Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,677 members, 7,813,254 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (38792 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by delishpot: 4:47pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Any advice would be welcome from parents out there.

This is a common scenerio with kids nowadays. You are not alone as a large percentage of parents today will tell you the sane thing about their kids.
Take them to a psychologist for evaluation and guidelines on how to manage them. Bringing them to Nigeria wont help much if you dont know what direction to take anyways.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by dettolgel: 4:49pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I came here for advice on how to tackle a problem, not for a lecture on whether I am doing a good job of raising my kids. I've raised my kids the best way I feel. Not everyone is perfect. Sometimes you need inputs of other parents. Most of the time when I flog him, he behaves. His teacher has told me on several occasions he behaves after I "talk" to him, but it is not all the time one should spank a kid when he misbehaves. Training kids is not only achieved at home. They also have to learn and be corrected in school where their parents are not present, and that's where teachers come in.

As for the test, if you read my initial post, I clearly mentioned I AM OPEN TO TAKING HIM FOR AN ADHD TEST. It's my wife that's against it. I can't do that without her input and support. How would you feel if your spouse goes behind your back to do something with both your kids without your support and knowledge?

Op I understand how difficult it is when someone says we have to do more when we have given it our best.

Please for the fact that you came to seek advice means that you really do consider this important and needs to be sorted out now.

Please do not take it personal, I think kobojunkie has an interesting input in as much as he did not coat it the way you would have preferred.

Personally, I would have ticked off on some of his suggestions the ones you have tried and the ones you haven't you can ask for his opinion if you think that it won't work for you maybe given your present situation.

Ejoo be open minded and hear everyone out because if you go on the defense others might not speak freely and that is not want you need now. I agree that some will insult you or say things that is not applicable to your situation.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by prophetfire: 4:50pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Taking him for a test is not my problem. Their mother is against it. I cannot do that without her support. And the thought of moving to Nigeria was just a thought. We both have been chewing on that for a while now. Raising kids in this environment, particularly in today's US, is not as easy as you think. When I grew up in Nigeria, I had teachers who would flog the daylights out of you for misbehaving in class, and once you get home, you will get additional cane. I know how many times my dad broke cables on my back for misbehaving in school, and that is after I got punished by my teachers. Those beatings straightened me out and made me who I am today. Here, teachers cannot lay their hands on kids as they can be arrested for abusing the child. I've seen it play out several times and it is not pretty. Even the good ol' "ass whopping" families give their kids when they misbehave is frowned on as one nosy neighbor can call child services and report that you're abusing your kids.
. Very pathetic. That's the one reason why I have refused to join my older brother who advised me to come over to Canada. I can't watch my kids grow in a society where kids are raised without African discipline. African discipline helped me a lot in becoming responsible in life. I can't deny my kids such a good thing, especially as we are in a decaying world.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Igbofam: 4:52pm On Mar 26, 2022
aribisala0:

Anywhere anyone is talking rubbish you cannot be far.

What the hell is ADHD swab test
DNA test to analyse response to medication in the treatment of ADHD

This is not only untrue , it is pure fantasy.

When it comes to thinking and typing rubbish you are chief.

Unlike you my knowledge is very vast because I love reading up on practically everything.

Update your small mind with the attached in order to avoid looking stupid before your peers both present and in future

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Annwrites: 5:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

This has ADHD splattered all over it. "Yelling when the lights in the class started flickering," sounds like anxiety.

Your wife may have her misgivings about testing him for ADHD, but at present and in the long run, it is the best decision you will ever make for him. The earlier you understand where the problem lies, the earlier you can correct or manage it.

P.s: I'm not a parent. But I live with ADHD and late diagnosis, lack of parental support, no medication, affected me as a child and even into adulthood.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by aribisala0(m): 5:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
Igbofam:

Unlike you my knowledge is very vast because I love reading up on practically everything.

