Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,230 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education (31989 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / I Wasted A Lot Of Time On The Internet - Lady Cries On Quora / Nigeria Has The Lowest Budget On Education, Here Are The Statistics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Felicox(m): 5:12pm On Apr 14, 2022
Well, whether the op likes it or not, he has benefited from his education one way or the other. I would like to know what job he is doing now and how he got it. Education will either equip you with knowledge, either learnt or through exposure and interaction with people. Besides just having the status of a graduate opens doors and earns you respect. It also affects you psychologically.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Lucymercy: 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.
Especially when you see Portable the zazoo Zeh crooner making Mega buck
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 6:10pm On Apr 14, 2022
ppogba:
Feeling that you wasted your time on education shows that you were never educated in the first place.
Shut the errf up.
I have same feeling,and yes, I have also realized education is a waste of time and scam
I'm highly educated,with a first class,best student home and abroad

People like you are the reasons why so many Nigerians still continue to waste their time going for university education
It's a waste of youthss Time
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Roycemadeit(m): 6:12pm On Apr 14, 2022
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
First of all,
Are you a lover of yourself or A Lover of Christ? You seem to be too proud of ur achievements.
Lemme tell you the truth, without JESUS CHRIST in your life, all those certificates will be tissue papers in no distant time.
We have seen PhD holders lobbying to be dangote's truck driver, very pathetic.

Just sit tight, the country will help you understand better.

This is exactly the same thought that threw Europe into the dark ages... There is no benefit in religious belief. Absolutely none. It hasn't solved anything but create chaos everywhere.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by ppogba: 6:14pm On Apr 14, 2022
Antyxx:

Shut the errf up.
I have same feeling,and yes, I have also realized education is a waste of time and scam
I'm highly educated,with a first class,best student home and abroad

People like you are the reasons why so many Nigerians still continue to waste their time going for university education
It's a waste of youthss Time

Ok sir.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 6:17pm On Apr 14, 2022
Alusiizizi:

Your problem is that you mistook the distinction of "professional student" for an actual carreer description which it is definitely not, and btw there are no traditional ideals that promote professional students as a carreer option in any way. Stop deceiving young people into believing that a degree is unnecessary, you do much more harm than good, especially given our embattled educational system here in Nigeria.
People like you are the reasons why young Nigerians still waste their time going for higher education to waste their time
I am highly educated, and I didn't do different things like op,same degrees,same path, best student in all,both home and abroad,first class.,and the op is right, it is a waste of time, waste of youths,etc
The young Nigerians are doing way better right now,I see them all the time on TikTok,some are into businesses at a young age, they are all about making money,not about going to yeye school to waste 4years with ASUU,making 10years.
I live in the best country in the world and its still the same, people are realizing how wasteful education is everywhere.
Most things they teach in uni for 4years can be learnt within a year, and the individual doesn't need to be doing useless courses and doing assignments that will never be helpful for you in life.
I also regret wasting my teenage years in Uni, I finished UNI in my teen years
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 6:18pm On Apr 14, 2022
Lucymercy:
[color=#006600][/color] Especially when you see Portable the zazoo Zeh crooner making Mega buck
As in ehnn, that thing dey pain me die

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Alusiizizi(m): 6:40pm On Apr 14, 2022
Antyxx:

People like you are the reasons why young Nigerians still waste their time going for higher education to waste their time
I am highly educated, and I didn't do different things like op,same degrees,same path, best student in all,both home and abroad,first class.,and the op is right, it is a waste of time, waste of youths,etc
The young Nigerians are doing way better right now,I see them all the time on TikTok,some are into businesses at a young age, they are all about making money,not about going to yeye school to waste 4years with ASUU,making 10years.
I live in the best country in the world and its still the same, people are realizing how wasteful education is everywhere.
Most things they teach in uni for 4years can be learnt within a year, and the individual doesn't need to be doing useless courses and doing assignments that will never be helpful for you in life.
I also regret wasting my teenage years in Uni, I finished UNI in my teen years

