Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,966 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education (31991 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / I Wasted A Lot Of Time On The Internet - Lady Cries On Quora / Nigeria Has The Lowest Budget On Education, Here Are The Statistics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Dada4me: 9:33am On Apr 14, 2022
Your education is not a waste, this is why you are doing well where you are now.

That you're able to write this, all thanks to education.

You're in a better place than what you thought your area of specialization can give you all because you're educated. More opportunities lie ahead simply because you're educated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by ImoleNaija: 9:34am On Apr 14, 2022
E go beta
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by NapoleonHill: 9:35am On Apr 14, 2022
Vitamin17:
So u study all this things initially to use am make money grin. Oga no be so nah
Even abroad, na why people dey go school.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Oblongata: 9:35am On Apr 14, 2022
I studied in order to be a resourceful individual; not to make money…

I also have many certificates which does not align with what I am presently into. However, my certificates has made me to be the resourceful person who I am today. Please guys, study to be resourceful, you might get lucky along the line and get rich… but being rich is not a means to an end…

4 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by SocialJustice: 9:36am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.
I get your point but your university education taught you how to gather, process data and turn it into valuable information. I am referring to all the thesis you did. Has this skill not proven to be very valuable in whatever field you're working in?

University really isn't about the course you study but what you make of the knowledge gathered. University is also a great place to network.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by treesun: 9:36am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.

Continue to apply, your breakthrough will come!
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 14, 2022
That's why I laughed at folks that were gathering unnecessary professional certificates during nysc, are they using them now? I highly doubt. Waste of time.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:36am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Where you currently work, did you get in with WASC or Primary School Leaving Certificate?

Or you learn work as apprentice?

Can you even post on NL if you didn't go to school?

I feel the point you made about spending a whole lot on your education, but, Bruh, education is part of who you are right now.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by harmargedon: 9:38am On Apr 14, 2022
Siberia01:
undecided

It's only in Nigeria that education is the cause of poverty and backwardness

Each day the black race comes up with a suprise
ain't you surprised also that many broke niggas are educated undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Tonytonex(m): 9:38am On Apr 14, 2022
Vitamin17:
So u study all this things initially to use am make money grin. Oga no be so nah
honestly. Don't go to school sorely for the purpose of making money out of it. But to make yourself a better person and the society at large.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by PS712: 9:38am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
That education and exposure is reason you are where you are!
If you had concluded without stating that you are doing fine, my advice would have been for you to not focus on searching for hard to get employment, but you have past that already. The problem is going to school, coming out with good grades and believing the paper certificate will give you all you want, seeking for job and not finding any, and then remaining at that spot of 'permanent applicant' without trying out another venture, no matter how little...
Be gentle on yourself. Education is still the best legacy, humanly speaking.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by ofiko123(m): 9:39am On Apr 14, 2022
Na you know o..
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by HopeSpencer: 9:40am On Apr 14, 2022
You're not alone. The useless education I acquired made me a nobody.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by asobo1: 9:40am On Apr 14, 2022
Wow shocked the op reminds me of one of our foremost professors back then in school. His qualification goes as thus

*Bachelor in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

*Masters in Management Science

***Doctorate in Operational Research

He earned the above degree in University of Boston and Warwick UK within the span of 8years in the year 1985 and returned back to Nigeria to begin a lecturing job. He became a full professor in the year 2009 which in the university structure is a long time. From information we heard, though he was deserving of a professor but the challenge he had was what field would his professorship fall under.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Emmanuelezee350: 9:40am On Apr 14, 2022
Solid Boerboel puppies available available for new homes

DM ME ASAP ON +2349121836958 IF INTERESTED FOR MORE INFO

SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE PLEASE

Location ANAMBRA

AFFORDABLE PRICE

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by faithfull18(f): 9:41am On Apr 14, 2022
Not totally true as there are some opportunities you won't have access to without the certificates and some sef without good grades.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Eriokanmi: 9:42am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

As a sociology graduate, you should have developed yourself in the education sector...by now you'd have become a senior lecturer in a university, doing well. You can't study sociology and expect an employment in a blue chip, FMCG company, or manufacturing companies. You can't be hired as a marketer, an accountant , an admin personnel, a quality control personnel, etc., when you studied sociology. Banking is another profession where you can work with any qualification, but they're not doing direct hiring anymore. They now outsource employment and the agents pay their staff a paltry. Our choice and course of study at times influence our chances of employment. I was to study marketing in those days. Only 2 universities in Nigeria were offering this course as degree while others offered it as diploma. Uniport and Unical were those 2 universities. I decided to go to a polytechnic instead, not because I was dull as most people think about poly students but because of my personal choice. I beat Unical cut off point but I knew the course was better studied in a poly due to my research. The one year Industrial Training experience too wasn't there in the university. I had my IT in a foremost FMCG company who also employed me a few years after I graduated as a regional rep after working with a couple of foremost companies due to my outstanding performance during my IT year. Today, I've earned MSc and MBA in foremost universities in the world. The choice we make at times matters. It's not just about going to the university but to study what and why that course...

