Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,748 members, 7,820,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus (31289 Views)

Niger: Junta Re-opens Borders With Neighbours, Excludes Nigeria, Benin Rep / Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus / Ukrainians Angry As Putin Offers Evacuation Routes Lead To Russia And Belarus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by kushme: 9:46pm On Apr 04, 2022
BKayy:

The trash you just vomited shows how stupid your orientation is.

That your little statistics stands because of dollar influence. With it out of the way, the world will go back to good old days of Gold and resources. That is why we have been campaigning for Africa to wake up. This unprecedented change will see the West, especially Britain and France negotiate with African resource and gold respectively. You now see why Mali is on my list.

BTW, China accumulated USA treasury securities of about 1 trillion dollars, effectively making USA a debtor to the Chinese.

And last but not the least, China have not invaded Taiwan because of sanctions but because they are not yet sure that they can take on USA Navy. Once it becomes certain, Taiwan will be reunited with mainland China where she belongs.

Respect Sir, you sabi something. Even the Chinese are even worried with such amount in US treasury.. The dollar is just money backed by debt. With inflation the value will reduce. China is investing in other currency like euro and safe haven matals like Gold and copper..

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by roGF22(m): 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2022
RichMelanin:
What more sanctions could they throw in

;DGazprombank is still untouched, oil and gas export still untouched, some banks still using SWIFT, their ambassadors and family still untouched, visa application with Russian citizens with link to the military or have served in the ministry still untouched, extended families or even wife, children (especially those once still schooling in Europe, america[center][/center], still untouched, sanctions on their health sector not done yet ...lol
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:51pm On Apr 04, 2022
VirileNelly2420:

Am trying so say, don't read extra meeting to Russians migrating to US. Cos even Americans still migrate to Africa, even to our darling naija.

... clearer?

Who knows, maybe Naija fit grow balls someday and close our borders against dem grin grin.

That’ll never happen, at least not in your lifetime.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by CoronaVirusPro: 9:52pm On Apr 04, 2022
olalat:
Stop arguing ignorantly nah. Its not by force to type pls

Take facts I mentioned to the bank. Its undisputable

China will NEVER break relationship with the US cos of an empty Russia
German economy is bigger than entire Russia
Germany is a bigger exporter than entire Russia
LNG and crude is not a scarce resource. Its littering the world and new reserves being discovered yearly
Russia, North Korea and Venezuela are poverty stricken nation ruled by dictatorship

If I tell you more, an average Nigerian is doing far better than a Russian. What's in Russia? Nuclear bombs?

What do they produce? Lots that import technology like the way Nigeria imports everything. What sector of life is Russia relevant? Please dont tell me wheat and crude oil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by adm212144: 9:53pm On Apr 04, 2022
seunny4lif:
Just replied made knew you don’t know what you are talking about.
Scholz is facing the biggest anti government even from pro Social Democratic Party of Germany regions.
I don’t need any MSM to tell what going on within EU.
Massive inflation in the history.
Farmers can’t produces much just because of massive high cost of fuel even though the EU have within the last 2 weeks spent over 5B to subsided oil prices.
OH boy,you are lying ,which farmer ,your dad or your mum ?
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by seunny4lif(m): 9:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
adm212144:
OH boy,you are lying ,which farmer ,your dad or your mum ?
Your mum cool

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by bizhop01: 9:57pm On Apr 04, 2022
All this European shit hole countries sef
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VirileNelly2420: 9:59pm On Apr 04, 2022
Igbofam:

Russia may be large but most of it is uninhabitable. It's just wasteland.
How do mean most? Plz say what u know. Book says Siberia is just d wasteland in Russia.

Meanwhile, I forgot to ask wot u meant by wasteland.

Well, Siberia is frozen for almost half of d year. People still live in some part of Siberia. I read it houses atleast 30million people (don't tell me it's a lie cos I know u haven't been to Russia not to talk of visiting Siberia). And it houses abundant mineral resources. I would've loved to show u some images of Siberia.

So, wots more?

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by VirileNelly2420: 10:01pm On Apr 04, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

That’ll never happen, at least not in your lifetime.

Lol... Don't say we can't.
You can only tell me we may not be able to stand d consequences.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by gambojimeta: 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2022
End of spring.

Maybe Putin will invade Finland too since he has warned Finland and Sweden grin

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by gambojimeta: 10:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
VirileNelly2420:

How do mean most? Plz say what u know. Book says Siberia is just d wasteland in Russia.

Meanwhile, I forgot to ask wot u meant by wasteland.

