Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,606 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education (31979 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / I Wasted A Lot Of Time On The Internet - Lady Cries On Quora / Nigeria Has The Lowest Budget On Education, Here Are The Statistics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:30am On Apr 14, 2022
gracealonev:
And do you think you would have got the job if you didn't attend university?

I think an ordinary BSC would have sufficed,those other degrees are irrelevant to what I do
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:32am On Apr 14, 2022
dettolgel:

I don't think you made good assessments of the contributions of your education towards your current source of livelihood. You may not have been using those certificates but to a large extend the person you are today are mostly forged through the experience you gathered while studying.

1. While baging those certificates you learned to be self starter and self sufficient. But one you have disciplined yourself to start a task and see it to the end. Which is very useful in being successful in whatever you chose to do in life. Not many people have that quality.

2. You have learned to work with people from different backgrounds through group work. Working in a group requires interpersonal skills which not so many people have. I can guarantee you that this is one of the thing you learn in schools. How to effectively work with serious and unserious students and effectively complete your task in a timely manner.

3. Setting priorities. While at home our parents/guardians decide what needs to be done and when exactly. But out there in school you become the manager of time. Whether to go "toast" Bola today or collect one round from Nkechi tomorrow evening or just focus read my book since I get exam the day after tomorrow and Knack NK after the exam and toast Bola when you get back next semester when you are fresh and with money. This are skills you acquired without even knowing that you are doing that. I have seen people that can't prioritise and those that can hardly make decisions or think on their feet.

Brother if you look inward you will realise that the version of you today has improved greatly as you wade your way through those institutions.
Edit:

4. Critical thinking skills this one of the skills you acquired going through school and unconsciously apply it in other aspect of your lives.
I don't argue it has it's own positive inclinations, but the only reason I went for those courses is to make more money Germaine to my area of specialty,I don't make Money with any of those degrees and that's a bummer for me
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:35am On Apr 14, 2022
Cuteamigo1:
this is how I felt this morning. I will be 32 by June and I'm just about concluding my msc in economics before ASUU went on strike. I couldn't help it but feel down and depressed because all this years spent pursuing these degrees and nothing to show for it. I'm at a point where I'm considering abandoning all these and just look for other means to survive.
Remember brother,unconventional ideas is better than doing nothing and just going with the flow most of the time, degrees has it's perks certainly but it's not as useful as we were meant to believe
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:36am On Apr 14, 2022
Kajaard:

You are a very confused fellow. Having degrees and qualifications from different fields, no focus. I am an employer of labour and it's such CV's as yours I throw in the trash can.

Blame nobody but yourself. You lack focus. Rubbish.
You sound more like a runt without manners I'm afraid, I'm a jack of all trade son
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Kajaard: 11:37am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

You sound more like a runt without manners I'm afraid, I'm a jack of all trade son

Jack of all trades and a master of none. You are not ashamed to even open your mouth and say this rubbish.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by jamace(m): 11:43am On Apr 14, 2022
ITbomb:
You are educated and that's all that matters.
The main aim of education is to make you think and know how to research solutions and recognise opportunities as well as to be prepared to maximally exploit those opportunities.

The paper is just to tell people that you can function in this sector it doesn't mean you can't choose another sector and function

Gbam! Gbam!! Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 14, 2022
Hmm
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Snoobor(m): 11:45am On Apr 14, 2022
Wasted time & huge capital to start up something tangible
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by sulaak(m): 11:53am On Apr 14, 2022
It's obvious that you are a professional student. But your qualifications in Sociology- Statistics- Demography- Financial Risk Management is the foundation of a career in Data Science, Quantitative analysis and Risk Analysis, there are many free courses in Data Science on Youtube.

I will suggest you start a new career as Data Scientist or Risk Analyst, there are hundreds of jobs on Fiverr, Upwork and Toptal and the pay is extremely good.

omohayek:

Given the unfocused nature of the OP's interests, what will doing all of this achieve? And who exactly would be clamoring to hire someone who has neither a clear interest in the field I'm hiring for, nor any relevant experience to offer? If I were a recruiting manager for a company in need of data-scientists, I know I would rather have candidates with "just" 1 BA as long as they had extras like relevant internships, interesting personal projects and other indicators of real-world experience in successfully applying what they've learned, rather than take a risk on a "perpetual student" whose credentials have no rhyme or reason tying them together, other than an apparent hunger to make money by hook or by crook.

