Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus (31297 Views)

Niger: Junta Re-opens Borders With Neighbours, Excludes Nigeria, Benin Rep / Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus / Ukrainians Angry As Putin Offers Evacuation Routes Lead To Russia And Belarus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by obontami: 12:10pm On Apr 05, 2022
Oyindidi:
A very poor analysis! Anyway you try.
kiss
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Olafisoyem: 1:17pm On Apr 05, 2022
seunny4lif:

And same in EU?
Ask anyone in EU, what the price of things now?
Do you know how many is baby foods now?

I’m in the UK and yes the price of things have been going up but the government is helping with discounts on fuel. Russia dey really suffer am. They just won’t come and say. They can’t import anything right now. Most car parts, food etc.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Olafisoyem: 1:18pm On Apr 05, 2022
sapientia:

The prople you are trying to educate do not read

Just give them 6 months to one year

They will see effects of the sanction on Russia

I swear
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Olafisoyem: 1:20pm On Apr 05, 2022
BKayy:

LOL countries of combined landmass of less than 500,000 km2 "completely isolating" a country of 17 million Km2.

Lol who was your geography teacher?

Russia is a continent. She is even bigger than the whole of Europe. Like almost times two

Most of it is waste land. Nobody lives there. In fact they send prisoners to Siberia because it’s empty.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by seunny4lif(m): 1:30pm On Apr 05, 2022
Olafisoyem:

I’m in the UK and yes the price of things have been going up but the government is helping with discounts on fuel. Russia dey really suffer am. They just won’t come and say. They can’t import anything right now. Most car parts, food etc.
Now my questions are this, do you drive? Are you living without flat mates? Do you have kids? Is your place an apartment or house?
Those questions determines your bills.

Russia import anything according to who?
EU still export to Russia bro.
Germany government have spend almost 13B within 3 weeks of high cost oil and gas.
Irish government said it can’t continue the fuel subsidy beyond April ending as they have spent close to €500M in just 2 weeks.

Protect in Spain and Italy.
Gas and electricity bills has went up over 70%
Everyone is getting hit that Japan has even refused to pulled out of oil and gas deal with Russia, as they know that doing that will make them do lose completions to India and China
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 2:00pm On Apr 05, 2022
grandstar:

I am not an economist, though I am a massive fan of the free market and have a love for economics in general. My favorite magazine since I was 17 has been the Economist magazine.

Trust me, no matter how much you cheer the Russian economy, it will be severely hurt by sanctions. The previous sanctions imposed in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea had limited damaging effect on its economy and slowed its growth.

Putin, then, chose to implement economic reforms that would insulate the economy from the effects of further sanctions in the future. It built massive foreign reserves of $600bn for example which was one of the cushions. Unfortunately for Putin, he did not know that the sanctions the West would heap on it in the wake of the invasion would be so draconian.

It is best you listen to professionals. There are also 2 university-trained economists here on Nairaland, omohayek, and 4play who can lecture you on the true effects the sanctions will have on the Russian economy.

I have also placed some links below

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/3/31/russias-post-invasion-political-economy

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/18/russia-central-bank-keeps-rates-at-20percent-but-warns-of-considerable-uncertainty.html

The point is that sanctions cannot cripple a country like Russia. This is obvious already.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 2:01pm On Apr 05, 2022
leathalbeast:
even heard that they bought oil from russia last week, double of what they normally buy.

They have no replacement for it at the moment. Hence they stock up high than they normally do.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 2:57pm On Apr 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Russia doesn’t have the capability to cut off the countries you named from the rest of Europe.
Russia wouldn’t dare try his bullying with those three Baltic states because they are ALL NATO members.
He picked on Ukraine because it is not a member and he thought it would be an easy conquest.

Contrary to what you wanted to believe, Russia has the immense capability to cut of the three Baltic states from the rest of Europe. They said it themselves.

"While an imminent attack on the Baltics seems unlikely, the three countries worry about Russia’s ability to cut them off from the rest of Europe via the Suwalki gap, the narrow 65km Polish-Lithuanian border, seen as one of Nato’s most vulnerable points. To the west lies the heavily weaponised Russian exclave of Kaliningrad; to the east is Belarus." See the map below.

https://www.ft.com/content/38b1906f-4302-4a09-b304-dc2ecf5dc771

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by omohayek: 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2022
Appleyard:

The point is that sanctions cannot cripple a country like Russia. This is obvious already.
It's also "obvious" that the world is flat, but that doesn't make either claim true.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/04/russias-economy-is-beginning-to-crack-as-economists-forecast-sharp-contractions.html
Goldman Sachs has forecast a 10% contraction in Russian GDP this year, while the Institute for International Finance think tank has projected a more damaging 15% plunge.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/23/were-going-back-to-a-ussr-long-queues-return-for-russian-shoppers-as-sanctions-bite
After an hour and a half queuing for sugar, or worse still fighting for it in a market, Russians are feeling the effect of shortages caused by an unprecedented cutoff from the world

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-04/russians-face-shortages-of-vital-medication-after-ukraine-invasion
Russians are struggling to get hold of vital medication, including types of insulin, drugs to treat thyroid issues, anti-depressants and blood thinners after Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, according to reports.

