Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC (18859 Views)

What's The First Thing That Comes To Your Mind If You Got Scammed / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? / Ladies Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Judges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Mykelslim: 11:05am On Apr 09, 2022
Well said
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Richsteemit: 11:06am On Apr 09, 2022
guydangerous:
This one enter, time to start streaming video games on YouTube. cool

To get followers no easy for that one

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 09, 2022
Thank you. I totally agree.

That's how my mum lost customers because she was stuck in her ways. Refused to move with the times.

Duration: 58 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLZxP3MylGg
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by hopexter(m): 11:07am On Apr 09, 2022
Person wey do literature and linguistics Wetin you want make him sell? books?

After many years in uni and when it’s time to serve, you want them to unlearn everything and start afresh. What you said isn’t wrong but the system in the country doesn’t work like that.
Some lives became better from the little they saved from their allowee while in NYSC.

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Tapout(m): 11:07am On Apr 09, 2022
@ OP
But there are people who nysc has helped too. There are people who get deployed to really good PPAs and after service, they were retained and are doing very well now. That it doesn't work for Mr A, doesn't mean it won't work for Mr B. And mind you, the scheme also has an age limit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by guydangerous(m): 11:08am On Apr 09, 2022
Richsteemit:

To get followers no easy for that one
I know,life na small small, as long as passion is there... followers no mean anything

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 09, 2022
guydangerous:
I know,life na small small, as long as passion is there... followers no mean anything

With all your passion, if people are not watching your videos, you'll soon become demotivated.

2 Likes

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by illicit(m): 11:11am On Apr 09, 2022
Most Nigerian youths shouldn't go to university

It's now a waste of time
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by SarutobiEky(m): 11:14am On Apr 09, 2022
Ebube98:
When you leave school, the first thing on your
to-do list shouldn't be going for NYSC.

The first thing should be loosening up your mind.

Stay with me...

An experiment was conducted with an elephant. The elephant was chained and tethered in a way that it could neither go free, nor afford much movement.

For weeks, the animal struggled but couldn't free itself. Until it finally accepted it's fate and decided to settle into the new life of bondage.

One day, the chains were removed and replaced with much weaker ropes. The elephant was tied in the same fashion with the ropes.

It shocked people around to see that the guy didn't even make any moves to break the ropes at all. In fact, the chains didn't just do a perfect job of holding him down, the chains held down his mentality.

With a single swipe, that elephant would have torn the rope into shreds, but its spirit was already broken. Look, the goal of this system isn't to give you a life you deserve. This system was built to oppress and suppress your dreams.

The sooner you realise it, the better. I cringe when I hear that first class, second class upper and whatever class graduates are earning N30k monthly and working 5-6 days a week.

Transporting to work and returning late.

With all the inflation? All the frustration?

Not cool at all. E no make sense

But you see... The system might drag you, rough handle you, beat you, injure. But don't allow your mindset to be chained.

There's this guy I follow here. He teaches maths here. The guy has this way of teaching maths and furthermaths principles such that even people who don't have a strong foundation in maths will understand easily.

Esomnofu is his name.

But aside his teaching techniques. I'm impressed with the way the guy leverages on the internet to build a business out of his teaching career.

He runs a YouTube channel, live streams on Facebook and Instagram. Sells small, affordable courses to secondary school students in and out of Nigeria.

He sells CDs in bulk to schools. He also gets invited to handle students from different schools around Nigeria .

Meanwhile... his comrades and colleagues, some who could even be better at teaching than he is , are scattered around Nigeria complaining that the government isn't paying salaries.

Oga is there, collecting funds from different sources proudly sponsored by the internet.

The point is... Focus a greater part of your energy thinking outside the box. Get creative, drop your academic knowledge and certificate for now. Go and learn very relevant skills.

Education is different from enlightenment and exposure o. Exposure is gained from practical and first-hand experience.

A lot of people will leave for camp this week, and after the next 3-4 weeks, majority of them will be earning the first salary they ever earned in their lives.

It will continue like that for one year. A lot of people will forget themselves and think it will last forever.

Some will think that, once they are done, a magical job of N250k/month will be waiting for them.

Just a handful will be lucky. The rest will be forced to face a very harsh reality check.

A lot of them will earn N33k/month for one year, and come back to earn N27,380 (after Tax)

I've seen it happen a lot.

Start unlearning the rubbish you learned in school. Especially the people who studied those courses that can "give you work anywhere".

Start building meaningful connections. Begin dey show your face.

The illiterates of the next generation won't be people who can't read or write .

But people who can't learn, unlearn and relearn things. Open your mind, embrace courses. Go for knowledge, keep taking in. Gradually work on implementing what you've learned.

I will never get tired of saying this - LEARN HOW TO SELL. This is not for people doing internet marketing alone. That guy that teaches maths, doesn't just know how to teach it. He knows how to sell his knowledge using 21st century tools.

His mates are out there thinking the only place they can sell their knowledge is within the walls of a classroom and it has to be for a salary.

Some of them have this unique way of teaching kids simple hacks to add and multiple big numbers. Some of them have tricks that could be taught to pupils to help them memorise the spelling of words.