Well, Siberia is frozen for almost half of d year. People still live in some part of Siberia. I read it houses atleast 30million people (don't tell me it's a lie cos I know u haven't been to Russia not to talk of visiting Siberia). And it houses abundant mineral resources. I would've loved to show u some images of Siberia.

So, wots more?
He is saying that alot of Russian land is not habitable.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by starstunna1313(m): 10:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
seunny4lif:

When gas and electricity is up to over 50%?
Lesser when Germany government have spent around 13B less than a month just to subsidy oil and gas bills and fuel.
Irish government announced that the fuel subsidy can only last till April meaning price pump will hit at least 3E per L

Oga we were using Russia for comparison. We all know that their in inflation everywhere in the world now. But the guy was saying the inflation is more in the west than Internally in Russia

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by grandstar(m): 10:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
Appleyard:

At least, you made sense and argue maturely unlike some of the kids we have in here that argue from a point of emotions.

Now, let's get this straight.

Russia did not put anyone at Putin's mercy. Rather, it's the EU beurocrats that is putting themselves at the mercy of Russian exports. There is a reason why the EU is divided when it comes to banning Russian oil and gas. Not only would they be committing economic and political suicides, the fact is, there is no good alternative to Russian oil and gas, and weaning themselves off Russian gas is not just feasible at least for the next 5 years for the major European economies. If that's the consequences they want to damn, well, no one is holding them; they can proceed. cool

Moreover, if the EU nations stop buying Russian oil and gas today, of course, Russia export reserves will be squeezed, but it will also drive oil prices higher, as global supply constricts without Russian oil. The price of a barrel of oil went past $110 weeks ago even as the EU debated its moves. Analysts have warned that prices could touch $200; even more dramatically, Russia has warned of $300 oil if the EU halts oil and gas imports.

According to European Central Bank estimates, a 10% gas shortfall will trigger a 0.7% contraction in GDP. A total ban on Russian energy is likely to shove the EU into recession, Rishi Sunak, the UK’s chancellor of the exchequer, warned last week. And the effects will spread, Sunak said; the UK economy would take nearly a $100 billion hit, or about 3% of its GDP. So, Europe will be the one to suffer more. The reason is obvious: you cannot replace 'cheap' oil and gas.

Russia isn't really desperately looking for buyers for its oil. Lmao. grin The US, Canada and Australia aside, the EU is just 27 nations, out of the 44 countries in Europe, and not all of them subscribed to banning Russian oil, e.g, Turkey and Hungary. The remaining 17 countries don't care from who they buy their oil. Plus, there is southeast Asia market, with the ever oil and gas hungry Chinese market waiting to soak up every drop even at a fair discount. Who wouldn't bounce at the opportunity to get cheap oil? This was how Venezuela and Iran circumvented the western ban on their oil. The Chinese and Indian market alone would dwarf any shortfall an outright EU ban on Russian oil might bring. We saw this playbook in 2021, when Chinese buyers gorged on cheap oil from Iran and Venezuela, taking the most from the U.S.-sanctioned regimes in three years. Observed imports were 324 million barrels that year, a rise of 53%, according to data and analytics firm Kpler. In fact, since the start of the Ukrainian war, India have already purchased 13 millions barrels of Russian Ural oil.

On agriculture, Russia is the number one producer of wheat in the world while Ukraine ranks 5th. Russia ranks 6th in global corn production while Ukraine ranks 5th. On Barley production, Russia ranks 2nd after the EU with Ukraine a distant behind. Ukraine and Russian leads in Sunflower production.

So, as you can see, Russia is also a major force to reckon with on global agricultural scale. A country that is technologically advance, mostly self-sufficient in healthcare needs, produces its own foods, and is completely energy self-sufficient, can never be intimidated by sectional sanctions nor can it be ever isolated as some dimwits would want you to believe. Why? Because it's a global player and many other parts of the world needs it inputs to thrive.

The sanctions placed on Russia are devastating. They are enough to crush any economy, even the USA. I seethe at Buhari's stupid policies that prevent me from spending more than $100 a month on my debit card. I can't also use PayPal. That is little me.

Now, Russia has been barred from SWIFT! That means debit cards won't work. Engaging in international trade is now very hard. Also, most countries are terrified helping Russia break sanctions. They are extremely weary lest they the face the wrath of the US, EU, Japan, South Korea and even Taiwan.

If the pain on the EU or USA is 10,that of Russia is like a 100. The Russian economy has practically collapsed. Iran and Venezuelans are not living like kings. The Venezuelan economy is in complete shambles, actually caused by chronic mismanagement and not really the sanctions.

