.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 26, 2022
"The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids." This is a confirmation that nothing is wrong with your son.

Give him all the love, support and affirmation you can.
Apart from school, help him explore other fields that he can build on. Help him build his confidence by finding out what he loves and providing him with the tools/tutors so he learns more. Everything you wrote here tells me that your son is very creative and naturally gifted, and it is your responsibility to help him harness and build on his endless capabilities.

Pls teach him discipline in all the healthy ways you can, and try to make it fun too since it's obvious that he easily gets bored.

You could use rewards to motivate him to finish a task or acquire a new skill.

Besides, there are a lot of professional materials on parenting a son like yours on the internet. I hope you and your wife work this through. Cheers.

klassyguy:

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by nnenwa5: 7:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I came here for advice on how to tackle a problem, not for a lecture on whether I am doing a good job of raising my kids. I've raised my kids the best way I feel. Not everyone is perfect. Sometimes you need inputs of other parents. Most of the time, when I flog him, he behaves. His teacher has told me on several occasions he behaves after I "talk" to him, but it is not all the time one should spank a kid when he misbehaves. Training kids is not only achieved at home. They also have to learn and be corrected in school where their parents are not present, where teachers come in.

As for the test, if you read my initial post, I mentioned I AM OPEN TO TAKING HIM FOR AN ADHD TEST. It's my wife that's against it. I can't do that without her input and support. How would you feel if your spouse went behind your back to do something with your kids without your support and knowledge?

I will also advise you to watch out for what they eat; most ingredients on food labels are laced with stuff that can make people act abnormally. For instance, Red 40 is found in some colored foods. Another thing is he might be acting his age; going for counseling for a 6 years old might not have much effect because that's a child being a child. All the best, it's not easy here. You can also try online schooling.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by mixmastering: 7:26pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

oh!
You didn't know...?
Screen time is proportional to short attention span.

The more a child or an adult spends on the screen, be it phone, games, TV, internet, the more their attention span decreases.

So you can say, most parents are the cause of their children's woes.
They refuse the rod and spoil the child.

Proverbs 13:24
“He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.”

i urge you to return back to Biblical principles and shun the crowd.
It is your duty as a parent to enforce discipline in the lives of your kids so that they can turn out right.
Discipline is never too much.

Reduce PS5 to only weekends, and that has to be for two hours or less.
Teach them to play without tech.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by omosefeeguaibor(f): 7:32pm On Mar 26, 2022
Congratulations Op you're probably dealing with an ASd kid, however quite functional one or even a highly functional child, then you're looking at another Elyon Musk, any way I will strongly suggest you go test the kid as against what your wife thinks, because the moment you understand what you're dealing with the better for your family and also the wellbeing of the boy.

Now to clear the whole air of this spectrum, ASD is not a disease, it is simply put, a different way these individuals reason and its different and quite far above the normal, I am currently working with these wonderful individuals and up to date, I have never seen an unintelligent autistic individual, there's a way God has designed their �... they are good in any kind of field, they put their interests, ranging from innovation, science and mathematics, puzzles, arts and crafts e.t.c. to be honest, their I.q is far above normal. Go google history, and don't be surprised that the likes of Albert Eisteen are also part of this wonderful spectrum. Just harness whatever passion he is showing interest in, and use it to his advantage. And you will be glad you did.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by angelo5uk(m): 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2022
prophetfire:
. Very pathetic. That's the one reason why I have refused to join my older brother who advised me to come over to Canada. I can't watch my kids grow in a society where kids are raised without African discipline. African discipline helped me a lot in becoming responsible in life. I can't deny my kids such a good thing, especially as we are in a decaying world.
And how well has the so called African discipline helped Africa so far. Girls are becoming prostitutes and boys are becoming Yahoo boys at a faster rate. And these horrible things are starting to be considered a norm these days in Nigeria. With all our so called decipline, we are still the poverty capital of the world.
You people should stop dehumanizing the western way raising kids. No culture is perfect. I try to look for the best of both cultures and raise my kids accordingly and I consider them to be very lucky. They're so many good and bad sides in the African way of raising kids and so it is also in the western world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Bishop(m): 7:46pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Bring him to motherland for 6 months,if he doesn't change i will refund your flight ticket.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by alpontif(m): 7:46pm On Mar 26, 2022
Growing up, it was literally stated in my report card that I am "Brilliant, but restless"

It was adulthood that told me what I possibly had was hyperactivity disorder or attention deficit disorder.