I know things like "passion" don't count for much in Nigeria, but for anyone looking to pick up data-science, programming or ML work on international platforms, it is absolutely vital, and most Nigerian graduates clearly don't have it, let alone "Jack of All Trade" types like the OP, who spend their years endlessly accumulating useless "degrees" from low-quality institutions.

I agree with you that the OP's has wasted valuable time acquiring unnecessary qualifications without any set goals, this is the flaw within Nigeria's education sector, there are virtually no career mentors in Nigeria's secondary schools.

What the Op's should do is remove irrelevant certification and focus on his relevant academic qualifications in Sociology and MSc Statistics which are critical to Risk Management and Data Science.

He is still in his 30s hence he can still build a new career., but he will have to work very hard on any new skills that are required to work as a Data Scientist or in Risk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Goldbw122(m): 11:58am On Apr 14, 2022
I feel the same way before but I sat down and reason with myself and found out that I have been given the greatest key ever, when you are lazy that is when this life would be hard for you, when you want to be stuck and you don't want to be flexible to work and you say to your self that you will alone succeed with education and education alone you don't want to use your hand to work, yes you are expecting a job when you graduate a white collar job but now you are in a messup position and you did not caught your dream anymore then you have the opportunity to find your way in the real life. That you see yourself I hope you are not the type of person that say I will work with biro and paper that won't be a road side Mechanic or a farmer, I would only be in the office typing and working and AC will be blowing me and I would be looking fresh, that is not case now.. mind you education is not a wast because when the opportunity comes you will be happy. Still reading.
Education is like a bed that you lie down on so you have the power to do anything you want to the bed you can make it comfortable for you and uncomfortable so it is your choice. Education is like a tools and a customer, it depends on how you use it, it can fetch you money and you can leave it idle there..
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Cuteamigo1(m): 12:08pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Remember brother,unconventional ideas is better than doing nothing and just going with the flow most of the time, degrees has it's perks certainly but it's not as useful as we were meant to believe
I learnt this lesson late but it's not too late. Thanks for the advice, I'm seriously working on other options to be able to afford a decent life.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by gracealonev: 12:23pm On Apr 14, 2022
No knowledge is ever lost. Please get that.
For example, there is a way your knowledge of statistics will surface and be useful without you realising this even while discussing matters not related to numbers or data. The day that knowledge will give you insight into multi-million dollar investment that others are yet to see, then you'll understand.
shogsman:

I think an ordinary BSC would have sufficed,those other degrees are irrelevant to what I do
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Spizzy1: 12:49pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.

Your education is only a waste if you didn't learn anything.
What/who you're is the summation of all that have gone into you including your education.
You might not have been qualify to be where you're if were less educated.

Education is never too much until we leave this world.
I encourage every young man like me to get education. Money will come not necessarily through one's certificates.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by space9880: 12:53pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.
Are you trying to say education is a scam? To me it is not… I graduated 5yrs ago no job until now but no regrets.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by phemmyfour: 1:14pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Wrong motive for studying
Education gives you skills to make money, it doesn't give money
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Olitimothy(m): 1:16pm On Apr 14, 2022
Education is not a guarantee for job or success
in life,but a refinement of the mind,so that whatever the brain chose to do after,the mind will be well developed and prepared to understand the logic..... It's not a waste of time bro though I don't blame you for saying it shaa,i blame this failed country, Nigeria,because they have no regards or dignity wh
atsoever for labour...and our educational sector has depleted woefully ☹️☹️☹️.. Na God hand we dey shaa!
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by sandra50(f): 1:17pm On Apr 14, 2022
Of all the mistakes I made in life not being a graduate is the only thing I do not regret in life .why can't you travel back abroad..it's better there because most graduate I know are either land agents or doing one work or the other
shogsman:

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by IdeasPro(m): 1:19pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I don't agree with this sweeping conclusion. Believe it or not, your education, in one way or another, is the foundation for open-door you may think you are enjoying right now.

Education is the open sesame to opportunities in life even if it is outside your discipline. You handle things with finesse except you didn't allow the school system to pass through you.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by The5DME(m): 1:25pm On Apr 14, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Lazy. That's what you are OP

Do you mind explaining how you came to the conclusion that the OP is lazy?
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Segzy19: 1:27pm On Apr 14, 2022
Probably you were not guided, hence you just did like jack of all trades...

