Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus (31251 Views)

Niger: Junta Re-opens Borders With Neighbours, Excludes Nigeria, Benin Rep / Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus / Ukrainians Angry As Putin Offers Evacuation Routes Lead To Russia And Belarus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by plaindealer: 8:47pm On Apr 04, 2022
RichMelanin:

For every action they is an opposite reaction, this would only have effect on their diplomatic relationship, both parties get to loose, but I see Poland and co loosing more, the things you use to get cheap from your neighbor would come at high cost getting it else where, Russia would only have to throw their abundant products out into the international markets at affordable cost and still boost its economy

1. Russian economy is not an industrialized manufacturing economy, they don't make much beyond military products.

Have you ever seen any made-in-Russia products around you or in your life.?

2. Russia can not sell anything meaningful as we speak beyond oil and gas that are still subject to strict sanctions which could happen in the next few days because of the massacre and atrocities Putin committed in Ukraine.

Btw, what are the abundant products that Russia will throw into the international market and who are the buyers?

Have you ever wondered why China is not helping Russia apart from buying oil? The fear of sanctions and collateral damage. China can not afford to suffer economic damage because of Russia.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by toxtimmy: 8:50pm On Apr 04, 2022
So your parents are from Cuba?..lol... Did anybody force you to go to Cuba?... Is anybody forcing you to go to Zamfara?... If you like be a woman... that's you and the wig you wear on your head business.

Ask yourself who on this planet or in your village will go on vacation where they think it's not beautiful to great to see or visit?.. I will pay for you and your group to go on vacation in Zamfara state, you either take my offer or reject it.

1stGenAmerican:

1.I’m a woman.
2. I haven’t traveled everywhere on the planet.
3. I went to Cuba on a group vacation.
4. I have been to Nigeria four times to visit family but I’ve never been to Zamfara state because that is not where my 1 Nigerian parent is from.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:52pm On Apr 04, 2022
gambojimeta:

You are very full. What is the GDP of those countries you listed. You even listed Mali. You forgot to add Eritrea. Shithole countries.

Look at China below, they basically depend on Western nations for trade grin

China is scared of Western sanctions for a good reason. China's Xi is not dull like Putin, else they would have invaded Taiwan

cheesy
I love it when people reject rhetoric and embrace the truth. At the beginning of the invasion, Putin’s fans on Nairaland that don’t understand world politics or global economics swore that China would soon rush to rescue Russia. They’re still waiting like I said they’d be. You just gave them a dose of the truth about China and other countries that they have a glorified view of. China’s top priority is money and China won’t let any other country disrupt their flow of money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Tdotbluejays1: 8:57pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:
So your parents are from Cuba?..lol... Did anybody force you to go to Cuba?... Is anybody forcing you to go to Zamfara?... If you like be a woman... that's you and the wig you wear on your head business.

Ask yourself who on this planet or in your village will go on vacation where they think it's not beautiful to great to see or visit?.. I will pay for you and your group to go on vacation in Zamfara state, you either take my offer or reject it.

Have you heard of the word resort?

Do you have safe resorts in Zamfara? If there are, people will travel there.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by lexy2014: 8:59pm On Apr 04, 2022
VictorUSA:
I believe you didn't read all the news today.

Neither did you
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VirileNelly2420: 9:00pm On Apr 04, 2022
gambojimeta:
I pity the Russians. Not like they were enjoying before..
They are suffering harder just like Nigerians suffered during Abacha era sanctions grin

Despite Putin's effort to hide what's going on in Russia, news is like gas, it's hard to contain.

Russians fleeing to claim refugee in the great USA grin

Where exactly are u driving at? People don't fight again, even here in Naija? So, wots d difference? Even in US, people get to misunderstand n fight.
Even as naija wowo reach, we still have Americans leaving here wit us, and some still wanting to come in.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by toxtimmy: 9:02pm On Apr 04, 2022
So Cuba is a great place with a resort...lol...To close this topic, have you heard of resorts in Russia, Iran and Belarus? What do they have in common with Cuba, sanctions right.

So my point is if Cuba with sanctions for over or close to tens of years is building resorts... Why can't Russia that have more wealth and resources build more resorts in Russia so I can go on group vacation too?

Tdotbluejays1:

Have you heard of the word resort?