Some persons here write the best short stories and poems. Learn how to package your stuff properly and sell online.

Whatever you do, don't be like his mates. Don't be like that elephant. Allow the system to bruise you and beat you, but win the battle in your mindset first.
OP can I please get the contact of the math tutor you mentioned in your post ?
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by guydangerous(m): 11:16am On Apr 09, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

With all your passion, if people are not watching your videos, you'll soon become demotivated.
nah,some of the video game Youtubers I follow had some rough start in the beginning (low views) but today they have 500k to 1m subscribers watching their videos.
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Chiedygirl: 11:16am On Apr 09, 2022
Can't fault this in anyway. Learn, unlearn, and Relearn. Most Nigerian students need
this mentality to rise above the mediocrity that's currently drowning them. Instead of adding more value to themselves through learning new skills after school or during school, they just want to be employed with the low quality knowledge they get from higher institutions, knowledge that can't value to any serious minded establishment. The university degree on its own today is almost valueless, if you want to live a legit comfortable life in this country after school, try adding more value to yourself by acquiring relevant paying skills before jumping into the money making marathon race.

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Kuriosmynd: 11:17am On Apr 09, 2022
Everyone can not be an internet entrepreneur.
..we can't all give up, the government has a place we msut join hands to reclaim our lands.
Can your entrepreneur give security? Or provide good business climate and favorable policy?
We need to redefine governance and take it back.
America and Europe dint become great countries by selling from the internet and becoming entrepreneur, it starts from government..
It's only few that can become entrepreneur, what should the rest do? Die?

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by anochuko01(m): 11:20am On Apr 09, 2022
I graduated in 2016 but i only finished Nysc this year. In between, i took time out to explore so many tech fields, travelled to the South and far north for jobs, read so many books and met alot of people. I spent my bus preparing myself for a particular job i had been eyeing since two years ago, and i got that very job less than one month after Nysc.

Jumping straight from school to Nysc then to labor market could be a huge disaster for so many, especially the ones that studied funny courses. It'll take a year or two before they get any direction at all.

2 Likes

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 09, 2022
guydangerous:
nah,some of the video game Youtubers I follow had some rough start in the beginning (low views) but today they have 500k to 1m subscribers watching their videos.

It doesn't mean they weren't discouraged/demotivated. They just kept at it wink

I'm sometimes discouraged with the views from my channels but I still upload.

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by guydangerous(m): 11:24am On Apr 09, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

It doesn't mean they weren't discouraged/demotivated. They just kept at it wink

I'm sometimes discouraged with the views from my channels but I still upload.
thats the goal, keep hitting until it gets to where it needs to go. What content are you into on YouTube?
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Onyiiobi7735(m): 11:28am On Apr 09, 2022
Ebube98:
When you leave school, the first thing on your
to-do list shouldn't be going for NYSC.

The first thing should be loosening up your mind.

Stay with me...

An experiment was conducted with an elephant. The elephant was chained and tethered in a way that it could neither go free, nor afford much movement.

For weeks, the animal struggled but couldn't free itself. Until it finally accepted it's fate and decided to settle into the new life of bondage.

One day, the chains were removed and replaced with much weaker ropes. The elephant was tied in the same fashion with the ropes.

It shocked people around to see that the guy didn't even make any moves to break the ropes at all. In fact, the chains didn't just do a perfect job of holding him down, the chains held down his mentality.

With a single swipe, that elephant would have torn the rope into shreds, but its spirit was already broken. Look, the goal of this system isn't to give you a life you deserve. This system was built to oppress and suppress your dreams.

The sooner you realise it, the better. I cringe when I hear that first class, second class upper and whatever class graduates are earning N30k monthly and working 5-6 days a week.

Transporting to work and returning late.

With all the inflation? All the frustration?

Not cool at all. E no make sense

But you see... The system might drag you, rough handle you, beat you, injure. But don't allow your mindset to be chained.

There's this guy I follow here. He teaches maths here. The guy has this way of teaching maths and furthermaths principles such that even people who don't have a strong foundation in maths will understand easily.

Esomnofu is his name.

But aside his teaching techniques. I'm impressed with the way the guy leverages on the internet to build a business out of his teaching career.

He runs a YouTube channel, live streams on Facebook and Instagram. Sells small, affordable courses to secondary school students in and out of Nigeria.

He sells CDs in bulk to schools. He also gets invited to handle students from different schools around Nigeria .

Meanwhile... his comrades and colleagues, some who could even be better at teaching than he is , are scattered around Nigeria complaining that the government isn't paying salaries.

Oga is there, collecting funds from different sources proudly sponsored by the internet.

The point is... Focus a greater part of your energy thinking outside the box. Get creative, drop your academic knowledge and certificate for now. Go and learn very relevant skills.

Education is different from enlightenment and exposure o. Exposure is gained from practical and first-hand experience.

A lot of people will leave for camp this week, and after the next 3-4 weeks, majority of them will be earning the first salary they ever earned in their lives.

It will continue like that for one year. A lot of people will forget themselves and think it will last forever.