Update your small mind with the attached in order to avoid looking stupid before your peers both present and in future
Reading up and not understanding what you read is more dangerous than not reading at all
YOU CLAIMED that ADHD is diagnosed by a DNA swab test and that is used to influence treatment
The implication is that there is a DNA marker for ADHD Diagnosis. THIS IS WRONG
Simple question NAME ONE country where this is a mainstream practice JUST ONE

Posting bogus pseudoscience with no evidence base which you do not grasp is not a sign of being knowledgeable
Is this recognized by the FDA or any other OECD country

This work is purely speculative and experimental with no evidence in peer reviewed journals .
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Those teachers build on the training on you give your kids at home. You are struggling at home with one kid, imagine a teacher who has over 20 kids to teach each day, some of them like you own, and tell me how much "home" training you expect that teacher to be able to give all those kids when you can't can't figure out just one at home? undecided

2. Try to put yourself in that child's world. If that child is truly struggling with mental illness, that basically means that while he is struggling to make sense of the world around him, confused as to how to wrap his mind around the neurochemical signals in his brain, his body and the expectations placed on him by those around him including his parents, you and your wife are busy fighting over whether is it as good idea to find him potential treatment for the chaos that is his existence. undecided

At his age, I was already struggling to make sense of the world around me. By age seven, I had already started pondering the worth of my existence, and that remained by daily life for over 3 decades after that. My parents didn't have information back during their day so I don't really blame them for not being able to help me but no day goes by that I don't remind myself that I need to do better as far a the kids in my own care. undecided

Take your child to a child therapist and least learn what could be potential his case so you can know where to begin looking for help. undecided

If you think your child is struggling with ADHD,you can download an online test to try at home with your wife to help you both maybe understand what hell your child is having to live with while you two continue to caress your egos in this.

I have no sympathies for parents because parents choose,of their own,to take one the responsibility that is their children. Your duty which you claimed for yourself is to care for those souls which you brought into this world abeg. Please strive to do a great job no matter what. undecided

Thank you! This makes so much sense

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
Annwrites:
P.s: I'm not a parent. But I live with ADHD and late diagnosis, lack of parental support, no medication, affected me as a child and even into adulthood.
I can relate. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by aribisala0(m): 5:08pm On Mar 26, 2022
Igbofam:

You are not reading widely enough
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-issues-warning-letter-genomics-lab-illegally-marketing-genetic-test-claims-predict-patients

The FDA in the US does not support any practice in which claims are made about predicting response to medication based on DNA test

Such technology likely will come one day

It does not exist today

At any rate if it existed it is NOT ROUTINE as you claim and not available to the public. It may be available in research centres for experimentation
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I came here for advice on how to tackle a problem, not for a lecture on whether I am doing a good job of raising my kids. I've raised my kids the best way I feel. Not everyone is perfect. Sometimes you need inputs of other parents. Most of the time when I flog him, he behaves. His teacher has told me on several occasions he behaves after I "talk" to him, but it is not all the time one should spank a kid when he misbehaves. Training kids is not only achieved at home. They also have to learn and be corrected in school where their parents are not present, and that's where teachers come in.

As for the test, if you read my initial post, I clearly mentioned I AM OPEN TO TAKING HIM FOR AN ADHD TEST. It's my wife that's against it. I can't do that without her input and support. How would you feel if your spouse goes behind your back to do something with both your kids without your support and knowledge?

You should convince your wife on what is best for your kids!! Is her religion or believes against such test? Years later you both might grow up regretting not doing the needful. Treat him for ADHD... Your kid probably has attention issues and it should be sorted now that he's still a kid before he starts skipping class to do things where his mind is and then he ends joining either cribs or blood
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by TheRealestGuy(m): 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Thank you very much. The funny thing is i do not even allow them to watch anything until the weekend. They know they have their school work to do each time they get home.

One issue I figured is my son gets bored easily. He gets tired of things once he has done them more than twice or thrice. When I call and tell him we would work on his homeworks when I get home, more often than not he would have done them before I get home. He is the kind of kid who can't sit still in one place for long and gets distracted, which was how I was when I was his age. That's why I decided to enroll him into the U8 soccer team he is. He has been there for a few weeks now and i hope that helps him.

You are on the right path by getting him involved in sports.

Also, please guide him into music and other things. What a whiz kid needs is to keep on being challenged. Get him involved in as many interesting things as possible including science, tech and whatever else may pique his interest.

Taking him to see a doctor is good but sometimes the only solution they recommend is pumping one with pulls which isn't necessarily the best solution.