Do you have safe resorts in Zamfara? If there are, people will travel there.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by gambojimeta: 9:02pm On Apr 04, 2022
VirileNelly2420:

Where exactly are u driving at? People don't fight again, even here in Naija? So, wots d difference? Even in US, people get to misunderstand n fight.
Even as naija wowo reach, we still have Americans leaving here wit us, and some still wanting to come in.
So those Americans are coming in as refugees shey?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by sundayoluwatimi(m): 9:03pm On Apr 04, 2022
RichMelanin:

For every action they is an opposite reaction, this would only have effect on their diplomatic relationship, both parties get to loose, but I see Poland and co loosing more, the things you use to get cheap from your neighbor would come at high cost getting it else where, Russia would only have to throw their abundant products out into the international markets at affordable cost and still boost its economy

Which international market is buying the products?

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:03pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:

Typical Nigerian that resorts to insults when challenged. I don’t wear wigs and if you read my response then you’d know the answer to whether or not my parents are from Cuba. The vacation to Cuba was to celebrate policy changing since US citizens had been restricted from traveling there since the embargo.
I traveled with 7 other people. Today, a round trip ticket to Nigeria from my nearest airport is $1967 USD x 8 people = $15,736usd, flight only. Add in other expenses and I’m sure that it’s more than you’ll see this year. undecided
I appreciate your shot at being humorous though.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by olympianares: 9:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
BKayy:

LOL countries of combined landmass of less than 500,000 km2 "completely isolating" a country of 17 million Km2.

Lol who was your geography teacher?

Russia is a continent. She is even bigger than the whole of Europe. Like almost times two
how this one dey think??
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:
So Cuba is a great place with a resort...lol...To close this topic, have you heard of resorts in Russia, Iran and Belarus? What do they have in common with Cuba, sanctions right.

So my point is if Cuba with sanctions for over or close to tens of years is building resorts... Why can't Russia that have more wealth and resources build more resorts in Russia so I can go on group vacation too?

Show me where I used the word “resort” or even insinuated that we lodged at one. That among many other things makes your point moot.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
olympianares:
how this one dey think??

cheesy
I was shocked to see several monikers say that Russia is a continent! And that moniker had nerve to ask you who your teacher was when their teacher had to be a dunce!

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Tdotbluejays1: 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:

People go to vacation in Russia. My work colleague travelled there for one week just before Covid. This would likely change after the invasion due to airline sanctions. Are planes still flying to Russia from the West? I do not think so.

When I say resort, I mean countries that are poor or extremely poor still have resorts. A resort is not a measure of how well a country is doing. Jamaica, South Africa, Egypt e.t.c all have resort for mostly western tourist. In Mexico, western tourist in groups or individuals get bussed with heavy security to their resort which has private beaches and hotels e.t.c same as Cuba. Tourist rarely leave their resorts. Resorts are all inclusive.

Nothing to do with how well the economy of that country is doing. Infact, the government of those countries go above and beyond to take care of tourist due to revenues from tourism.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:09pm On Apr 04, 2022
Tdotbluejays1:

People go to vacation in Russia. My work colleague travelled there for one week just before Covid. This would likely change after the invasion due to airline sanctions. Are planes still flying to Russia from the West? I do not think so.

When I say resort, I mean countries that are poor or extremely poor still have resort. A resort is not a measure of how well a country is doing. Jamaica, South Africa, Egypt e.t.c all have resort for mostly western tourist. In Mexico, western tourist get bussed with heavy security to their resort which has private beach e.t.c same as Cuba. Tourist rarely leave their resorts.

Nothing to do with how well the economy of that country is doing. Infact, the government of those countries go above and beyond to take care of tourist due to revenues from tourism.

Yes.

Very good point. And in the case of Caribbean countries, the entire economy of the country depends on tourism and resorts.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VictorUSA(m): 9:10pm On Apr 04, 2022
lexy2014:

Neither did you
But did you read the news that someone from china was criticising America saying that the U.S was the biggest beneficiary in the russo-ukrainian war? And that europe is the biggest loser?
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Tdotbluejays1: 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Very good point. And in the case of Caribbean countries, the entire economy of the country depends on tourism and resorts.
I know right. A good example is Cuba. Around 10% of the countries GDP usually comes from tourism.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by lexy2014: 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2022
VictorUSA:
But did you read the news that someone from china was criticising America saying that the U.S was the biggest beneficiary in the russo-ukrainian war? And that europe is the biggest loser?

What has that got to do with my comment about Americans going to Mexico to buy cheap fuel ?
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VictorUSA(m): 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2022
Acefaruk:
pls what's the gain of USA in this war economically?
USA stopped european allies from buying russian oil and later bought the same russian oil in large quantity with a cheaper price and sold it to the same european allies.