Iran isn't an economic paradise. Their economy isn't doing well at all. There is huge brain drain. There's a massive drug addiction problem which is symptomic of feelings economic hopelessness many Iranians face.

Self sufficiency does not make you rich. It actually does the opposite. International trade is what makes countries wealthy. The more self reliant you are, the poorer you actually are.

Wages have collapsed in Russia and people are losing jobs. Forget all the rosy picture you're painting. They are in for a very hard time.

Why is the EU and USA hard on Russian energy exports you may ask? Because Putin has long used it as a weapon and their fed up of it. That's why they made the first move. To a good extent, it's counterproductive but Russia is really feeling the pain. The EU may have to backtrack a bit.

I am sure the average Russian would love to kick Putin out but the tyrant is going nowhere. Just like in Iran, Venuezela and Iraq under Saddam, the tyrant will hold on to power through the barrel of a gun. Russians are a hardy bunch and will have no choice but to suck it up.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 10:09pm On Apr 04, 2022
BKayy:

You really need to collect the fees paid to your geography teacher back.

Are you talking about the same Russia that borders more than 14 countries and also have maritime border with USA?

What exactly is Azerbaijan for?

The guy is just an emotional Ukrainian propagandist who think Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia has ''completely isolated'' a country the size of Russia. grin I wanted to help him see something but decided against it because he is always too pompous to accept his errors. cool On the contrary, it is Russia that has the capability to cut off the three Baltic states from the rest of Europe.

The guy is very funny.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by seunny4lif(m): 10:12pm On Apr 04, 2022
starstunna1313:

Oga we were using Russia for comparison. We all know that their in inflation everywhere in the world now. But the guy was saying the inflation is more in the west than Internally in Russia
Well is on both side.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Babinski: 10:12pm On Apr 04, 2022
BKayy:

LOL countries of combined landmass of less than 500,000 km2 "completely isolating" a country of 17 million Km2.

Lol who was your geography teacher?

Russia is a continent. She is even bigger than the whole of Europe. Like almost times two

Isn't it ironic that it is you that should be asked who was your geography teacher?

Russia is largely bordered by several seas and apart from Ukraine, those countries (Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) are the major gateway to Europe by land for Russia and Belarus. The circuitous and alternative routes through Finland or Georgia by land to get to Europe is clearly going to be torture.

I have attached a map for you to see clearly into the issue and know the true impact of the closure of the borders of those countries on Russia's connectiion to Europe by land.

1 Like

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by MDK777: 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
[quote author=Igbofam post=111641772]

The effect is much less in EU because they are not facing sanctions so can replenish baby food or basically anything through imports from all over the world.

On the other hand Russia is facing immense sanctions so cannot readily replenish stock.

The only areas EU are feeling the crunch is when it comes to those items they used to import from Russia. Now they diversify.

Russia is doomed and even Putin knows it. Their economy is expected to shrink by a whopping 15% this year and this would totally wipe out 15yrs of their growth. grin

EU is facing inflation of between 5% and 8%. But Russians are are having to cope with inflation of 20%.

Even their central bank has massively hiked interest rates to 20% grin

This is Russias worst economic chaos since the 1990s when their economy tanked by just 7%. This time it will be 15% this 2022 and that trend will continue in 2023. grin

Una Go Do CalCuLaTiOn Finish Una Go Still Fail WoeFulLy

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
VirileNelly2420:

Lol... Don't say we can't.
You can only tell me we may not be able to stand d consequences.

I’ll repeat myself. That’ll never happen, at least in your lifetime.
And that happening would have little to no impact on America or it’s people.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by RichMelanin: 10:30pm On Apr 04, 2022
roGF22:

;DGazprombank is still untouched, oil and gas export still untouched, some banks still using SWIFT, their ambassadors and family still untouched, visa application with Russian citizens with link to the military or have served in the ministry still untouched, extended families or even wife, children (especially those once still schooling in Europe, america[center][/center], still untouched, sanctions on their health sector not done yet ...lol

The things you listed can’t arm an economy except from the oil and gas sector as well as the bank, the central bank has already been sanctioned what more harm can be done with the commercial banks been sanctioned, one thing you should know, they would always be a way, financial system always have poop holes as for the oil and gas sector we both in that’s not going to happen
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by toxtimmy: 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2022
Bros.. i hear you but south Africa is ahead of the curve with respect to euroasia... that's where BRICS comes in... They are the core foundation of BRICS.