By now you should know your kid is special. Just keep guiding him, observe him keenly and channel his restless mind into as many interesting activities as possible.

All the best.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by freddie009(m): 5:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
Zonefree:
You bought PS5 for a six year old and you're wondering why he's misbehaving undecided

They are the type that wants the teacher to perform magic. They wouldn't deal with the root of the problem.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by DrFunmisticGlow: 5:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

please!! short attention span, impulsiveness, destructiveness and hyperactivity are the Hallmark symptoms of ADHD, He might be on the autism spectrum too. Please go for that ADHD test and settle the matter once and for all.

He needs to see a child psychiatrist
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by DrFunmisticGlow: 5:19pm On Mar 26, 2022
Zonefree:
You bought PS5 for a six year old and you're wondering why he's misbehaving undecided
Did the boy destroy the PS5. LOOKS like ADHD to me!!
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by DrFunmisticGlow: 5:20pm On Mar 26, 2022
Nsiehi:
Your son has features of ADHD and seems not to respond to behavioural therapy. Take him to a paediatrician/paediatric neurologist for a better care.
He might be on the autism spectrum too.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by freddie009(m): 5:23pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

She said that I had the same behavior when I was a kid. I believe she is just scared.

Like she was your mother when you growing up.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by ojari: 5:27pm On Mar 26, 2022
Your son has ADHD.

Or he may have an actual hearing problem.

That's why the need for proper medical diagnosis cannot be overstated.

But if it's Adhd. These are measures that work; Cut him off sugar completely and put him on a gluten free diet for a while.

If that that doesn't calm him, try Cannaabis oil or Ritalin. Though Cannaabis oil preferably because its natural.

But before taking these steps, it would be best to see a neurologist who will give proper diagnosis. Tell your wife not to scared. At least, your sons AdHd does not have an additional learning disability accompanied with it. Even if it did, medical diagnosis for early treatment will help him improve on time. Delay will only worsen the situation. Take care.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Oyiboman69: 5:46pm On Mar 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You didn't answer the question which was " Please share how the "moral upbringing through African way" is reflecting positively in the daily life in Nigeria today? undecided

Mindlog, you should consider creating a thread with this question of yours so we can all have a serious conversation on this issue. We read a lot of comments on how great and values-driven the Nigerian approach to child-rearing is but how many of those claims hold up to the reality of what is Nigeria today? undecided
I mentioned in my post where I said I'll use whatever means necessary to guide my child particular in it's tender age. However, if you look keenly,in our society today, high percentage of the children misbehaving in our society today are those that are not properly discipline in their tender age when they are out of line.

For example, I cannot fully employ a foreign template in bringing up my child. I'll groom my child in the way a Nigerian parents will do. It is obvious that most people who tends to bring their children up in the foreign pattern are sometimes find themselves in an unfamiliar circumstances as they fail to address some certain issue in their tender age.
In other words, the African way is reflecting positively on many of our children today. As for the negative effects of children today, blame it on our political leaders of today who has ensured that our environment is hopeless for us today....
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Igbofam: 5:50pm On Mar 26, 2022
aribisala0:

Reading up and not understanding what you read is more dangerous than not reading at all
YOU CLAIMED that ADHD is diagnosed by a DNA swab test and that is used to influence treatment
The implication is that there is a DNA marker for ADHD Diagnosis. THIS IS WRONG
Simple question NAME ONE country where this is a mainstream practice JUST ONE

Posting bogus pseudoscience with no evidence base which you do not grasp is not a sign of being knowledgeable
Is this recognized by the FDA or any other OECD country

This work is purely speculative and experimental with no evidence in peer reviewed journals .

You are not just willfully blind but also mischieviously willfully blind.

When did I say DNA swab is used to diagnose ADHD?

Is it that you cannot understand what you read? Below was my comment you twisted mischievously.

Read the parts in bold and stop with your rubbish

However modern medicine and its method of checking for ADHD in Patients entails an ADHD swab test (covering ADHD medications), which collects saliva from the patient. It is completely non-invasive and used to analyze a patient's DNA in order to see how the patient would respond to particular medications

Notice the words in red and in brackets which describe what the swab test is actually for?

Why twist my words with your lies?