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
VirileNelly2420:

So they’re trying to immigrate to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VictorUSA(m): 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
WATCHOVER:

Shut up America is suffering now, inflation rate is growing higher in United States, meanwhile were is Biden? The guy is feeling the heat, Ukraine president Zelensky has rendered his people useless, no amount of money pump into Ukraine will make them survive the damage
I guess you didn't read the news that the US bought russian oil in a cheaper price and sold it to european allies.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by victorsola: 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
BKayy:

LOL countries of combined landmass of less than 500,000 km2 "completely isolating" a country of 17 million Km2.

Lol who was your geography teacher?

Russia is a continent. She is even bigger than the whole of Europe. Like almost times two
this ur analysis no gel.it not by land mass na people wey Dey inside matter , with their land mass . Nigerians plenty pass russia. Shey na land won give dem money . A lot of empty . Aside Moscow and st pitersburg other places for Russia scanty die . U can check that up .

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by seunny4lif(m): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
starstunna1313:

It’s much lesser here bro
When gas and electricity is up to over 50%?
Lesser when Germany government have spent around 13B less than a month just to subsidy oil and gas bills and fuel.
Irish government announced that the fuel subsidy can only last till April meaning price pump will hit at least 3E per L
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VictorUSA(m): 9:23pm On Apr 04, 2022
lexy2014:

What has that got to do with my comment about Americans going to Mexico to buy cheap fuel ?
Go back and read my first comment and read then your comment you quoted me with.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by kushme: 9:28pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:
Wetin dey Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia that is not in Russia or Belarus?... Russia and Belarus are independent countries that can stand on their own, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia depends on the US for their economy and food; so they obey command chihuahua's as they cannot survive without handouts from the US... The funny thing is Russia is smart as

When US is completely broke in the next few years at most these countries will give Russia a Mouth Action for food and their economy.. Euroasia is the future and Russia is the gateway for europe.... This is what the war in Ukraine is part of but only those with vision can see... Learn Russian or Mandarin while you can, that's where the future is.. India, Saudi Arabia, South America and the middle eastern countries know that but africa as always cannot we cannot find our way on a straight highway but thsnks to south africa when they think africa might be able to find a way to euroasia...Japan and South Korea are playing wise from a very distant.

Bros, I believe every line you dropped. Immediately to talked about visionless Africa with the exception of South Africa. I raise hand for you.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by peteofi(m): 9:31pm On Apr 04, 2022
While am not in support of war, I feel Zelensky is going too far. Na him Minister dey announce now say other countries close borders? This Zelensky is a joke. As the west don abandon am like dead project he still refused to sign the dear, and he is just gingering his people to go and die.
To me, Russia is even going easy with them because they just want to things
(1) Forget ever joining NATO
(2) Foget the Crimea you neglected.
Zelensky should take the damn deal and stop acting a fool.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 9:31pm On Apr 04, 2022
grandstar:

Yes, some sanctions would definitely be counterproductive but these countries do not want a situation that would put them at Putins mercy. That's why they are prepared to damn the consequences. The pain will be hard but nothing compared to Russia, that is desperately looking for any buyer of its crude oil at massive discounts.

Ukraine is a breadbasket. It has very fertile soil and its a massive exporter of wheat, sunflower, honey and so on. It's the 5th largest exporter of wheat in the world for instance. The war would definitely disrupt agric industry.

Russia is also big in agriculture but I don't know how big. It is the largest exporter of wheat in the world.

Yes, both parties would be hurt by sanctions, but Russia will suffer it most. That's the plain truth

At least, you made sense and argue maturely unlike some of the kids we have in here that argue from a point of emotions.

Now, let's get this straight.

Russia did not put anyone at Putin's mercy. Rather, it's the EU beurocrats that is putting themselves at the mercy of Russian exports. There is a reason why the EU is divided when it comes to banning Russian oil and gas. Not only would they be committing economic and political suicides, the fact is, there is no good alternative to Russian oil and gas, and weaning themselves off Russian gas is not just feasible at least for the next 5 years for the major European economies. If that's the consequences they want to damn, well, no one is holding them; they can proceed. cool

Moreover, if the EU nations stop buying Russian oil and gas today, of course, Russia export reserves will be squeezed, but it will also drive oil prices higher, as global supply constricts without Russian oil. The price of a barrel of oil went past $110 weeks ago even as the EU debated its moves. Analysts have warned that prices could touch $200; even more dramatically, Russia has warned of $300 oil if the EU halts oil and gas imports.