Panic-buying and logistical problems caused by Western sanctions are thought to be fuelling the shortages that have continued since Russia's invasion of Ukraine on February 24.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10680353/Russians-face-24-inflation-Western-sanctions-trigger-deepest-recession-fall-USSR.html
Russian families face 24% inflation hike as tough Western sanctions are set to plunge the country into its deepest recession since the collapse of the Soviet Union

Do please feel free to pull the usual Putin-apologist move of dismissing all of the reports above as "fake news" or "western propaganda", while insisting that the likes of Sputnik News, Russia Today and Xinhua represent the epitome of objective journalism ...

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by grandstar(m): 3:09pm On Apr 05, 2022
Appleyard:

It has already! There's report of panic buying of goods which indicates artificial shortages caused by the sanctions.

In today's times, you can only deliver prosperity through only international trade. Do you think the machine parts or automobile parts of cars or machines can easily be replicated? The supply chain has been sabotaged by the sanctions. Most foreign shippers are no longer landing at Russian ports.

Russia now has more sanctions than even Iran.

Read the article below. I pity everyday Russians. It's not fair.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/14/putins-invasion-of-ukraine-will-knock-the-russian-economy-back-by-30-years.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2022/04/04/panic-buying-or-a-long-term-problem-russia-suffers-drug-shortages-amid-sanctions-over-ukra

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/economy/empty-shelves-rising-prices-panic-buying-sweeps-russia-as-sanctions-bite

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Babinski: 5:18pm On Apr 05, 2022
Appleyard:

At the bolded, are you honestly mistaking or deliberately misleading? What happen to the Russian-Belarusian land border? Or is Belarus no longer a European country? It takes just 8 hours 36 minutes to drive from Russia to Belarus. How about that? Or am I the one mistaking?

Belarus is bordered by Ukraine, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. Any trans-border travel from Russia through Belarus cannot proceed to the rest of Europe except through the aforementioned countries.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Oyindidi(f): 11:55pm On Apr 05, 2022
obontami:
kiss
Na my oga dey use my handle. I no get time for nl
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by LadiesForever(f): 11:56pm On Apr 05, 2022
RichMelanin:

What are you saying
Why would European countries get involved in building a pipeline from Russia with billions when they have crude, or don’t you know natural gas deposit is different from crude deposit, and Russia has abundance of both at a very cheap rate, you claiming that Norway,Romania and Poland produces crude and gas, I don’t even know where you got that claim from, these are countries who buy, store and refine

Instead of wondering idly where i got it from a simple goggle check would have shown you that as of February, Germany has halted its construction of multi-billion pipeline across the Nord sea to Russia.

Now let's assume that pipeline is to bring zobo from Russia down to Berlin are yu telling me that you have never heard of any other European or EuroAsian nation producing and exporting oil and gas except your darling Russia?

You mean to tell me you have never heard of Canada, Norway, Romania producing and exporting huge amouths of oil and gas?
Most people outside Europe don't even know the Ukarine and Poland produce oil and gas but goggle is your friend unless you don't trust her.

Even the USA can’t even produce enough for their consumption due to the nature of their topography and ability of so of their oil marketer to ramp up production

Shushhhh... let me tell you an open secret. The US has the larges oil and gas reserves in the world.... big than Russia and Saudi Arabia

The catch is production of oil leads to environmental polution and that is what the US, with it's many cities, arbores. It would rather import oil than produce it.

Russia and Saudi Arabia, iran on the other hand don't care especially given that the majority of their oil are mined out in wastelands like deserts.

Hence, when you look at the list of oil producers you see countries like Saudi Arabia and Russia ranking higher than the US. shocked shocked shocked

India just like Hungary and Germany would keep buying gas from Russia theys no other choice as well as China that isn’t yielding to the pressure of the west
Saudi Arabia has started talks with China to use the chine yuan for oil trade with China

China, India, Hungary are non oil producers with high populations. They are connected to Russia via pipelines reaching across the border.
Germany, which has the largest population in Europe was constructing a pipeline to Russia too for cheap oil, but has stopped. It still has a contract with Russia that runs for a year but is already in talks with Norway for oil and gas.

Any deal with Iran is death for now till next year, how would Europe survive the winter and inflation hiking economy presently on, hike in energy and food scarcity for a year
How would Russia survive the sanctions for a year?
May be their oil and gas lasts forever so Europe need not look elsewhere till eternity.