At least, thanks God that you have a job and you are making a decent living like you said.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Caseless: 1:48pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Yeah that was the idea o
you were wrong. The only time I brought my certificate out was to use it to bail a friend from police cell. I'm in a totally different field now.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by benzion72(m): 1:52pm On Apr 14, 2022
You are well read but not educated. Education is not to get job but to solve societal problem
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by dettolgel: 1:58pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I don't argue it has it's own positive inclinations, but the only reason I went for those courses is to make more money Germaine to my area of specialty,I don't make Money with any of those degrees and that's a bummer for me

You are not making more money tied to the certificate but are you making money based on experiences, skills and knowledge acquire in pursuit of these certificates?
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by airsaylongcome: 2:01pm On Apr 14, 2022
The5DME:

Do you mind explaining how you came to the conclusion that the OP is lazy?

A Degree in Statistics?! With all the low hanging Data Analysts role littered everywhere? Combined with a Degree in Sociology where he can focus on analysing and forecasting consumer behaviour? Even if he is just analysing for the fun of it he will get jobs
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Hassanmaye(m): 2:32pm On Apr 14, 2022
redcliff:

your problem was that your resume had no direction. If I saw your resume as a HR personnel, I will def fling it away without a second thought
Hahahhahahaha please
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Hassanmaye(m): 2:33pm On Apr 14, 2022
Tonytonex:
It's not wasted. Don't look at it from that angle. Like myself, I didn't go to school because of job. If a majority of the people in the north went to school, Nigeria won't be in this mess we are today.
Your Last statement is bitter truth even though I'm from the north
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by sammiewrite(m): 3:05pm On Apr 14, 2022
Anytime topics like this come up, people in the academic sector will quickly jump in to save their jobs and try to hide the fact. The fact is, education isn't what is being practiced in Nigeria currently. Rather, what is being practiced is educational business. It's why courses like sociology are still being offered in our universities. I mean these courses have their place, but where do they fit in the current Nigerian system? I also used to think, the jssce exams we all took, the logic and philosophy and cse202 I studied as an Accounting undergraduate back then, for example, what is the relevance to me today? How can I use this knowledge to solve my own problems or who are the employers that will employ me to apply this knowledge to their business? Yet every year institutions across Nigeria keep offering these obsolete courses.
Something is fundamentally wrong with the education model in Nigeria but anytime people want to raise these issues, people in the education sector will try to blackmail them with all sort of rubbish. I mean, it's now a crime if I earn from something I devote over five years of my life into, with my parents spending well over a million Naira? For me, I have B.Tech and am done doing charity to schools in Nigeria. The learning, assignments, project, exams, results--everything were a joke, irrelevant, and a huge waste of my time.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Vipro(m): 3:24pm On Apr 14, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Its also better to study what you are passionate about or what drives a person, or a degree that can make one independent or impactful in society, its all depends on your goal too.

I observed that your goal is to make money, so you were doing the wrong thing.

And it depends on what you want to use your education for, is your education just for your benefit, or is your aim to also benefit others.

Therefore from your perspective you wasted your time.

Also for a person who is inventive and sees utility in those fields they become useful traditionally, since he or she can reinvent, combine or mix several fields of study to bring forth something new or of value.

Its necessary that an individual knows the value of any field, he is engaged with or can be free to use its value even independently, so in the absence of a Job, he or she can be self creating or motivated, even a rallying point or a valuable assets to his or her self and community.

Therefore appraisal of educative courses, is about the connectedness and meaning of a course to that individual. Many a times, people copy what others do, or do what they are told, without real connectedness or traditional appreciative of a course.

Educative courses In what sense?
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Fantazy(m): 4:10pm On Apr 14, 2022
The truth is, you were born with a Silver spoon; Your parents are loaded so they decided to spend it. They're still more courses you can still study o, those ones you have might not be enough. Courses like, English engineering, Mathematics anatomy, Guns and bullets maintenance, Economic disaster production etc.

Best of luck

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Crafteck1: 4:11pm On Apr 14, 2022
Yes you did, lagos state has many graduates from geography, transport management , regional studies etc but to sanwo olu, its touts that deserve chairman.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by RosyIsBlessed: 4:31pm On Apr 14, 2022
No education is waste my friend.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Firstclick: 4:58pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life. I absolutely love this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNN Zoology Students Afraid To Carry Snakes During Practical Class (Video) / Nigerian Student Rescued After Being Trapped Between 2 Walls For 72 Hours / 2017/2018 Federal University Of Technology, Akure Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.