kushme:

Bros, I believe every line you dropped. Immediately to talked about visionless Africa with the exception of South Africa. I raise hand for you.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by ribado79(m): 10:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
THEY SHOULD STOP NUKE FROM PASSING THERE SPACE
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by richeeyo(m): 10:44pm On Apr 04, 2022
gambojimeta:

grin grin grin
True story

Russia that was minimum wage was extremely low before the invasion sef. The previous sanction was still hammering them only for Putin to request more sanctions grin

I.agine Russians fleeing to the mighty USA

I was shocked when I learnt that USAID was in Russia. I though they I my operated in shithole and poor countries
Thanks for the website evidence
This guy says Russia supply the whole Europe with glocery, very funny how some think Russia is so economically buoyant
Even milliitary wise they dem useless
Na those guys go figth Americans abi ���
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by kushme: 11:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
toxtimmy:
Bros.. i hear you but south Africa is ahead of the curve with respect to euroasia... that's where BRICS comes in... They are the core foundation of BRICS.

I mean, I raise hand for you(in respect). I knew about BRICS countries and saw your points clearly. One of the BRICS mission is to reduce the use of dollars in global trading..

Like someone said, there is a something hooge(huge) beyond this Russo-ukraine war that people don't know..

Respect to you( toxtimmy) and BKayy and Appleyard.
Great contributions

2 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by lana1878(m): 11:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
Europe on the path of selfdestruct, the kind of hinder and hardship that will hit us is doing push up..

These US sponsored political office holders are so stupid. Putting their personal gains over their electorates.
Igbofam:

https://news.az/news/poland-latvia-lithuania-and-estonia-closing-borders-with-russia-belarus
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by toxtimmy: 11:13pm On Apr 04, 2022
Sleepy Joe is your president...lol...go brandon!..Even Buhari is on top of president game compared to your president.

Look at your president pekin when dey collect egunje from China and Ukraine for your president...10% for the big guy he said...lol...president for your village na im be.

second rate citizen of american na him you be... na your kind full prison (aka the new cotton farm in america)... you think say because you carry american passport you be american...lol...i am sure na people like you go say they are not black or from nigeria because you go america.

i no follow you drag amaerica... buhari na my country president even though the guy mumu and evil like devil but at the end of the day i no go sell my birth land because i go oyinbo land like you...you belong in the cotton farm.

UpLoyo:

You're a grade A, undiluted re.tard. Just because it's NL means everyone posting is in Nigeria? Typical Putin's monkey. Does Buhari live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, because that's where my President lives. Stu.pid jackasss. Why don't you just move to Russia, you this demented old circus monkey.
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by adeolaben(m): 11:31pm On Apr 04, 2022
ifytrik:
We are more concerned about this ghost for now please
That your picture emmmmm " tis.man you are a failure" bihari

. I wan laugh. die
... Any ways, make.i.dey go.my.tomato.farm now...... I must cash out soonest
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by TWoods(m): 11:42pm On Apr 04, 2022
Sirlancelort:

They are out of sanctions, unfortunately for them the initial sanctions imposed on the Kremlin are no longer effective, the EU and USA are even filling the heat more than Kremlin.
Mean while has anyone seen Biden lately?,

He’s in the White House bud…
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by leathalbeast: 11:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
Appleyard:

Ordinary cucumber has vanished from UK stores, while UK, Spain, Germany and French government have started paying billions of money to subsidize energy prices, yet other commodities prices are skyrocketing. In fact, food prices are expected to hit 50% this coming week. The US have quietly lift a ban on Russian fertilizer because they couldn't find alternatives. Meanwhile, the Ruble keep soaring driving Poland to cry out in disbelief that the initial sanctions have failed to achieve their aims. Uncle Sam was forced to release oil from their reserve in a bid to cushion the rising cost of oil, gas and commodity cost in the states.

The most funny of the day is Germany considering expropriating Gazprom because it is irreplaceable in the German economy. cool. The Germans just confessed that Russian gas is irreplaceable in their economy, something we have known all along. cool

Reality is a bad bitch that ditches out confessions like a crash-landing witch. cool
even heard that they bought oil from russia last week, double of what they normally buy.

3 Likes

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 12:42am On Apr 05, 2022
[quote author=grandstar post=111653101]

The sanctions placed on Russia are devastating. They are enough to crush any economy, even the USA. I seethe at Buhari's stupid policies that prevent me from spending more than $100 a month on my debit card. I can't also use PayPal. That is little me.