There are medications and treatments that could have helped. I turned out okay though, but could have aced my academic life if I was able to calm down then. Now what I do is hack the issue with coffee, to be able to deliver on things I am working on.

Taje your Son for the ADHD test, whipping him or sending him to Naija is not the solution.

Kind Regards.

klassyguy:

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by oninfo: 7:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Please do all you can(convince your wife) now, when they are still very young whether its ADHD or not. Mine started at about that age, my smartness back in the days masked my symptoms. I wasn't diagnosed till late last year...when i turned 31.
Reason: ignorance
Effect: it wasted a lot of my years

Again, please don't relocate yet...take good care of them in a country where mental health's got good attention.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by yoged(m): 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
Send him to Nigeria.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by alphaNomega: 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy, find way dey knack that boy beta akpako him head go straight! I'm tired of seeing Nigerian complaining about difficult children growing up in the west.

Flog the living hell out of that boy.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by MuteMute(m): 8:15pm On Mar 26, 2022
Op no be Nigeria them born you am not Sure you be ajepako self

My Advice use the tatics he love and start giving him Christian movies which has behavior like his own and take charge of the Youtube super book cartoons

Or bring come Nigeria make them straight him head

Or sit am down ask what he loves and work is ass towards it technical jobs

May God help you
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by ravensckar(m): 8:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Reading your story from start to finish reminded me of my erstwhile Director's children. The similarities are striking! First and foremost, I think you've analyzed the problem correctly, however, you're finding it hard to swallow the bitter pill of accepting your own truth. I'll help you out;

1- Having a short attention span doesn't necessarily translate to ADHD, however, adding mischief to it is a sure pointer because it provides an escape from the things he doesn't want to focus on. I've seen this play out many times. But first, you have to be sure by carrying out a test. In the meantime, you can get a home tutor or engage his class teacher to help manage his hyper-active spirit by channeling his energy towards his academics. Whether you like it or not, it's his personality to be active. Changing it may tamper with his childhood development.

2- His disciplinary issue shouldn't be treated with a kids glove. He is still at the formative stage of his behavioural patterns, hence, it can still be nipped in the bud. How? Use the simple technique of treating poison with another poison. Instill discipline in him by any means possible (serious flogging, punishment and a little touch of madness). My daughter was once like that, she wouldn't do anything you instruct her. Even when the mother beats her, she still wouldn't bulge. I overcame that challenge with the technique above, now, she's as obedient as a good child should be. Me I no dey condone nonsense at all!

3- Introduce a system of reward system in your household. Do not buy him any expensive thing unless he merits it (by achieving something extraordinary). Gradually, it becomes registered in his brain that every good deed will be rewarded and every bad deed will be punished. It's called Reward & Punishment system in education. My daughter at her young age gets reward from me for completing her homework. I ask her class teacher & lesson teacher for weekly reports of her performance in class, I ask the mum for report on her assigned chores (cleaning the chair, rinsing the plates, arranging the shoes in the rack amongst others). Even in her school's extra curricular, I make sure I reward her for doing well in it. Aside material rewards, I ensure I praise her good deeds by telling her 'Well done' 'Good girl' 'Daddy's girl'. I have noticed overtime that these words & rewards motivates her to always be on her best behaviour.

4- You have to take charge of the situation yourself. Being a parent is a full time job, hence, let your children know that you're following their every move. You're getting reports on their behaviours at home, at school and in everything they do. If they know that you do a routine check on them, it will help curb some of their excesses. The believe that 'Daddy will find out' makes children think twice before undertaking some behaviours. Never a day have I slept without checking my child's homework or going through her communication book to see what the Teacher has written. Me wey body dey pepper on top the school fee wey I dey pay. cheesy cheesy

5- You and your wife also have to be on the same page; most times if their mother excuses their bad behaviour, the children will exploit that loophole to get away with several things. They may even form the habit of playing you both against each other. That was where my erstwhile Director's problem started with her kids. Their father always encourage their bad behaviour, while the mother beats the living daylight out of them. As a result, the children exploited that to the fullest until they were no longer afraid of them both. Parenting is a team work. Your children have to see it that both of their parents are always on the same page in terms of raising them.