Any deal with Iran is death?
My guy, Iran has the capacity to match Russia's output and in the face of Russia's behavior and the sanctions, the west is trying to make a soft landing for Iran so that it can be free to replace Russia on the oil market.
Russia knows an is blocking such a peace deal.

I say wait an see.

I believe those sanctions would be eased off very soon with Russia’s aim already achieved in reclaiming the Donbas region and demilitarization of Ukraine, Putin’s aim wasn’t to seize the whole of Ukraine hope you know that

The relationship between Russia and the west will never be the same again.
Russia shot itself in the foot.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by LadiesForever(f): 11:58pm On Apr 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

So in other words, other countries can survive without Russian exports.

Cut themselves off just at once? No
But they will find a way.
Just watch!
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by plaindealer: 3:17am On Apr 06, 2022
Appleyard:

What you have been reading is propaganda.

When you and your kind can not process facts or when you are short on facts, you hide under propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by plaindealer: 3:19am On Apr 06, 2022
LadiesForever:

Instead of wondering idly where i got it from a simple goggle check would have shown you that as of February, Germany has halted its construction of multi-billion pipeline across the Nord sea to Russia.

Now let's assume that pipeline is to bring zobo from Russia down to Berlin are yu telling me that you have never heard of any other European or EuroAsian nation producing and exporting oil and gas except your darling Russia?

You mean to tell me you have never heard of Canada, Norway, Romania producing and exporting huge amouths of oil and gas?
Most people outside Europe don't even know the Ukarine and Poland produce oil and gas but goggle is your friend unless you don't trust her.

Shushhhh... let me tell you an open secret. The US has the larges oil and gas reserves in the world.... big than Russia and Saudi Arabia

The catch is production of oil leads to environmental polution and that is what the US, with it's many cities, arbores. It would rather import oil than produce it.

Russia and Saudi Arabia, iran on the other hand don't care especially given that the majority of their oil are mined out in wastelands like deserts.

Hence, when you look at the list of oil producers you see countries like Saudi Arabia and Russia ranking higher than the US. shocked shocked shocked

China, India, Hungary are non oil producers with high populations. They are connected to Russia via pipelines reaching across the border.
Germany, which has the largest population in Europe was constructing a pipeline to Russia too for cheap oil, but has stopped. It still has a contract with Russia that runs for a year but is already in talks with Norway for oil and gas.

How would Russia survive the sanctions for a year?
May be their oil and gas lasts forever so Europe need not look elsewhere till eternity.

Any deal with Iran is death?
My guy, Iran has the capacity to match Russia's output and in the face of Russia's behavior and the sanctions, the west is trying to make a soft landing for Iran so that it can be free to replace Russia on the oil market.
Russia knows an is blocking such a peace deal.

I say wait an see.

The relationship between Russia and the west will never be the same again.
Russia shot itself in the foot.

You know your facts and your Onions.

Respect.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:20am On Apr 06, 2022
LadiesForever:

Cut themselves off just at once? No
But they will find a way.
Just watch!

I was being sarcastic but I agree with you. They’ll survive without Russia.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by klarry79: 11:53am On Apr 06, 2022
plaindealer:

Even Russians won't say that, Russia is in so much disastrous and crippling trouble, you just don't know.

When the West is done with Putin, stone age go feel like paradise to Russians.

My brother please tell them.
The west will weather the initial shock and are now recalibrating so they are not dependent on other countries for survival. Russia in the meantime is really going to have it tough for a long time. The west always play the long game. Putin really overplayed his hand and now with the fiasco in Ukraine he is simply demystified. No more respect for Putin.

Even small countries like Poland etc don close border dey show am vex.

The Russian people will be forced to wake up finally. We are seeing the last throes of this dictator. He either resets the world order and make Russia the world police otherwise na extra time e dey now o.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by klarry79: 11:59am On Apr 06, 2022
Appleyard:

Contrary to what you wanted to believe, Russia has the immense capability to cut of the three Baltic states from the rest of Europe. They said it themselves.

"While an imminent attack on the Baltics seems unlikely, the three countries worry about Russia’s ability to cut them off from the rest of Europe via the Suwalki gap, the narrow 65km Polish-Lithuanian border, seen as one of Nato’s most vulnerable points. To the west lies the heavily weaponised Russian exclave of Kaliningrad; to the east is Belarus." See the map below.

https://www.ft.com/content/38b1906f-4302-4a09-b304-dc2ecf5dc771

Valid point but right now Russia will have to use it's military to we ard of any geopolitical realignment l. Coz they are not looking good anymore. NATO is well aware of Kaliningrad and are poised to setup defence systems.