This is funny at best. cool If the sanctions are so devastating as you claimed, why is Poland crying that the sanctions have failed? Besides, the face view of any sanction effect is how it reflects on a nation's national currency. Initially, the sanctions took their effects on the Russian economy in the first few weeks, with the Ruble falling so low to about 120 to one dollar. But today, it's back to pre-invasion value and even getting stronger. What does that tell you? Sanctions don't work against a nation the stature of Russia. You said it yourself that the sanctions are enough to cripple any economy, but they haven't. Rather, those who imposed it are the ones feeling the heat. This is because the nation concerned is one that transcend three continent, and is technologically advance, agriculturally self-sufficient and energy self-sufficient, and much more, geopolitically influential. As much as you would like to hate it, a nation like Russia cannot be crippled by sanctions. Period.

Now, Russia has been barred from SWIFT! That means debit cards won't work. Engaging in international trade is now very hard. Also, most countries are terrified helping Russia break sanctions. They are extremely weary lest they the face the wrath of the US, EU, Japan, South Korea and even Taiwan.

Not all Russian banks are excluded from SWIFT. In fact, they left some because the EU needs them to pay for its gas and oil. Moreover, Mastercard and VISA aren't the only ones operating in the country. And the moment they left, Chinese debit and credit card companies swiftly replaced them. cool

The Russians and the Chinese have their own equivalent of the SWIFT system which any country dealing with them can use to bypass such restrictions. Plus there are many ways to workaround this restrictions. How do you think Venezuela, Iran, and the worst, North Korea have been getting money to fund their economy? Gone are the days when the world revolves around Uncle Sam and its lap dogs in Europe.

Lmao. Please, list the nations that are terrified to do business with Russia because of what US might do to them. On the contrary, no one gives a fuvk about what Uncle Sam thinks or does.

Turkey, a NATO and European country refused to imposed sanctions on Russia and is actively working with Russia on many projects. Hungary don't give a dime about what the US thinks or say. In fact, it has vowed to veto any attempt by the EU to ban Russian gas. Japan, South Korea, and a host of others that placed symbolic sanctions against Russia in the wake of the Ukraine brouhaha are still very much doing bigger business with Russia. India has so far purchased 13 million barrels of oil since the Ukraine war began. While the war and sanctions were flying left and right, nations are sealing deals with Russia. Pakistan President stormed the kremlin and sealed a multi billion dollar pipeline trade deal with Russia. Let's not even talk about China's $400 billion gas and pipeline project deal with Russia. Brazil have struck a mutual defense deal with Russia for the provision of nuclear submarines. Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE stood symbolically with Russia by refusing to pick Biden's calls. In fact, all the gulf states simply turn their backs on the US and its quest to isolate Russia. You want to know why? The Saudis and other oil powers invited Russia to form an expanded group known as “OPEC+,” to control output and ensure a stable, profitable oil market. The group was created to counter the effect of America’s boom in shale production. The Gulf Arab states don’t want to jeopardize that arrangement over the war in Ukraine, and see Russia as an important “linchpin” for the oil producing coalition.

Algeria has paid for the S-400 and awaiting delivery despite US sanction threat. In fact, at least 13 countries have expressed interest in buying a Russian missile system instead of platforms made by American companies, despite the potential for triggering U.S. sanctions. Countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Morocco, Egypt, Vietnam, and Iraq have all discussed buying the S-400 missile system from Russia. Many countries in Africa, Asia and South America and doing business with Russia. No one cares about what Uncle Sam wants or thinks; the world has long gone beyond that.

If the pain on the EU or USA is 10,that of Russia is like a 100. The Russian economy has practically collapsed. Iran and Venezuelans are not living like kings. The Venezuelan economy is in complete shambles, actually caused by chronic mismanagement and not really the sanctions.
Stop feeding yourself with lies. The Russian economy has not collapse. Rather, its has proved so resilient as evident in the Rouble swift rise. Venezuela do not have to live like kings to thrive as a nation. How many nations are living like kings in the world yet are thriving? If Venezuela and its economy has really collapsed, I see no reason why they shouldn't jump at the opportunity of mending ties with the US and having some of its sanctions lifted when Biden recently sent a high-level team to Caracas to seek their help in their frantic bid to replace Russian oil. But alas, Venezuela gave them the middle finger because it hardly needs them anymore. Russia, China, Iran, Cuba and Turkey have been helping Venezuela to circumvent the sanctions as such that Maduro was bold enough to tell the US officials to go to hell.