6- Discipline; mild flogging, strenuous corporal punishment, denying them of something they love doing, giving them attitude when they do something wrong, pardoning them when they least expect (and even having a heart to heart chat with them), stoopping to their level by doing what they enjoy doing with them (watching their favourite cartoons with them, riding their bicycles with them or even sitting idly with them),etc. If you know how to alternate these things, it will create a bond between you and your children. They will love, respect and still fear you. Why? Because they cannot completely understand you. You've become an enigma to them. My wife still wonders why my daughter loves me so much despite how I beat her. cheesy cheesy It's a technique and one has to know how to apply it.

Do these and come back for testimony. May the Almighty God see you through.

PS- You do not need to bring them to Nigeria in order to discipline them most Nigerian children self are nothing to write home about. It's about the methods you adopt in raising them. Afterall, I was born and raised in Ajegunle too. But you see my father, he is a super dad in terms of parenting.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Annwrites: 8:25pm On Mar 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I can relate. undecided

You live with ADHD too?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kunja2: 8:26pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

wait, what's her reason for kicking against the ADHD test? Cos this is a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS sign of ADHD. Please Oga, take that boy for the test and don't mind your wife if her reason isn't making any sense.

She might be thinking you're thinking your child has mental issues but everybody has mental issues, no be only psychosis and schizophrenia be mental issue o
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Mar 26, 2022
Annwrites:
You live with ADHD too?
Yep! grin
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Very well done Sir, for even entertaining the idea that something might be off and asking for help.That takes great strength especially amongst we Africans who would rather pray over everything and thumb to “God Forbid”.

My £1 advice to you, would be listen to the messages some people on here have given you and forget about the blunt way it is presented which might come across as rude.

One thing i know for certain,is taking your child to Nigeria before a special needs assessment is a very poor move as options are limited when he gets there.

From the description and age of your son he meet the criteria for testing and most people on here have told you ADHD because you have said he is restless and easily distracted.

Unfortunately it could be ADHD or ASD as you say he can do complex mathematic problems and has such good memory but social skills are off.It could just be a number of other learning disabilities such as dsylexia/dysgraphia causing him to have avoidance.It could be attention seeking or it may be nothing and he is just an overactive child like so many in that age bracket.

Perhaps him having a structured routine of his day like a time table,would help and a trampoline which he can use to release all that energy since he isn’t quite enjoying football would be an additional help to him.

Have another talk with the Mrs and make her understand the child comes first then you both go online to sites such as childmind.org and see if he is exhibiting a higher percentage of what is being described.Then you both take the little man to a paediatrician who would refer him for a range of tests.The sooner you know the better.

Good luck in whatever decision you take and do.Please come back to let us know the outcome.May life be kind to us all.x.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nagasaki7: 8:30pm On Mar 26, 2022
Does your son display separation anxiety. I.e wants to always stay around you or his mom? Does he follow you or his mom around?
Has he restrictive feeding habit like specific food or nothing? Not wanting to eat.
Is he aggressive and throwing tantrums, self injurious when he didn't get what he wanted
Does he cry or laugh without obvious reasons.
Has his writing deteriorated from what it use to be?
Does he display obsessive like behaviours e.g specific clothes or colours?
Does panic whenever there is loud sound, bright light.
Does he understand facial expressions?
Does he play with other kids, share things with others, has friends?...
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by prophetfire: 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2022
angelo5uk:

And how well has the so called African discipline helped Africa so far. Girls are becoming prostitutes and boys are becoming Yahoo boys at a faster rate. And these horrible things are starting to be considered a norm these days in Nigeria. With all our so called decipline, we are still the poverty capital of the world.
You people should stop dehumanizing the western way raising kids. No culture is perfect. I try to look for the best of both cultures and raise my kids accordingly and I consider them to be very lucky. They're so many good and bad sides in the African way of raising kids and so it is also in the western world.
. I know but at least in Africa, you can discipline but over there, you can't. That's my point.
A situation where a parent that knows that his kid needs discipline to get it right, but can't enforce it can be frustrating.
I can't abdicate my responsibility towards my kids and can't watch them become wayward.
We have many African parents that due to poverty and ignorance, have abandoned their duties.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by madridsta007(m): 8:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

PS5 for a 6 year old?