I just dont up nderstand why Putin has made himself and Russia so vulnerable
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 2:33pm On Apr 06, 2022
Babinski:

Belarus is bordered by Ukraine, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. Any trans-border travel from Russia through Belarus cannot proceed to the rest of Europe except through the aforementioned countries.

I pointed out Belarus because you omitted it. Besides, Belarus shares border with Ukraine. That aside, there are many border fronts linking Russia to Europe, the three Baltic states aside.

It takes just 11hrs to drive from Saint Petersburg to Finland. 29hrs to drive from Russia to Sweden.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by pansophist(m): 9:54pm On Apr 06, 2022
emmaodet:

bro, if what i have been reading is right, it is like Russia is really losing the war.
They have jammed their communication system thereby resorting to walking-talkie and Ukrainian telecommunication and the opponent eavesdropping their moves and killing many Russian colonels and generals in process.
Some issues like poor logistics, poorly trained infantries with low Morales, using outdated and obsolete weapons among others are a great concern about Russia.
The places they captured initially have been re-captured by Ukrainians with the help of NATO modern jamming system, use of rocket javelins to blow out Russian tanks, shooting down Russian planes

Oga Emma, stop listening to mainstream media, or at least, read other sources, not just western one. All what you wrote is not true, and I know because I belong to a telegram page in Russian, where citizens of Ukraine and the soldiers themselves fighting in Ukraine are posting live updates about the situations.

Also, follow CGTN and Shanghai eye on YouTube, to get a balances view. Why do you think YouTube blocked RT (Russian today) channels to be broadcasted ? Its simply because they do not want you to hear the other perspective that will disprove their points. Listen to other channels and decide yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by emmaodet: 12:23am On Apr 07, 2022
pansophist:

Oga Emma, stop listening to mainstream media, or at least, read other sources, not just western one. All what you wrote is not true, and I know because I belong to a telegram page in Russian, where citizens of Ukraine and the soldiers themselves fighting in Ukraine are posting live updates about the situations.

Also, follow CGTN and Shanghai eye on YouTube, to get a balances view. Why do you think YouTube blocked RT (Russian today) channels to be broadcasted ? Its simply because they do not want you to hear the other perspective that will disprove their points. Listen to other channels and decide yourself.

Okay bro. I follow up on quora.
With all these propagandas up and down, only God knows how many bullshits have we been fed all these years about a lot of things.
I am beginning to doubt the isrealis powers in the middle east self because i have my reserve about them. How they have been single handedly beating the surrounding arab countries regularly even when they attack them at the same time from different angles.
Also, this war has exposed one thing to me. The west hate to rely on others but want other countries to rely HEAVILY on them so that the can always screw them anytime they want.
Since the outbreak of this war, the west (US, EU/NATO) have all been scrambling up and down drastically looking for other options to wean themselves off russia like other arab countries selling to them in the short term and electric cars in the long term so that russia and others in general won't be able to influence their own decision making YET want everyone to be using the dollars, euros and britain pound for international trade so that they can be influencing our own decision making and any president that wants to take action to wean his country away from west influence will find his country heavily destroyed.
This one no be witch craft soooooooooooooo?

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:59am On Apr 07, 2022
pansophist:

Shanghai-eye is a big source of propaganda and their stories usually fail fact-checks.
RT was blocked because it’s Russian state-controlled and spreads propaganda and falsehoods. You can still access it through platforms that welcome false and misleading content. State controlled means that the Russian government controls the content.

March 3 (Reuters) - Russian state-controlled news network RT said on Thursday it will begin broadcasting on Rumble, a YouTube-like video site, after tech companies including Meta Platforms (FB.O) and Twitter (TWTR.N) have restricted access to RT following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Tech companies in recent days have moved to restrict Russian state-controlled media including RT and Sputnik in response to requests from governments and calls to prevent the spread of Russia propaganda. Russia has called its actions in Ukraine a "special operation."

Streaming media company Roku (ROKU.O)has removed the app for RT from its Roku Channel Store globally, a spokesperson said.

Facebook owner Meta said on Tuesday it was globally demoting content from Russian state-controlled media outlets' Facebook pages and Instagram accounts. read more
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Acefaruk: 5:55am On Apr 09, 2022
VictorUSA:
USA stopped european allies from buying russian oil and later bought the same russian oil in large quantity with a cheaper price and sold it to the same european allies.
Biggest deciet of the century. US weldone o!!
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Truvela: 8:54am On Apr 09, 2022
They are still Eyesolating Russia. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Israel To Citizens: Supporters of our archenemy will be in Qatar, keep low profi / CNN Apologises For Spreading Israeli Fake News On 40 Babies Beheading / Boris Johnson on the brink as 30 members of cabinet resign in 24 hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.