But your assorted variety of certificates are mostly worthless. Sociology, Psychology, Dance Theory? What were you planning to do with these? You were "best student"? Whatever that means. You studied basket-weaving in university for crying out loud. In your case it would have been much more sensible if you never attended university in the first place. "Higher education to waste their time"? Is this what you will tell to young people who studied fields like Engineering, Math, Comp. Science and various hard sciences, who now use their skills either as remote-employees or freelancers, mostly as software developers, data scientists and a variety of other niche professions? Don't trivialize higher education before these young people just because you are a failure, despite being "best student", and I would very much appreciate a clear explanation of this dubious distinction. Just be thankful for being gainfully employed and stop presenting yourself as a graduate.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by vistarDex: 6:42pm On Apr 14, 2022
@Antyxx you have no doubt made a valid point, but one thing we should not forget in a hurry, is that they is alot of variable, no path is 100% certain to financial success, some people still make it via a university degree, others make it's by venturing into Business, while for others university Education is a step stone to opportunity not entirely related to their field, let take the case of the musician Cheque, he is an Engineering graduate but he is presently into music, he said he started is music career during ASUU strike, we should not be quick to condemned university Education, if for one thing it's install discipline on those who want to take their life serious, Ps I am still an undergraduate. Life is just like the financial market anything can happen. Sorry if they is any grammatical error.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by elonize(m): 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2022
U even studied abroad... And then u mumuishly came back to Nigeria....education is never a scam,its just more than passing examinations...it's an eye opener..
Frm what you are saying...if u b illiterate, u for too worst....dat means wen Pppo say education na scam,u cannot shun dem.
Number 1...education is light...education is not only about papers,it shapes ur character... If na just paper u go collect ,den u failed...
When ppo say education is a fraud,I tell dem,if Nigeria was socially organized like how u.s is,u wouldn't open dat mouth to say that... Again it was what d founding fathers did..wat dey put on ground,is wat made d western world wat it is today....
Anyone going to abroad to study,frm der scram...may God give some ppo sense...
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by ashetu(m): 7:09pm On Apr 14, 2022
[quote author=shogsman post=111904795]I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.[/quote

I know how it feels
But so in as much you are doing well in life,that is the Koko
more blessings bro.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by suffering: 7:41pm On Apr 14, 2022
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living
This is all which matters at the end of the day. If I knew I’d do a handwork for three or four years before going to uni. However I can’t tell if I’d face low self esteem from the choice. Though I saw my time in uni as a waste, I had to learn from it to show my future children possibilities other than schooling further.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by chymes0359(m): 8:53pm On Apr 14, 2022
Bounceboune7:
I stopped at b.tech not cos I can't afford to further but in my own world,u continue only when u have a clear cut pattern.

What I do to make money is not even related to my certificate so y should I further?

Majority of people I knew that went further spent millions only to come back and starr job hunting.

So y not establish a business with the money n b your own boss,imagine a masters holder earning 50k per month whereas someone that used 1 million to start a hustle can employ him conveniently

Bro I feel you.

the Op just made a point about education not gonna be enough for ones financial freedom and so tyrants are here hushing him about how I serious and vision less he is while pursing education.

Education never ends coz every part of life is education its self.

someone like me with B. tech in Mathematics and computer science quite coding trash and web development for business that meet my ends need, while using my educational knowledge to run my business.

my two best pals are out there in overseas urging me to come over for my masters , of which I will do at my own convenient at ease or better still won't do if and only if it does not contribute to what am building for my business.

Just like when I run a Google Digital program on Marketing which align to my business..

Education won't put food on people table, if you are not smart enough to convert the knowledge to something meaningful, else you keep on doing all the masters and Ph.D's in vain..
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by chymes0359(m): 9:03pm On Apr 14, 2022
elonize:
U even studied abroad... And then u mumuishly came back to Nigeria....education is never a scam,its just more than passing examinations...it's an eye opener..
Frm what you are saying...if u b illiterate, u for too worst....dat means wen Pppo say education na scam,u cannot shun dem.
Number 1...education is light...education is not only about papers,it shapes ur character... If na just paper u go collect ,den u failed...
When ppo say education is a fraud,I tell dem,if Nigeria was socially organized like how u.s is,u wouldn't open dat mouth to say that... Again it was what d founding fathers did..wat dey put on ground,is wat made d western world wat it is today....
Anyone going to abroad to study,frm der scram...may God give some ppo sense...

you trying to muster words or saying something..
You can't even write straight for one to understand.
I had to work on my self to understand what you are trying to say.
not that I really understand o

Modified
I quoted you because you are trying to make a point why stressing the hell out of me to read what you are writing.
Your hand writing go bad o. grin
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by kaboninc(m): 9:49pm On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.

No knowledge is a waste
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by JohnnA1: 10:34pm On Apr 14, 2022
Freeko4:

its better to be jack of all trade than being master of one because it pays to be versatile.
Bruce Lee said, ''I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.''
Think again...
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by yongg: 11:28pm On Apr 14, 2022
JohnnA1:
Bruce Lee said, ''I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.''
Think again...

None is outrightly better... They both have advantages and disadvantages. However, all the one you guys keep referring to as "jack of all trades" needs to do to get benefits of both schools of thought is to choose one and focus on reaching the highest level therein while still having vast real world knowledge with potential for application.

In order words, in the spirit of Jeet Kun Do, one can expand on your quote which makes the learner of the 10,000 kicks an masterful attacker. But don't forget what path the pioneers himself took to reach the conclusion which advises the same vast knowledge path while choosing to focus on what you have found useful/cherished/more practical/realistic while discarding less practical ones.