Iran isn't an economic paradise. Their economy isn't doing well at all. There is huge brain drain. There's a massive drug addiction problem which is symptomic of feelings economic hopelessness many Iranians face.

No one is saying Iran is an economic paradise. But this is the 21st century, the world has become a global village highly interconnected. So gone are the days when some 'holier than thou' sinful states can wake up and cripple a nation with sanctions. Sanctions still bite, but they have their limits. Moreover, more state actors are increasingly focusing on pursuing their core security and economic interest first rather than pleasing the oversize foreign policy ego of a holier than thou nation.

Instead of Sanctions to cripple Iran as the west envisaged, it unfortunately makes it self-sufficient in many areas. It became so technologically advanced that it was able to develop its own 'missile city' and was bold and precise enough to target and hit US military bases in Iraq without a single retaliation. It was able to spend billions to prop its ally in Syria in spite of such crucial sanctions. That's certainly not a nation with a collapse economy. Sanctions are overrated.

Self sufficiency does not make you rich. It actually does the opposite. International trade is what makes countries wealthy. The more self reliant you are, the poorer you actually are.

Lmao. grin If you are not self-sufficient in a particular area, how would you have something to trade internationally in that area? grin On the contrary, self-sufficiency is the precursor to becoming wealthy. You can't trade what you don't have.

Wages have collapsed in Russia and people are losing jobs. Forget all the rosy picture you're painting. They are in for a very hard time.

Companies in Europe are laying off workers right now, and many of the key EU states are already drawing from their financial reserves and paying subsidies on rising cost of commodities which has exceeded wages purchasing ability. Sanctions are a two edged sword. Stop painting a fairytale picture like it's only in Russia it's happening. People are already protesting in European cities.

Why is the EU and USA hard on Russian energy exports you may ask? Because Putin has long used it as a weapon and their fed up of it. That's why they made the first move. To a good extent, it's counterproductive but Russia is really feeling the pain. The EU may have to backtrack a bit.

Nonsense! Every country use what it has politically and economically as leverage. In fact, no one does it better than the US and EU. Unless you want us to believe that sanctions are not political and economic leverage.

I am sure the average Russian would love to kick Putin out but the tyrant is going nowhere. Just like in Iran, Venezuela and Iraq under Saddam, the tyrant will hold on to power through the barrel of a gun. Russians are a hardy bunch and will have no choice but to suck it up.

Really? Sorry to disappoint you, Putin's popularity rating just reached a new high, and even one of the most russophobicly bias and famous western media paper couldn't help taking note: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/world/europe/putin-approval-rating-russia.html

Currently, no leader in the west enjoyed such nor has ever reached such approval rating of 83 percent cool. According to you and the west, Putin is a tyrant, meaning about 88 million Russians have tyrant-loving gene. cool. The thing is, the people love their 'tyrant' same way the Hungarian people love their 'thug' prime minister. cool Sadly, sleeping Joe's approval rating is a meager 34 percent. grin

Pathetic. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by Appleyard(m): 12:50am On Apr 05, 2022
Babinski:

Isn't it ironic that it is you that should be asked who was your geography teacher?

Russia is largely bordered by several seas and apart from Ukraine, those countries (Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) are the major gateway to Europe by land for Russia and Belarus. The circuitous and alternative routes through Finland or Georgia by land to get to Europe is clearly going to be torture.

I have attached a map for you to see clearly into the issue and know the true impact of the closure of the borders of those countries on Russia's connectiion to Europe by land.

At the bolded, are you honestly mistaking or deliberately misleading? What happen to the Russian-Belarusian land border? Or is Belarus no longer a European country? It takes just 8 hours 36 minutes to drive from Russia to Belarus. How about that? Or am I the one mistaking?
Re: Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus by osazsky(m): 12:51am On Apr 05, 2022
BKayy:

LOL countries of combined landmass of less than 500,000 km2 "completely isolating" a country of 17 million Km2.

Lol who was your geography teacher?

Russia is a continent. She is even bigger than the whole of Europe. Like almost times two
landmass is not a strength..seas..mountain...desert with the worst topography in the world is wat makes only 23 percent of its landmass inhabitable..population should be used instead..russia in terms of population is zero..lagos is bigger than zamfara Taraba and jos put together.u wont understand this..only economics students will

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Shooting At Munich Shopping Center In Germany, 6 Dead / Israel To Citizens: Supporters of our archenemy will be in Qatar, keep low profi / CNN Apologises For Spreading Israeli Fake News On 40 Babies Beheading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.