According to European Central Bank estimates, a 10% gas shortfall will trigger a 0.7% contraction in GDP. A total ban on Russian energy is likely to shove the EU into recession, Rishi Sunak, the UK’s chancellor of the exchequer, warned last week. And the effects will spread, Sunak said; the UK economy would take nearly a $100 billion hit, or about 3% of its GDP. So, Europe will be the one to suffer more. The reason is obvious: you cannot replace 'cheap' oil and gas.

Russia isn't really desperately looking for buyers for its oil. Lmao. grin The US, Canada and Australia aside, the EU is just 27 nations, out of the 44 countries in Europe, and not all of them subscribed to banning Russian oil, e.g, Turkey and Hungary. The remaining 17 countries don't care from who they buy their oil. Plus, there is southeast Asia market, with the ever oil and gas hungry Chinese market waiting to soak up every drop even at a fair discount. Who wouldn't bounce at the opportunity to get cheap oil? This was how Venezuela and Iran circumvented the western ban on their oil. The Chinese and Indian market alone would dwarf any shortfall an outright EU ban on Russian oil might bring. We saw this playbook in 2021, when Chinese buyers gorged on cheap oil from Iran and Venezuela, taking the most from the U.S.-sanctioned regimes in three years. Observed imports were 324 million barrels that year, a rise of 53%, according to data and analytics firm Kpler. In fact, since the start of the Ukrainian war, India have already purchased 13 millions barrels of Russian Ural oil.

On agriculture, Russia is the number one producer of wheat in the world while Ukraine ranks 5th. Russia ranks 6th in global corn production while Ukraine ranks 5th. On Barley production, Russia ranks 2nd after the EU with Ukraine a distant behind. Ukraine and Russian leads in Sunflower production.

So, as you can see, Russia is also a major force to reckon with on global agricultural scale. A country that is technologically advance, mostly self-sufficient in healthcare needs, produces its own foods, and is completely energy self-sufficient, can never be intimidated by sectional sanctions nor can it be ever isolated as some dimwits would want you to believe. Why? Because it's a global player and many other parts of the world needs it inputs to thrive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by WATCHOVER(m): 9:32pm On Apr 04, 2022
VictorUSA:
I guess you didn't read the news that the US bought russian oil in a cheaper price and sold it to european allies.
That is why those European Allies should know that United States are the evil eye
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VirileNelly2420: 9:34pm On Apr 04, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

So they’re trying to immigrate to Nigeria?

Am trying so say, don't read extra meeting to Russians migrating to US. Cos even Americans still migrate to Africa, even to our darling naija.

... clearer?

Who knows, maybe Naija fit grow balls someday and close our borders against dem grin grin.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by AllKnowing: 9:39pm On Apr 04, 2022
Igbofam:

The effect is much less in EU because they are not facing sanctions so can replenish baby food or basically anything through imports from all over the world.

On the other hand Russia is facing immense sanctions so cannot readily replenish stock.

The only areas EU are feeling the crunch is when it comes to those items they used to import from Russia. Now they diversify.

Russia is doomed and even Putin knows it. Their economy is expected to shrink by a whopping 15% this year and this would totally wipe out 15yrs of their growth. grin

EU is facing inflation of between 5% and 8%. But Russians are are having to cope with inflation of 20%.

Even their central bank has massively hiked interest rates to 20% grin

This is Russias worst economic chaos since the 1990s when their economy tanked by just 7%. This time it will be 15% this 2022 and that trend will continue in 2023. grin

We can effectively start reciting the requiem for Russia if this continues grin

grin grin

Even toddlers in Russia will laugh at all these assertions you’ve made sitting in Ikorodu, Lagos State.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VictorUSA(m): 9:41pm On Apr 04, 2022
WATCHOVER:

That is why those European Allies should know that United States are the evil eye
I smiled in arabic.Not black ax?
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VirileNelly2420: 9:45pm On Apr 04, 2022
gambojimeta:

So those Americans are coming in as refugees shey?
What do u mean refugees?

That's just a name d Americans chose to call dem. Dey're there as normal migrants. Some going for business, tourism, to see a family member, or for greener pasture. Even as a spy. Yes! Russia needs to intensify dia spying on US. Don't u tink so?

U feet come my house tomorrow for business, we take pics, wen u live, I post d pictures online nd tell people da u came to beg for alms. U may not even know about my actions tok more of having d chance to contradict my caption.

Wots deceiving nd confusing u is "the caption" given to diz Russian migrants by the US.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Woman Obsessed With Murder TV Shows And Books, Killed Victim 'Out Of Curiosity' / Man Reunited With Chilean Mother 42 Years After Kidnapping / Thousands Of Muslims Protest Against Isis And Terrorism In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.