Sometimes, you don't realize the value of what you have learnt until a problem, or a question or a necessity (mother of inventions) forces your mind to unearth things from your different learning experiences. By the time the source of the application of all that knowledge is tracked you find that it was taken from a wide array of knowledge disciplines. And viola, the first model of the solution has been found, it can only get easier from there as fine-tuning only optimizes the solution to an even better version.

No knowledge is a waste, really... Only memory recall has to match correct application to a compatible problem solvable by the aforementioned.

Sometimes memory recall happens subconsciously like during a dreams or agitated state (pressure)

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 3:51am On Apr 15, 2022
Alusiizizi:

But your assorted variety of certificates are mostly worthless. Sociology, Psychology, Dance Theory? What were you planning to do with these? You were "best student"? Whatever that means. You studied basket-weaving in university for crying out loud. In your case it would have been much more sensible if you never attended university in the first place. "Higher education to waste their time"? Is this what you will tell to young people who studied fields like Engineering, Math, Comp. Science and various hard sciences, who now use their skills either as remote-employees or freelancers, mostly as software developers, data scientists and a variety of other niche professions? Don't trivialize higher education before these young people just because you are a failure, despite being "best student", and I would very much appreciate a clear explanation of this dubious distinction. Just be thankful for being gainfully employed and stop presenting yourself as a graduate.
I know that you are dumb from the moment I start reading the trash you wrote. I'm sure you are one local villager, lol. Listen and listen good, again everywhere, university degree is a waste of time. If you are exposed you will know majority of software developers,data scientist only did certificate courses,boot camps etc. To clarify how unexposed you are, data science wasn't done as a degree until some years back.
You are just one clueless mofo, who either had luck to gain employment after university,and thus claiming the degree is useful(if you are not lying because I'm 80% sure you are uneducated and broke,but I will give you. 20% of truthful possibility)
In elaboration of how naive, unexposed and unwise that you are, you mentioned basket weaving as useless and claiming 3courses are gaining employment, what is the percentage of those people in a population of over 200,000population of Nigerians, even if they gain employment as you have said, it's still a total failure and a show that higher education is a waste of time.
People like you are the dumb professors Nigeria has,and politicians who doesn't think outside the box,and why Nigeria is backward because in your low IQ brain, people who have interest, talents, in basket weaving and all other things you mentioned doesn't deserve to have source of income,and to live?
How many developed Nation has her citizens studying just 3courses and they progressed?

It's a shame I'm even replying a low life like you,immaa drrop the pen right now, don't hv time for dumb folks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 3:55am On Apr 15, 2022
chymes0359:

Bro I feel you.

the Op just made a point about education not gonna be enough for ones financial freedom and so tyrants are here hushing him about how I serious and vision less he is while pursing education.

Education never ends coz every part of life is education its self.

someone like me with B. tech in Mathematics and computer science quite coding trash and web development for business that meet my ends need, while using my educational knowledge to run my business.

my two best pals are out there in overseas urging me to come over for my masters , of which I will do at my own convenient at ease or better still won't do if and only if it does not contribute to what am building for my business.

Just like when I run a Google Digital program on Marketing which align to my business..

Education won't put food on people table, if you are not smart enough to convert the knowledge to something meaningful, else you keep on doing all the masters and Ph.D's in vain..
I live abroad and folks here would say do PhD because of your thirst to learn and research. It won't change nothing or bring any food to your table by its own

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 4:06am On Apr 15, 2022
vistarDex:
@Antyxx you have no doubt made a valid point, but one thing we should not forget in a hurry, is that they is alot of variable, no path is 100% certain to financial success, some people still make it via a university degree, others make it's by venturing into Business, while for others university Education is a step stone to opportunity not entirely related to their field, let take the case of the musician Cheque, he is an Engineering graduate but he is presently into music, he said he started is music career during ASUU strike, we should not be quick to condemned university Education, if for one thing it's install discipline on those who want to take their life serious, Ps I am still an undergraduate. Life is just like the financial market anything can happen. Sorry if they is any grammatical error.
Boy, if you are still in school,don't drop out,but if na yeye course you they do and you still dey 200level, you can either drop out or go to poly to study a better course.
And yes, Education is good,but in this context we are referring to higher institution system of education, which I'm saying,it's a waste of time.
My advice for you is to concentrate on your passion,, see how you can make money from it,while going to school just to have second class ,lower or upper. Don't make education your focus,but rather how you will earn money and live comfortably
All tech courses are good,but make sure you concentrate on building your knowledge outside of the school system and your lecturers, they don't know Jack
Most of them have never been in the outside world and see how life is
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Alusiizizi(m): 8:08am On Apr 15, 2022
Antyxx:

I know that you are dumb from the moment I start reading the trash you wrote. I'm sure you are one local villager, lol. Listen and listen good, again everywhere, university degree is a waste of time. If you are exposed you will know majority of software developers,data scientist only did certificate courses,boot camps etc. To clarify how unexposed you are, data science wasn't done as a degree until some years back.
You are just one clueless mofo, who either had luck to gain employment after university,and thus claiming the degree is useful(if you are not lying because I'm 80% sure you are uneducated and broke,but I will give you. 20% of truthful possibility)
In elaboration of how naive, unexposed and unwise that you are, you mentioned basket weaving as useless and claiming 3courses are gaining employment, what is the percentage of those people in a population of over 200,000population of Nigerians, even if they gain employment as you have said, it's still a total failure and a show that higher education is a waste of time.
People like you are the dumb professors Nigeria has,and politicians who doesn't think outside the box,and why Nigeria is backward because in your low IQ brain, people who have interest, talents, in basket weaving and all other things you mentioned doesn't deserve to have source of income,and to live?
How many developed Nation has her citizens studying just 3courses and they progressed?

It's a shame I'm even replying a low life like you,immaa drrop the pen right now, don't hv time for dumb folks

Clearly you have no idea what data science is. You think you can learn this in "boot-camp"? Data science is strongly rooted in Bayesian statistics which is a sub-field of mathematics traditionally studied in universities, and yes, the vast majority of software developers obtained certificates from universities, most in computer science with a significant number coming from Engineering, Mathematics and hard sciences. Why is this so? Because a lot of the knowledge gained from such fields are readily applicable in software development Your problem is that you still believe that the certificate is the end on its own, granting no value whatsoever to the knowledge and discipline gained from the educational experience. This is what pushed you to pursue some dozens of certificates in basket-weaving fields without actually learning much of anything or gaining any valuable experience. All you have are certificates and not much else. You realize that now and instead of owning your short-comings and mistakes, you seek to mis-guide youth who might potentially gain valuable education from the higher institutions, deceiving yourself with misconceptions regarding certificates and university education in general.

I now see no point in continuing this discourse as it is clear now that you have no interest whatsoever in constructive argument but rather self-consolation.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by elonize(m): 11:01am On Apr 15, 2022
chymes0359:

you trying to muster words or saying something..
You can't even write straight for one to understand.
I had to work on my self to understand what you are trying to say.
not that I really understand o

Modified
I quoted you because you are trying to make a point why stressing the hell out of me to read what you are writing.
Your hand writing go bad o. grin
wink cheesy cry kiss cool

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Antyxx: 2:05pm On Apr 15, 2022
Alusiizizi:

Clearly you have no idea what data science is. You think you can learn this in "boot-camp"? Data science is strongly rooted in Bayesian statistics which is a sub-field of mathematics traditionally studied in universities, and yes, the vast majority of software developers obtained certificates from universities, most in computer science with a significant number coming from Engineering, Mathematics and hard sciences. Why is this so? Because a lot of the knowledge gained from such fields are readily applicable in software development Your problem is that you still believe that the certificate is the end on its own, granting no value whatsoever to the knowledge and discipline gained from the educational experience. This is what pushed you to pursue some dozens of certificates in basket-weaving fields without actually learning much of anything or gaining any valuable experience. All you have are certificates and not much else. You realize that now and instead of owning your short-comings and mistakes, you seek to mis-guide youth who might potentially gain valuable education from the higher institutions, deceiving yourself with misconceptions regarding certificates and university education in general.

I now see no point in continuing this discourse as it is clear now that you have no interest whatsoever in constructive argument but rather self-consolation.
Keep showing how unexposed and dumb you are. And again I live in a first class country,with data scientist surrounding me,and I also work in Tech for your information. You don't know Jack about tech. People get jobs without going to schools at all in tech. My company just hired a teenage boy who has been learning tech on his own without any certification. I will leave you with your brainlessness. But stop deceiving the youths, this is not 1995
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Arrowss(m): 2:58pm On Apr 15, 2022
Ok, but first of all, lemi correct you, you said you wasted your time in education, that was not Education, it was schooling, there is difference between schooling and education, schooling is just a unit or part of education. Now take note, the school is just to sharpen you as root to becoming anything you wish in life, those courses are just areas of specialisations, just a guide so you won't wonder that what did you actually come to do here? And that what are you studying? Those courses are just something to identify you with, if you lay emphacies on them, then you will be limited to what you can become when you go out there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Change Your Jamb Details- Phone Number/ Email 2018/2019 Academic Session / Kaduna Poly Student Falls From 3-Storey Building In Kaduna / Female Children Are More Beneficial To The Family Than Male Children-oppose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.