Some will think that, once they are done, a magical job of N250k/month will be waiting for them.

Just a handful will be lucky. The rest will be forced to face a very harsh reality check.

A lot of them will earn N33k/month for one year, and come back to earn N27,380 (after Tax)

I've seen it happen a lot.

Start unlearning the rubbish you learned in school. Especially the people who studied those courses that can "give you work anywhere".

Start building meaningful connections. Begin dey show your face.

The illiterates of the next generation won't be people who can't read or write .

But people who can't learn, unlearn and relearn things. Open your mind, embrace courses. Go for knowledge, keep taking in. Gradually work on implementing what you've learned.

I will never get tired of saying this - LEARN HOW TO SELL. This is not for people doing internet marketing alone. That guy that teaches maths, doesn't just know how to teach it. He knows how to sell his knowledge using 21st century tools.

His mates are out there thinking the only place they can sell their knowledge is within the walls of a classroom and it has to be for a salary.

Some of them have this unique way of teaching kids simple hacks to add and multiple big numbers. Some of them have tricks that could be taught to pupils to help them memorise the spelling of words.

Some persons here write the best short stories and poems. Learn how to package your stuff properly and sell online.

Whatever you do, don't be like his mates. Don't be like that elephant. Allow the system to bruise you and beat you, but win the battle in your mindset first.
OP,you just spoke the bitter truth.
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by FuckDModz: 11:34am On Apr 09, 2022
Tech is the new “thing” for lazy bastards.
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Heterodox(m): 11:37am On Apr 09, 2022
One would think the OP is the richest man in his village.

Make everybody rest.

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 09, 2022
Go and do NYSC, OP, then you can sell.

Because the sad thing is, NYSC is very very importante.

You can do all the selling you want, skip NYSC...then tomorrow when you want to go for political office, that's when your enemies will bring up NYSC for your head.

Remember what happened to Ms Adeosun.

2 Likes

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 09, 2022
anochuko01:
I graduated in 2016 but i only finished Nysc this year. In between, i took time out to explore so many tech fields, travelled to the South and far north for jobs, read so many books and met alot of people. I spent my bus preparing myself for a particular job i had been eyeing since two years ago, and i got that very job less than one month after Nysc.

Jumping straight from school to Nysc then to labor market could be a huge disaster for so many, especially the ones that studied funny courses. It'll take a year or two before they get any direction at all.

But...you....did .....do....NYSC.

Better to do NYSC and get that stuff out of the way. It is just one measly year. Before they want to give you political post tomorrow, then someone you never knew remembers that you were not in camp, and kasalla burst.

3 Likes

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Emeka71(m): 11:56am On Apr 09, 2022
True talk.
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Wblord5: 12:03pm On Apr 09, 2022
Hmmn
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Richsteemit: 12:06pm On Apr 09, 2022
ashewoboy:

Una dey annoy me. With all the money you are making, you can not train somebody for free then the person will pay you later when he starts making money? Una be scam.

I just dey laugh grin. Some people can be very funny when they want market thier cheap scam business. U dey make 1.25 million u still dey find for people to teach. No be am at all grin grin

2 Likes

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 09, 2022
I don't regret going for nysc after school, cause it really helped to reduce the number of people that promised me a job whenever I finish nysc.
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:28pm On Apr 09, 2022
Tapout:
@ OP
But there are people who nysc has helped too. There are people who get deployed to really good PPAs and after service, they were retained and are doing very well now. That it doesn't work of Mr A, doesn't mean it won't work for Mr B. And mind you, the scheme also has an age limit.

True and not everyone can be creative.

This is why government must be ready to bridge the gap and we should stop giving government excuses if everyone is self employed who will be the buyer?
Age limit for the scheme is why I will not wholeheartedly agree with the OP some rushed to do their NYSC to japa and not look back wink
Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by anochuko01(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

But...you....did .....do....NYSC.

Better to do NYSC and get that stuff out of the way. It is just one measly year. Before they want to give you political post tomorrow, then someone you never knew remembers that you were not in camp, and kasalla burst.

Did you read the post at all?
Nobody isn't saying you shouldn't do Nysc, but get your life figured out before going for the program.

The weight of responsibility and expectation is usually high, difficulty to change career, lack of time, lack of quality work experience years after nysc etc. How many people dey get political appointment?

Six months to one year after school is enough to figure out one's life before going for nysc. And that one year would just be used to better prepare yourself for job placements.

1 Like

Re: When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 09, 2022
anochuko01:

Did you read the post at all?
Nobody isn't saying you shouldn't do Nysc, but get your life figured out before going for the program.

The weight of responsibility and expectation is usually high, difficulty to change career, lack of time, lack of quality work experience years after nysc etc. How many people dey get political appointment?

Six months to one year after school is enough to figure out one's life before going for nysc. And that one year would just be used to better prepare yourself for job placements.

Still do NYSC, and get it out of the way. Plus, some people don't have time to do as you have done...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer / Graduate Who Sells Food With A Wheelbarrow Reveals She Makes More Than Paidwork / Employees, Are We Going To See You In January Abi O Ti Lo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.