It's never too late bro. If you had a good grade, apply to any of the universities ( private ones to be precise) . You'd get a job earlier than you think.

It's not good to advise youths against going to school instead, advise them to think before choosing that course. Some ,out of the pressure from their peers...maybe they couldn't succeed in studying the course they preferred at one trial, they now gave up and went for any how course just to earn the title of a university student. This is very bad. You dont give up because you failed rather you try again . I've seen soneome who wrote jamb 4 times to study medicine. Today, he's a medical doctor in the UK, doing well. His friends who couldn't endure the wait had to choose another course which they ended up regretting. One of them dropped out in ife as a biochem student.

Good luck to you bro.

6 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by NOwazobia: 9:43am On Apr 14, 2022
I can bet that if you were not educated, you wouldn't not be considered employable in that different sphere you are working in, and earn a good living.

The edge you have was that you were educated, more still you were educated in various skills and a master for further boosting.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by dettolgel: 9:43am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I don't think you made good assessments of the contributions of your education towards your current source of livelihood. You may not have been using those certificates but to a large extend the person you are today are mostly forged through the experience you gathered while studying.

1. While baging those certificates you learned to be self starter and self sufficient. But one you have disciplined yourself to start a task and see it to the end. Which is very useful in being successful in whatever you chose to do in life. Not many people have that quality.

2. You have learned to work with people from different backgrounds through group work. Working in a group requires interpersonal skills which not so many people have. I can guarantee you that this is one of the thing you learn in schools. How to effectively work with serious and unserious students and effectively complete your task in a timely manner.

3. Setting priorities. While at home our parents/guardians decide what needs to be done and when exactly. But out there in school you become the manager of time. Whether to go "toast" Bola today or collect one round from Nkechi tomorrow evening or just focus read my book since I get exam the day after tomorrow and Knack NK after the exam and toast Bola when you get back next semester when you are fresh and with money. This are skills you acquired without even knowing that you are doing that. I have seen people that can't prioritise and those that can hardly make decisions or think on their feet.

Brother if you look inward you will realise that the version of you today has improved greatly as you wade your way through those institutions.
Edit:

4. Critical thinking skills this one of the skills you acquired going through school and unconsciously apply it in other aspect of your lives.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by kazyhm(m): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2022
The op is an educated certificates holder. It is not surprising that he didn't understand the basis of learning the alphabets A B C and the numerics 1, 2 3 etc.

It is very sad that qualified individual mistakes purpose for reason and on top of that, are convinced it is important to confidently expressed their literacy mental disorientation perhaps, thinking it's a display of smartness.

You acquired all manner of unrelated skills and you're not ashame that you understand none of them in term of applicability and your deficiency in innovative creative ideas......but because you are financially buoyant, you feel like an authority to speak on the relevance of formal education.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 14, 2022
School na scam
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by SeriouslySense(m): 9:46am On Apr 14, 2022
Money was your goal so, cheesy cheesy cheesy, so maybe you wasted your time, going through all those certificates grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Deicide: 9:46am On Apr 14, 2022
I was wondering how he jumped for sociology to statistics? Why?

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Shadysen: 9:47am On Apr 14, 2022
Not only you, that's how one of my friend felt, I told him not to give up, me that don't have that chance am looking for it but no way.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by SeriouslySense(m): 9:49am On Apr 14, 2022
smiley smiley smiley Yes that's true, let me poorly guess, statistics for sociology grin grin grin, unless he wanted to get into the ministry of information, or was thinking of going into data science, hence statistics as prerequisite.

Deicide:
I was wondering how he jumped for sociology to statistics? Why?

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Freeko4: 9:50am On Apr 14, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
Your academic history is quite muddled. It is an apt description of "Jack of All Trades and Master of None" and that appears to be your Achilles heel.

Sociology- Statistics- Demography- Financial Risk Management- Oil and Gas services etc are your academic certificates.

When I read your story I reasoned the compelling relationship between Sociology and Financial Risk management and I couldn't arrive at something substantial.

Your resume appears like that of a person who was told while choosing their career that their discipline does not matter if they have a certificate and sponsor.

The best practice is to hold unto one or two trades and make the best out of them, Good Luck.

its better to be jack of all trade than being master of one because it pays to be versatile.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by another1: 9:52am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Well said bro
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by zuchyblink(m): 9:52am On Apr 14, 2022
The model of Education in Nigeria is becoming obsolete. If it is not a professional course forget tertiary formal education. I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Change Your Jamb Details- Phone Number/ Email 2018/2019 Academic Session / Kaduna Poly Student Falls From 3-Storey Building In Kaduna / Female Children Are More Beneficial To The Family Than Male Children-oppose

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.