You better go to Reddit or where White people congregate and ask for advice.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by aribisala0(m): 8:41pm On Mar 26, 2022
ravensckar:
Reading your story from start to finish reminded me of my erstwhile Director's children. The similarities are striking! First and foremost, I think you've analyzed the problem correctly, however, you're finding it hard to swallow the bitter pill of accepting your own truth. I'll help you out;

1- Having a short attention span doesn't necessarily translate to ADHD, however, adding mischief to it is a sure pointer because it provides an escape from the things he doesn't want to focus on. I've seen this play out many times. But first, you have to be sure by carrying out a test. In the meantime, you can get a home tutor or engage his class teacher to help manage his hyper-active spirit by channeling his energy towards his academics. Whether you like it or not, it's his personality to be active. Changing it may tamper with his childhood development.

2- His disciplinary issue shouldn't be treated with a kids glove. He is still at the formative stage of his behavioural patterns, hence, it can still be nipped in the bud. How? Use the simple technique of treating poison with another poison. Instill discipline in him by any means possible (serious flogging, punishment and a little touch of madness). My daughter was once like that, she wouldn't do anything you instruct her. Even when the mother beats her, she still wouldn't bulge. I overcame that challenge with the technique above, now, she's as obedient as a good child should be. Me I no dey condone nonsense at all!

3- Introduce a system of reward system in your household. Do not buy him any expensive thing unless he merits it (by achieving something extraordinary). Gradually, it becomes registered in his brain that every good deed will be rewarded and every bad deed will be punished. It's called Reward & Punishment system in education. My daughter at her young age gets reward from me for completing her homework. I ask her class teacher & lesson teacher for weekly reports of her performance in class, I ask the mum for report on her assigned chores (cleaning the chair, rinsing the plates, arranging the shoes in the rack amongst others). Even in her school's extra curricular, I make sure I reward her for doing well in it. Aside material rewards, I ensure I praise her good deeds by telling her 'Well done' 'Good girl' 'Daddy's girl'. I have noticed overtime that these words & rewards motivates her to always be on her best behaviour.

4- You have to take charge of the situation yourself. Being a parent is a full time job, hence, let your children know that you're following their every move. You're getting reports on their behaviours at home, at school and in everything they do. If they know that you do a routine check on them, it will help curb some of their excesses. The believe that 'Daddy will find out' makes children think twice before undertaking some behaviours. Never a day have I slept without checking my child's homework or going through her communication book to see what the Teacher has written. Me wey body dey pepper on top the school fee wey I dey pay. cheesy cheesy

5- You and your wife also have to be on the same page; most times if their mother excuses their bad behaviour, the children will exploit that loophole to get away with several things. They may even form the habit of playing you both against each other. That was where my erstwhile Director's problem started with her kids. Their father always encourage their bad behaviour, while the mother beats the living daylight out of them. As a result, the children exploited that to the fullest until they were no longer afraid of them both. Parenting is a team work. Your children have to see it that both of their parents are always on the same page in terms of raising them.

6- Discipline; mild flogging, strenuous corporal punishment, denying them of something they love doing, giving them attitude when they do something wrong, pardoning them when they least expect (and even having a heart to heart chat with them), stoopping to their level by doing what they enjoy doing with them (watching their favourite cartoons with them, riding their bicycles with them or even sitting idly with them),etc. If you know how to alternate these things, it will create a bond between you and your children. They will love, respect and still fear you. Why? Because they cannot completely understand you. You've become an enigma to them. My wife still wonders why my daughter loves me so much despite how I beat her. cheesy cheesy It's a technique and one has to know how to apply it.

PS- You do not need to bring them to Nigeria in order to discipline them most Nigerian children self are nothing to write home about. It's about the methods you adopt in raising them. Afterall, I was born and raised in Ajegunle too. But you see my father, he is a super dad in terms of parenting.
Serious flogging as you suggest in some countries will automatically result in the children being removed from you and your name recorded in a register . You would not be allowed to work with children and may even end up with a criminal record
That may work in Warri but not in the Western world

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ezedon:
Have you done DNA test?

I saw what you did
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
ravensckar:

This is a one page instruction on the quickest way to lose your child(ren) to Social service and/or land in Jail that i ever did see.
Corporal punishment is physical harm and no person needs to go through that sort of treatment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding / My Wife Told Me The Only Reason She's Still With Me Is Because Of Our 2 Kids / My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.