Abi you dey mad ni?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by StarGra: 5:52pm On Mar 26, 2022
From the look of things,the OP has ego problem..Oga fix yourself before your child...your response shows you need advice first before your child

klassyguy:

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by litaninja(m): 5:54pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

You buy ps5 instead of belt or cane and you dey complain?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
with all the resources available to you in the US, i fail to see how you didnt try to find the solution with professionals?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Whoknowsme: 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
dawnomike:
Your son is 'different'... Don't see him as a problem. You just need to pay an extra attention to him as he needs a very good teleguiding to find his way in life. He will come out great if you do the hardwork on him now
My brother was once like that. He can calculate arithmetic off heart within seconds, he knows all the state and continents in the world.
All op needs to do is to guide him gradually but it won't be easy cuz i know what my family saw and felt in the life of my brother. But time will tell he will mature. Op needs to encourage him more to work hard.
Everything with time will get better
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
Oyiboman69:
I mentioned in my post where I said I'll use whatever means necessary to guide my child particular in it's tender age. However, if you look keenly,in our society today, high percentage of the children misbehaving in our society today are those that are not properly discipline in their tender age when they are out of line.

For example, I cannot fully employ a foreign template in bringing up my child. I'll groom my child in the way a Nigerian parents will do. It is obvious that most people who tends to bring their children up in the foreign pattern are sometimes find themselves in an unfamiliar circumstances as they fail to address some certain issue in their tender age.
In other words, the African way is reflecting positively on many of our children today. As for the negative effects of children today, blame it on our political leaders of today who has ensured that our environment is hopeless for us today....
is that a contradiction or what abeg? undecided
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Dajuyoung: 6:09pm On Mar 26, 2022
I don't see a problem here. Just try Positive reinforcement on him. Thats all. He'll definitely change.

klassyguy:

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 26, 2022
Wayward kids full America, no discipline.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by SilentBurner(m): 6:10pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Endure, pray for him.

When his up to 18??

Send him to the Military academy.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by aribisala0(m): 6:15pm On Mar 26, 2022
Igbofam:

You are not just willfully blind but also mischieviously willfully blind.

When did I say DNA swab is used to diagnose ADHD?

Is it that you cannot understand what you read? Below was my comment you twisted mischievously.

Read the parts in bold and stop with your rubbish

Notice the words in red and in brackets which describe what the swab test is actually for?

Why twist my words with your lies?

Abi you dey mad ni?

Empty bluff. Your words are clear and your spin is pathetic
Why would somebody who has not been diagnosed with ADHD be having a DNA test to determine which medication would work? Is that the first thing?

At any rate that is an unproven procedure , not licensed anywhere.
Even if genetics play a role in autism that is not proven and not the only likely cause. Infection or medication in pregnancy or early infancy may play a role. No one knows.

How widespread is this procedure you are touting as the first course of action?
Simple truth is that there is no indication for DNA testing in this case .
If you read something somewhere that is out of your depth do not present yourself as an expert
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Ybaby: 6:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What do you mean? undecided

It means all you said is true and to use capital letter so the OP and others do not miss the message

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Oyiboman69: 6:20pm On Mar 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
is that a contradiction or what abeg? undecided
its obvious you choose to ignore where I used the word positive....
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Bbbw: 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2022
Really
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by BigTableShaker(f): 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Taking him for a test is not my problem. Their mother is against it. I cannot do that without her support. And the thought of moving to Nigeria was just a thought. We both have been chewing on that for a while now. Raising kids in this environment, particularly in today's US, is not as easy as you think. When I grew up in Nigeria, I had teachers who would flog the daylights out of you for misbehaving in class, and once you get home, you will get additional cane. I know how many times my dad broke cables on my back for misbehaving in school, and that is after I got punished by my teachers. Those beatings straightened me out and made me who I am today. Here, teachers cannot lay their hands on kids as they can be arrested for abusing the child. I've seen it play out several times and it is not pretty. Even the good ol' "ass whopping" families give their kids when they misbehave is frowned on as one nosy neighbor can call child services and report that you're abusing your kids.

It's better you bring that child to Nigeria and flog the hell outta him.

spare the rod and spoil the child- Holy bible

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding / My Wife Told Me The Only Reason She's Still With Me Is Because Of Our 2 Kids / My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.